Page 102 of 124 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2465

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

Going to work on altering the deck for current meta.

Feb 2014
    Santa Fe Texas

It looks to be a lot of creature based decks, maybe adding All is Dust main will help the deck out?

Quote Originally Posted by dudedusty View Post
    So, I have been considering adding 1-2 Worldbreakers main, but don't want to screw with the mana base. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, so this is all theory, but would anyone here see an issue with replacing SSG with Elvish Spirit Guide? I can't think of any, but if someone could, it'd be great to hear about.
    The singleton Worldbreaker is fine with 4 Cavern of Souls and 3 ESG. The 2nd is not fine with just 7ish sources

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Very few Eldrazi decks at the top tables in Louisville.

Why is Eldrazi not doing so well in Legacy anymore at big events?
    My theory is that most Eldrazi players are somewhat new to the format. Its a "cheap" way into an expensive format and is therefore an attractive first choice of deck. However it is also a format that rewards the experienced player, making Eldrazi's results in big tournaments rather non-existing. How many top-tier pilots are actually on Eldrazi at a GP? (No offense, Darkness)

All theories. Please question it all.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

So after analyzing the meta I have decided to steer away from Noloam's colorless version, The meta is evolving to be more creature and Sneak and Show centric and if Eldrazi is to have a place at the top of the meta than killing sacred cows must become an option. I am going to be playing 100 matches with a W/u variant of Eldrazi for Displacer main deck and Drowner in the board. The goal is to keep a low curve to be able to have mana open late game to control the board in creature matches. It also helps against SnS and Mariet Liage decks. If the thread requires me to go under up and coming or established I will relocate this new idea. Here is the list for the curious ones.

Creatures (22)
    4x Endless One
    4x Eldrazi Mimic
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    4x Reality Smasher
    3x Eldrazi Displacer
    3x Matter Reshaper

Spells (13)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Lotus Petal
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    2x Dismember
    2x Warping Wail

Lands (25)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Adarkar Wastes
    4x Eye of Ugin
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    2x Karakas
    2x City of Traitors
    1x Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Drowner of Hope
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x All is Dust
    1x Warping Wail

Feel free to post opinions. I know the topic has been discussed in the past but I am looking for the future. The white splash gives you an edge on creatures and sneak and show. I know that Lotus Petal is more of a liability than SSG, but I don't feel that con outweighs the pros of going into the splash.

@Darkness this colorless build looks interesting http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=14414&d=286234&f=LE but can't afford the forcefield.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Abantau View Post
    @Darkness this colorless build looks interesting http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=14414&d=286234&f=LE but can't afford the forcefield.
    Looks cool, Doesn't assist you in controlling the board state that much.

Feb 2014
    Santa Fe Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    So after analyzing the meta I have decided to steer away from Noloam's colorless version, The meta is evolving to be more creature and Sneak and Show centric and if Eldrazi is to have a place at the top of the meta than killing sacred cows must become an option. I am going to be playing 100 matches with a W/u variant of Eldrazi for Displacer main deck and Drowner in the board. The goal is to keep a low curve to be able to have mana open late game to control the board in creature matches. It also helps against SnS and Mariet Liage decks. If the thread requires me to go under up and coming or established I will relocate this new idea. Here is the list for the curious ones.

Creatures (22)
    4x Endless One
    4x Eldrazi Mimic
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    4x Reality Smasher
    3x Eldrazi Displacer
    3x Matter Reshaper

Spells (13)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Lotus Petal
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    2x Dismember
    2x Warping Wail

Lands (25)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Adarkar Wastes
    4x Eye of Ugin
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    2x Karakas
    2x City of Traitors
    1x Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Drowner of Hope
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x All is Dust
    1x Warping Wail

Feel free to post opinions. I know the topic has been discussed in the past but I am looking for the future. The white splash gives you an edge on creatures and sneak and show. I know that Lotus Petal is more of a liability than SSG, but I don't feel that con outweighs the pros of going into the splash.

With the meta evolving, is The G/W talisman seems okay, Myabe replace the lotus petal with them, and run main all is dust? The format seems to be very creature heavy right now

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Creatures (22)
    4x Endless One
    4x Eldrazi Mimic
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    4x Reality Smasher
    3x Eldrazi Displacer
    3x Matter Reshaper

Spells (13)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Lotus Petal
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    2x Dismember
    2x Warping Wail

Lands (25)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Adarkar Wastes
    4x Eye of Ugin
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    2x Karakas
    2x City of Traitors
    1x Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Drowner of Hope
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x All is Dust
    1x Warping Wail

Great! Exactly my idea I kept posting - The Displaceer is great in matchups that are hard for colorless Eldrazi (Lands, Reanimator, Sneak & Show) and he is also not shabby just in fair creature magic e.g. against Tarmogoyf. You just have to have some non-Ancient Tomb lands or else ;)

I like the Drowner Sideboard - Great at keeping Grisel and friends in check.

How about replacing another Dismember with a Warping Wail? This also helps against Reanimator and S&S. I am playing 3 Warping Wail and no Dismember as you now have some additional removal in the form of Displacer/Drowner.
    Chalice on 1

Why play Drowner of Hoper over Endbringer? My feeling is that Endbringer is easier to play and is basically a more powerful Drowner of hope?

In addition, I think that 4x Adarkar Wastes is too much. Majority of list playing 4 Displacers have only 2 pain lands (in addition to 4 caverns and 2 karakas).

Actually, I am playing this list:

1 [] Caves of Koilos
    1 [MM] Tower of the Magistrate
    1 [] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 [LG] Karakas
    2 [TE] Wasteland
    3 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
    4 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
    4 [WWK] Eye of Ugin

2 [] Endbringer
    3 [] Eldrazi Displacer
    3 [] Matter Reshaper
    4 [] Eldrazi Mimic
    4 [] Endless One
    4 [] Reality Smasher
    4 [] Thought-Knot Seer

2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void

2 [NPH] Dismember
    2 [] Warping Wail

SB: 2 [] Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 2 [M14] Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 3 [ROE] All Is Dust
    SB: 4 [LRW] Thorn of Amethyst

I have never loose versus any Show and Tell/Sneak attack deck. Reanimator is also easy thanks to Karakas/Leyline and Thorn.

Lands is still very hard cause they now play 4 wasteland & 4 ghost quarter. I think we have to mulligan and find Leyline to be able to beat them.

I have only one Caves of koilos cause I have only 3 displacer and I have no problem to find a white mana source (7 in the deck) to cast it.
    I have one tower of magistrate cause in my meta is heavily Baleful Strix (but still didn't test it).

Displacer is a very nice guy. In addition to block creature in aggro matchup, you can combo with TKS to remove angels/terminus from Miracle matchup or control draw versus combo matchup. You can also remove batterskull's germ. However, this guy need a lot of mana to be effective...

Quote Originally Posted by hofzge View Post
    How about replacing another Dismember with a Warping Wail? This also helps against Reanimator and S&S. I am playing 3 Warping Wail and no Dismember as you now have some additional removal in the form of Displacer/Drowner.
    This is really interesting. I have no ideas about how the deck is worse if I remove dismembers. However, I am not sure to pack additional Warping wail cause this card is sometime awesome and sometime just did nothing. Two feel nice.
    I was thinking about add a fourth displacer (but if you have already one guy in the battlefield, the second one is useless) or pack the fourth reshapper... In addition, we can have some revoker MD or I was thinking (with additional caves of koilos) about 2 Bearer of silence. Not sure if it's a good idea but this guy is flying and can remove a lot of problems, but it's 4 ccm whith 1 black...
    Maybe add some lotus petal to help mana could be a very good idea (remove 3 reshapper and 2 dislocation for 2 bearer and 3 petal?)...

One last thing about switching from colorless to white/eldrazi, you will loose a lot of speed but become more control. The late game is also more powerful. Maybe it's better in the meta actually... But it's sure funnier to play!
    Last edited by benoasan; 01-11-2017 at 05:45 AM.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by benoasan View Post
    Why play Drowner of Hoper over Endbringer? My feeling is that Endbringer is easier to play and is basically a more powerful Drowner of hope?
    I guess if you play 4 Displacers the Drowner is better - otherwise I agree that the Endbringer is usually better.

Also agree on the Adarkar wastes: With 4 Cavern, 3 Lotus, 2 Adarkar Wastes and 2 Karakas for the Displacer and 4 Cavern, 3 Lotus and 2 Adarkar Wastes for the Drowner (a late game card) you should be golden. I play only monoW and play 4 Cavern, 3 Lotus, 2 Plains and 2 Karakas for the Displacer and have seldomly had problems with that.
    Chalice on 1

Went 10-5 at the GP, played the following list:

4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Endless One
    3 Matter Reshaper
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    2 Oblivion Sower
    1 Endbringer
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Dismember
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Thorn of Amethyst

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eye of Ugin
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls

Sideboard:
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Torpor Orb
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    2 Confusion in the Ranks
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 All is Dust

I played:

Round 1: B/G Pox - Won
    Round 2: D&T - Lost
    Round 3: Punishing Jund - Lost
    Round 4: Dark Maverick - Won
    Round 5: Shardless BUG- Won
    Round 6: Fish - Won
    Round 7: Miracles - Won
    Round 8: Shardless BUG - Lost
    Round 9: Miracles - Won
    Round 10: Fish - Won
    Round 11: Infect - Won
    Round 12: Sneak and Show - Lost
    Round 13: Punishing Maverick - Won
    Round 14: D&T - Won
    Round 15: MUD - Lost

Overall, I got pretty lucky and ran into pretty favorable matchups and dodged some of the really bad ones until late. The only matches where I felt hopelessly behind were the Round 8 Shardless BUG match and the Round 12 Sneak and Show match. Especially in the Sneak and Show match, game 2 I mulliganed into this hand: Mimic, Pithing Needle, Wasteland, Endbringer, Factory, Mimic with a Temple on top. I figured I could win against any of his Show of Tell targets... except for Omniscience, which was the one he had.

Going forward, I think I might switch out the Confusion in the Ranks for Emrakuls instead. I also want to put Warping Wail back in the 75, but Torpor Orb over-performed in the D&T matchup and I have a feeling it would do well in Aluren and Elves also.

Maybe if you're having trouble with Omniscience you could try out Ashen Rider? Although it does not cover Sneak Attack.

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity what matchup is Torpor Orb mainly for? I'm sure it's very obvious and I'm just missing it.

EDIT 2: Aluren, nevermind.

So you are taking out Confusion in the Ranks even though the loss to SnT could have been won had you drawn it. Am I missing something? Isn't mainboard amethyst just worse than Warping wail?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    So you are taking out Confusion in the Ranks even though the loss to SnT could have been won had you drawn it. Am I missing something? Isn't mainboard amethyst just worse than Warping wail?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Mainboard Amethyst may very well be worse than Warping Wail - it was kind of underwhelming all day and didn't slow down decks in game 1 as much as I thought it would.

The thing to consider with Confusion over Emrakul is being able to actually cast it if need be versus Sneak and Show. Really, I wish those two slots were for sideboard cards that had a broader range than against one deck, but there isn't much that is available that fits that niche.

Quote Originally Posted by gozak83 View Post
    Mainboard Amethyst may very well be worse than Warping Wail - it was kind of underwhelming all day and didn't slow down decks in game 1 as much as I thought it would.

The thing to consider with Confusion over Emrakul is being able to actually cast it if need be versus Sneak and Show. Really, I wish those two slots were for sideboard cards that had a broader range than against one deck, but there isn't much that is available that fits that niche.
    Well, you have monkey mana, plus afaik SnT lists I've been seeing are running 2-3 moon effects sb. I can't imagine they leave those out games 2/3 against eldrazi. Or do you mean that 5 is hard to get to if moon is on the field?

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by gozak83 View Post
    I think the one and only thing that fits into this category is Spine of Ish Sah which accidentally also kills Blood Moon.
    Chalice on 1

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Well, you have monkey mana, plus afaik SnT lists I've been seeing are running 2-3 moon effects sb. I can't imagine they leave those out games 2/3 against eldrazi. Or do you mean that 5 is hard to get to if moon is on the field?
    Sorry, I meant the RR is hard to get if they don't have Blood Moon. If they do, then everything is gravy. That being said, I am seeing more Back to Basics, so the free roll of getting RR off of Blood Moon is decreasing.

Quote Originally Posted by hofzge
    I think the one and only thing that fits into this category is Spine of Ish Sah which accidentally also kills Blood Moon.
    Yeah, Spine might just be better than Confusion in that spot.

May 2015
    Philadelphia

@darkness

Why are you totally reworking the deck because it didn't do well at 1 tournament? If you're worried about S&T/reanimator, why not just increase the number of warping wails or additional karakas in the SB? Splashing white for displacer has its advantages, but it decreases consistency.

Take a look at the Brainstorm Show's eldrazi list they came up with in February of last year. It runs 4 Revokers, 2 endbringers, and 3 warping wails which all seem good against fatty decks.

Creatures (22)

4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Endless One
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    2 Endbringer

Spells (14)

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere
    3 Warping Wail
    2 Dismember
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands (24)

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    2 Mishra’s Factory

SB (15)

1 Dismember
    3 Spatial Contortion
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Winter Orb
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Mindbreak Trap

Jan 2017
    Australia

Did you really put winter orb in the SB of a deck that needs access to like 18* mana to function?

*possibly slight exaggeration but not by much

Thread Information