Page 116 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2465

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

I think Dampening Sphere will see a bit of play in SBs since a big part of the meta is X/Stompy variants nowadays.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I don't understand, with MUD I have an amazing game win% and with this deck I can't seem to win. At all. I see its raw power but I can't seem to win.

Do you guys mulligan aggressively with it? And if so, what cards are you looking for in your opening hands?

I run a very standard Eldrazi list, so no need to post it (they all seem to be the same).
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    I don't understand, with MUD I have an amazing game win% and with this deck I can't seem to win. At all. I see its raw power but I can't seem to win.

Do you guys mulligan aggressively with it? And if so, what cards are you looking for in your opening hands?

I run a very standard Eldrazi list, so no need to post it (they all seem to be the same).
    I usually look for a couple sol lands, an early threat or a lock piece (Chalice).
    Chalice on 1 is a great play against many many decks - if they counter it well that means you might be able to jam a beater.

I wouldn't say I mulligan aggressively but I've gone down to 4 (didn't work), I've also kept bad 7s for a laugh and won.

I kept a hand of 1 sol land, 2 SSG and TKS so I could exile something turn 1 twice last time I played, that was not a good keep haha.
    Play All The Decks!

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post

So I feel that the most important skills to pilot with this deck are Mulligans/MU knowledge and Sideboarding. Since you have no way of manipulating and very little actual card advantage knowing what hands to keep in what MU is a must for this deck. I think T1 Chalice hands are always a keep going in blind if you have a follow up play since the Chalice can produce virtual card advantage but I find that the strongest starts with the deck are Mimic/ Chalice on T1 followed up with non stop creatures. Putting pressure on your opponent quickly is the best way to win in game 1. Games 2/3 require the original skill set I described. Knowing what cards are bad and what cards are good is super important. I have an old sideboard guide I made last year which is somewhat outdated but the basic principals can be used. I also have my Match Up analysis guide up for more data if you wanna look at that.

One last topic I would suggest thinking about is wasteland decks. Wasteland is so much more powerful against us than non sol land decks because they basically are killing 2 lands instead of one. So knowing if you're gonna need lands (ie Mull)to play around wasteland is super important against decks like Delver, DnT, Lands esc.

Hope that helps some.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I have played about 80 matches and and swapping -2 Walking Ballista for +2 Oblivion Sower for the fair MU push. I may change to to main deck warping wails.

I will be working on an updated sideboard guide this week expect it to be done by end of next weekend.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I have played about 80 matches and and swapping -2 Walking Ballista for +2 Oblivion Sower for the fair MU push. I may change to to main deck warping wails.

I will be working on an updated sideboard guide this week expect it to be done by end of next weekend.
    Looking forward to it. I ran your list at a local tonight to a 3-1 finish, beating R/W Painter, U/W StoneBlade, and Grixis Delver, losing to Turbo Depths in the 3rd round. Any suggestions on how to board for that match? Or, even more important, how to mulligan?
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Looking forward to it. I ran your list at a local tonight to a 3-1 finish, beating R/W Painter, U/W StoneBlade, and Grixis Delver, losing to Turbo Depths in the 3rd round. Any suggestions on how to board for that match? Or, even more important, how to mulligan?
    Turbo Depths is a pretty bad MU they have speed and consistency and combo through lands.

-2 Oblivion Sower or Basllista, whichever you are on (too slow and does clock or interact)
    -1 Mishra's Factory (Games don't go long no need for grind cards)
    -4 Matter Reshaper (Games don't go long no need for grind cards)

On the Play
    +2 Sorcerous Spyglass (allows you to hit hexmage, thespian stage or even safe keeper. One of our best)
    +2 Warping Wail (Counter's Discard/ kill's their creatures)
    +2 Thorn of Amethyst (Can slow them down while we pressure them)
    +1 Karakas (One of the MU we have 2 Karakas in 75 for)

On the Draw
    +2 Sorcerous Spyglass (allows you to hit hexmage, thespian stage or even safe keeper. One of our best)
    +2 Warping Wail (Counter's Discard/ kill's their creatures)
    +1 Karakas (One of the MU we have 2 Karakas in 75 for)
    +1 Ratchet Bomb (Interacts with creatures)
    +1 All is Dust (Super slow but we are desperate)

Basically Chalice on 1 in to TKS is the obvious best start. Most of their cards are 1 CMC. As for Mulligans, you don't need to worry about card count as much as quality since the games should go quickly so having a fast clock and good disruption is worth it in my opinion. I want to emphasize that this is probably a 30/70 MU in their favor so don't sweat if you find it difficult taking them down.

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Looking forward to the side board guide.

I took Walking Ballista out a little while ago and haven't been missing him.
    Play All The Decks!

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Gwathnar View Post
    Looking forward to the side board guide.

I took Walking Ballista out a little while ago and haven't been missing him.
    I've consistently been disappointed by Walking Ballista. That might be due to my local meta (no Death and Taxes or Elves), but even against Grixis Delver I was underwhelmed. The mana so rarely lined up, and required taking a considerable amount of damage from Ancient Tombs.
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I’m working on creating the Eldrazi Stompy discord channel. Should be up by mid April. Once up I will post and a PM for invite wil grant access.

Serum Powder

In 2016, it looks like NoLoam and others worked on a Serum Powder + Eternal Scourge list briefly before coming to the conclusion that it was too janky.

But that was two years ago... there are a few changes that might position this better:

• Chalice of the Void is at an all-time high in power level. So finding it in your opening hand gives us more % points to win the game than before. Cantrips, DRS, Cabal Therapy, Fatal Push are seeing all-time high play. Furthermore, Abrupt Decay is seeing all-time low play since its printing.
    • Blood Moon is more common than ever, a typical "hoser" against us; Serum Powder gives us a Main Deck mana rock that can produce <C>.
    • Finding explosive draws featuring a higher critical mass of cards is important to beating Grixis Delver. Granted, Serum Powder itself is not a great card to have in hand... I wonder if the drawback is worthwhile here?

The success of the so-called "Colorless Eldrazi" deck in Modern gives something of a proof-of-concept. Can we supercharge that idea to make it Legacy powerful?

A few questions where I'd love your input:

• Cards like Leyline of the Void get better. So do Chalice of the Void, Eye of Ugin, and Thorn of Amethyst - these are cards that we always want in our opener and we have a higher chance to see them there as a result of Serum Powder mulligans. What other cards might we want to see more consistently on Turn 1?
    • More frequently mulliganing to a Turn 1 Chalice means that we'll encounter less Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolts, and Fatal Pushes. As a result, creatures become better. We probably want to maximize the number of creatures in the deck, but does that mean we cut cards like All is Dust or Dismember?
    • If creatures encounter less removal, might we want to play 4 Mishra's Factory or even more?
    • How good/bad is Eternal Scourge in this meta? It certainly mitigates some of the damage from Serum Powder. But unlike Modern, we won't utilize Relic of Progenitus to recur it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I hope that Powder Eldrazi might become Legacy viable, especially in certain metas.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by korstructure View Post
    Serum Powder

In 2016, it looks like NoLoam and others worked on a Serum Powder + Eternal Scourge list briefly before coming to the conclusion that it was too janky.

But that was two years ago... there are a few changes that might position this better:

• Chalice of the Void is at an all-time high in power level. So finding it in your opening hand gives us more % points to win the game than before. Cantrips, DRS, Cabal Therapy, Fatal Push are seeing all-time high play. Furthermore, Abrupt Decay is seeing all-time low play since its printing.
    • Blood Moon is more common than ever, a typical "hoser" against us; Serum Powder gives us a Main Deck mana rock that can produce <C>.
    • Finding explosive draws featuring a higher critical mass of cards is important to beating Grixis Delver. Granted, Serum Powder itself is not a great card to have in hand... I wonder if the drawback is worthwhile here?

The success of the so-called "Colorless Eldrazi" deck in Modern gives something of a proof-of-concept. Can we supercharge that idea to make it Legacy powerful?

A few questions where I'd love your input:

• Cards like Leyline of the Void get better. So do Chalice of the Void, Eye of Ugin, and Thorn of Amethyst - these are cards that we always want in our opener and we have a higher chance to see them there as a result of Serum Powder mulligans. What other cards might we want to see more consistently on Turn 1?
    • More frequently mulliganing to a Turn 1 Chalice means that we'll encounter less Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolts, and Fatal Pushes. As a result, creatures become better. We probably want to maximize the number of creatures in the deck, but does that mean we cut cards like All is Dust or Dismember?
    • If creatures encounter less removal, might we want to play 4 Mishra's Factory or even more?
    • How good/bad is Eternal Scourge in this meta? It certainly mitigates some of the damage from Serum Powder. But unlike Modern, we won't utilize Relic of Progenitus to recur it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I hope that Powder Eldrazi might become Legacy viable, especially in certain metas.
    Don't give me ideas right before the GP, but I think the idea may warrant revisiting. The only question I have is how much chaff does the deck really have? There are flex spots to be sure, but they're often filled with cards tailored to specific metagames, or situations that our normal game plan can't handle.
    -ktkenshinx-

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    I've consistently been disappointed by Walking Ballista. That might be due to my local meta (no Death and Taxes or Elves), but even against Grixis Delver I was underwhelmed. The mana so rarely lined up, and required taking a considerable amount of damage from Ancient Tombs.
    Same here, Endless One was always better. Double X killed it for me.
    Now don't get me wrong, he's a great card but didn't work out for me.

I went 2-1 tonight at my local LGS with the deck. Lost to my buddy playing some sort of RUG Delver brew - 3 Tarmogoyf steam rolled me in game 2.
    Other then that I faced ANT - some early tax locked him out.
    Last match was Dredge was I was nervous about - lost game 1, game 2 he coincided the second I played Leyline of the Void on turn 0. Game 3 was grindy, no Leyline and he only got 1 Bridge in then when a second hit I chump blocked to get rid of it. Ended up tutoring via Eye of Ugin for Endbringer and pinging him for 1 on my next up keep to win the match.

Love the deck, constantly getting better with it. The locals are actually running side board hate to try and combat the deck lol.
    Play All The Decks!

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Haven’t seen it discussed yet but a friend of mine thinks the new Karn could be useful to us. I don’t see it fitting.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoi...scion-of-urza/
    Play All The Decks!

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gwathnar View Post
    Haven’t seen it discussed yet but a friend of mine thinks the new Karn could be useful to us. I don’t see it fitting.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoi...scion-of-urza/
    His ultimate is non functional in our deck due to the lack of artifact support. His +1 and -1 function as card advantage in control match ups but is far inferior compared to Coercive Portal which is the same mana cost, cannot be attacked nor doesn't give our opponent the option of what cards to give or not give us that turn. It doesn't belong here. I think it might have a spot in UB Tezzerator but not here.

Dec 2011
    Norway

His ultimate is non functional in our deck due to the lack of artifact support. His +1 and -1 function as card advantage in control match ups but is far inferior compared to Coercive Portal which is the same mana cost, cannot be attacked nor doesn't give our opponent the option of what cards to give or not give us that turn. It doesn't belong here. I think it might have a spot in UB Tezzerator but not here.
    I find the comparison to Coercive Portal a bit odd. Portal doesn't do anything until your next upkeep. New Karn allows you draw straight away or create either a chump blocker, Jitte-carrier or a creature that has a fairly good chance of growing and becoming a real threat (Chalice of the Void, Mishra's Factory and Jitte). Next turn you could choose to create another artifact creature, increasing the size of all of them. And after that, Karn still has 1 loyalty left. Admittedly, the card draw will always be the worst of the top two cards of your library. That's a relevant drawback. However, the best of the two cards will get a silver counter and will be available later on, either with the current Karn or with a new one. Oh, and Karn doesn't die to artifact removal (Kolaghan's Command, Disenchant, Wear/Tear, Abrade, whatever). In return, as you pointed out, it can be attacked.

I just can't see why Karn wouldn't be better than Coercive Portal. With that said, I don't see Coercive Portal in aggro-Eldrazi all that often. So the whole Karn vs. Portal debate might be a moot point.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I do like Karn, but I just don't think he fits into the general aggro approach of Eldrazi.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    I find the comparison to Coercive Portal a bit odd. Portal doesn't do anything until your next upkeep. New Karn allows you draw straight away or create either a chump blocker, Jitte-carrier or a creature that has a fairly good chance of growing and becoming a real threat (Chalice of the Void, Mishra's Factory and Jitte). Next turn you could choose to create another artifact creature, increasing the size of all of them. And after that, Karn still has 1 loyalty left. Admittedly, the card draw will always be the worst of the top two cards of your library. That's a relevant drawback. However, the best of the two cards will get a silver counter and will be available later on, either with the current Karn or with a new one. Oh, and Karn doesn't die to artifact removal (Kolaghan's Command, Disenchant, Wear/Tear, Abrade, whatever). In return, as you pointed out, it can be attacked.
    We do not have enough artifacts to support this card, 4 chalice 2 Jitte and 2 Mishra's Maindeck is hardly what I call support. That's less 13% support for the card. and At best you're making what a 2/2? Also, you counter argument that Karn doesn't die to all the artifact removal is true but Portal doesn't die to ALL the creatures in the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    the whole Karn vs. Portal debate might be a moot point.
    Agreed

I've been thinking of trying Sea Gate Wreckage in the Main deck instead of a Factory. It has been really good against the grindy matches in the modern version of the deck for me and the Control Match Ups are our worst which is where Sea Gate would shine. I will test it after my first 200 Match Up analysis is completed which should be by the end of the month.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Went 5-3 in the main and 3-0 in a side with this. Tournament report incoming in the next few days.
    -ktkenshinx-

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Pretty much how I felt.

I think the deck as it sits is perfect, just comes down to how you pilot it.
    Play All The Decks!

Thread Information