Page 72 of 124 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2465

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Jun 2015
    MA

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    hahah i do think this list is motivating me :). im quite a humble person if you know me better.
    Was only joking man, I enjoy seeing your lists and running them.

I am curious, you are (I think) the most prolific Eldrazi player on MTGO - how many leagues do you join per week?

Tournament Report Orlando Classic 12th Place

So I brought this list to the Orlando Classic this morning:

26 Lands
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mishra's Workshop (I actually had no Wastes before the tournament, which is what these would be)
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

25 Creatures
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Endless One
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Oblivion Sower
    1 Ulamogg, the Ceaseless Hunger

9 Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Dismember
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Warping Wail
    2 All is Dust
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Duplicant
    1 Endbringer

This is as comprehensive as I can make it given my very minor notes and ability to recall. I don't remember all the dice rolls so I'm just going to give a summary of each game as I remember it.

I started round one playing against Miracles with a minor Enlightened tutor package.

Game one I got a dominating board presence even through two swords bringing me to 33 and him to 13 with 14 power and no blockers. He has a Rest In Piece in play and top decks a Helm and activates.

Game two I have the nuts of turn one Thorn, turn two and three TKS taking Blood Moon and Mentor followed by turn 5 Smashers and we move on.

Game three starts with him failing to counter chalice on one while I drop two mimics of a turn three Eye then wait to drop a Smasher with WW backup to counter the terminus (they always have it.)

1-0 Games: 2-1

Round 2 against Lands (Yay....)

Game one I get a decent board presence of double seer to yank crop rotation and gamble. He draws into another crop rotation>depths with stage in play and enough mana to active. This was the turn after I hit him with Sower up to 9 lands. I swing in with the team and rather than use Maze, he taps it to Urborg to make Marit Lage going down to 3 lands and blocks my Sower. I play a land 2nd main phase and cast Ulamogg exiling his 20/20 and only red source. He still manages to loam back Chasm, but Ulamogg gives no shits ruining his library and leaving him with 9 cards that do nothing.

Game two he gets Marit Lage in play on turn three and I have no way to deal.

Game three I go Mimic>TKS>Smasher>Smasher>Smasher on a 5 land hand when he chooses to Waste on turn 1 and 2. His maze and 3 lands doesn't get there.

2-0 Games 4-2

Round 3 against Esper Deathblade (I didn't know what the hell he was game 1)

Game one he durdles badly and a TKS takes a STP and shows me Lingering Souls. I drop a Chalice on three (drawing some attention from the peanut gallery) and he can't get anything on the board.

Game two he finally shows me a Stoneforge into Batterskull. I use ratchet bomb to kill the token and Wail the mystic which was his only creature leaving him only the ability to return to hand and recast. I stumble finding an answer for the recasted Batterskull and he drops a True Name and two Deathrites to put me at lethal on board.

Game three I put down an early two Eldrazi Mimics do some early beating. Chalice on 1 keeps him from interacting so he drops Jace TMS and Brainstorms. At this point he hadn't yet see Sower and I cast it triggering my Mimics, exiling the Disenchant and TNN he just put on top, along with two lands as a bonus and killing the Jace and dropping him to 11. The next turn a Reality Smasher drops him to 1 past a Venser and he can't find any more outs.

3-0 Games 6-3

Round 4 was against Turbo Sneak Attack.

Game one he starts with Lotus Petal and Ancient tomb and passes. I drop two Mimics and get in some minor beats with a TKS showing me double Worldspine Worm, Sneak Attack and Through the Breach. He draws a City off the top and hits me with a 15/15 and it's good enough.

Game two he starts the game with a turn one Blood Moon off a petal and City of Traitors the turn after I drop ratchet bomb. Over the next three turns we make land drops and I dump Smasher and Matter Reshaper in play putting him to 15. He uses his two City of Traitors (thanks Blood Moon) and mountain to play Seething Song>Through the Breach>Griselbrand at my EOT and draws 14. The next turn he Seething Songs out Sneak Attack into double Worldspine and I'm done. Not a good matchup with my configuration despite him having really good draws.

3-1 Games 6-5

Round 4 I played Grixis Delver. I mean, it had to be sometime, right?

Game one he powers out Anglers 1, 2, and 3 and I sit behind my double turn 2 Reshapers ineffectively. We ground stall and he gets a Delver and a DRS online to slowly evade me out.

Game two he mulls to five and manages to stay in the game by Thoughseizing Jitte and forcing Chalice exiling Strix. He tries to crawl back in with 5 cantrips spells back to back but TKS and Sower are just too big.

Game three he Thoughseizes my Thought Knot seer and drops a turn two Gurmag followed by a ton of removal then followed by nearly every delver and DRS in his deck. I don't find an All is Dust and it's over.

3-2 Games 7-7

Round 6 against Nic Fit. Why can't I hold all this salt?

Game one he gets a the turn two 5 mana into GSZ fetching a Thragtusk. He follows up with a Dragonlord Dromoka that beats me way down and I can't get around the lifegain.

Game two he wiffs on Cabal Therapy and I live the dream of turn 3 Sower hitting 3 lands off the top and casting Dismember on Rhino. I use the next turn to find Ulamogg and the game ends shortly thereafter.

Game three was rough. I mulliganed to 6 and he gets Explorer into turn 3 Sigarda. I apply pressure with two Matter Reshapers that he refuses to block. He has to Swords to Plowshares a TKS giving me an extra turn or so. He draws 6 extra cards from Painful Truths and Thoughtseizes away my Duplicant that was stalling his Dragonlord Dromoka. He drops Dragonlord to hold off my Smasher and double Reshapers. I rip Dismember off the top and he's low enough that the Smasher in my hand forces him to block. He trades his board for one Smasher and both Reshapers and the trample and lack of lifelink leaves him at 1 life and he finds no out.

4-2 Games 9-8

Round 7 was appropriately against the mirror.

Game one we played card for card up until he dropped a Smasher with Mimic in play the turn after I tapped down to play Jitte. I follow up with Reshaper/equip and Dismember, attacking and use the Jitte counters to kill the mimic. He stalls for a turn and I drop Sower to grab more lands and whiff. I suit up the sower with Jitte and oppress my way to victory.

Game two was a beating. I played turn one Jitte (that I never got to equip) followed by double TKS (removing two of his 3 TKS from hand) and dropping Smasher. Unfortunately during all this he failed to find a third land to put him past 3 mana and the game is over in an anticlimactic fashion.

5-2 Game 11-8

15 points put me at 12th place after tiebreakers. 8th place had 16 points which seemed to be pretty closely communicated with the players at the top table. Either way, it was fairly successful.

This build has a very good long game compared to the Noloam build, as I like to call it. Against any grindy midrange decks it felt like Eye of Ugin was a real threat due to Sower and Ulamogg being a target. Just the threat of being able to exile two permanents caused a change in game play among my opponents. Oblivion Sower is very good in a world where Brainstorm is used to protect valuable cards from Thought-Knot Seer. It creates some major headaches for opponents to play around.

The sideboard was sort of lackluster. I only boarded in Leyline once and never saw it. It wasn't necessary to win in a lot of the games I played. If there was more Reanimator and Dredge presence it might have felt better. Turbo Sneak felt like I was watching someone goldfish without access to a Pithing Needle effect so I may need to have something like that available. However, I'm not sure the matchup isn't really so bad that you may want to ignore it.

This was my first major tournament on this list and it felt like I was much more proactive than my opponents in almost all of my games. Even my most stoic opponents had a reaction to TKS or Smasher dropping on turns two or three. This list is definitely a viable version since Ulamogg and Ob Sower help a lot with the random strategies that we don't often account for though it lacks a little of the explosiveness of lists using Petal or SSG.

Thanks for all the content you guys here provide. I wanted to contribute my personal experience to the hive mind.

TL,DR: Went to Orlando and channeled the spirit of HP Lovecraft. Did ok.

Ill do a write up later. Got 9th at channel fireballs 3k, but i shoulda gotten top 8(who split). Fml Went 5-2 and running the same list as before when i won the versus states 2k. A case of the sloppy morning cost me my first match against shardless. Things like not t1 dismembering a deathrite and holding it for gofy when I had two thought seers to play. Faced shardless, goblins, storm, dnt, burn, tnn deathblade, and dredge. Fking deathblade is the only matchup i consider damn near unwinnable. Raped my ass back and forth. I shoulda played better cuz it was a winnable first round vs shardless which cost me top 8. Meh.
    Last edited by maraxusofkelds; 09-19-2016 at 12:48 AM.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by pateuglow View Post
    Was only joking man, I enjoy seeing your lists and running them.

I am curious, you are (I think) the most prolific Eldrazi player on MTGO - how many leagues do you join per week?
    Thanks man! i believe it is arround 1 league a day

today my 20th 5-0

won from:

2-0 UR delver
    2-0 Jund
    2-0 Burn
    2-0 Colorless eldrazi
    2-1 sneaky show
    Last edited by Noloam_; 09-19-2016 at 06:24 AM.
    Eldrazi stompy list: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/noloam

sideboard guide can be found on page 84

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Armatas View Post
    4 Mishra's Workshop (I actually had no Wastes before the tournament, which is what these would be)
    Skip the Wastes; your deck is OP! ;)

Tournament Report Orlando Classic 12th Place

26 Lands
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

25 Creatures
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Endless One
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Oblivion Sower
    1 Ulamogg, the Ceaseless Hunger

9 Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Dismember
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Warping Wail
    2 All is Dust
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Duplicant
    1 Endbringer

This is as comprehensive as I can make it given my very minor notes and ability to recall. I don't remember all the dice rolls so I'm just going to give a summary of each game as I remember it.
    Great report and thanks for sharing. Did you mean wastelands instead of wastes? Those would be harder to come up with before the tournament but I wasn't sure if you were just expecting a lot of non basic hate to warrant 4 wastes instead.

What would you change overall to your build? Was 3 dismembers ever a problem for you in the main ?

Jun 2015
    MA

Am also very curious as to what matchups Oblivion Sower shines in

I did in fact mean Wasteland. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Oblivion Sower is exceptional against all the fair decks and makes Eye of Ugin activations significantly more accessible. It allows the deck to go into late game mode with more gusto and is still cheap enough to come down on turn 3.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Of note - using a light white Eldrazi build (splash for displacer) I ran a Skysoveriegn instead of a Jitte (also ran scourge for the 3 power to crew soverign instead of reshaper). The assumption was the Sky Sovereign is pretty much just colorless removal/reach, that can be flickered and can "equip" onto the weaker Eldrazi almost like "equip 0: equipped creature has +2 or +3 /+0, and deal 3 damage to something." I was . . . very pleasantly surprised. It did pretty much what i usually used jitte for (reach and kill) minus the life gain. I am not sure it's the correct choice, but when thinking this or jitte, I actually preferred the sovereign over jitte, except for when I really wanted to equip jitte onto a factory.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

It looks interesting "but" it cost 5 mana which can't be boost by Eye or Temple, so it doesn't come earlier then turn 3 (with 2 normal Sol lands which is quite unique).

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    It looks interesting "but" it cost 5 mana which can't be boost by Eye or Temple, so it doesn't come earlier then turn 3 (with 2 normal Sol lands which is quite unique).
    Yeah - but, again, maybe i'm playing it wrong, but I usually don't have an active Jitte till turn 4 anyway - I spend the earlier turns pumping out eldrazi, rarely do I do turn 1/2 jitte and then equip the turn after I play eldrazi (and equiping to Factory is a turn 4/5 move also)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

5 mana is my main issue with the card. Batterskull suffered from the same problem. Maybe it's better in builds featuring Grim Monolith.

Jul 2011
    Germany

@Protoss Carrier/Skysoveriegn: I think it would be a better tech for "Eldrazi & Taxes", since it includes Displacer and a landbase without Eye of Ugin. Barook is right here, that "non Eldrazi" Stuff with high cc can be stuck in hand too easily.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

I love all the recent lists maindecking Ulamog 2.0.

Im a huge fan of the card. This is what I have been running...

Manabase
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    3 Glimmerpost
    3 Vesuva
    3 Eye of Ugin
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Core Cards
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Endless One
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Conduit of Ruin
    1 Breaker of Armies
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Flex Slots
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Dismember
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Umejawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Warping Wail
    2 Tsabo's Web
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Damping Matrix
    2 All is Dust

The flex slots probably need some changing up to make the deck more well rounded.

I really love the cloudpost manabase. It lets me consistently power out All is Dust and Ulamog which I am also able to tutor up much more readily thanks to the extremely underrated Conduit of Ruin.

I tested both Sower and Conduit and Conduit consistently outperformed Sower for me but I would love to hear your experiences between the two.

Would also love to get peoples thoughts on further refining this build.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

i think ulamog will make you cry, if it is in your opener vs all tempo and combo decks

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    i think ulamog will make you cry, if it is in your opener vs all tempo and combo decks
    The same could be said about Jitte and Dismember against combo. Also the same could be said drawing multiple legendary lands or City of Traitors against tempo. I think 1 card that you don't like in every matchup that lets you go over the top of the fair decks more often is definitely a valid option. I'm not saying it's right, but it gives you an out against weird things like Solitary Confinement lock (it happened to me twice in one day.)

That said, I don't know if Conduit of Ruin is a better option than Oblivion Sower. It doesn't do anything if countered, it does nothing the turn it comes into play (it's the first creature you play) and you have to reveal and put your search on top which opens you up to awkward things like getting Thought Scoured. It doesn't get you any close to activating Eye of Ugin and can be Dismembered. That's a lot of cons.

The cloudpost mana sacrifices a turn early to get you ahead on mana the next turn. This could lead to some challenging lines of play especially if you need to dodge Wasteland.

Just my two cents.

To answer the earlier question about the build I brought to the classic: I really didn't see Dismember as much as I'd like, but the games where I saw Jitte I dominated. I've changed my list to be 3 Jitte and 2 Dismember. Without any library manipulation running more than an average number of legendary permanents ends up being fine more often than not.

Why not just run 12 post with thought knots and reality smashers at that point?

The same could be said about Jitte and Dismember against combo. Also the same could be said drawing multiple legendary lands or City of Traitors against tempo. I think 1 card that you don't like in every matchup that lets you go over the top of the fair decks more often is definitely a valid option. I'm not saying it's right, but it gives you an out against weird things like Solitary Confinement lock (it happened to me twice in one day.)

That said, I don't know if Conduit of Ruin is a better option than Oblivion Sower. It doesn't do anything if countered, it does nothing the turn it comes into play (it's the first creature you play) and you have to reveal and put your search on top which opens you up to awkward things like getting Thought Scoured. It doesn't get you any close to activating Eye of Ugin and can be Dismembered. That's a lot of cons.

The cloudpost mana sacrifices a turn early to get you ahead on mana the next turn. This could lead to some challenging lines of play especially if you need to dodge Wasteland.

Just my two cents.

To answer the earlier question about the build I brought to the classic: I really didn't see Dismember as much as I'd like, but the games where I saw Jitte I dominated. I've changed my list to be 3 Jitte and 2 Dismember. Without any library manipulation running more than an average number of legendary permanents ends up being fine more often than not.
    Well said, the people dismissing ulamog are doing so because they havent played with and seen how ridiculous it is against fair decks.

I loved your 12th place list by the way. Will probably cut a Revoker for the second Jitte in my build.

As for Sower vs. Conduit, you dont need to activate Eye since Conduit gets you the Ulamog by it self, even if you dont have an Eye in hand. If you dont have the mana for Ulamog 2.0, it gets Breaker of Armies which is ridiculously powerful against fair decks as well. Ulamogs Crusher could serve a similar role but Breaker seems to outperform most matchups. Breaker is basically a one sided wrath that also makes all your other creatures unblockable which lets you alpha strike for the win pretty often.

I love Sower too but it was a lot less consistent for me than Conduit. It usually revealed 1 land and more often than not it was a fetchland. 3 Urborg isnt enough to count on having one every game. Conduit reduced mana costs much more consistently.

The Post base synergizes really well with the rest of the mana base. Vesuva copies Eldarizi Temple anytime you dont have a Cloudpost so its like youre playing 7 Temples.

Its hard to overstate how ridiculously potent it is to run a manabase where virtually every land you play generates 2 mana or more. But thats exactly what the above manabase does. It doesnt slow you down, it speeds you up and makes you care less when one of your lands gets blown up by a Wasteland.

Your opponent wastelanding your first turn Eye or Temple doesnt mana screw when you have post mana to back your mana accleration.

I highly encourage you to take the list for a spin. I think you will see what I mean and like some of these changes a lot.

On a side note, what do you think of Eternal Scourge. It seems like its the only decent Eldrazi Wizards has printed in the past year. However, it seems better than Matter Reshaper in my eyes. It dodges StP unlike Matter Reshaper, has an extra point of toughness, can be cast using Eye of Ugin + Urborg mana and seems like the perfect thing to equip a Jitte to early game. I think I will make room for it ala...

Manabase
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    3 Glimmerpost
    3 Vesuva
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Core Cards
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Endless One
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Conduit of Ruin
    1 Breaker of Armies
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Flex Slots
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Eternal Scourge
    2 Dismember
    2 Umejawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Tsabo's Web
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Damping Matrix
    2 All is Dust

I also upped the Jitte count based on your excellent performance with that card.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Just my two cents.

jitte is never a blank. The lifegain can be relevant vs ANT and the -1/-1 can be relevant vs empty the warrens tokens and the +2/+2 counters can increase the clock. It is bad, but not totally blank. I agree with the cities, thats why i only play 2.

Its not just the 1 of ulamog, but also the sowers. That are just to expensive vs wasteland decks in my opinion. I play 2 endbringer, which is think is much more impressive than sower. Especially vs sneaky show. i also cut 1 of those after boarding vs wasteland decks most of the time.

Conduit of Ruin is just a bad option in my opinion. Sower is just better.

cloudpost seems good. but hands with eye + vesuva are a mulligan. Which make things even more akward. Dubble eye is bad, dubbble city is bad, city + vesuva is bad.

Thread Information