Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can you pick only one or two decks?

Nov 2014
    Portland, Oregon USA

Re: How can you pick only one or two decks?

I'm not trying to sell everything... Just trying to narrow my focus with regard to Magic and pay off some debt.

Real talk: Magic has helped me accrue a bit of debt and I worry that debt may be holding me back from getting in to a new house, etc. I need to take care of my family first.

The trap(s) that my train of thought gets me in to... Wanting to keep a blue deck and a non-blue deck... Wanting to keep a competitive deck and a pet deck (and another pet deck). Wanting to play the same basic archetype in Modern and Legacy....

The big one, though... If I keep stuff for one deck then I can keep a few extra cards and shift to a 2nd deck, and a few extra cards to move in to a 3rd deck, etc, etc... UR Delver is my baby (since before Cruise/Dig, TYVM)... I play it in Modern and Legacy... Foils, promos and signed cards... But, I also want to hold on to stuff to switch to Grixis or Patriot, depending on my mood/meta...But, I also want a non-blue option... I have another Modern/Legacy convertible deck box of Elves (which I switch up to Abzan Company in Modern or Nic Fit in Legacy)... Another M/L convertible deck for Affinity... But, then there are my pet decks (Soul Sisters, U-Tron)... And, if I am keeping all that, then why not keep more cards that fit in-between and can make even more decks.... Ugh... Then, I'm not giving up much of my collection after all.

I've been actively selling off the chaff from my collection... I've binderized all the good stuff and sold all the bulk rares or odd stuff that I just wouldn't use. Still sitting on several thousand commons and uncommons that I need to bulk out, too.

In reality, I'm a big boy and I can buy back a card if I really want it for a deck. The cards that I keep are to be the cards that I use. I don't expect to hold on to anything that I wouldn't immediately use.
    Delver; Nic Fit; Affinity

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: How can you pick only one or two decks?

I had the same dilemma as you;

I had mostly everything for the various versions of delver, Miracles, Shardless - Most blue decks.

I also played BUG Fish in vintage, and had the power for that. I simply decided that I needed the money now, more than the off-chance I might want to play X deck again; if I wanted to, I could likely borrow the cards - hence I sold mostly everything besides my Miracles deck, as that's what I liked to play most at that time.

I paid off all the debt I gained from collecting magic, as well as it made it possible for me and my girlfriend to buy an apartment in Copenhagen, while we were both studying.

I haven't regretted it once, since.

Force yourself to a decission (You prefer Delver? Stick with Grixis Delver + Modern cards) and sell the rest. Don't keep decks you won't play. Most of us don't have time to both play our "competitive" as well as "pet deck" enough to warrant a 5000$ binder.

Decide what you WANT to be playing, when you have time. You can always get cards later, if you severely want to play that deck again.

Thread Information