Thread: Grand Prix Chiba 2016

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Grand Prix Chiba 2016

Does anyone have information on this event?

I have never been to Japan and I'm sitting on a bunch of frequent flier miles so I was thinking of heading to Japan for the GP and a little sightseeing.

What's a reasonable per diem cost around Chiba for a foreigner to budget with?

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Re: Grand Prix Chiba 2016

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    Does anyone have information on this event?

I have never been to Japan and I'm sitting on a bunch of frequent flier miles so I was thinking of heading to Japan for the GP and a little sightseeing.

What's a reasonable per diem cost around Chiba for a foreigner to budget with?
    Never been to Japan myself but our group is currently budgeting around 3-4k and turning it into a 2 week trip. The flight is the biggest expense at around 1k, and then it really just depends on your level of hotel and food you want.

Just saw this thread come up on google when searching for the event website. I just got word that registration for GP Chiba will be opening up sometime next week. Register very early or you won't be getting in.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by mtgSBJ View Post
    Just saw this thread come up on google when searching for the event website. I just got word that registration for GP Chiba will be opening up sometime next week. Register very early or you won't be getting in.
    Preregistrations start today at 7:00pm (JST).
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    Preregistrations start today at 7:00pm (JST).
    350 Pre-reg slots for a $118.41 (current exchange rate) tournament. That's... something.

Automatic sleep-in special is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

To be fair that's how many slots are left at this time. I pre-registered when they had over 400 stock and they are filling fast.

Also they did away with the tiered vip bs that most TOs have been doing and are giving all GP participants the same services, including private secured luggage storage room, "free" snacks and drinks during the tournament and whatever silly swag. I also think JP students with an active student ID get in for free so they probably jacked up the price to compensate for that. And like you said sleep in specials are automatically applied if you are eligible.

So the ~120 price tag is understandable even if it is rather steep but makes sense if you look at the cost of the VIP entries at most GPs being in the 100+ range and normal entry or entry with SIS at 75+ these days.

Apr 2011

And... SOLD OUT of pre-reg.

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    And... SOLD OUT of pre-reg.
    I'm 50/50 on going and pre-regged. But I didn't expect it to go that fast.

ugh, this sounds crazy, registrations filling up in 1 day :)

Sounds to me like Asia needs Legacy GP in 2017 even more than Europe.

So what the total person number/cap for this event? 2k? Why don't they bother to find a bigger hall that could house 4k, I'm sure they could fill it up.

Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I'm 50/50 on going and pre-regged. But I didn't expect it to go that fast.
    If you don't I have some slackers in my party with tickets to Japan but no GP reg. Maybe we can work something out.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    ugh, this sounds crazy, registrations filling up in 1 day :)

Sounds to me like Asia needs Legacy GP in 2017 even more than Europe.

So what the total person number/cap for this event? 2k? Why don't they bother to find a bigger hall that could house 4k, I'm sure they could fill it up.
    I was told it was capped at 1k
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I was told it was capped at 1k
    The website says 2500.

So how many people here are attending the event? I have a group of 4 coming from Shanghai

* 1 on Turbo Depths
    * 1 on Miracles
    * 1 on Imperial Painter
    * 1 on Eldrazi

Apr 2011

Do we have any Japanese locals who can help with what the meta is? All I know is people love Stoneforge mystic and weird "tech".

^I had this discussion with our local Japanese expat group (I'm based in Shanghai) and the general expectation is shitloads of delver/miracles (established player base) + shitloads of budget weirdness/BR reanimator (budget concerns of free reg. students).

Quote Originally Posted by jdmdave View Post
    ^I had this discussion with our local Japanese expat group (I'm based in Shanghai) and the general expectation is shitloads of delver/miracles (established player base) + shitloads of budget weirdness/BR reanimator (budget concerns of free reg. students).
    The last Legacy GP in Japan (Kyoto) Brainstorm 32/32'ed and 60/64'ed (Painter?)

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ighlight=kyoto

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ighlight=kyoto

Thanks! Looks like Turbo Depths it is.

Thread Information