Thread: [SCD] Detention Sphere

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

[SCD] Detention Sphere

As someone who often loves decay but finds running 4 colors a bit greedy; how does anyone else view Detention Sphere? I've been enjoying that it deals with BSKs, Counterbalances, and Eldrazi/Anglers/etc and can even target mirran crusader or steal the odd Storm game if they go tokens.. but certainly it has its weaknesses. E.G. I had it Stifled on a critical turn against a Delver deck where it would've eaten two Delvers.

Still, it seems about as good as you can do against CB outside of BG; and currently has the upside of targeting all the fat targets going around, nabbing a Chalice or Counterbalance, or being accidentally alright against Reanimator/S&T.

Just curious if anyone else has found this card again recently and if you think it's worth running in Esper, Bant, Patriot, or similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [SCD] Detention Sphere

Used to be a fan, but alas Abrupt Decay eats DS for breakfast.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Its in my current Bant and Esper Deathblade lists. Not necessarily a fixture in those lists, but I consider it quite playable.

It has a nice combination of utility: pitches to Force, echoing effect, E-Tutorable.

That being said, I think Council's Judgment is generally a stronger card due to its sheer versatility, and has largely supplanted D-Sphere in the UWx Miracle/Blade decks D-Sphere used to be seen in. WW can be a real cost for some decks like Deathblade though, so its a nice alternative to have.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I wouldn't turn it down in certain builds of Enchantress.

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

Well,
    Abrupt Decay and Detention sphere both were in RTR. So you can hardly say AD made Detention sphere worse. Detention sphere used to be good, but for me the advent of main deck red blast effects (and tons of them in every sideboard - thank you, Dig throug time) made it so much worse. I agree, Council's Judgement is the go-to replacement.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    That being said, I think Council's Judgment is generally a stronger card due to its sheer versatility, and has largely supplanted D-Sphere in the UWx Miracle/Blade decks D-Sphere used to be seen in. WW can be a real cost for some decks like Deathblade though, so its a nice alternative to have.
    Yeah, I had actually forgotten about CJ targeting non-creatures while also not "targeting", but yeah the pitching to force and castability is certainly something I notice right off. CJ has a lot of interesting boons about it (being able to nab a top or force them to put it on top.)

Glad to hear some others still use this now and then. I'll probably grab some CJs and test them out.

Thanks for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

1. Magnet for red blast effect, O-Ring is better on that front.
    2. Cannot be flashbacked via Snapcaster, Council's Judgement is better on that front.

Thread Information