Thread: Runner-Up at Prague Eternal with Chaos Elves

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Runner-Up at Prague Eternal with Chaos Elves

Julian’s Excellent Adventures in Europe continue! Following his Top16 finish in Madrid in the previous week, Julian travelled to the Czech capital to compete in the biannual Prague Eternal (11th-13th March) Legacy and Modern tournaments. Check out how he managed to hit the Top8s of both events with his recently developed Chaos Elves and Ad Nauseam!
    Check out my report of my 2nd place finish at this year's first Prague Eternal athttp://itsjulian.com/?p=2004
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Re: Runner-Up at Prague Eternal with Chaos Elves

Enton & Staubsauger? Too good!
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    the guy with the abyssmal breakers suggested to ID, thereby eliminating himself from the tournament. Not sure what prompted him to do that as it was really quite obvious that his >15% deficit wouldn’t turn into a lead over the course of a single round. He even didn’t make it when the Storm player on table 3 was DQ’ed for suggesting a dice roll to overcome what would have otherwise been an unintentional draw with Martin Šiling’s 12 Post.
    I'm amazed this still happens, but people will find a way to DQ themselves. Also, how does Storm manage to draw with 12 Post? Five-minute Brainstorms?

Nice work on the event. I noticed you dodged Miracles this time. Was it underplayed at this particular tournament, and do you think those Delver builds matched up well against the field? How happy have you been with Cavern of Souls?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

It was definitely underplayed, but the Czech Republic hasn't really been known for having a lot of Miracles players. Following Tomas Mar's great success with the deck, they're "all" playing 4c Delver these days. And it's not like it would be a bad matchup anymore anyways; Chaos Elves is probably favored unless Miracles brings a dedicated anti-creature/Elves sideboard.

But even in general: we're still playing Legacy and you probably wouldn't expect to play against Miracles more than 1-2 times in an 8 round event. Checking my notes it turns out that I have played (and won) against Miracles only once in my last 62 sanctioned matches. While we're at it, here are all my matchups by # of times played:

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Checking my notes it turns out that I have played (and won) against Miracles only once in my last 62 sanctioned matches.
    I'm amazed you've played against Pox that often, but clearly regional and national differences play a big role in a deck's popularity. Good things come to those who know the field and arrive prepared.

It was so frustrating to watch your lands opponent play. In situations like this I am asking myself how somebody, who apparently does not know his deck can get to Round 6 with a good record... He has the freaking crop rotation in hand for Tabernacle the whole time (the only explanation for his miserable play would be that he doesn't own one...) and the wasteland to take care of your Cradle to make you loose half your board and burn down the rest...

Thread Information