Thread: Helm in Eldrazi, the Japanese approach

Helm in Eldrazi, the Japanese approach

The typical MD Eldrazi list,
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11998&f=LE

No surprise there, little Black heavy with the double Urborg. The interesting part is the SB.

SIDEBOARD
    1 Dismember
    2 Faerie Macabre
    3 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Sphere of Resistance

SB Transformation, ah, now we see why it's Black heavy. Keep in mind, assuming Japanese people don't split in the Final, this deck actually defeated a Show and Tell deck to take the trophy.

Hence, this thread can certainly go toward the direction for the Eldrazi players, but it's also a thread to call out this bait and switch SB approach for all the Eldrazi's opponents. If you have FoW, you would probably cast it against Chalice. If you have needle, maybe Jitte is no longer the correct thing to name. It's very possible for the Eldrazi player to use Thought-knot to clear the counter/permanent removal before he would complete the combo.

*It's possible this RIEHU guy on MTGO did it first, maybe they are the same person, who knows.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Helm in Eldrazi, the Japanese approach

One of our locals won an IQ with the same kind of sideboard in March.

I'm not sure where he got the idea to be honest, he's played Helm/Leyline in all sorts of decks before though, so he might have decided on it himself independently. I'll try to ask him if I see him this week.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    The typical MD Eldrazi list,
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11998&f=LE

No surprise there, little Black heavy with the double Urborg. The interesting part is the SB.

SIDEBOARD
    1 Dismember
    2 Faerie Macabre
    3 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Sphere of Resistance

SB Transformation, ah, now we see why it's Black heavy. Keep in mind, assuming Japanese people don't split in the Final, this deck actually defeated a Show and Tell deck to take the trophy.

Hence, this thread can certainly go toward the direction for the Eldrazi players, but it's also a thread to call out this bait and switch SB approach for all the Eldrazi's opponents. If you have FoW, you would probably cast it against Chalice. If you have needle, maybe Jitte is no longer the correct thing to name. It's very possible for the Eldrazi player to use Thought-knot to clear the counter/permanent removal before he would complete the combo.

*It's possible this RIEHU guy on MTGO did it first, maybe they are the same person, who knows.
    Not the same person. I found it from "our" Eldrazi Stompy thread and put it into my BW Eldrazi version and surprised people running 5-0 and 4-1. Then it was out there and ended up removing it from the SB maybe bringing it back at some point.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

So, you are discussing 7 sideboard cards for a DtB. Does this really need a thread in here?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information