Thread: U/G Winter Thresh

U/G Winter Thresh

So I was digging through old MTGTOP8 tournaments, and came across UG Winter Threshold. I was intrigued given that I owned all the cards and the tempo feel fit my play style. The deck basically functions as a U/G delver deck with some added spice in the way of Winter Orb and Jitte. Turns one and two you want to set up your board usually with a threat/hierarch/while holding counter magic in hand. Turns 3-4-5 is where the fun happens and Winter Orb is able to come down. I have tested this extensively, and so far have a record of 31-7 in paper. If your threats and mana ramp in the case of hierarch are dealt with early it can be an uphill battle. But, it is more likely and shown in testing with all the counter in the deck, we are able to sustain a viable board. This deck can be taken in a few different ways, but I have gone for the less graveyard dependent version. In the old list, you played Wearbear, and Hooting Mandrills from time to time. With the increase in graveyard decks since the banning of Deathrite Shaman ie Reanimator and Dredge I have opted not to go with this version. I feel as though people are packing graveyard hate and I would hate to build a deck that would be less effective than Dredge and Reanimator in this meta. Very open to any suggestions, card swaps, or lists other people make.

Creature (14)
    4x Delver of Secrets Flip
    1x Hooting Mandrills
    4x Nimble Mongoose
    3x Noble Hierarch
    2x True-Name Nemesis
    Instant (22)
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Daze
    1x Dismember
    1x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    2x Spell Pierce
    1x Spell Snare
    4x Stifle
    Artifact (2)
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Winter Orb
    Sorcery (3)
    3x Ponder
    Enchantment (1)
    1x Sylvan Library
    Land (18)
    1x Flooded Strand
    2x Forest
    1x Island
    3x Misty Rainforest
    3x Tropical Island
    4x Wasteland
    4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Dismember
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Invasive Surgery
    1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Spell Pierce
    1x Submerge
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Sylvan Library
    2x Vapor Snag

In my opinion from testing we have the easiest time against decks like Miracles, Grixis Control (surprising), and any Blade variant. With the large counter package we have a fairly easy time against ANT and TES. DnT isn't an issue since our threats are usually scarier than theirs, and we have the Vapor Snags and Dismember to deal with anything annoying. I can see how some of the board cards could be a bit controversial, but so far all have held their own weight in many matchups. I would be happy to answer any questions on certain matchups, card choices, or strategies.

Re: U/G Winter Thresh

How about having 18 lands and the noble? It is a stable manabase? 18 lands scares me a lot :)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Re: U/G Winter Thresh

That is definitely an idea that has my mind. At the decks core it functions as a delver deck, hence the 18 land count. To add the Noble it would be fine if something like Sylvan Library was cut. The deck wants to be aggressive so there are better turn two plays. For example, a delver or a goose holding that open mana for a counter of some sort. I can see how Sylvan main deck in something like Infect is important because it is a combo deck, but it is not necessary here. I'll give the four Noble a shot. More consistent turn 2 TNN!!

Thread Information