Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: BigEldrazi

Re: BigEldrazi

Last weekend we had this periodic Legacy event here in SG and played a version of the deck which I refined with all outputs I have seen from the latest successful lists. Here's what I played

Event Link: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=15829&d=297150&f=LE

// Deck file created with mtgtop8.com
    // NAME : Eldrazi Post
    // FORMAT : Legacy
    2 [OGW] Endbringer
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    3 [BFZ] Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    2 [M11] Voltaic Key
    4 [UL] Grim Monolith
    2 [OGW] Warping Wail
    2 [DS] Trinisphere
    4 [C14] Thran Dynamo
    3 [ROE] All Is Dust
    1 [FRF] Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    2 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [MR] Cloudpost
    4 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
    3 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [M15] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [OGW] Thought-Knot Seer
    2 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide
    1 [AER] Walking Ballista
    SB: 1 [OGW] Warping Wail
    SB: 1 [DS] Trinisphere
    SB: 1 [FRF] Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    SB: 2 [C14] Wurmcoil Engine
    SB: 3 [OGW] Spatial Contortion
    SB: 3 [8E] Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of the Void

Round 1: BG Depths 1-2 - Loss
    On Game 3 we both Mulligan down to 5 apparently he had the combo pieces on his hand to kill me on Turn 4.

Round 2: Dark Maverick 2-0 - Win
    All is Dust and Ugins shines against these kind of decks who tries to establish a board presence.

Round 3: BUG ReidDuke TNN - 2-0 Win
    Same story, he attempted to clockme with Leovold and True Name but All is dust and Ugins are too much for their deck to handle. I usually bait his countermagic with Thought Knot Seer and ensure he has no follow up play after an All is Dust resolution.

Round 4: BR Reanimator - 2-0 Win
    Game 1, I won the die roll and had a Turn 1 Trinisphere thru Simian Spirit Guide and Tomb followed up with a Thought Knot Seer.
    Game 2: i Boarded in the extra Wail, Leyline of the Voids and the Bridges. I was lucky enough to have 2 Leyline of the Voids on my starting hand. Also topdecked a Bridge just in case he tries to cheat a fatty into play thru Stronghold Gambit

Round 5: Grixis Delver - Intentional Draw for Top 8

Quarterfinals: BG Depths -2-1 Win
    Game 1, he killed me on Turn 5 with his combo
    Game 2, I managed to resolve a Turn 2 Enbringer thru Simian Spirit Guides. That kept the Marit Lage token at bay until I stabilized
    Game 3, I mulled down to 5 with a starting hand of: 2 SSG, Vesuva, Glimmerpost and Ensnaring Bridge. He then casts Inquisition to Remove my Bridge. The next turn he played his Thespian Stage and casted Into the North to fetch Depths. On my Turn, I played Vesuva to copy his Thespian Stage. On his turn he played the depths and passed the turn, which I was glad since I can untap. On the end of my turn, he attempted to combo me out but I responded by Exiling 2 SSGs from my hand to copy his Depths, netting me my own 20/20 Marit Lage! He the called the Judge and after the ruling, we both have the Legendary Tokens! Tilted and forgetting that Marit Lage was Indestructible, he swung and I blocked it. Then I swung back and won that crazy game.

Semi Finals: Grixis Delver - 2-0
    Game 1: A timely All is Dust saved me from a board of Delver, TNN, Young Pyro, DRS and a Token. I resolved Kozilek which warranted a scoop
    Game 2: Managed to resolve a Turn 1 Chalice with Eldrazi temple and SSG. It went south for him from there

Finals: BUG Delver - 0-2
    Game 1: Took too much damage from Ancient Tomb and when I was down to 2, he had a Vendilion Clique to finish me off. I stumbled after his Turn 2 Hymn to Tourach which took my non Tomb lands.
    Game 2: Turn 1 Delver then Turn 2 Hymn got my other land which had me screwed. He then casted Tarmogoyf and the next turn he Snapcaster Mage flashbacked his Hymn. There's no coming back from that point.

I was still happy even though I lost the finals. I knew I should have the upperhand against his deck but it is really tough to recover after a resolved Hymn.

For me, the MVPs of the event were those 2 Simian Spirit guides which I got the idea from a Japanese player. I was able to reduce my City of Traitors from 3 to 2 to lessen my chances of losing to multiple City hands, and yet still able to resolve a Turn 1 Chalice/Trinisphere/Monolith.

The one of Kozilek, Butcher of Truth was clutch on grindy matchups. The maindeck Warping Wails are good in many scenarios like countering GSZ or Thoughtseizes as well as removing Deathrites.

For me the deck felt great, and If im doing changes would modify my SB to this

-1 Spatial contortion
    +1 Warping Wail

Sorry for the long post!

Don't apologize and thanks for the detailed report :)
    Any feedback is very welcomed

Just barely missed Top 64 at GP Vegas with Big Eldrazi...

Lost to Death and Taxes three times. Lost to Elves badly, and lost to that Food Chain combo deck.

Beat nearly every single blue deck I faced though, and beat most of them badly.

Congratz !

I presume you were unlucky as DnT and Elves are slighlty favored MUs (at least while I was testing) for us, but still they can go nuts or super fast.

Would love to read a report if you have time :)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    Congratz !

I presume you were unlucky as DnT and Elves are slighlty favored MUs (at least while I was testing) for us, but still they can go nuts or super fast.

Would love to read a report if you have time :)
    DnT is actually really bad (at least for my build) because Revoker + Wasteland + Ports + Thalias + Flickerwisp, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Just barely missed Top 64 at GP Vegas with Big Eldrazi...

Lost to Death and Taxes three times. Lost to Elves badly, and lost to that Food Chain combo deck.

Beat nearly every single blue deck I faced though, and beat most of them badly.
    nice!!!! list?

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    DnT is actually really bad (at least for my build) because Revoker + Wasteland + Ports + Thalias + Flickerwisp, etc.
    Don't remember what list you're on but I play 4 Dynamo, and it's all about chaining rocks G1, and Needle what you can G2.
    They will not have all the answers at the same time, and All is Dust wrecks them badly.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Gz, as i already mentioned Walking Ballista is key vs Elves, DnT and is also solid vs grixis delver.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

I think your configuration is not suited to play well against Death and Taxes and Elves. You have no cheap removal spells against DNT and Elves. Which is why I want to emphasize the importance of having Warping Wails and Spatial Contortion. Your 4 Ugins can't do a thing against a well timed Phyrexian Revoker.

Against Elves, Warping Wails are very very crucial as they can counter their key Sorceries (GSZ/Natural Order/Glimpse)
    Wails can also exile key creatures until you reach the point when you can wipe their board with All is Dust or Ugin.

I'm not a fan of having 4 Ugins. If you played this deck for some time already, you will notice the delay factor of casting especially when you have Eye of Ugin + Eldrazi Temple openers. You need to accept the fact that it isn't always Magic Christmas land that you would draw Sol Lands as often as always. If you really want to win against these swarm decks, you need to have more All is Dust than Ugins. Our metagame here in Singapore usually has at least 3 Elves players and 2 Death and Taxes every Thursday which is why I configured my list to have a better game against those decks.

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    61 manin deck 14 side? right?
    +1 All is Dust SB I forgot to add

Jul 2011
    Germany

Looking at my side i can bring 3 Endbringer, 3 Ballista, 2 WWail, 1 Karakas and 3 Needle vs DnT which pretty much rocks that matchup if you need some advice here. Swap is: -4 Chalice, -3 TSphere, -3 Reshaper, -2 Ulamog (still have 3 fatties left if needed), you overall need to lower you mana curve against manadenial unless you are able to swing the game if your mana rocks are ready. Having Midsized Eldrazi like TKS, Endbringer and Sower helps for combat and Ballista in a heavy mana ramp shell like this is superior against decks like DnT.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Which would you prefer. A 3x Trinisphere in Main or 3x Voltaic Key in Main?
    Team Budget
    "Deadly When Hungry"

Quote Originally Posted by cin View Post
    Which would you prefer. A 3x Trinisphere in Main or 3x Voltaic Key in Main?
    In this moment is good play 3 trinisphere, 3 key, 4 chalice of the void, 4 grim monolit, 2 basalt, 4 dynamo main deck

Aug 2014
    Philippines

Me, cin and another teammate were champs at the recently concluded 3v3 Legacy major

Here's the link to the decklists: Cards of War's 3v3 Legacy Major II
    TEAM BUDGET

Yesterday I made Top8 of the weekly Legacy Challenge on MTGO with the "Legend MUD" version of the Eldrazi Ramp deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/703034

I went 6-1 in the swiss, beating many delver decks, miracles, burn, etc. I lost in round 7 to grixis pyromancer in a close game and then I lost 0-2 to Aggro Loam in the Top-8 because of Wasteland+Life from the Loam+Abrupt Decay on artifacts, and he had Gaddock Teeg and Thalia and Liliana.

I think this deck is configured to beat everything right now except for Lands and Aggro Loam (or any Wasteland+Life from the Loam+Abrupt Decay deck).

Having 4 Ugin maindeck is crucial IMHO and it's wrong not to play it. It's the best sweeper that also functions as a WIN CONDITION.

Also, playing 4 Voltaic Key is the "Key" so to speak. I see some people playing less than 4, or playing none at all. Yes, sometimes it sucks when you have Chalice @ 1 and you draw key, but it more than makes up for this with insane crazy explosive starts where you have Monolith + Key, then ramp into something else or play Thought Knot on turn 1 or play Trinisphere and then untap and play Eldrazi on Turn 3, etc.

Wow congratz MGB !

That's an Ugin oriented build, really interesting.
    Bridges with this PW make sense. Lowering Eye and Temple count too.

I was just wondering if sometimes you find yourself in the position where you have tons of mana but nothing to use it on ?
    Versus fast decks, is your midgame strong enough to wait for the 8-10 manas cap ?

With some Needles, Aggro Loam would be even, as we side in Leyline (Loam, Knight, DRS) and Needles (Wasteland, Knight, Liliana).
    Lands is kinda hopeless, regardless what version we play.

Is UR Delver manageable for you ? Found it really hard to deal with unless we can caught them with Chalice/Trinisphere.

Good job !

my list in this moment (no city)

1 emrakul
    1 kozilek butcher
    1 kozilek newł
    4 ulamog
    4 seer

3 all is dust

2 basalt m
    4 chalice
    4 grim m
    4 dynamo
    3 trinisphere
    3 key

4 ancient tomb
    4 cloudpost
    4 eldrazi temple
    4 eye of ugin
    4 glimmerpost
    2 urborg(1 urborg 1 karakas)
    4 vesuva

side
    1 all is dust
    4 leyline of the void
    2 revoker
    3 pithing needle
    2 warping wail
    3 wurmcoil

my test in very positive!!!

what do you think?thanks

Aug 2014
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    my list in this moment (no city)

1 emrakul
    1 kozilek butcher
    1 kozilek newł
    4 ulamog
    4 seer

3 all is dust

2 basalt m
    4 chalice
    4 grim m
    4 dynamo
    3 trinisphere
    3 key

4 ancient tomb
    4 cloudpost
    4 eldrazi temple
    4 eye of ugin
    4 glimmerpost
    2 urborg(1 urborg 1 karakas)
    4 vesuva

side
    1 all is dust
    4 leyline of the void
    2 revoker
    3 pithing needle
    2 warping wail
    3 wurmcoil

my test in very positive!!!

what do you think?thanks
    I used a build with no City of Traitors since it suck when multiples of those is in my opening seven. Same with Vesuva's and Eye of Ugins so I had to cut them to two of each eventually.

Further playing, I realized that it's pointless to make the Chalice stay with just the Ancient Tombs since I couldn't have a consistent turn 1 Chalice for 1. I just retained the Trinispheres for the combo matchups and it went fine

Then the meta shifted into a more comboish state. So I adjusted the manabase and added 2 City of Traitors and added again the Chalice of the Void to make a more consistent turn 1 Chalice.

It sucks if you can't make the first play a Chalice. Then after the turn the opponent will play Delver, Deathrite or Vials for the initial threats.
    TEAM BUDGET

Thread Information