Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: BigEldrazi

Re: BigEldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    ChrisDissent list in this month of testing I did 43 game 35 win 8 lose
    Is Reality Smasher good for you in testing?
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    So supposedly "Benjamin Liu" made 36th place at Eternal Weekend with Big Eldrazi. Does anyone know him or his deck? It would be interesting to hear a tournament report from someone who did well with this deck at the tournament.
    He was my round 10 opponent, and knocked me out of contention for top 8. He turn 3 Ulamogged me...twice. :( I don't know much else, it was his first big Legacy event
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Is Reality Smasher good for you in testing?
    absolutely yes.

many games were won thanks to him.

I do not think I'm taking them away, or rather I recommend playing them

So supposedly "Benjamin Liu" made 36th place at Eternal Weekend with Big Eldrazi. Does anyone know him or his deck? It would be interesting to hear a tournament report from someone who did well with this deck at the tournament.
    He is Bobbunny, he posted a report in the Tentacle Smash - Eldrazi Aggro ft. 10-post forum. (I think you know already, just posting for everyone else)

ChrisDissent list in this month of testing I did 52 game 41 win 11 lose

I'm going to analyze the encounters made

3 pox: w 2 1 w 2 1 w 2 0
    1 standstill: w 2 0
    1 stoneblade: w 2 0
    5 nic fit: w 2 0 w 2 1 w 2 1 w 2 1 w 2 1
    1 4c controll: w 2 0
    4 thalia stompy: w 2 1 w 2 0 w 2 0 w 2 1
    2 d&t: w 2 1 w 2 0
    5 cz pile: w 2 1 lose 1 2 w 2 1 lose 0 2 w 2 1
    3 eldrazi: w 2 0 lose 0 2 lose 1 2
    2 burn: w 2 0 lose 0 2
    1 high tide: w 2 0
    1 elf: w 2 1
    1 loam: lose 1 2
    1 espert mentor: w 2 0
    1 dredge manaless: w 2 1
    2 aluren: w 2 0 w 2 0
    1 jund: w 2 1
    1 goblin: lose 0 2
    1 bug: w 2 1
    4 grixis: w 2 1 w 2 0 lose 1 2 w 2 0
    3 ant: w 2 1 w 2 1 lose 1 2
    2 canadian: lose 1 2 lose 1 2
    1 ub reanimator: w 2 0
    1 br reanimator: w 2 1
    1 miracle: w 2 1
    1 team America: w 2 0
    1 food chain : w 2 0
    1 dark depht: w 2 0
    1 espert delver: w 2 0
    Last edited by caprino; 10-28-2017 at 09:41 AM.

ChrisDissent list in this month of testing I did 44 game 36 win 8 lose
    Thanks for the results. How relevant was the Reality Smasher inclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post
    absolutely yes.

many games were won thanks to him.

I do not think I'm taking them away, or rather I recommend playing them

Ah, my bad. Will include him to try out next time.

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post
    Yea... I win more games thanks a smasher

Looks like someone has reach day 2 at SCG Washington with Eldrazi Post. Pathy ?

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...reakdown_.html

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    Looks like someone has reach day 2 at SCG Washington with Eldrazi Post. Pathy ?

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...reakdown_.html
    Yup, that was me.

I got 34th place (lost a few brutal close matches late on day 1 and in day 2 that knocked me out of top-8 contention) with my Eldrazi Ramp build at the SCG Open in DC this weekend.

I'll post a more detailed list of matches and final record tomorrow when I have time.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Yup, that was me.

I got 34th place (lost a few brutal close matches late on day 1 and in day 2 that knocked me out of top-8 contention) with my Eldrazi Ramp build at the SCG Open in DC this weekend.

I'll post a more detailed list of matches and final record tomorrow when I have time.
    Congratz !!! Can't wait to read your report !

I"m just getting back into Legacy, and decided that some 12 Post/Eldrazi abomination was what I wanted to play. Then I found this thread.

Finished the deck up about a week ago, and I just got back from breaking it in at a 4k at Channel Fireball in SJ. List is:

Lands
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Vesuva
    2 Thespian's Stage
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Eldrazi Temple
    2 Eye of Ugin

Artifacts
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Thran Dynamo
    4 Voltaic Key
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

Creatures

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    2 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
    2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Planeswalkers
    4 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Sideboard
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Warping Wail
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Leyline of the Void

Now I know I just finished the deck, but I've been playing magic for a long time and I know what I like. So I decided to do a little personalization.

I finished the day at 4-3, not anything crazy but ok for the deck's first real outing. I figured I'd do a quick report on how it played, but I'm pretty lax on notetaking so details may be missing. Also I've been out of Legacy for a bit so deck names may not be exact.

Round 1: Grixis Control 2-0
    On the play, turn 1 Tomb into Monolith into Trinisphere. I turn 2 TKS him, and see a hand of JTMS, 2 Snapcasters, and a bunch of lands. Seems like a weak keep. I took the Jace, then in the next turn or 2 played Ugin, he played his Snaps out as chump blockers with an empty graveyard, but TKS beats kills him before he does anything noteworthy. Game 2 I keep a hand with a bunch of Cloudposts, get a turn 2 Chalice on 1 into a turn 3 Ulamog. Game over

Round 2: Esper Deathblade 1-2
    He was playing a huge discard package, game 1 I got Thoughtseized twice and Hymned twice, both Hymns hit my only non mana rock spells. I proceed to draw lands for a good 8 turns and go from single digit life points to the high 20's and back again 4 times thanks to so many Glimmerpost triggers. Eventually I die. Game 2 is a turn 2 Ugin and my opponent scoops. Game 3 is a turn 2 Ugin but this time my opponent has the Force, I draw dead and die to a Deathrite holding a Jitte.

Round 3 Mirror match 2-1
    I was absolutely not expecting a mirror match with such a fringe deck. Like 70/75 same cards mirror. I turn 1 Tomb into Monolith into Key into Dynamo into Chalice on 1. My opponent responds with a City into Monolith into Trinisphere. Well I just wasted a great opening hand. I don't see any Cloudposts from my opponent, but I see a Cavern of Souls so I assume he's on Eldrazi Aggro. He was all in on his Chalice plan, and kept a hand with no action. I kill him with tentacle monsters. Game 2 my opponent opens with a Tomb into Monolith into Trinisphere. I am confused. Maybe he wants me off Voltaic Key? Seems better to hold open the Monolith for later turns. And why not board out Trinisphere?. I turn 2 a TKS, and see Newlamog so now I know it's the mirror. The is game ends up into back and forth Eye of Ugin activations to fetch Reality Smashers to swing back and forth. Finally I am at ~4 life with a TKS in play, and my opponent is at 10 with a Smasher out. I am 1 turn from having the mana to tutor up and play Newlamog, I almost scoop, but decide to let him play out his final turn. If he gets his own Newlamog and exiles my blocker, I'm dead, if he gets Smasher, I'm dead. He has tutored up Smasher 2 turns in a row, I assume he will do it again. Instead, he activates Eye and shows me Kozilek. Now I can block, play Newlamog and exile both his guys and maybe get out of this, my opponent screwed up! He draws his 7 cards, and his eyes light up and he drops a Reality Smasher onto the battlefield. Dammit. Game 3 was running Cloudposts for both of us. Too bad for him I'm a turn ahead and drop my turn 3 Newlamog, and exile both of his Cloudposts. Game over man.

Round 4: Rug Delver 0-2
    I hate this deck. This deck has been my boogieman, no matter if I'm playing Storm, Show and Tell, Pox, Turbo Depths, or 12 Post, I can't ever remember beating this deck. I have great hands both games, but end up eating 6 Wastelands in 2 games. I never had more than 1 mana available ever. I don't think I cast a single spell the whole match.

Round 5: Something Blue 2-0
    I am drawing a blank here, I stopped taking even my crappy notes by this point since it was obvious there would be no victorious Top 8 tournament report. It was blue, I had good opening hands, my opponent scooped to giant colorless stuff. I don't even remember what spells he cast, if any.

Round 6: Bug Delver 0-2
    This round was super frustrating, and my only "bad" round as far as playing. My opponent played unbelievably slow, and there were several times that as I was raising my hand to call a judge over for slow play he would finally do something. He also mumbled everything, I would play a spell, ask if it resolved, and he would look away and mumble. He also had to read almost everything, he didn't seem to have any idea how the cards worked. at one point I had an Eye of Ugin + Grim Monolith, tapped Monolith for 3, pointed to the Eye and counted 4-5, then played Reality Smasher. My opponent looks me in the eyes, says "You can't do that", then sits there. No judge call, no counterspell, no questions about mana costs, nothing. I ask what he means? Look away from me and mumble something. Bloody hell. Anyways, Game 1 I start out Tomb into Monolith. Turn 2 tap tomb again for Monolith #2. I have Trinisphere, Eldrazi Temple, and Reality Smasher in hand, I run out the Trinisphere without playing the Temple to bait out the Force, it works. I drop Temple, and run Smasher right into a Daze. Dammit. Draw dead from there, die to Delver. I was super unsure about sideboarding, I ended up taking out Trinispheres and Chalices for Ballistas and Warping Wails. My logic was that the only 1 mana spells I saw were Delver and Brainstorm, Chalice on 1 doesn't stop a turn 1 Delver when I'm on the draw, so I decide removal is the way to go. I keep a super shaky hand, it ends up just being too slow, he resolves 3 Ponders and 2 Brainstorms, the surprise surprise by the time I draw into threats he has answers for everything. I made a few misplays, like I had a TKS out, and he had a 3/4 Goyf, zero lands in the GY. I decide to float 2 mana from my City, play my second City then use that for another 2 to untap a Grim Monolith. Wait, crap, now his Goyf is a 4/5 and doesn't die to my TKS, crap.

Round 7: Goblin 2-0
    This was a weird match. If anyone plays at CfB, you'll know they're known for having a bunch of Goblins decks running around. I counted 4 in a room of 97, and there may have been more. I keep a hand with an Ulamog, Trinisphere, and lots of lands and manarocks. My opponent plays Wasteland into Vial. Ok, D&T, this should be fine. I have so much mana in my hand I think I can power through this, play a Cloudpost. Opponent's turn 2 is Rishadan Port into a second Vial. I play a second Cloudpost. Turn 3 my opponent does nothing, has Vials on 1 and 2, Wasteland and Port up. Move to my upkeep, and he Ports me. No Wasteland, turning my 4 mana into 1, just tap a land down. Ok. I play more mana rocks and lands, pass expecting a beating to come, but no Vial activation. Opp ticks up both Vials, passes. Ok, he must have a hand full of Flickerwisps and Crusaders. I play more lands and mana rocks, drop a Trinisphere that I don't expect to do anything, pass and again no Vial activation. Opponent starts his turn, ticks his Vials up to 3 and 4. Now I'm just confused. He waffles, drops a basic Mountain, and tries to play a Skirk Prospector, Trinisphere says no. He decides to finally Wasteland me and not play anything, pass. Now I'm super confused. Is he playing some creature based storm deck? Does he have some crazy homebrew that plays the control role until he can Vial in something giant? Surely if it was just goblins he wouldn't have kept a hand with apparently nothing in it, right? Despite the Wasteland, I have enough mana for Newlamog, pop both Vials, Opp scoops. I decide to assume its Goblins, board in all my Wails, Ballistas, and Spyglasses, out come Dynamos, Keys, and the Titans. Time to go low to the ground. Opening hand has a Ballista and a Spyglass, perfect. If he drops a Lackey I can shoot it, if he drop a Vial I can lock it down. My opponent starts on Wasteland into Vial, Spyglass it is. I play it off and Ancient Tomb, and see a hand full of 5 regular ol' goblins, and zero lands. Wow, I think I'll name Aether vial. My opponent ends up drawing into lands after that, ends up Ringleadering into a bunch of stuff, makes some dudes and a Goblin King, hits me for some damage. I drop Ugin, kill everything. He Ringleaders again, rebuild his board, passes. I play a Walking Ballista for 14. My opponent groans as I machine gun away his board. He rebuilds a 3rd time, holy crap goblins rebuilds quickly. I charge Ballista back up ro 6 counters, use 4 and Ugin's +2 to wipe it again. Next turn I am able to ultimate Ugin, Gain 7 life, draw 5 lands and 2 TKS, drop them all into play, gain like 18 more life off Glimmerpost triggers. I see random goblins in my opponent's hand, exile 2, sink about 36 mana into my Ballista, GG.

Deck ran fine, lost a few games to variance, lost a match to not having a plan, and got disgusted looks from my opponents when they saw my deck and how I improved the aesthetics. Voltaic Keys are broken, even nonboing with Chalice and being dead draws past turn 3 or so, I still like 4. Mana rock split I am not sure about, I experimented with Basalt Monoliths online and didn't like them, but 4 Thran Dynamos I didn't really like either, I may try 3 TD 1 BM next time. I decided Ugin was worth the 1 mana over running some number of All is Dust, and every game he resolved I won. Reality Smasher is a must have. Every time I had one in hand I asked myself if I would prefer it to be an Endbringer, and 100% of the time the answer was no. Sideboard is ok, I don't like 4 Warping Wails, maybe a 3/3 split with Spygass, or even 2/4. Spyglass was really good both times I had it. WW found it's way into my hand 3 times, and it only ever exiled a Deathrite, in a game I ended up losing. I may swap out my Thespian Stage for 2 Cavern of Souls, I got a lot of guys countered.

Yup, that was me.

Looking forward to your report. I've been goldfishing your list. I didn't like it at first but have come to understand it more lately.

So I took this deck to SCG Washington this past weekend:

4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Vesuva
    2 Thespian's Stage
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Eldrazi Temple
    2 Eye of Ugin

4 Grim Monolith
    3 Thran Dynamo
    2 Basalt Monolith
    4 Voltaic Key
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Endbringer
    2 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
    1 Emrakul, The Promised End

4 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

SB:
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Coercive Portal
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3 All is Dust
    4 Leyline of the Void

Day 1

Round 1: vs. Deathblade pilot - Won 2-1. He made some mistakes but this match was just about me getting to enough mana and not being disrupted in any way, and he was trying to win the game with Batterskull when I started casting Ugins and Eldrazi.

Round 2: vs. Elves pilot - I won 2-0 pretty easily because he had some seriously slow hands for an Elves player and I managed to land Ugin and wipe his board in at least one game and possibly both games. I definitely got lucky here because usually Elves either combos off or Natural Orders on Turn 2-3 and he just didn't do anything but attack me with dudes for multiple turns.

Round 3: vs. Metalworker Stax pilot - I won 2-1. This guy eventually top-16ed with a Metalworker Stax build that tries to lock you out of the game and infi-combo with Staff of Domination. I got lucky with my draws and in one game I managed to Turn-3 Ugin Bolt his metalworker right before he went infinite, and I also managed to Emrakul him in G3 and wreck his hand and board to which he scooped.

Round 4 vs. RUG Delver pilot - I won 2-1. This guy eventually went on to Top-8 the event. He was a good player and his deck was completely pimped out with foil everything that could be foiled and FBB duals and Guru lands, afaik. The game I lost was due to quick Delver + disruption, and the games I won I managed to stall with Thought-Knot Seer before my mana got online and I transitioned into the end-game.

Round 5 vs. UB Deathblade pilot - I lost 1-2 to Sam Roukas who is an elite player who used to be one of the best Miracles pilots on the East Coast. I definitely felt like I could have won this match if I played tighter and sideboarded better, but he made fewer mistakes than me. I lost G1 to quick pressure from dudes (Deathrites, Mentor, Stoneforge->Batterskull) because I misplayed Endbringer instead of prioritizing getting Thran Dynamo + Key + other rocks online. On one turn I could have cast the Thran Dynamo I instead cast Endbringer which was quickly StPed. If I instead cast Thran Dynamo that turn, I woiuld have later had enough mana to activate my Eye of Ugin and search for Eldrazi and cast them, but because I spent that turn playing Endbringer, I eventually died a turn before I could get the Eye searching and have mana to cast stuff. In G2 I just got Trinisphere into Ugin and he scooped early. In G3 I ended up with a ton of mana, but had Emrakul the Aeons Torn in hand vs. his Mentor and Deathrite. Now, it was a lot, but it still wasn't enough to cast Emrakul. It was 13 mana so I needed to topdeck a sol-land or something, but I never did. Emrakul the Aeons Torn probably shouldn't even be played in this deck because while it's awesome when it does resolve, even in this deck 15 mana is just way too much to cast reliably. I can't have stuff rotting in my hand when I have 13 mana on the board.

Round 6 vs. Stoneblade pilot - I won 2-0 easily against another Blade player who didn't have enough disruption and I just goldfished Ugin/Eldrazi vs him.

Round 7 vs. Grixis Delver pilot - I lost 1-2. This was the match that I regretted fucking up the entire weekend. I was playing against Roland Chang who is a solid player but mostly plays Vintage so he approaches the game differently from most Legacy players. I think I lost one game to disruption + Delver, and I won one game where I goldfished fast. The last game was the one that stuck in my craw the whole weekend. He landed a quick Delver but that was all he had for a few turns. At some point I was low on life going down to 2 life, but I had Eye of Ugin and searched for Emrakul. I cast Emrakul and mindslavered him but before I got his turn he ccast Diabolic Edict to force me to sac Emrakul. I took his turn and saw Force of Will, Young Pyromancer, Pithing Needle. He had Cabal Therapy in his graveyard too. I cast Cabal Therapy flashback saccing the Delver and making him discard Young Pyromancer, and then looked at Pithing Needle and didn't even consider naming anything relevant because I didn't think it would matter, so I stupidly said something like "I name Wooly Thoctar." Next turn he topdecks Wasteland and wastes my Eye of Ugin, and the following turn he topdecks Price of Progress to kill me. Now, if I had thought about it for a while, I would have realized that the my path to Victory at that point relied on activating Eye again for Ulamog once he had Edicted my Emrakul, and the only card worth naming in his deck with his own Pithing Needle is either a fetchland or Wasteland. If I had named "Wasteland" with his needle, I literally could have searched for Ulamog and cast Ulamog the turn after he topdecked the Wasteland, and then I could have exiled his two lands and Price wouldn't have mattered, but instead I foolishly ignored the Needle's importance and lost when I could have won.

Round 8 vs. Death 'n' Taxes pilot - I won 2-1. This matchup is pretty simple - if they disrupt you with Revoker and Wasteland and Ports you're done, and if they don't, they're done. Ports+Revokers+wasteland is what happened in the game I lost and in the games I won he didn't have enough and I cast All is Dust and Ugins.

Round 9 vs. STORM pilot - I lost 1-2. I didn't know what he was on, so in G1 I kept a slow hand with lots of mana and a single Thought-Knot Seer that would have been awesome against the mid-range decks that I was seeing all weekend, but sucked against him because when I cast TKS, I saw 2 Burning Wish, Petal, LED, Pyretic Ritual, and Infefrnal Tutor. I think I took the LED and he still managed to combo out pretty easily because I didn't draw any further disruption. In G2 I locked him out with a great hand full of Chalice and Trinisphere. In G3 I kept a sketchy hand with 2 City of Traitors, some Vesuvas, a Voltiac Key, some other land, and a Chalice of the Void. I didn't want to ship back a hand where I can cast Chalice @ 1 on my first turn, but unfortunately it didn't have much else. Of course he casts Duress on his first turn, takes my Chalice, and I don't have anything else after that and he combos off a turn or two later with Goblin tokens. I hate losing to Storm when I play a deck that has 4 Trinisphere, 4 Chalice, and 4 TKS. Here's a matchup where I might consider adding Warping Wail to this deck either in the main or in the sideboard, because sometimes against these combo decks you need even more disruption to beat them consistently.

Day 2

Round 10 vs. 4c Leovold pilot - I won 2-0 in a resounding fashion. This was against Rudy Brikza who is some kind of a minor semi-pro player, I guess. He had a huge attitude like he was a hot-shot, tried to belittle me the whole time, called judge loudly on a mistake I made, and in general was just a complete prick. Of course it felt great to just destroy him completely with a deck he probably thought was a complete jank pile. In one of the games he trots out a board full of Jace, 2 Deathrites, Leovold, and a Strix, and taps out to do so. He has this look on his face like "Yeah, what are you gonna do now, huh?" Next turn I have enough mana to cast Trinisphere and then cast Ugin and the look on his face was priceless. In G2 he Hymns me a few times, counters a bunch of stuff, and I have lots of mana but my stuff keeps getting countered or discarded, but I topdeck Kozilek on an empty board and empty hand like a boss and he just storms off without saying another word.

Round 11 vs. Deathblade? pilot - I won 2-0 easily. I don't remember this one too well, because all of these blue mid-range decks kind of blend together for me. I'm thinking he was on some kind of Blade variant or possibly just a DRS/Pyro build.

Round 12 vs. BR Reanimator pilot - I lost 1-2. This match sucked because this really should be one of my better matchups because I play 4 Leyline and 4 Ensnaring Bridge in the SB on top of the Chalices and Trinispheres. In G1 I won with just that - I landed Grim Monolith -> Trinisphere on Turn1 or something like that, and eventually he scooped. In G2 I mulled to Leyline and was looking like I was going to win the game after landing TKS and taking one of his good cards, but he still has Griselbrand in hand and topdecks something called "Stronghold Gambit" which I'd never seen before. Turns out it, it's like a Show and Tell for red mana. He puts Griselbrand into play and wins by drawing into more stuff and bouncing Leyline and getting Tidespout. In G3 I don't have Leyline but I get Chalice @ 1 on the play. He doesn't play anything and discard Griselbrand to end step discard. He casts Unmask on me at some point and takes an Ensnaring Bridge before I have a chance to cast it. I cast TKS and take his Animate Dead and see a hand full of 1cc spells and another Griselbrand. I attack him and then next turn, you guessed it, he casts Stronghold Gambit again. So in both games I lose despite having Leylines and Chalices. This is another match in which I think it would be beneficial to have access to Warping Wail because you need the extra counterspells when they have stupid stuff like Stronghold Gambit to circumvent hate.

Round 13 vs. UW Helm Control pilot - I won 2-1. This guy was playing a UW Control deck with Rest in Peace + Energy Field and Helm combo. I don't really care about Energy Field at all so that was easy to ignore. In the games I won I just beat countermagic and cast Eldrazi. In the game I lost he landed a surprise Back to Basics on me and won with Mentors. But really, short of a surprise like Back to Basics when I'm tapped out, I will pretty always beat this type of slow, traditional UW control deck.

Round 14 vs BUG Delver pilot - I lose 0-2 and just got crushed. This is the only match all day where I felt I wasn't in the game and was losing no matter what. He just had the perfect hands with Wastelands, Dazes, Force of Wills, and quick and early Tarmogoyfs and Delvers. In G2 I sandbag Cloudpost and play Glimmerpost instead first, and he doesn't show Wasteland, but I get impatient and then play Cloudpost G2 which he promptly wastelands. I needed Cloudpost to stay in play because I had multiple Vesuvas and Ugin in hand, but he sniffed it out and waited on it. Bleh.

Round 15 vs. Leovold? Delver? pilot - I won 2-1. These matches were close. He played Deathrites and Tarmogoyfs and Leovold. The games I won I won because I wasn't disrupted enough and the game I lost I lost because I was disrupted and faced quick pressure. He also made some mistakes and I took advantage of them. He took the lost pretty bad and started going on tilt at the end of the game, but later it turned out he had made 62nd place anyway despite losing so we actually ended up getting the same cash payout because I barely missed top-32 at 34th place and 33-64 receive the same minimum cash payout. So he did all that raging for nothing. :-)

The major takeaways for me from this event were:

- The deck is definitely in a pretty solid position in the meta right now because it just preys on all the mid-range blue decks that you see, and it *theoretically* has good combo matchups (despite me losing to Storm and Reanimator). I mean, most times against the Blade decks you're pretty heavily favored because they don't play enough disruption. The only blue decks that are really threatening are the Grixis Pyromancer decks and BUG Delver. Grixis is tough but beatable with all the sweepers, and BUG Delver is just really rough because they play K-Command, Decays, Hymns, Wastelands, and the like, but the good thing is that that deck is just not heavily played anymore.

- Ugin is amazing and consistently the best card in the deck. I basically never lost when I resolved Ugin because a.) it wiped the board immediately and b.) it stayed in play as a win condition. If you're not playing 4 Ugin I think you're doing it wrong. All is Dust is good, but it's not a win condition in and of itself. And if you play 4 Ugin main, and some All is Dust MD or SB, you have access to up to 8 sweepers anyway. I feel like you have to play both Ugin AND All is Dust in this format.

- I definitely need Warping Wail somewhere because having access to something that counters random sorceries and kills random x/1s (Metalworker, DRS, Thalia, Elves, Infect creatures) is incredibly useful. And against combo decks sometimes just having 4 Chalice and 4 Trinisphere isn't enough, surprisingly.

- Endbringer did little more than eat removal spells the few times I managed to resolve him. The problem with playing traditional creatures in this deck is that they're removal MAGNETS. Everyone in this format plays removal of some kind, and when you play a creature in a deck that's mostly non-creature stuff, it's like saying "Please use that StP that's rotting in your hand on me!" TKS is a different story because while it is a removal magnet too, its immediate hand-disruption effect is just so valuable that it's worth it, AND you can sometimes snag the removal and keep TKS if you don't see anything else threatening. Endbringer is just a 6 mana tempo sink if they immediately cast an edict effect or an StP on it. I'm pondering just playing All is Dust or going back to Karn Liberated in this slot.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Sunday I play chrisdissents list in Milan.

51 player 6 round.
    I finish 4 win 2 lose 10 position final

G1 vs miracle :
    W: 2 0...chalice and multiple ulamog win easy games.

G2: vs ant :
    W: 2 0...turn 1 chalice.. Turn 2 seer...g2 chalice and trinisphere is gg

G3 :eldrazi Stompy :
    L :0 2...is hard matchup...i Mull 2 game six card, my oppo cast very fast seer, smasher, endless...

G4 :eldrazi Stompy
    L:1 2...g1 fast seer and smasher kill me, G2 i ramp fast and cast ulamog turn 3 and win game. G3 long game I have 3 ancient tomb in play.... My life :(((( no top deck ulamog and big creatures never...

G5:ant
    W :2 0...fast game chalice 1 and 2 in G1... G2 my oppo start gitaxian and pass, I play monolith and trinisphere... Gg

G6 : grixis delver
    W : 2 0...g1 chalice 1 first turn and smasher kill my oppo... G2 my oppo play 2 delver and sciaman,i play trinisphere and next turn all is dust and 2 smasher kill easy my oppo.

Eldrazi Stompy is difficult matchup....i think wurmcoil is good vs this matchup.

This list is very solid vs combo deck and 4c and delver deck...vs eldrazi Stompy main deck i have 10 cards bad (4 chalice 3 trinisphere 3 all is dust) impossible match :(

- Endbringer did little more than eat removal spells the few times I managed to resolve him. The problem with playing traditional creatures in this deck is that they're removal MAGNETS. Everyone in this format plays removal of some kind, and when you play a creature in a deck that's mostly non-creature stuff, it's like saying "Please use that StP that's rotting in your hand on me!" TKS is a different story because while it is a removal magnet too, its immediate hand-disruption effect is just so valuable that it's worth it, AND you can sometimes snag the removal and keep TKS if you don't see anything else threatening. Endbringer is just a 6 mana tempo sink if they immediately cast an edict effect or an StP on it. I'm pondering just playing All is Dust or going back to Karn Liberated in this slot.
    I agree with your assessment, mostly. I find that when they cast a StP it's free turns because of the amount of life I gain in the exchange. When Jace has to go down, he isn't Brainstorming or making me wish I had any form of deck Manipulation.
    Also you're 100% right about Ugin. He hits the table and it's GG.

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

I like your more control-oriented approach, MGB. I believe it makes way more sense conceptually, given the primary gameplan of the deck.

This is the list I'd like to start with, which I may proxy up and play at my LGS soon:

Eldrazi Control

Lands (24)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    2 Eye of Ugin
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Karakas

Creatures (7)
    4 Thought-knot Seer
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Spells (29)
    3 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    4 All is Dust
    4 Warping Wail
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere
    4 Voltaic Key
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Thran Dynamo

Sideboard (15)
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Walking Ballista
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Karakas

So this list is doing a few things differently. First of all, I'm going full on control with Warping Wail, All is Dust, and Ugin.

Warping Wail is an efficient removal spell against most of the problematic creatures of the format, but also deals with other randomness like Natural Order, Show and Tell, Infernal Tutor, etc.

Playing 7 sweepers between All is Dust and Ugin puts me firmly in the control role by increasing my consistency to be able to sweep the board multiple times per game.

Because I'm heavier on business spells, I upped my manarock count to more consistently make big mana.

In the board, I want to try Surgical/Crypt instead of Leyline. I realize that Leyline is a million times better against Reanimator, but I want to be able to bring in graveyard hate for RG Lands that doesn't require me to mulligan into it.

All of this is experimental, so take this post with a grain of salt.
    Sligh
    Echo Stompy
    /r Miracle Intuition
    Yorion's Intuition
    5c Hollow Vine

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    I like your more control-oriented approach, MGB. I believe it makes way more sense conceptually, given the primary gameplan of the deck.

This is the list I'd like to start with, which I may proxy up and play at my LGS soon:

Eldrazi Control

Lands (24)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    2 Eye of Ugin
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Karakas

Creatures (7)
    4 Thought-knot Seer
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Spells (29)
    3 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    4 All is Dust
    4 Warping Wail
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere
    4 Voltaic Key
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Thran Dynamo

Sideboard (15)
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Walking Ballista
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Karakas

So this list is doing a few things differently. First of all, I'm going full on control with Warping Wail, All is Dust, and Ugin.

Warping Wail is an efficient removal spell against most of the problematic creatures of the format, but also deals with other randomness like Natural Order, Show and Tell, Infernal Tutor, etc.

Playing 7 sweepers between All is Dust and Ugin puts me firmly in the control role by increasing my consistency to be able to sweep the board multiple times per game.

Because I'm heavier on business spells, I upped my manarock count to more consistently make big mana.

In the board, I want to try Surgical/Crypt instead of Leyline. I realize that Leyline is a million times better against Reanimator, but I want to be able to bring in graveyard hate for Lands that doesn't require me to mulligan into it.

All of this is experimental, so take this post with a grain of salt.
    What do you think 7 creature main deck is little?

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

What do you think 7 creature main deck is little?
    I'm not sure. I think of Ugin as a threat also, so counting Eye of Ugin, that puts me at 8 finishers (I'm not including TKS here, although he can legitimately close games out if I'm sweeping the board multiple times with All is Dust). Is 8 not enough? Again, this is an experimental list that will be my starting point, so I don’t know yet.
    Sligh
    Echo Stompy
    /r Miracle Intuition
    Yorion's Intuition
    5c Hollow Vine

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

Thread Information