Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: BigEldrazi

Re: BigEldrazi

I've played alot of Coercive Portal in this deck, and it is a good card, but Azor's Gateway has the potential to not only be "Draw" but Draw that turns into mana acceleration.

This deck basically loses in four different ways:

- You hit your top-end but the top-end isn't good enough - i.e. you cast Ulamog but they have a whole army of Pyromancer tokens and you're at 2 life.

- You get disrupted out of your top-end - i.e. Wasteland, Dazes, Null Rod, etc. You either get locked out of the top-end completely via a lock (like Loam+Waste) or you get tempo'ed out by disruption + fast beats (like Delver)

- You flood out on top-end threats but don't have enough mana (this doesn't happen nearly as much as the following)

- You flood out on mana sources and don't draw your top-end.

The last situation is one of the most frustrating because you could be sitting with a board full of Cloudposts, Dynamos, Monoliths or whatever, but you just don't draw anything more than say, a Chalice of the Void or a Thought-Knot Seer. The previous scenario is also frustrating because you're usually missing just a bit of mana before you can "go off". Azor's Gateway has the potential to alleviate both downfall situations - it can function as that "extra mana" when you need it to not flood out on Top-End threats, and it can also function as a way to filter out your useless extra Voltaic Keys or extra Monoliths or Vesuvas and draw into your Top-end.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Going that way, what about Staff of domination ?

You can benefit well from huge amounts of mana, handle a creature, even gain life.

There is also great synergy with Voltaic Key => No ^^
    Last edited by Debonair; 01-17-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
    Going that way, what about Staff of domination ?

You can benefit well from huge amounts of mana, handle a creature, even gain life.
    There is also great synergy with Voltaic Key
    Doesn’t it's built-in first ability negate any need for key? Staff untaps itself.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Doesn’t it's built-in first ability negate any need for key? Staff untaps itself.
    Indeed, I forgot that you had to pay 1 mana for key, sorry
    Still an alternative to the cards discussed here, no ?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
    Indeed, I forgot that you had to pay 1 mana for key, sorry
    Still an alternative to the cards discussed here, no ?
    I'd say much too expensive for what it does. The deck contains eldrazi mana and one-shot artifact mana; you can't generally afford to go around paying 5 per card. But yeah, I'm still quite confident that outside of edge cases where the game goes particularly long, you don't usually have the time to make as much use of Azor's Gateway as you would of a mana accelerant or a threat in its stead. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course, but I doubt this is it. The second mode is really strong but takes too long to get to - you don't usually have 5 turns before you want to play your first threat. Though against denial heavy enemies it might occasionally steal games, which is pretty cool.

I think the best card main deck is 2 copy coercive portal....no decay target and very good card in big eldrazi. In this moment I play 2 copy main

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I'd say much too expensive for what it does. The deck contains eldrazi mana and one-shot artifact mana; you can't generally afford to go around paying 5 per card. But yeah, I'm still quite confident that outside of edge cases where the game goes particularly long, you don't usually have the time to make as much use of Azor's Gateway as you would of a mana accelerant or a threat in its stead. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course, but I doubt this is it. The second mode is really strong but takes too long to get to - you don't usually have 5 turns before you want to play your first threat. Though against denial heavy enemies it might occasionally steal games, which is pretty cool.

Also, with Voltaic Key on the board:

- First turn: pay 2 mana to cast Gateway, pay 1 more to activate it filtering card #1, then pay 1 mana to untap it with Key and pay 1 more to filter card #2
    - Second turn: pay 1 mana to activate it filtering card #3, then pay 1 more mana to untap it with Key and then pay 1 more to activate it filtering card #4
    - Third turn: pay 1 mana to activate it one last time, filtering card #5 - by this time you should have drawn into the top-end of your choice (Ugin, Eldrazi, All is Dust, etc) - and flipping Gateway to gain 5 life and have immediate access to 10+ mana (assuming your life total is 10 or more at this point)... at this point you have drawn 5 extra cards with the Gateway, gained 5 life, and are immediately able to cast something huge with the Sanctum.

So really it's not that much different from building your board state with traditional post lands and mana rocks - you don't have access to tons of mana immediately but you spend a few turns building your board presence before you cast something big. This way, you also have access to a single land that usually generates 10+ mana every turn, too, so you don't have to rely on untapping artifacts or anything, and alongside the post mana you should be able to fetch stuff with Eye of Ugin and cast them in the same turn. You might even have enough mana with this to consider playing Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, which is the best Eldrazi to cast if you only have enough mana to cast it consistently (without Sanctum of the Sun I'd say you don't, but with Sanctum, you might).
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Also, with Voltaic Key on the board:

- First turn: pay 2 mana to cast Gateway, pay 1 more to activate it filtering card #1, then pay 1 mana to untap it with Key and pay 1 more to filter card #2
    - Second turn: pay 1 mana to activate it filtering card #3, then pay 1 more mana to untap it with Key and then pay 1 more to activate it filtering card #4
    - Third turn: pay 1 mana to activate it one last time, filtering card #5 - by this time you should have drawn into the top-end of your choice (Ugin, Eldrazi, All is Dust, etc) - and flipping Gateway to gain 5 life and have immediate access to 10+ mana (assuming your life total is 10 or more at this point)... at this point you have drawn 5 extra cards with the Gateway, gained 5 life, and are immediately able to cast something huge with the Sanctum.

So really it's not that much different from building your board state with traditional post lands and mana rocks - you don't have access to tons of mana immediately but you spend a few turns building your board presence before you cast something big. This way, you also have access to a single land that usually generates 10+ mana every turn, too, so you don't have to rely on untapping artifacts or anything, and alongside the post mana you should be able to fetch stuff with Eye of Ugin and cast them in the same turn. You might even have enough mana with this to consider playing Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, which is the best Eldrazi to cast if you only have enough mana to cast it consistently (without Sanctum of the Sun I'd say you don't, but with Sanctum, you might).
    Write you list gateway main deck.
    I very interested

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    I think the best card main deck is 2 copy coercive portal....no decay target and very good card in big eldrazi. In this moment I play 2 copy main
    I agree. I also think 4 Eye of Ugin is a good idea in the event of flooding with no threats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TTX View Post
    I agree. I also think 4 Eye of Ugin is a good idea in the event of flooding with no threats.

I play 3 eye of ugin... 4 copy is much for me

I play 3 eye of ugin... 4 copy is much for me
    I agree, 3 Eye seems to be a good number.

One doesn't want multiples in the opening 7, even with Urborg present.

I find it’s easily draws Wastelands if you lead with it. Yes, sometimes it’s crap.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Me have two at side currently, i think while it can backfire (to wipe out your own stuff too) its a super cheap to get both: extra draws and the ability to kill the field including Back to Basic and other nasty stuffs - most opponent need to get rid of that or cant win with permanents.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Yeah as i mentioned some weeks ago, Azor's Gateway will only work in a traditional build with lots of bombs that are good if you reach the mana but are useless if you build up or be disrupted - in this case Gateway is good to filter away stuff until you either draw better cards for the situation or to develope enough mana - it dont need to flip in this case!

My problem with it is, that it still needs slots, its another bad topdeck if your hand is empty, tend to do nothing in some situations (you use mana to cast early prison stuff, mana rocks or TKS etc.) and overall needs to go back to overloaded builds with Ugin&Co which i prevented successful already. Build up the deck with more Midrange stuff and interactive cards like Warping Wail already covers a lot of problems that Azor's Gateway might solve too. So i feel its a trap but its okay if i am wrong and the card is better than O.Sower builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
    I agree, 3 Eye seems to be a good number.

One doesn't want multiples in the opening 7, even with Urborg present.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTX View Post
    I find it’s easily draws Wastelands if you lead with it. Yes, sometimes it’s crap.
    3 is a good point, starting with it is bad in most situations because you do nothing turn 1 (aka Casting Chalice, Key, Monolith or hold up WWail or ramp into Cloudposts) - yes catching a Wasteland with multiple eyes is okay but multiple eyes are already a bad keep since we dont run cheap Mimic/Endless One stuff like aggro eldrazi to profit from T1 Eye.

1-2 Conduit of Ruin work very well if you want more tutors.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    Me have two at side currently, i think while it can backfire (to wipe out your own stuff too) its a super cheap to get both: extra draws and the ability to kill the field including Back to Basic and other nasty stuffs - most opponent need to get rid of that or cant win with permanents.
    I suggest you read the card again. Unless your opponent is an utter dimwit Coercive Portal will always only draw you an extra card and never get rid of anything. The disk alternative of the card requires you and your opponent to agree on it being the right decision to wipe the board.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    I suggest you read the card again. Unless your opponent is an utter dimwit Coercive Portal will always only draw you an extra card and never get rid of anything. The disk alternative of the card requires you and your opponent to agree on it being the right decision to wipe the board.
    Yeah you are right about it - maybe its i never really liked the card and only used it currently for some games - maybe this is also the reason i always won the games my eldrazi or mud opponent had the card on the field^^

@Azor's Gateway: Watch out for a 5:0 modo list today cyriss tried our sower build with it and adjusted it, worked out - still in the air if it makes the cut, but wasnt bad overall.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Yeah you are right about it - maybe its i never really liked the card and only used it currently for some games - maybe this is also the reason i always won the games my eldrazi or mud opponent had the card on the field^^

@Azor's Gateway: Watch out for a 5:0 modo list today cyriss tried our sower build with it and adjusted it, worked out - still in the air if it makes the cut, but wasnt bad overall.
    I saw cyriss play a mirror this morning (and knock out streamers from a lgs in Utah) and they seemed impressed by gateway. The Lost the match in three games, only winning the game he played gateway. He also left in chalice which I assume you board out in the mirror?

However, they copied a list and didn't customize it at all. That said in the league they ran after that 2-3 one they went 5-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocheloco View Post
    This list is particular...i don't like 2 simian main deck and 4 endbringer is so much.
    But 5 0 is good

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I saw cyriss play a mirror this morning (and knock out streamers from a lgs in Utah) and they seemed impressed by gateway. The Lost the match in three games, only winning the game he played gateway. He also left in chalice which I assume you board out in the mirror? .
    Secret Tech?! Nope it was more like, forget to board out 1 chalice and punished/draw immediately Yeah he lost the match with Gateway because facing quick double TKS and one Sower otp cant be outplayed - mirror contains some skilltest but its (like eldrazi aggro) in most cases very lopsided, starting the match with Cloudpost and be faster with TKS and Sower should nearly guarantees a win (it has nothing to do with the player).

Quote Originally Posted by Cocheloco View Post
    hell no - some elements might be good and 5:0 is a nice result but i dont expect to see the list do well quite often
    TEAM MtG Berlin

He, he... I thought you had become crazy! Could you post the 5-0 list please?

Secret Tech?! Nope it was more like, forget to board out 1 chalice and punished/draw immediately Yeah he lost the match with Gateway because facing quick double TKS and one Sower otp cant be outplayed - mirror contains some skilltest but its (like eldrazi aggro) in most cases very lopsided, starting the match with Cloudpost and be faster with TKS and Sower should nearly guarantees a win (it has nothing to do with the player).

hell no - some elements might be good and 5:0 is a nice result but i dont expect to see the list do well quite often

Thread Information