Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: BigEldrazi

Re: BigEldrazi

@MGB Is 3rd and 4th Karn worth 2 slots in SB? I thought that we are already well positioned against 3-4c Leovold control and Miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoclasm View Post
    @MGB Is 3rd and 4th Karn worth 2 slots in SB? I thought that we are already well positioned against 3-4c Leovold control and Miracles.
    That's definitely a judgement call we have to make. I could see instead playing more Storm hate like Thorn of Amethyst copies (for some reason I still lose to this deck more than I should) or other targeted hate.

I just like having something in the SB to swap in for the Thought Knot Seers against decks with Swords to Plowshares and/or Edict effects. It's an easy substitution to make against those decks - make their removal dead and exchange it for more card advantage.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    That's definitely a judgement call we have to make. I could see instead playing more Storm hate like Thorn of Amethyst copies (for some reason I still lose to this deck more than I should) or other targeted hate.

I just like having something in the SB to swap in for the Thought Knot Seers against decks with Swords to Plowshares and/or Edict effects. It's an easy substitution to make against those decks - make their removal dead and exchange it for more card advantage.
    Here's some TKS substiutions. Most are gimmicks
    Crucible of Worlds
    Crystal Ball
    Disrupting Scepter
    Ensnaring Bridge
    Inspiring Statuary
    Matter Reshaper
    Oblivion Stone
    Staff of Domination
    Titan's Pressense

Crucible of Worlds is a possibility but it would only be semi-live against Wasteland decks because we have no Wasteland of our own to recur.
    Crystal Ball is garbage.
    Disrupting Scepter is bad in modern day Magic.
    I already have 4 Ensnaring Bridge in the SB.
    Inspriing Statuary is worse than just tapping Monliths for mana.
    Matter Reshaper is just another removal magnet this deck doesn't need.
    Oblivion Stone blows up too many of our permanents.
    Staff of Domination is definitely decent in our deck but much better with Metalworker.
    Titan's Presence seems strictly worse than Spatial Contortion or Dismember, which we already don't need.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Crucible of Worlds is a possibility but it would only be semi-live against Wasteland decks because we have no Wasteland of our own to recur.
    Crystal Ball is garbage.
    Disrupting Scepter is bad in modern day Magic.
    I already have 4 Ensnaring Bridge in the SB.
    Inspriing Statuary is worse than just tapping Monliths for mana.
    Matter Reshaper is just another removal magnet this deck doesn't need.
    Oblivion Stone blows up too many of our permanents.
    Staff of Domination is definitely decent in our deck but much better with Metalworker.
    Titan's Presence seems strictly worse than Spatial Contortion or Dismember, which we already don't need.
    I think you're a little too dismissive of matter reshaped but I agree with most of what you said. TKS is just really good there even in the face of removal!

Well usually TKS only eats removal against fair decks. So if you're one of your only road blocks out against a fair deck you ideally want to replaced it with something else that can stall or block to not be dead. Maybe Staff of Domination or trading post or something like that.

I finally was feeling well enough to play at the local four-round tournament:
    2-2 final, winning 100% of game twos, and losing every die roll.

Thoughts:
    Deck remains weak to wasteland, losing nearly every game it was played.
    Mana Rocks coast around Blood Moon.
    Deck desperately needs more cards in the late game to make sure it has threats and not more lock/land pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I finally was feeling well enough to play at the local four-round tournament:
    2-2 final, winning 100% of game twos, and losing every die roll.

Thoughts:
    Deck remains weak to wasteland, losing nearly every game it was played.
    Mana Rocks coast around Blood Moon.
    Deck desperately needs more cards in the late game to make sure it has threats and not more lock/land pieces.
    I think that's the case with all decks that doesn't play cantrips...you're at the mercy of the top deck. That said I found playing multiple conduits of Ruin help, since they tutor up a second threat for you.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I think that's the case with all decks that doesn't play cantrips...you're at the mercy of the top deck. That said I found playing multiple conduits of Ruin help, since they tutor up a second threat for you.
    This more so than many others since you need such a large amount of mana in the deck that your percentage of action topdecks is significantly lower than in something like Death & Taxes or Elves. On the flipside, you only need to hit one thing to end the game. Dual effect cards like Eye of Ugin, Hedron Archive, the mentioned Conduit, Oblivion Sower and company do help alleviate this somewhat too.

Third place list (out of 76 players) from KMC 95TH

http://mtgkmc.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-565.html

I don't understand what the Mirage Mirror is for.

3rd Place
    Player Name:Nakamura Ryosuke
    Deck Name:13ポスト
    Deck Designer:

Main
    4 《作り変えるもの/Matter Reshaper》
    4 《難題の予見者/Thought-Knot Seer》
    4 《現実を砕くもの/Reality Smasher》
    1 《終末を招くもの/Endbringer》
    1 《歩行バリスタ/Walking Ballista》
    2 《絶え間ない飢餓、ウラモグ/Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger》
    1 《引き裂かれし永劫、エムラクール/Emrakul, the Aeons Torn》
    4 《虚空の杯/Chalice of the Void》
    3 《厳かなモノリス/Grim Monolith》
    3 《魔術遠眼鏡/Sorcerous Spyglass》
    3 《蜃気楼の鏡/Mirage Mirror》
    2 《全ては塵/All Is Dust》
    1 《解放された者、カーン/Karn Liberated》
    1 《精霊龍、ウギン/Ugin, the Spirit Dragon》
    4 《雲上の座/Cloudpost》
    4 《微光地/Glimmerpost》
    4 《古えの墳墓/Ancient Tomb》
    4 《エルドラージの寺院/Eldrazi Temple》
    3 《裏切り者の都/City of Traitors》
    2 《ウギンの目/Eye of Ugin》
    2 《ヴェズーヴァ/Vesuva》
    2 《ヨーグモスの墳墓、アーボーグ/Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth》
    1 《魂の洞窟/Cavern of Souls》

Side
    4 《虚空の力線/Leyline of the Void》
    3 《Helm of Obedience》
    3 《三なる宝球/Trinisphere》
    3 《歪める嘆き/Warping Wail》
    1 《魔術遠眼鏡/Sorcerous Spyglass》
    1 《Karakas》
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    Third place list (out of 76 players) from KMC 95TH

http://mtgkmc.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-565.html

I don't understand what the Mirage Mirror is for.

3rd Place
    Player Name:Nakamura Ryosuke
    Deck Name:13ポスト
    Deck Designer:

Main
    4 《作り変えるもの/Matter Reshaper》
    4 《難題の予見者/Thought-Knot Seer》
    4 《現実を砕くもの/Reality Smasher》
    1 《終末を招くもの/Endbringer》
    1 《歩行バリスタ/Walking Ballista》
    2 《絶え間ない飢餓、ウラモグ/Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger》
    1 《引き裂かれし永劫、エムラクール/Emrakul, the Aeons Torn》
    4 《虚空の杯/Chalice of the Void》
    3 《厳かなモノリス/Grim Monolith》
    3 《魔術遠眼鏡/Sorcerous Spyglass》
    3 《蜃気楼の鏡/Mirage Mirror》
    2 《全ては塵/All Is Dust》
    1 《解放された者、カーン/Karn Liberated》
    1 《精霊龍、ウギン/Ugin, the Spirit Dragon》
    4 《雲上の座/Cloudpost》
    4 《微光地/Glimmerpost》
    4 《古えの墳墓/Ancient Tomb》
    4 《エルドラージの寺院/Eldrazi Temple》
    3 《裏切り者の都/City of Traitors》
    2 《ウギンの目/Eye of Ugin》
    2 《ヴェズーヴァ/Vesuva》
    2 《ヨーグモスの墳墓、アーボーグ/Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth》
    1 《魂の洞窟/Cavern of Souls》

Side
    4 《虚空の力線/Leyline of the Void》
    3 《Helm of Obedience》
    3 《三なる宝球/Trinisphere》
    3 《歪める嘆き/Warping Wail》
    1 《魔術遠眼鏡/Sorcerous Spyglass》
    1 《Karakas》
    No idea...maybe to net +1 mana copying a grim or posts? I supposed it's pretty verstile and can also act like a road block when facing creatures.

Other Top4 4 with Big Eldrazi, and in the sideboard two Azor's Gateway ¿Versus what decks is good the Azor's Gateway?, ¿control decks?

Stefano Stissi playing Post Ramp Position: 4
    Deck Name: Eldrazi Cloudpost Sideboard
    Creatures [12]
    1 Emrakul, the Promised End
    1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
    3 Endbringer
    3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    Sorceries [2]
    2 All Is Dust
    Planeswalkers [4]
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    Artifacts [19]
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Thran Dynamo
    2 Voltaic Key
    3 Basalt Monolith
    3 Grim Monolith
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    Lands [24]
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Eye of Ugin
    3 Vesuva
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Glimmerpost
    SIDEBOARD:
    2 Azor's Gateway
    1 Karakas
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Spatial Contortion
    3 Warping Wail
    2 Wurmcoil Engine

Do you like the deck?

Re: mirror, it's good against lands, or reanimator, and based on his creature base he can tap it for manas and/or attack with it. I think it's not good enough but I can see it.
    Re: gateway, I hyped this card when it came out but then got sick and couldn't really test. It does the things this deck needs help with ie filters topdecks. It might just be a worse coercive portal but that flip seems awfully tempting (I actually think it is meh, because if it flips you probably have the Mana)

Yeah, it looks weird but this isn't the only time he's made top 8 with 3 Mirrors. It must be good for something. I think the deck name he entered is "13post" so I'm guessing post is what it copies most of the time.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

It's spoiler season!
    Meteor Golem looks like an interesting sideboard, but I don't think it has a place.
    Be on the lookout for a new Ugin. The story of core19 is how bolas came to hate ugin. Bolas has been spoiled as a flippy walker, and I expect the same of ugin.

Edit: Ugin, despite narrating the story will not appear in this set.
    Last edited by FourDogsinaHorseSuit; 06-22-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Man, this deck has been on a TEAR for me on MODO recently.

The past 5 leagues for me have been something like 4-1, 5-0, 4-1, 4-1, 3-2.

The deck just feels like it doesn't lose unless you make a ton of mistakes or opponent has a good deck vs. you and draws well.

Once you figure out how to properly play and sideboard the new Karn in this deck, it adds a whole different dimension and lets you play the mid-range game effectively while still being rock-solid against combo and control.

The combination of Karn and TKS at the 4-mana slot give this deck a punishing mid-game presence while still maintaining the nigh-unbeatable top-end and fast disruption in the early game.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Man, this deck has been on a TEAR for me on MODO recently.

The past 5 leagues for me have been something like 4-1, 5-0, 4-1, 4-1, 3-2.

The deck just feels like it doesn't lose unless you make a ton of mistakes or opponent has a good deck vs. you and draws well.

Once you figure out how to properly play and sideboard the new Karn in this deck, it adds a whole different dimension and lets you play the mid-range game effectively while still being rock-solid against combo and control.

The combination of Karn and TKS at the 4-mana slot give this deck a punishing mid-game presence while still maintaining the nigh-unbeatable top-end and fast disruption in the early game.
    What's your current list? Looking to make a return to Legacy and specifically this deck. Congrats on the success!

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    What's your current list? Looking to make a return to Legacy and specifically this deck. Congrats on the success!
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1107779#paper

This is my deck from the Challenge a few weeks ago that I've been playing in leagues since then with consistent success, with ONE change - I swapped out the 2 Eldrazi Temples for 2 Crystal Veins and they've been amazing for me.

Crystal Vein is really good in the version with less Eldrazi and more Karns / Ugins / Mana rocks. Both lands tap for 1 mana unless they are being used situationally differently. Because the only advantage Temple has over Vein is that it can be used to tap for 2 mana repeatedly, but only for Eldrazi. But if you're popping Crystal Vein for 2 mana to cast a big Eldrazi, then you're probably already winning and you don't care about your land disappearing. And in some situations Crystal Vein can be crucial in deciding the early part of the game because you can pop it to play a Chalice @ 1 on turn 1 like Tomb/City 9-10. Whereas Eldrazi Temple can never do that and can only tap for 1 mana unless it's casting Eldrazis. The only time Temple is definitely better than Vein is when you really need to cast TKS or All is Dust early and don't want to lose your land, but those situations are outnumbered by the number of situations where you can cast Chalice @ 1 early, or cast an Ugin with just enough mana by popping the Vein, or cast a Grim Monlith + Voltaic Key on turn 1 into Karn/TKS/Trinisphere or something equally broken.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

How do you find it playing without needles or spyglasses in your 75?

Also 4 City of traitors seems like it could be so rough, how is that working out for you?

Thread Information