Thread: *** TUSK TALK \\ NEW episode \\ shops gets smoked ***

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

*** TUSK TALK \\ NEW episode \\ shops gets smoked ***

LINK:

http://www.eternalcentral.com/tusk-t...s-gets-smoked/

Shawn French (Frenchie), Zack Wilson (DEEEEEEED), Sean O’Brien (nedleeds) are joined (late) by blue afficienado Greg Mitchell (hotcarl) for the fifth episode of Tusk Talk. This episode we take a look at the various BBQ styles, the April 4th banned and restricted announcement and the pile known as Tin Fins.

Recorded Monday, April 5th 2016

Contact us at TuskTalk@gmail.com or at @TeamTuskMTG

00:00 : Intro and BBQ Texas vs. Everyone
    11:00 : Forcing Black Lotus?
    17:00 : Lodestone Golem is Restricted, rationale, reaction
    19:50 : Dredge on MTGO
    40:00 : What about Oath? Don’t you want someone to care about you?
    50:00 : Timing of the decision
    60:00 : Gorging on the new metagame
    70:00 : Teeg Strikes Back
    80:00 : What would Mishra do?
    90:00 : Tinfins Idiocy
    95:00 : Upcoming Events
    Tusk Up

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Re: *** TUSK TALK \\ NEW episode \\ shops gets smoked ***

Thanks for posting this. As a transplanted East Coaster, I enjoyed the BBQ talk.

Interesting to hear the mix of opinions on the Lodestone restriction. Almost everyone I've talked to in-person has either outright opposed the restriction or wanted Chalice unrestricted, so I was surprised to hear you guys split down the middle on Shops. While it might make Shops less oppressive, I can't imagine it will push the format in a more fun direction: I'm betting Shops just shifts towards an even grindier, grosser, more-prisony game that no one will actually enjoy. But I guess that's better than just losing to T1 Lodestone.

I would have liked some more Legacy talk, but I guess it's inevitable you'd focus on Vintage after the B&R change .

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Was great to get a vintage centric episode in, especially shortly after golem restriction. Next episode will go deep into legacy again.
    Tusk Up

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Going Deep. DEEEEEEEP.......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

There is Texas style barbeque sauce. It is tomato based like a Memphis sauce but only faintly sweet and with chili peppers added to make it spicy. You are 100% correct that good brisket doesn't need sauce; however, the spice does compliment it well when used in moderation. I tend to sauce chopped brisket but let sliced brisket speak for itself.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

This was an excellent episode.

I actually checked less than a week ago, wether there had been a new podcast since the last one, I had missed.

Need these more often than currently.

Love the FOW lotus story. You guys clearly see through our european souls.
    Since i'm european (not greek!) i don't know anything about BBQ. Please do a BBQ 101 podcast with some vintage on the side.

I'm also a big fan of your twitch-channel. Very fun stream.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Enjoyed the Vintage episode. I do wish you guys casted more often, but I realize that you also have lives.

Yeah schedules are real, there are alot of Tusks though so I'm hoping we can rotate regularly. This was Vintage focused, but the next one we can jump back to legacy and perhaps another food group. I can't do set reviews anymore, they are really a waste of time but there are some cards in this set with text that might be worth talking about. Multiple people played TITI and I played Heir of Falkenrith this week at Legacy.

I played Heir of Falkenrith
    Poor, korean, signed i hope?

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Interesting Vintage talk. March's vintage event went down in players but I forgot who kept stressing Gush was a bigger portion of he field...by 3 decks. It was wasn't vastly bigger than Shops. I'm positive they use data from MODO for Vintage restrictions. I also bet they've kept track of viewership and vintage growth from VSL and used that to come to a decision as well. Whether we like it or not, how good things look on stream is going to be a driving factor for the management of eternal formats, so less prison could be the trend going forward.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Maybe a podcast discussing the value and dangers of ferrin cards? SEE: Chinese Submerge , Russian Massacre Wurm

Also, I'm from Texas and fat. Brisket does not need sauce, if you put sauce on a good brisket you have no idea what you are ruining .

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Soldier Stompy

Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    Interesting Vintage talk. March's vintage event went down in players but I forgot who kept stressing Gush was a bigger portion of he field...by 3 decks. It was wasn't vastly bigger than Shops. I'm positive they use data from MODO for Vintage restrictions. I also bet they've kept track of viewership and vintage growth from VSL and used that to come to a decision as well. Whether we like it or not, how good things look on stream is going to be a driving factor for the management of eternal formats, so less prison could be the trend going forward.
    Shops (ravager, aggro, tiny robots, dark depths, uba stax)
    Number of Players 15
    Win Percentage 52.6%

Gush (mentor, delver, grixis pyromancer)
    Number of Players 18
    Win Percentage 55.2%

What I'm saying is that any sane person looking at these numbers would have a hard time justifying a restriction from deck "group" one. Even grouping them is a little biased, as a Depths shop deck is a different deck than Genesis Chamber. If we want to lump decks that have 8-10 common cards together we can lump

"Blue Control" (landstill, grixis, painter, thoughtcast, etc.)
    Number of Players 14
    Win Percentage 40.9%

in with Gush, or maybe

Oath (odd, omni)
    Number of Players 3
    Win Percentage 77.8%

since Oath shares Force, Misstep, Preordain, the blue restricted cards.

My core argument is the DCI acted with haste because of pressure from people who don't play much Vintage (given their other Magic commitments). Vintage metagames move more slowly because as a whole (paper / mtgo) far less vintage is played than Modern, Standard, Sealed or even Legacy. It takes longer for the internet to copy lists and shift a metagame. MTGO moves quicker because it's easier to get in and out of cards, and netdecking is a right click, Save As away. Maybe this restriction would have been justified, but the March data absolutely didn't support it (or it supported a restriction in the more successful Gush decks alongside Golem). I supported waiting for the next set release, which would still be well before Vintage champs.

I also supported unbanning a card with no text in Legacy like Mind Twist or Earthcraft.

Here's your latest daily. Looks super interesting.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Here's your latest daily. Looks super interesting.
    Man, that sucks.
    Fucking miserable.
    Tusk Up

Storm wrecks these decks, so maybe it's time for people to get creative.

Quote Originally Posted by hymnyou View Post
    Man, that sucks.
    Fucking miserable.
    Don't worry, Ravager Shops 4-0'd the following daily.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/401838

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Don't worry, Ravager Shops 4-0'd the following daily.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/401838
    I actually really like that SB a lot. Can someone who knows vintage much more than I explain the 4 Triskelion? Is it really that good? Is it because of the synergy with Ravager and modular?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I actually really like that SB a lot. Can someone who knows vintage much more than I explain the 4 Triskelion? Is it really that good? Is it because of the synergy with Ravager and modular?
    The Ravager/Trike machine gun is real. Triskelion isn't bad on it's own. It's a 4/4 when you need it and a notorious T.I.M. otherwise.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Starting to think vintage on MTGO is just a small store with 18 guys trying to game each other.

Thread Information