Thread: 1,043 Matches Later — My Legacy by the Numbers

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

1,043 Matches Later — My Legacy by the Numbers

Hey guys, I just published a comprehensive statistical analysis of all 1,043 sanctioned matches of Legacy I have played over the last 9 years. It's a pretty big volume of data and I hope you'll be able to enjoy it. Even though it's just a glimpse into my very own personal adventure and the statistics of my journey as a Magic player, I still think this could be interesting for a lot of people, or even inspire them to analyse their own career the same way.

You can find it on my website: 1,043 Matches Later - My Legacy by the Numbers

Julian
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: 1,043 Matches Later — My Legacy by the Numbers

Have only skimmed through it at this point, but that is a remarkable piece of work.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Most important statistic:
    We played two times. I won both 2:0. Easy.
    Also that 63% in Berlin. That cannot be true. You have to come back and prove it.

Nonetheless, nice work.
    Decks played: 24. That's a lot.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Great article! and impressive win percentage moreso when you're so well known figure in the scene... sadly, I haven't played you yet

btw. funny how first 3 replies are from Storm players (as if to condole poor Josef)

Good luck in Ovino!

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Really cool analysis.

I checked my own record. For one, I don't have nearly as prolifiic a playing experience; I've played mostly in local stores, and I can count the out-of-state cities I've traveled to for Legacy on one hand. Regardless, I have a record of 213 sanctioned non-ID matches and a career record of 113-92-8 (55% win), going back to 2004 when it was still Type 1.5.

I have 3 distinct phases in my career:

2004-2005 - High school; I had a deck for each format and played whatever was the free local Sunday event was, which rotated every week. I was slamming Dark Rits into Hyppies and Sengirs in Vintage, but I don't remember what I was trying to do in 1.5. This probably shouldn't count but I counted it anyway.
    2010-2011 - In college, I didn't play much, due to no events in my town and no car. I played Draft FNMs when I came home but never much constructed. I moved back home in grad school, and became interested in competitive Legacy shortly after that. I didn't make it to any huge events like GPs, but I traveled to Vestal, NY every month for 1K+ events. Played 3 different decks competitively during that period (Goblins, Deadguy, New Horizons). Had the most success with NH, DGA was the worst for me.
    2015-present - I sold my entire 15 year collection early in 2011 because I thought the game was too distracting from "real life" and I knew that selling my cards would stop me from falling back into the game. Obviously didn't work. Bought back into the game last year, and quickly realized I had to get back into Legacy. I started off with Burn, which I did terribly with. I switched to a Junk build that has been very successful for me lately. 23-11-1 since switching off of Burn, including 3 X-0 locals and a 1K Top 4 this past weekend.

Thread Information