Thread: Fight For Power #7 Ancestral Recall Top 8 (Burn)

Fight For Power #7 Ancestral Recall Top 8 (Burn)

Mainboard (60)
    10 Mountain
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Lightning bolt
    4 Fireblast
    4 Price of Progress
    3 Searing Blaze
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard (15)
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Smash to Smithereens
    3 Pyrostatic Pillar
    4 Exquisite Firecraft

Round 1 Miracles (2-1)
    Game 1 goes pretty poorly, having him stabalize at 3 with counter top and ultimating a Jace the Mind Sculptor to get me.
    Out: 4 Price of Progress 3 Searing Blaze 1 Lava Spike
    In: 4 Exquisite Firecraft 3 Pyrostatic Pillar 1 Pithing needle

Round 2 - 12 Post (Mono G Candelabra) (2-1)

Game 1 he crop rotates into a glacial chasm and does the cool trick with thespians stage. Once he gets of glacial chasm I have about 4 burn spells to finish him
    Out: 1 Eidolon 3 Searing Blaze
    In: 1 Pithing Needle 3 Smash to Smithereens

Game 2 he sits on a glacial chasm and karakas Ulamog loops all my lands. I lose quickly

Game 3 he mulligans to 5 and I smash to smithereens his sphere of resistance and his Candelabra and he can't beat that

Round 3 Grixis Delver (2-0)

Game 1 I blow him out with multiple searing blazes on his deathrite shamans and delvers and he can't beat my eidolon
    Out: 2 Lava Spike
    In: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    (Given what I saw game one I thought he was BUG Delver)

Game 2 I quickly realize he is on grixis delver and I sideboarded incorrectly. He stumbles on a land drop and I am able to take the game over in a heartbeat.

Round 4- Miracles (2-0)(Feature Match)

Game 1 he doesn't have any real action just a lot of cantrips and top activations and I make light work of him.

Out: 4 price of progress 3 searing blaze 1 Lava Spike
    In: 1 Pithing Needle 3 Pyrostatix Pillar 4 Exquisite Firecraft

Game 2 he gets me under Counter Top but my hand is Firecrafts Rift Bolts and Fireblasts (the most difficult or impossible cards for him to counter)

Round 5 Shardless Agent (0-2)

Game 1 we get to a close game and he starts smacking me with a tarmogoyf. He has the force for my last burn spell. Shit happens.

Out- 2 Sulfuric Vortex
    In- 2 Ensnaring Bridge

Game 2 goes exactly the same as Game 1.

This matchup was very tilting because of the fact that Shardless is a great matchup for me, but sometimes they just have the unbeatble hand against you.

Round 6 ANT (2-1) *Win-and-In*

Game 1 I don't keep a hand with Eidolon and he makes lightwork of me, meh.

Out: 3 Searing Blaze 2 Sulfuric Vortex
    In: 3 Pyrostatic Pillar 2 Grafdiggers

Game 2 I mulligan to a hand of Fireblast 2 Lands Eidolon Bolt Pyrostatic Pillar. He has a duress and then a Lotus Petal therapy to take both my eidolon effects. I topdeck an Eidolon and he can't beat it.

Game 3 I keep a good 7 card hand with an eidolon and a pillarr. He is able to storm off and go to 4 to cast tendrills and I fireblast him in response.

Round 7 ---- ID

Top 8 Miracles (0-2)
    Game 1 I keep a fine hand and get counter topped early in the game, only drawing lands and searing blazes. He ultimates a Jace at 3 just like the guy in Round 1.

*Sideboard is the same as the other 2 Miracles Matches*

Game 2 He has a counterbalance only and blind flips 3 times. That's variance for you. He gets a stoneforge for batterskull and I am dead.

Overall I don't feel like I made any mistakes and think my level of play was great. Definitely feel like burn is a better deck in legacy than most people give it credit for.
    Last edited by brenden2000; 05-05-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Re: Fight For Power #7 Ancestral Recall Top 8 (Burn)

Quote Originally Posted by brenden2000 View Post
    Definitely feel like burn is a better deck in legacy than most people give it credit for.
    People just don't respect Price of Progress enough until they got Pop-ed; then they get all panicky, trying to gun it via discard and Meddling Mage. The deck's biggest enemy is not the combo MUs, it's itself. That's why you see some players from SCG Classic run 4 PoP in the shell of UR Delvers, to try to get the best of both worlds.

Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs

Re: Fight For Power #7 Ancestral Recall Top 8 (Burn)

No Pyroblast or REB in the sideboard?

Thread Information