Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eternal Weekend: Oct. 27-30 Columbus, OH

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Eternal Weekend: Oct. 27-30 Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    It doesn't take 20 seconds to resolve a Top activation. Judges need to be stricter on this. Even if he's not intentionally running down the clock, when he rearranges the cards in one order within 5 seconds (which is good) and then takes 15 seconds looking at the order before putting them back on top of his deck, that's what needs to be called out more often for "slow play."
    That just doesn't sound feasible and like a logistic nightmare, given the amount of judge calls. SDT was banned for power and time reasons in Extended, and it never even became legal in Modern due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    You're free to play Modern
    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I've stopped playing completely
    Emphasize mine.

@Mods: Can we please make "Go play Modern!" (aka the Source's euphemism for "Go fuck yourself!") an offense that deserves a warning? It would make discussions more civil in the long run.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

That just doesn't sound feasible and like a logistic nightmare, given the amount of judge calls. SDT was banned for power and time reasons in Extended, and it never even became legal in Modern due to that.
    Good thing there weren't actually that many Miracles players (given how many Miracles decks there were that day) going to turns during EW so you're vastly overestimating the amount of judge calls for slow play by a Miracles opponent that will be made. I myself was even complemented by several of my opponents for being a quick Miracles player. And most of us Miracles players are quick. Unfortunately, the slowest of us all was put on cam and that gives a bad name to the rest of us.

@Mods: Can we please make "Go play Modern!" (aka the Source's euphemism for "Go fuck yourself!") an offense that deserves a warning? It would make discussions more civil in the long run.
    In the same light, can we make blanket statements about all Miracles players being slow a warn-able offense? It perpetuates an ignorant belief.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Yet perfectly fine and within the rules. Which is why it's so annyoing. If you opponent spends like 20s doing this, he's perfectly safe as long as he's not doing it to run down the clock.

As much as I hate Miracles and SDT in particular, I don't think anyone could accuse the guy of Slow Play. He was super sloppy et al and also got warnings for it, but Slow Play? Maybe there were some instances, but overall pace of play still seemed fine. Which doesn't mean that it wasn't a problem as one could see from the game clock. But that's a rules and context problem with SDT in general.
    I'd like to elaborate that I'm not accusing him of Slow Play. Just saying he played slowly. I don't think he's intentionally slow playing, just that he's a slow player, playing a slow deck. And it's completely miserable for playing, viewing, and logistical purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

This was my first time going to Eternal Weekend and I had a blast. I played against miracles 0 times on Saturday, which I felt very odd.
    I also did quite well for a deck I haven't really played a lot, Mono-red Sneak Attack aka BIG RED (my shirt gave it away at times)

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I mean, let's not pile on TOO much on the poor guy. He needed pocket chocolate to make it through the match; maybe he was tired and his earlier matches went better. I didn't perceive that he was wasting too much time. He only topped to see the same three cards once. :)

Basically, the worst I saw was how he was throwing away his StP trump cards against worthless creatures in Game 2. Not sure what that was all about. But, hey, he won anyway since he drew all of em.
    The swords in game 2 were very aggressive imo, but he managed to win that game despite that really questionable line(s). The worst I noticed was the triple fetch crack to hard cast Force of Will while his opponent had Urborg in play in game 3. He would have had a ton of extra looks with top at the end of that game had he noticed the Urborg + fetch interaction.

Emphasize mine.

This is not a B&R discussion thread. Mentioning SDT as detailing to your account is fine, but going deep into it by running the numbers derails and digresses from the purpose of this tread. This is about the events and altercations occurred specifically during EW, that's the title of this thread.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    This was my first time going to Eternal Weekend and I had a blast. I played against miracles 0 times on Saturday, which I felt very odd.
    I also did quite well for a deck I haven't really played a lot, Mono-red Sneak Attack aka BIG RED (my shirt gave it away at times)
    Out of 23 rounds of Legacy, I only played Miracles once. DnT felt more prevalent to me, though maybe that's cause I wasn't near the top tables .

Nice job on Big Red. Where'd you finish out?

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Out of 23 rounds of Legacy, I only played Miracles once. DnT felt more prevalent to me, though maybe that's cause I wasn't near the top tables .

Nice job on Big Red. Where'd you finish out?
    7-3, good enough for 52nd. 2 of my losses were to people who made top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'd like to elaborate that I'm not accusing him of Slow Play. Just saying he played slowly. I don't think he's intentionally slow playing, just that he's a slow player, playing a slow deck. And it's completely miserable for playing, viewing, and logistical purposes.
    On the contrary; Miller is a Slow Player. There were a lot of flashbacks to another (initially) Slow Player on the SCG Legacy sections.

You know who that guy was? A little fella called Jim Davis. And you know what? He improved, to the point where's he's now a fast Miracles player. The problem card is not, IMO, Top. The problem is bad players with Top. Top should not be a, " : Run the clock down" card. But that's what bad players with the card do. Taking around 10 minutes of a game just to run Top activations is an issue. And normally, I'd put that down to either inexperience ( in which case the courteous thing would be to apologise) or to call a Judge if you suspect Slow Play. Again, accoridng to Card Titan, most of the matches Miller won were 1-0-1 affairs in the timed rounds. That doesn't strike me as a positive.

Something in Miracles finally needs to go. The signs have been there for at least two years. But it's gotten to the point where player attendance is an issue, and the companies aren't supporting the format outside of token competitions. That's not healthy, long-term, for the format. Yes, Miracles is a powerful hard-control deck. But players should not be taking the deck to large-scale timed tournaments if they aren't willing to make the games faster.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

OK, I made good on that promise of a MUD report. Cheers again for the fun weekend, everyone

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    OK, I made good on that promise of a MUD report. Cheers again for the fun weekend, everyone

Thanks dude!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information