Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eternal Weekend: Oct. 27-30 Columbus, OH

Jul 2013
    Texas

Eternal Weekend: Oct. 27-30 Columbus, OH

Jun 2015
    NYC

Re: Eternal Weekend: Oct. 27-30 Columbus, OH

Sucks. Guessing the Pennsylvania Convention Center raised their prices or something. A lot of East Coast people aren't gonna make this.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing Ohio/Midwest Magic folks.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    Sucks. Guessing the Pennsylvania Convention Center raised their prices or something. A lot of East Coast people aren't gonna make this.
    Sounds like a bunch of cry babies who can't be bothered to travel 3 hours.
    Anyways, I'm all booked to attend. Hope the entry fee isn't $50, cuz otherwise I'm not going. /s
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I'm sad that it had to be on a holiday weekend. There was a low percent chance I could have made it this year, but that basically just made low into no.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

I'm a lock. Let's see if I can move up to top 16 for Legacy (or better) and get enough sleep for Vintage. Last year I got shit sleep (splitting a room with someone who snores is a misplay) and ended up dropping from the Vintage main event at 4-2 believing my record was 3-3. Nothing quite like dropping while still live for top 8.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

RIP Reading Terminal Market

Sucks for me because my prices just ballooned to included major travel and hotel, but then for Columbus kids, it's a boon.
    Glad that it's been announced, it was unlikely they were going to be able to announce similar August dates this late, so I knew something was up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

I'll absolutely be there. Columbus isn't any less convenient than Philly was for me.

Also, Oct 27 is my birthday. It's a sign!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I'll absolutely be there. Columbus isn't any less convenient than Philly was for me.

Also, Oct 27 is my birthday. It's a sign!
    I believe that's their' tagline.

Columbus: No less convenient than Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    if brainstorm is banned, legacy will lost his heart

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    I believe that's their' tagline.

Columbus: No less convenient than Philly
    That's just an Ohio thing.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Also nobody's mentioned that they booked this the same day as an Ohio State home game. That's what happens when you put nerds in charge.

I honestly think picking *any* Midwest city over Columbus would've made more sense. Most people who don't live close enough to drive are not going to want to book two trips to Ohio in one year.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Also nobody's mentioned that they booked this the same day as an Ohio State home game. That's what happens when you put nerds in charge.

I honestly think picking *any* Midwest city over Columbus would've made more sense. Most people who don't live close enough to drive are not going to want to book two trips to Ohio in one year.
    It's a known fact that WotC has poor track record in selecting cities for large events. Denver in January, Atlanta in June, Nebraska in late Dec, etc. Any large city is going to have large events going every weekend. Columbus at least has a reasonably close airport, and multitude of hotels adjacent to the convention center. That's already better than most cities I've attended for events.

If Eternal Weekend catered only to New England crowd, then it should just be renamed "East Coast Magic Thingy" and stop presuming it's catering to the global crowd. Play the Game, See the World makes some sense here, as the payout is not directly funded by WotC.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jun 2015
    NYC

Well Wotc didn't make the mistake here. I wonder if space was cheaper that weekend because no sensible convention/event/etc wanted to book space on a football weekend.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well Wotc didn't make the mistake here. I wonder if space was cheaper that weekend because no sensible convention/event/etc wanted to book space on a football weekend.
    And the weekend of Halloween as well.

My choices are:
    Don't go.
    Go and tell my kids they can't go Trick-or-Treating.
    Go and tell my wife "you deal with 6 kids Trick-or-Treating."

I like exactly zero of these options.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    And the weekend of Halloween as well.

My choices are:
    Don't go.
    Go and tell my kids they can't go Trick-or-Treating.
    Go and tell my wife "you deal with 6 kids Trick-or-Treating."

I like exactly zero of these options.
    I have this issue too, but you don't think you can make it back by Monday night?

The timing is awkward for me because I have an entire week of business travel for various conferences right before this, and by the time I get back, I'd only be home for two days before having to get right back on a plane. I'm not even sure I want to do that let alone deal with the wife equity deficit. Might as well hold out for SCG Baltimore the following week, which should be really well attended because the Legacy championship will stir up lots of interest and showcase a lot of decks.

I would definitely go to this if it was almost any other weekend; I've never been to Columbus. I hope that there isn't too much of a dropoff from last year's highs for both formats because of the awkwardness of the timing and location.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I have this issue too, but you don't think you can make it back by Monday night?

The timing is awkward for me because I have an entire week of business travel for various conferences right before this, and by the time I get back, I'd only be home for two days before having to get right back on a plane. I'm not even sure I want to do that let alone deal with the wife equity deficit. Might as well hold out for SCG Baltimore the following week, which should be really well attended because the Legacy championship will stir up lots of interest and showcase a lot of decks.

I would definitely go to this if it was almost any other weekend; I've never been to Columbus. I hope that there isn't too much of a dropoff from last year's highs for both formats because of the awkwardness of the timing and location.
    Well, yeah, I could be back for Monday, but the town here always run's the organized trick-or-treat on the Thursday before (I actually thought it was Saturday, but my wife just corrected me), regardless of when Halloween is. It's not like it was where I grew up in NY, where you just go on actual Halloween day. I have no real understanding of how this came to be here, or why, but my wife tells me it's just always been like this.

Can't really do that and fly out of here Thursday and for me, the whole point of going is to play Vintage, we play Legacy every week, so missing Friday is a no-go.

Timing on Halloween Weekend is a major minus.

Extra day to the event means extra time off which may matter to some people.

For east coasters 5-6+ more hours of driving according to google maps means an extra day off or take the plane which drives the costs up quite a bit. Better for some people closer to Ohio though.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Also nobody's mentioned that they booked this the same day as an Ohio State home game
    At least it's against Northwestern (Chicago), so flights shouldn't be too bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Arianeira View Post
    Extra day to the event means extra time off which may matter to some people.

For east coasters 5-6+ more hours of driving according to google maps means an extra day off or take the plane which drives the costs up quite a bit. Better for some people closer to Ohio though.
    This is what I'm facing right now. As someone from Boston, I could wake up on Saturday, drive down to Philiy with a haphazard and/or minimal crew, and still be fresh enough to jam out nine rounds of whatever format. With Columbus, I have to have a full car, have to take compatible people as opposed to just whoever feels like splitting gas so that I won't accidentally beat them to death with an ice scraper on the twelve hour (one way) trip, have to have accommodations, have to take two extra days off, and have to justify all this.

I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do in terms of hosting an event, and "yaaaay Columbus kids", but this sucks for everyone that doesn't live in the asscrack of America.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    have to take two extra days off
    As a vintage player who's gonna want to be there on Friday, this one really gets me. Extra time in the hotel and extra time off means the cost of the event goes up dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Thread Information