Thread: Rest in Peace, Helm of Obedience, and Wheel of Sun and Moon

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Rest in Peace, Helm of Obedience, and Wheel of Sun and Moon

Scenario 1:

My opponent has a Rest in Peace in play.

I resolve Wheel of Sun and Moon enchanting myself.

What happens when a card tries to go to my graveyard? Does this change if Wheel of Sun and Moon was on the battlefield before Rest in Peace?

Scenario 2:

My opponent has Rest in Peace and I have Wheel of Sun and Moon enchanting myself.

My opponent resolves Helm of Obedience and activates it targeting me.

What happens? Does it change if Wheel of Sun and Moon was on the battlefield before Rest in Peace?

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Re: Rest in Peace, Helm of Obedience, and Wheel of Sun and Moon

In both cases you have two replacement effects trying to affect the same thing: a card wants to go to your graveyard. You get to pick which one to apply [CR616.1-CR616.1e].

Don't get too excited because you will still lose. The game is in a loop as long as you keep putting cards on the bottom, but it isn't an unbounded uncontrolled loop because you have a choice to end the loop [CR716.4] by applying the exile replacement effect instead.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

In the event of multiple replacement effects, the affected player or affected object's controller would make the choice between the applicable effects. This means that, in both scenarios and on a card-by-card basis, you would choose to put the top card of your library into exile or on the bottom of your library.

In the event of infinite loops, you are not required to perform actions that would interrupt the loop (ie: in Worldgorger you wouldn't be required to cast Disenchant), but you are required to make a different choice if possible (ie: exile cards rather than bottom cards).

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Scenario 1:

There's two replacement effects that could be applied. Since it's your card going to the graveyard you decide which one to apply. You can either put it on the bottom of your library or exile it. The order in which RiP and Wheel came into play doesn't matter.

Scenario 2:

Like in the first scenario, you get to decide which replacement effect to apply. However since Helm's stopping condition is never fulfilled as there's never any cards going to the graveyard, it will keep milling you, causing an infinite loop if you continously choose to apply Wheel of Sun and Moon instead of Rest in Peace. The rules however ask you to break that loop by making the choice that eventually breaks the loop. This means that you will always end up with your entire library exiled to Rest in Peace. It doesn't matter in which order the two cards came into play.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Thank you for the helpful responses everyone!

Thread Information