Reanimates - 7
    1 Reanimate
    1 Animate Dead
    1 Dance of the Dead
    1 Exhume
    1 Dread Return
    1 Phyrexian Delver
    1 Life // Death
    Last edited by deakmana; 02-02-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Re: [EDH] The Gitrog Monster

Neat idea. Play lands, draw cards.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm worried there might be almost too much dedication to utility land draw cards and you might want more removal like Rending Vines and some "board wipes" like Damnation, I'd be a little bit worried about flying creatures like Karthus, Angels and Demons because I could see that as a weak area. The rest looks really good... I'd just pack way way more answers, maybe it's just me but I generally have like 10-12 instant removals in my deck... I'm not worried about what someone does to anyone else so I'm not gonna' proactively play Dreadbore/sorcery shit unless necessary, but it's important to almost always have 1-2 responses in your hand. This deck seems pretty vulnerable to gy, I was gonna' suggest Elixir but I see it's there, I guess just pray your opponent's don't play heavy on Leyline or RiP and you'll be fine lol.
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

The dedicated utility land draw cards are mostly to tutor up Dakmor salvage, as Salvage + Discard Engine (putrid imp etc) + Gitrog is usually a win. Mills until it can Dread Return Necrotic Ooze for Ooze/Triskelion/Devourer combo. Or can usually have enough mana to bring Centaur Vinecrasher & Jarad ability him.

I'm not big on spot removal instants just because they aren't proactive enough (in a combo deck), but I tried to include the ones that could deal with gy hate the best. Damnation is a serious consideration for me though as the power level is high enough to warrant inclusion. Pernicious Deed is a possibility too.
    Hmmmm I also like Rending Vines too, tempting.

Things I'm considering removing are:
    Jarad's Orders (Good but a touch slow)
    Massacre Wurm (Currently only board wipe and decent reanimate target)
    Skullwinder
    Legacy: Aggro Loam, Sneak & Show
    EDH: Godo, Bandit Warlord (Duel), The Gitrog Monster
    Legacy WIP: Mono-Green Food Chain, Parfait

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Looking at your list, Tortured Existence is pretty sweet with Dryad Arbor and Golgari Grave-Troll or Stinkweed Imp. Jarad's Orders and Survival of the Fittest find both of the creature halves of this, making it a two card combo with Existence.

My favorite durdley thing to do in Jarad was mess around with Tortured Existence, Krosan Tusker, and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    InfoNinjas

Did some testing and made one change.
    Out -> Necroplasm - His dredge effect was too small to help comboing off, and his actual ability was rarely useful, and too often don't want to drop him due to my own creatures.
    Out -> Traverse the Ulvenwald - Miscounted and had 1 extra card. Takes too long to get 4 card types in grave, which really neuters this card.
    In - > Abrupt Decay - Versatile enough to include. Can deal with a decent amount of gy hate cards.

Confirmed staying
    Massacre Wurm - Without it I often didn't have enough reanimate targets & he can be a decent bomb.
    Jarad's Orders - Too versatile and strong to remove. Very often just get a Terastodon to gy and Phyrexian Delver to hand.

Suspect List
    Skullwinder
    Last edited by deakmana; 06-03-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Quite a few updates.

OUT -> Slippery Karst - Easily was the worst land, immediately replaced with Ash Barrens
    OUT -> Stinkweed Imp - Too redundant with Grave Troll, dredging by itself is not that good
    OUT -> Tortured Existence - Not good enough early game, and too putzy the rest of the game
    OUT -> Skullwinder - Too redundant with witness
    OUT -> Massacre Wurm - This guy doesn't win the game, whereas Baleful Force can.
    OUT -> 1x Swamp - I didn't really want to take this out, but really wanted to make room for another card
    OUT -> Mox Diamond - May come back to this, but never seemed as good as I wanted it to be

IN -> Pernicious Deed - Needed a catch all answer, this is the best
    IN -> Maelstrom Pulse - Just wanted a touch more removal, and this is the only card versatile enough to make the cut
    IN -> Baleful Force - Insanely strong early game reanimate target, effect happens almost right away. Drawing 3 cards a turn is sick
    IN -> Sylvan Library - Can make bad hands good, in.
    IN -> Life//Death - This thing is super cute. 2 mana reanimate is where deck wants to be. minor shinanigans with Life & G. Cradle
    IN -> Spendid Reclamation - Really strong card
    IN -> Ash Barrens - Doesn't come in tapped and cycles for 1.

Possible Additions:
    Mox Diamond (really wishy washy on this)
    Grave Titan

Suspect List:
    none

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I am messing around with Gitrog, a Titan list. You use a card like Skirge Familiar to make infinite mana with Dakmore while dredging into an Eldrazi Titan to loop over and over. The other option is to play a card like Dark Ritual, then draw your deck. Put as many draw triggers as you like on the stack, draw your deck and play Ritual. Then discard the Titan, draw both, play Ritual and repeat.

After you have the mana, pick your win condition of choice. There are a few good articles about this online. The decks is sweet.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I am messing around with Gitrog, a Titan list. You use a card like Skirge Familiar to make infinite mana with Dakmore while dredging into an Eldrazi Titan to loop over and over. The other option is to play a card like Dark Ritual, then draw your deck. Put as many draw triggers as you like on the stack, draw your deck and play Ritual. Then discard the Titan, draw both, play Ritual and repeat.

After you have the mana, pick your win condition of choice. There are a few good articles about this online. The decks is sweet.
    Hey, Dice. I threw this together a couple of days ago. Can you go into detail about what your loop looks like? Also, Eldrazi Titan is not a card. I see the Skirge tech, but is there really no way to do this with fewer cards?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Also, Eldrazi Titan is not a card.
    'Eldrazi Titan' refers to any of the original Emrakul/Kozilek/Ulamog that shuffle your graveyard into your library when you discard them.

If you have Skirge familiar you
    a) Discard Dakmor, adding B
    b) Gitrog trigger, dredge it back
    c) Repeat infinitum, eventually you will mill/discard Ulamog which allows you to keep going forever until you have infinite B

If you have Dark Ritual in your deck it's the same thing but you just keep cycling through your deck and casting Ritual every time you draw it. You don't have to use Skirge Familiar, you can use a cheaper discard like Oblivion Crown or Wild Mongrel.

The four-horsemanesque nature of the combo is why I dislike this deck but if you have a playgroup that is familiar with it and doesn't have a problem with it then I guess it's fine. (I have played against people that just picked up a list online and attempted to figure it out themselves on the spot, v annoying)

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    The four-horsemanesque nature of the combo is why I dislike this deck but if you have a playgroup that is familiar with it and doesn't have a problem with it then I guess it's fine. (I have played against people that just picked up a list online and attempted to figure it out themselves on the spot, v annoying)
    While I agree with you that watching uniformed players pilot this deck is a pain, there is a lot of misinformation regarding this deck. I hope that doesn't stop anyone from playing it because it's an extremely rewarding and fun deck. The only non-deterministic part of the combo is the initial setup which can be explained as such:

1. Discard Dakmor Salvage to The Gitrog Monster
    2. Resolve Gitrog draw by replacing it with the dredge from Dakmor
    3a. If a land is put into the graveyard, put that draw trigger on the stack and return to step 1
    3b. If a shuffle effect is put in the graveyard, resolve shuffle and return to step 1
    3c. If both a land and the shuffle effect are put in the graveyard, put the draw trigger on the stack and then the shuffle trigger
    Resolve the shuffle trigger and return to step 1
    End State: Stack returns to starting state, library empty, deck in hand

If the other players ask you to run through the setup, it doesn't take that long. If they don't have responses and are okay with you shortcutting, this is how to explain it. From this point, you can create a number of deterministic combos.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Baumeister, gitrog does not have a DISCARD effect on the card. If I follow your procedure, I have to somehow get Dakmor Salvage onto the battlefield over and over. I think that I still need a means to discard it, so it is a 3-card combo.

I read someone on reddit or something state that once he draws Dakmor Salvage he felt that he could not lose. This intrigued me, but I have not been able to say the same. I’m still new with the deck, but it feels slightly clunky.

Or am I doing it wrong?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2013

It's a three card combo with Skirge Familiar, Gitrog and Slavage. It's a two card combo if you have 8 cards in hand.

Discard step, Discard Dakmor, trigger, Dredge, if you mill a land trigger draw. Draw. Now your at 9 cards. Discard. Do this until you have a hand that includes Necromancy, Ritual and Skirge. Next discard pitch a land and Skirge. In response to the trigger reanimate Skirge, combo off and kill with Geth's Verdict, looping it with the Titan.

If you don't have a black spare you can build a hand with Elvish Spirit Guide and Crop Rotation to get the black you need to start.

Edit.
    I will post the loops when I get my PC rebuilt. It just shat itself.

https://www.5colorcombo.com/posts/RBi8y7W0VY
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Baumeister, gitrog does not have a DISCARD effect on the card. If I follow your procedure, I have to somehow get Dakmor Salvage onto the battlefield over and over. I think that I still need a means to discard it, so it is a 3-card combo.

I read someone on reddit or something state that once he draws Dakmor Salvage he felt that he could not lose. This intrigued me, but I have not been able to say the same. I’m still new with the deck, but it feels slightly clunky.

Or am I doing it wrong?
    Yes, you need a discard effect. Like Dice_Box mentioned, you can exploit the discard step by having more than 7 cards in hand, discarding to the clean up phase, drawing off Gitrog, and then receiving another clean up step because you once again have more than 7 cards in hand.

The most common discard outlet is Oblivion Crown hence my phrasing to discard to Gitrog - sorry about that.

There are a number of infinite loops once you grab Dakmor Salvage, but this deck is on the extreme end of the competitive spectrum. You should be playing with people who have access to incredibly cheap disruption and who are also trying to win the game. Something as simple as Faerie Macabre can ruin your day if you don't respect it.

If you're truly interested in this deck, check out the cEDH list posted on Tapped Out. I won't link it here (forum etiquette and all that), but you can search Gitrog Dredge Combo by Leptys - it was the first link for me. They do a much better job than I can at explaining not only card choices and options, but the many loops and recovery options available to the deck. The deck can feel quite clumsy to play due to a) not having access to blue; b) the timing of the combos; c) graveyard hate; and d) knowing how to get to a combo from any particular hand. That primer should help.

Mar 2013

Post links. It's fine.

Post links. It's fine.
    Thanks, my dude!

Link: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-land-combo/. Like I said, this is the competitive version of the deck that won Worlds 2017. There is an abundance of information in the primer too which should help with piloting the deck. Leptys is quite active and has done a few interviews/podcasts/etc you can find on the cEDH Reddit subforum can give more insight into how the deck is supposed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    this is the competitive version of the deck that won Worlds 2017.
    lol

Thread Information