Thread: [Video/Podcast] Legacy's Allure - Ep. 11, Deck Identification with Rudy Briksza

[Video/Podcast] Legacy's Allure - Ep. 11, Deck Identification with Rudy Briksza

Being able to quickly identify what your opponent is playing and how you should adjust your deck's game plan is a pivotal skill in Legacy. If you aren't very experienced at this, we have the perfect episode to help you out! Rudy Briksza joins us this week to run through some sample plays. Check it out!

Webcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeS5...ature=youtu.be
    Podcast: http://shoutengine.com/LegacysAllure...-briksza-19563

Also, we've finally (hopefully) figured out how to get the podcast available on iTunes, so look/search the iTunes Store for that in the very near future
    Last edited by Svyelunite; 05-18-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

Re: [Video/Podcast] Legacy's Allure - Ep. 11, Deck Identification with Rudy Briksza

Quote Originally Posted by Svyelunite View Post
    Being able to quickly identify what your opponent is playing and how you should adjust your deck's game plan is a pivotal skill in Legacy. If you aren't very experienced at this, we have the perfect episode to help you out! Rudy Briksza joins us this week to run through some sample plays. Check it out!

Webcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeS5...ature=youtu.be
    Podcast: http://shoutengine.com/LegacysAllure...-briksza-19563

Also, we've finally (hopefully) figured out how to get the podcast available on iTunes, so look/search the iTunes Store for that in the very near future
    Thanks for the legacy content!

Is this going to be a weekly podcast going forward?

Re: [Video/Podcast] Legacy's Allure - Ep. 11, Deck Identification with Rudy Briksza

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    Thanks for the legacy content!

Is this going to be a weekly podcast going forward?
    I'm going to try and keep it weekly. There will obviously be times where I get too busy and can't get an episode out in time, or possibly down the line I'll move it to bi-weekly if it gets overwhelming. But otherwise I'll do my best to keep churning out episodes if you all like them

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

The DRS hand would've been more interesting with Misty=>Bayou=>DRS. That can actually be a tricky one.

What's the rationale for Goyf vs. Elves? Goyfs feel like food, not something scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

I'm a huge fan of this series, and loved every one of the other episodes. I'm going to be critical of this one, however, not in the hopes of this style of episode going away but in the hopes of them becoming awesome.

This episode consisted in a rambling series of claims that were, at best, platitudes; at worst, inaccuracies. I'll give examples of both.

Platitude: the best cards for Shardless to have against Burn are Deathrite Shaman, Hymn to Tourach, and Goyf. I doubt that this constitutes an insight for most listeners because it is obvious to anyone who has played the matchup at all.

Inaccuracy: Elves is a tricky matchup for Miracles. Both Julian and Joe Lossett have been on this show. Both of them contradict this statement, the one in an elegantly emphatic manner and the other in a diplomatically dispassionate one. Yet in this episode, the claim was allowed to pass without the slightest challenge as we moved as quickly as possible to the idea that Death and Taxes was disadvantaged against Elves: a proposal not worthy of either the rushing nor the time spent explaining it.

It became clear to me, at this point, that the episode is 85 minutes of discussing random matchups in a way that wouldn't involve either participant being critical of the other's comments. I had expected something else: a more focused discussion of the occasionally rather tricky question of actually identifying an opponent's deck based on the influence of more difficult factors.

For instance, a hesitant mulligan to 6, snap keep, Misty Rainforest, pass; or a reminder that Island + Top could actually be ANT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    I'm a huge fan of this series, and loved every one of the other episodes. I'm going to be critical of this one, however, not in the hopes of this style of episode going away but in the hopes of them becoming awesome.

This episode consisted in a rambling series of claims that were, at best, platitudes; at worst, inaccuracies. I'll give examples of both.

Platitude: the best cards for Shardless to have against Burn are Deathrite Shaman, Hymn to Tourach, and Goyf. I doubt that this constitutes an insight for most listeners because it is obvious to anyone who has played the matchup at all.

Inaccuracy: Elves is a tricky matchup for Miracles. Both Julian and Joe Lossett have been on this show. Both of them contradict this statement, the one in an elegantly emphatic manner and the other in a diplomatically dispassionate one. Yet in this episode, the claim was allowed to pass without the slightest challenge as we moved as quickly as possible to the idea that Death and Taxes was disadvantaged against Elves: a proposal not worthy of either the rushing nor the time spent explaining it.

It became clear to me, at this point, that the episode is 85 minutes of discussing random matchups in a way that wouldn't involve either participant being critical of the other's comments. I had expected something else: a more focused discussion of the occasionally rather tricky question of actually identifying an opponent's deck based on the influence of more difficult factors.

For instance, a hesitant mulligan to 6, snap keep, Misty Rainforest, pass; or a reminder that Island + Top could actually be ANT.
    Many good comments here. I definitely wasn't sure how this episode would turn out because we haven't had a chance to try a different format for the episodes yet. I'll do my best to keep improving the quality of the content we have. For starters, we definitely won't have as many example scenarios. I felt rushed to keep the episode under an hour and a half as it was and I don't want to skimp on any beneficial information.

Please bear with as I continue to learn my way through webcasting/podcasting. I want to make this what you all want it to be

As always, thanks for listening and providing input.

Thread Information