Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 5/3

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

[Deck] 5/3

So, I just scrubbed out of the Duel for Duals with possibly the most fun deck I've ever played in my life. It literally was just a blast to play, and a blast to watch as well. I doubt it is very fun to play against though. I obviously took it into the tournament with an amazing Goblins and Gro match-up, then didn't play them the first 3 rounds, and lost. :/

Well, here it is:

// Lands
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [DS] Darksteel Citadel
    4 [MM] Rishadan Port
    4 [6E] Crystal Vein

// Creatures
    4 [U] Juggernaut
    4 [AQ] Su-Chi
    4 [AL] Phyrexian War Beast (2)
    3 [DS] Arcbound Ravager

// Spells
    4 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 [DS] Trinisphere
    2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    3 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 Sphere of Resistance
    SB: 3 [CHK] Uba Mask
    SB: 4 [R] Winter Orb
    SB: 4 [UL] Defense Grid

In testing the deck had an incredible 7-3 matchup against Goblins, and I don't remember losing to Gro. It just stomped face.

The only problem is the fact that the entire strategy of the deck is built around going first. If you are on the draw, your draws are significantly worse.

There was quite a fair bit of Deadguy there, and that is apparently a bad matchup. This will probably be the first time Deadguy actually does well, hopefully not though.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Evil Roopey; 02-06-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Re: [Deck] 5/3

That deck looks friggin fun to play. Why no Tangle Wires? You also have 8 Chalices. 4 Maindecked, and 4 SBed. I guess you can replace the ones in the SB with I dunno, Tangle Wires.

Arcbound Ravager, that card seems very out of place in here.

I'm gonna try this deck out on MWS.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

How are the Ravagers in the deck? They seem a bit out of place. Chimeric Idol is a possibility, but has no synergy with Rishadan Port. Myr Enforcer also might be a possibility, have you tried him? Really bad initial play, but after a Mox Diamond, Chalice, and creature, he's basically a Su-Chi. Late game he's even better.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Can you get us a tourny report of some kind? What exacty did you play against and lose to? I've been playing stax and I like the way this deck is aggro stax. Im definitly gonna give it a go. Kinda nervous about shattering spree tho. You'll definitly need to sideboard Hanna's Custody.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

I like the overall look of the deck... very simple and straightforward. I agree that the Ravagers look a bit out of place, but I assume there's a reason you chose them over, say, Triskelion.

Also, it seems like your manabase is a bit shaky, even with 24 sources. The fact that Mox costs you lands, and Cities/Veins have a tendency to ggo away pretty quickly, it seems like you're pretty heavily reliant on Crucible to have a stable basse in the lategame. Am I wrong about this?

Why not Masticore in the Ravager Spot? Masticore is an absolute beating against anything with creatures in it, and against pretty much anything in general.
    KIDS WITH GUNS!

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred
    Why not Masticore in the Ravager Spot? Masticore is an absolute beating against anything with creatures in it, and against pretty much anything in general.
    While I agree that the ravager is way out of place in this deck, I don't know if this deck could support the discard AND mana investment. I personally would test out Synod Centurion from Fifth Dawn. I think it is safe to say that you have enough artifacts.

Back when the format switched to what it is now I know that Lunchbox, Jander, myself, and even Peter Rotten all dabbled in what Rotten likes to refer as "Big Brown Beatin!" Some ran red for welder/bolts/jets/shrapnel blasts while others went blue for TFK and the like.

Some other cards that were played that I don't see here that you might want to try and test.

Synod Centurion: Like I said before I like this guy in this deck. Another 4/4 beater is goods.

Lightning Greaves: Hasty big beats are the tits but this also becomes a liability with so much other equipment in the deck. I personally loved its ability to protect Su-Chi's from most removal in the format and not having it be a 4 point bolt for the opponent.

Tangle Wire: I would most definitly try to get this in the deck. I have much love for the card especially with big beats and ports/wastes.

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Quote Originally Posted by Afro
    Synod Centurion: Like I said before I like this guy in this deck. Another 4/4 beater is goods.
    I couldn't find any. StarCity didn't have any, and no one had any with them for trade. The list I ran definatly needs tweaking and is far from optimal.

To defend running Ravager, I wanted a 2-drop and he happened to be the best one in the game. We couldn't find anything better for a mono-brown.

Also, this deck was built on sight the day before the tournament. It went through some, but not a lot, of testing on before I purely decided to play it because it was rediculously fun. I will be working on an optimal list sometime this week, and see what I can do with it.

Roop

To be fair, the deck really really wants a creature at a low mana cost, and Ravager happens to be an absolute beating. I saw this deck chuck away land after land (and incidentally, I'd go up to about 26+ lands). I think the deck can afford a splash, and I'd really consider one.

Options:
    Red for Pyroclasm versus Goblins
    Blue for Brainstorm, Thoughtcast
    Green for Exploration
    White for Suppression Field (probably not an option)
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

ahh... I think Ravagers are there to make Mana with Su Chi.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Roopey sad to know you didnt take Nausea.

I've been running this deck and I have to say it needs trample.. How the hell can you give your men trample tho? I dont like Synod Centurion. Id rather play Phyrexian Processor. As long as you board it out game 2 you dont have to worry about artifact hate hitting it.

Have you thought about Hanna's Custody? This card is so good in your deck you could maybe maindeck it. It isnt good with equipment but it's amazing since it makes all your men and lock pieces untouchable.

Speaking of equipment. Did you consider Cranial Plating? You don't run many artifact lands but if you did, nasty nasty.
    Last edited by Bane of the Living; 02-08-2006 at 12:53 PM.

wow omg soooo much fun but why are you running lockpeices be more agresive as all this deck does is turn 1-2 fat win. masticore should be goooood as if turn 1-2 mtcor is great it discards bad stuff and keeps the board free of creatures like a wee bear
    mabe
    -Steel Golem ( cool)
    -Complex Automaton (fat HAHAHA #7)
    -Extruder (duno bad ravenger)
    -Grid Monitor (faty)
    -Thran War Machine ( bad juggy)
    -Synod Centurion (fat)
    this deck plays a fast creature folows with another or a equipment and win not control the board for a long game

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Gruul War Plow gives your dudes trample, but to really be effective you'd need to splash two colors, which sucks.

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Quote Originally Posted by subway-guy
    wow omg soooo much fun but why are you running lockpeices be more agresive as all this deck does is turn 1-2 fat win. masticore should be goooood as if turn 1-2 mtcor is great it discards bad stuff and keeps the board free of creatures like a wee bear
    mabe
    -Steel Golem ( cool)
    -Complex Automaton (fat HAHAHA #7)
    -Extruder (duno bad ravenger)
    -Grid Monitor (faty)
    -Thran War Machine ( bad juggy)
    -Synod Centurion (fat)
    this deck plays a fast creature folows with another or a equipment and win not control the board for a long game
    The lock pieces are meant for the early game. Being able to Chalice for 1 stopping a lot of the removal or 3sphere just to stop them, really compliments the gameplan of the deck.

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

I come bearing tourney reports!

Before I begin though, I think I should give my decklist, which is a little different then the original posted:

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    4 Archeoligical Dig
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Crystal Vein

4 Synod Centurion
    4 Frogmite
    4 Juggernaut
    3 Phyrexian War Beast

4 Helm of Awakening
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Jitte
    3 SOFI

SB:
    4 Hanna's Custody
    4 StP
    4 Defense Grid
    3 Disenchant

Now this was only an 8 person tourney and was single elim.

Round 1: B/W Deadguy
    2-1
    Game 1: I open the game with Ancient Tomb, Diamond, Helm, Frog. Then i rip a SOFI and play a city, equip and ride the frog to victory.
    Game 2: I drop a Helm and a jitte and say go. He drops 2 Confidants. I continue to not have creatures while his dudes rip me down.
    Game 3: I start with a delicous 1st turn juggernaut, followed by a topdeck of another juggernaut. Then i drop SOFI and equip and my opponent folds.

Round 2: Solidarity
    2-1
    Game 1: I mulligan down to 3 and he combo's off 4th turn
    Game 2: I drop 1st turn Defense grid, then 2nd Turn juggernaut. I then drop 3rd turn Defense Grid again and ride the juggy to the W.
    Game 3: I actually opened this hand:
    Ancient Den
    Hanna's Custody
    Ancient Tomb
    Defense Grid
    Defense Grid
    Mox Diamond
    City of Traitors

Needless to say, I won because my opponent scooped.

Finals: U/G/R thresh
    2-0

Game 1: I go first and drop 1st turn juggy. Then I play SOFI and equip. He blocks with his wearbear, then he drops 2 mongeese. I topdeck a jitte and went to town on this man. After he blocks with both geese, i swing in for a bone-crushing 13 and my opponent packs up.

Game 2: He got really mana screwed and mulled to 4. I dropped a 1st turn Sphere, then 2nd turn Centurion. I get to smash him a couple times before he gets a dragon down. I topdeck Jitte and equip and swing, he chooses not to block, so in response to him getting threshold, i remove the 2 counters and eat his dragon. He tapped out and I swung in for game point.

Overall, this deck is rediculously fun to play and if nobody packs hate, your looking at a pretty consistent win ratio. The white splash was nice, but I didnt get to see a lot of artifact hate against me, so the custodies werent amazing. Im planning on playing this deck at our weekly tourney on sunday and ill have those results then
    Team Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    |^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    |.The STFU Truck..|||'""|""\__,_
    | __GTFO 4ever_w_ l||__|__|__|)
    |(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by SillyMetalGAT
    I come bearing tourney reports!

Before I begin though, I think I should give my decklist, which is a little different then the original posted:

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    4 Archeoligical Dig
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Crystal Vein

4 Synod Centurion
    4 Frogmite
    4 Juggernaut
    3 Phyrexian War Beast

4 Helm of Awakening
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Jitte
    3 SOFI

SB:
    4 Hanna's Custody
    4 StP
    4 Defense Grid
    3 Disenchant
    Nice list! I have a couple observations -

1) Why use Archeoligical Dig? From what I see it makes no sense with the list that you are running to play this card over, say, a plains. Is the reason for this for a wider possible sideboard? If not then why not just run Darksteel Citadel like Roopey which combos well with Centurion.

2) STP possibly main? Just curious as to why you kept this out of the maindeck. Your list looks pretty tight which I suspect is what caused it.

3) Creature count compared to Equipment count. In testing have you found that you are often sitting with one or more equipment on the table/in hand and have no critters? Just curious.

4) Lack of Su-Chi. Like this call. Too much removal and often in my experience I have found that a 4 point bolt + damage taken from your tombs often spells a game loss.

Please keep me updated with your progress with the deck! This is my kind of deck right here.

Jul 2005
    Catalonia, Europe

are helms good enough to run them?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

You're opponent scooped to an opening hand with no win condition in it? I have to figure that he was simply upset about the remarkable luck of two Defense Grids in your opening hand twice in a row. Did you remind him that he has Turnabout in the deck after the match? Seeing as how you were not going to be actually doing damage to him for a while, he would have had plenty of time.

@Roop: Why Phyrexian War Beast instead of Cathodion?

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    You're opponent scooped to an opening hand with no win condition in it? I have to figure that he was simply upset about the remarkable luck of two Defense Grids in your opening hand twice in a row. Did you remind him that he has Turnabout in the deck after the match? Seeing as how you were not going to be actually doing damage to him for a while, he would have had plenty of time.

@Roop: Why Phyrexian War Beast instead of Cathodion?

For the same reason it was run over Cathodian back in the day, Bolt.

At SMG's list, why Frog? He seems poor. The lack of Chalice scares the hell out of me, and only 3 3Spheres seems poor since you want to play it on turn 1...? Helm also seems like a poor choice. Just all around, I'm not sure if I like the list. Can we get a more indepth explanaition for these cards?

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

I agree. Frog doesn't seem as good as Ravager first off. Especially with only 4 artifact lands. You could be paying 3 for him alot. He's also not a game winner without equipment, where as Ravager can actually gro throughout the game, so that if you opponent doesnt deal with him theyll eventually be forced to. He also has modular. Making dead SoFI and he +2/+2 to a Juggy. The ability to sac your Su Chi to Rav on your main phase isnt amazingly important but its still there.

Trinisphere is almost something I want to play 4 of in this deck, same with Angel Stax. Turn 1 Sphere wins so many games it's not even funny. Also Chalice for 1 wins games by itself, and also nullifies alot of removal your men would otherwise be seeing. My list is close to Roopys.

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Ancient Den

4 Juggernaut
    4 Su-Chi
    4 Phyrexian War Beast
    3 Arcbound Ravager

3 Hanna's Custody
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Smokestack
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void

// Sideboard
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Uba Mask
    4 Winter Orb
    4 Defense Grid

The list looks more like an aggro stax deck. I really feel the inclusion of Hanna's Custody maindeck really helps you. The equipment was nice but often overkill. Or drawing things like 1 man 2 equipment happened alot. And my Su Chi would bite the dust thanks to a swords. When all your fatties are untargetable thats pretty scary. It helps Chalice stay in play which is pretty important. Custody is bad with Ravager but thats it. I'm still going to try the version with equipment but I really felt like this deck was dying for a few Smokestack. It already has half the lock pieces.

Thread Information