Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono Blue Trix Painter

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Mono Blue Trix Painter

Kinda going old school with this one but what does everyone think? This is an extremely fun deck that will keep your opponent on their toes. With two very powerful, versatile combos at your fingertips there is a lot here to work with. If your opponent tries to break the mill strategy with a pithing needle or an Emrakul, just go with the Trix. If not Mill away with the painter and grindstone. The mono blue control will take care of the rest hopefully!.

Looking for any and all feedback would be most helpful! Thanks

4 Donate
    2 Counterspell
    4 Illusions of Grandeur
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Energy Field
    19 Island
    2 Ponder
    3 Sapphire Medallion
    1 Daze
    4 Grindstone
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Force of Will
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Maze of Ith

//Sideboard
    SB: 3 Hydroblast
    SB: 3 Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 3 Fabricate
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Back to Basics
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Re: Mono Blue Trix Painter

Am I missing something. Why all the islands? Wouldn't some fetches make Brainstorm and Top much better?

Enjoy!

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Am I missing something. Why all the islands? Wouldn't some fetches make Brainstorm and Top much better?

Enjoy!
    Yeah you are right, totally spaced out fetches would do the job actually. Thanks for that Scott.

Nov 2006
    London

I would also play at least 2 Ancient Tomb and 1 City of Traitors to accelerate the combo. 4 FoW is a must. Some Intuitions to find whatever you need wouldn't hurt either.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    I would also play at least 2 Ancient Tomb and 1 City of Traitors to accelerate the combo. 4 FoW is a must. Some Intuitions to find whatever you need wouldn't hurt either.
    Great thanks for the suggestions guys. I've thrown in 4 Ancient Tombs and have noticed a positive impact in the few times I've been able to play test it this weekend. I don't have any City of Traitors but i'll look into upgrading. Intuition is a great card, I just don't know what I should take out of the main deck to exchange them with. Thanks for the help thus far, should I just go all out and play more than the four fetches? I understand how they can help with Top but is it really necessary to have a lot in a mono deck? Why pay one life to search for an island when you could just play one? I am all ears if anyone has any fetch strategy pointers.

Here is the new iteration: (Minus the Intuitions which I haven't put in yet):

4 Donate
    2 Counterspell
    4 Illusions of Grandeur
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Energy Field
    11 Island
    2 Ponder
    2 Sapphire Medallion
    1 Daze
    4 Grindstone
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Force of Will
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Polluted Delta

//Sideboard

I don't like diluting a blue combo deck with Illusions and Donate. The problem is that they're both completely dead cards on their own.

If you want to go "2-Card Monte" style and have two instant win conditions, Painter+Grindstone and another one here are some better options:

Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage (cheaper than Illusion/Donate, involves a 2/2 body for alt win, interacts with Grindstone, but requires Black)
    Helm of Obedience + Leyline of the Void / Rest in Peace (splash damage against dredge, Helm isn't dead on it's own against decks like Reanimator, but requires white or black)
    Dreadnought + Stifle (classic!)
    Mind Over Matter + Temple Bell (arguably better than Illusions/Donate, though it does require you to have some reshuffle effect)
    Laboratory Maniac + Thought Lash (Mainac kind of works with Grindstone - heck, you can combo yourself if you want to avoid Emrakul or Gaea's Blessing. Thought Lash helps hold down the fort against aggro till you win)

Some number of Misdirection in the 75 would help against pesky Abrupt Decays.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I don't like diluting a blue combo deck with Illusions and Donate. The problem is that they're both completely dead cards on their own.

If you want to go "2-Card Monte" style and have two instant win conditions, Painter+Grindstone and another one here are some better options:

Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage (cheaper than Illusion/Donate, involves a 2/2 body for alt win, interacts with Grindstone, but requires Black)
    Helm of Obedience + Leyline of the Void / Rest in Peace (splash damage against dredge, Helm isn't dead on it's own against decks like Reanimator, but requires white or black)
    Mind Over Matter + Temple Bell (arguably better than Illusions/Donate, though it does require you to have some reshuffle effect)
    Laboratory Maniac + Thought Lash (Mainac kind of works with Grindstone - heck, you can combo yourself if you want to avoid Emrakul or Gaea's Blessing. Thought Lash helps hold down the fort against aggro till you win)

Whoa, thanks for all the tips. You make some real valid points about having dead cards. Thank you for taking the time to share some "2-card-monte" gems. I really enjoy reading about them. You rock. The Dreadnought + Stifle hits so hard haha. I like the Mindcrank combo just don't know if I'm ready to incorporate black yet, but I like it. One of the things I really like about the 2 card monte style is that in theory at least in a 2-3 game tournament round setup, even if you hit with one combo and your opponent tries to sideboard you can hit them with the other method game two.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    Some number of Misdirection in the 75 would help against pesky Abrupt Decays.
    Word. Good to keep in mind, I'm always open to new ideas for sideboarding. Thanks

The idea has been discussed before. Also using stuff like Pucca's Mischief.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...1-Deck-Trixorz

Considering that instant speed removal like Pyroblast makes Illusions into a game loss, it's pretty risky to run in a competitive setting.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Fetchlands are a liability with energy field. even if you don't crack them they can be targeted by wasteland

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post

These are all great suggestions, but Illusions does give you 20 extra life, so that can prolong the game if needed for you to complete the combo. I wouldn't call that a dead card. I think OP will enjoy tinkering with these different builds.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    These are all great suggestions, but Illusions does give you 20 extra life, so that can prolong the game if needed for you to complete the combo. I wouldn't call that a dead card. I think OP will enjoy tinkering with these different builds.
    That is a very good point. 20 life can be huge. I notice you are based in Seattle, do you ever play legacy on a causal basis? I might be keen to meet up with some other legacy players I'm just getting back into the game after a really long hiatus and am new to the Seattle mtg scene. I guess I could just "hey mister" over at MOX...

As for the deck I have enjoyed continuing to tinker with it :)

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The idea has been discussed before. Also using stuff like Pucca's Mischief.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...1-Deck-Trixorz

Considering that instant speed removal like Pyroblast makes Illusions into a game loss, it's pretty risky to run in a competitive setting.
    True ATM I am leaning on replacing the Illusions/donate combo with the Dreadnought/Stifle.. The mana cost is reduced, and with that I can replace the 2x sapphire medallions with 2x trinket mages, which I can use to search for either a grindstone or a dreadnought.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    True ATM I am leaning on replacing the Illusions/donate combo with the Dreadnought/Stifle.. The mana cost is reduced, and with that I can replace the 2x sapphire medallions with 2x trinket mages, which I can use to search for either a grindstone or a dreadnought.
    I guess then technically if I replace the Illusions/Donate it won't be a "trix" deck, but I am committed to designing a mono blue painter, 2 card monte style preferably. Here is my current design:

2 Counterspell
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Energy Field -- (Has been helpful but prevents you from cracking fetches: I'm only running 4 currently -open to any suggestions)
    11 Island
    2 Ponder
    1 Daze -- (Like the one of just to keep the opponent on guard if they know it is in the deck)
    4 Grindstone
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Force of Will
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Stifle
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Trinket Mage

//Sideboard
    SB: 1 XXXXXXXXX

I guess then technically if I replace the Illusions/Donate it won't be a "trix" deck, but I am committed to designing a mono blue painter, 2 card monte style preferably. Here is my current design:

2 Counterspell
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Energy Field -- (Has been helpful but prevents you from cracking fetches: I'm only running 4 currently -open to any suggestions)
    11 Island
    2 Ponder
    1 Daze -- (Like the one of just to keep the opponent on guard if they know it is in the deck)
    4 Grindstone
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Force of Will
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Stifle
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Trinket Mage

//Sideboard
    SB: 1 XXXXXXXXX

Energy field can be cut. I am not sure that I would play 4 dreadnought's either with trinket mage. Too many things kill dreadnought for it to be your main plan. If you are going to play 4, I would try Cloudform.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

That is a very good point. 20 life can be huge. I notice you are based in Seattle, do you ever play legacy on a causal basis? I might be keen to meet up with some other legacy players I'm just getting back into the game after a really long hiatus and am new to the Seattle mtg scene. I guess I could just "hey mister" over at MOX...

As for the deck I have enjoyed continuing to tinker with it :)
    I don't have a lot of free time, so usually my Magic time goes toward tournaments. But, yeah, if you're in Seattle, you definitely should check out Card Kingdom in Ballard on Mondays (6:30 p.m.) and Mox Boarding House in Bellevue on Thursdays (7 p.m.) for weekly Legacy. There's also a Legacy 1K being held at Mox Boarding House this Saturday at noon. I encourage you to come out and get a feel for these places. There are also casual gaming groups if you find out you aren't digging the competitive scene (this group is one that appears to still be going strong: http://www.meetup.com/mtg-15/). Ultimately, there's no better way to tune a deck than to take it into battle and find out what works and what doesn't.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I don't have a lot of free time, so usually my Magic time goes toward tournaments. But, yeah, if you're in Seattle, you definitely should check out Card Kingdom in Ballard on Mondays (6:30 p.m.) and Mox Boarding House in Bellevue on Thursdays (7 p.m.) for weekly Legacy. There's also a Legacy 1K being held at Mox Boarding House this Saturday at noon. I encourage you to come out and get a feel for these places. There are also casual gaming groups if you find out you aren't digging the competitive scene (this group is one that appears to still be going strong: http://www.meetup.com/mtg-15/). Ultimately, there's no better way to tune a deck than to take it into battle and find out what works and what doesn't.
    Very good to know! Thanks for all the advice I'll have to check it all out!

2 Muddle the mixture
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 brainstorm
    8 Island
    4 Ponder
    3 Daze
    4 Grindstone
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Force of Will
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 back to basics
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 city of traitors
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Trinket Mage
    2 hydroblast

//Sideboard
    SB: 3 misdirection
    SB: 3 ensnaring bridge
    SB: 1 Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 hydroblast
    SB: 1 tormods crypt
    I edited the list to something close to what i used to play when i tried mono blue painter. Finding some space for intuitions or jace tms would be nice. More fetches and removal/bounces could help also.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Nouille View Post
    I edited the list to something close to what i used to play when i tried mono blue painter. Finding some space for intuitions or jace tms would be nice. More fetches and removal/bounces could help also.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll continue to tinker with different builds. How do you fight against Emrakul, Progenitus, or any other cards (and you know there will be more in the future) that break the Painterstone mill combo by being reshuffled into the deck?

Call me crazy but I feel like having at least two different win conditions really strengthens the versatility of the deck. At least incorporating the Dreadnought/Stifle combo gives you access to Stife, which could be used against Emrakul being put back in the deck, but you are still screwed if they have more copies. Maybe I should try putting in 4x Laboratory Maniac's and mill myself?

Thread Information