Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Podcast] "Humans of Magic" -- interviews with players about life & Magic.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Re: [Podcast] "Humans of Magic" -- interviews with players about life & Magic.

Terrific listen. I was excited for this one, as Gerry is one of the only pro level Magic players that I don't know, but have a great deal of respect for. Completely disregarding his MtG accomplishments.

I was amazed at the total parallels regarding how frustrated he and I get at how friends judge happiness by their record. At the same time, Gerry's perspective made me realize something that should have been obvious. I'm "happy" when I win tournaments, and "upset" when I lose. But that's just a thought process. I don't have any emotional investment either way. Don't truly care. What determines how I actually feel about a Magic event is the interactions with friends and acquaintances. Usually magnified by the cloistered environment of the tournaments, and the new settings that travel to them often brings.

Last, and most importantly, it is wrong to be Calosso. So Gerry, you never need any excuse to avoid contact with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Terrific listen. I was excited for this one, as Gerry is one of the only pro level Magic players that I don't know, but have a great deal of respect for. Completely disregarding his MtG accomplishments.

I was amazed at the total parallels regarding how frustrated he and I get at how friends judge happiness by their record. At the same time, Gerry's perspective made me realize something that should have been obvious. I'm "happy" when I win tournaments, and "upset" when I lose. But that's just a thought process. I don't have any emotional investment either way. Don't truly care. What determines how I actually feel about a Magic event is the interactions with friends and acquaintances. Usually magnified by the cloistered environment of the tournaments, and the new settings that travel to them often brings.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the listen. I also had similar thoughts about what you said in our interview, when I interviewed Gerry.

I must say that Gerry was a great guest. Just all-around great guy, I can say nothing negative about him. He exemplifies what it means to be a true pro.

Last, and most importantly, it is wrong to be Calosso. So Gerry, you never need any excuse to avoid contact with him.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

We've got a hardcore sourcer this week: Matt "sdematt" Pavlic. Host of Everyday Eternal, lover of the Siege Rhino, and pimp extraodinaire. Also...power to Porsche.

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic...22-matt-pavlic

“And then I decided that’s how I want to conduct myself…and it’s worked out very well for me.”

Matt Pavlic is one of my best friends. He also happens to be the person that led me down the path of competitive Magic. I’ve had almost a decade of amazing gaming memories, in no small part due to Matt’s influence. I could not be where I am today were it not for his steady friendship and support.

Most notably, Matt’s matured a ton over the years. In this conversation, he talks about growing up fast and getting a new outlook on life. He’s worked hard for everything that he has, and as a result, he has a bright future ahead of him. I am truly honored to have my friend on “Humans of Magic” to share his perspective.
    Last edited by Plague Sliver; 11-06-2016 at 01:06 AM.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

This week...the man, the legend. Mr. Roland Chang.

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic...3-roland-chang

Roland Chang is the only player to have won both the “Magic: The Gathering” Vintage and Legacy format World Championships. He is a mainstay on the East Coast Eternal Magic scene. What you may not know about Roland, however, is that he was close to leaving the game for good. A seriously unfortunate event almost led him down that path, but the power of the community brought him back. Like all of us, he has had his share of adversity and comebacks.

In this 1:1 interview, Roland opens up about his childhood and handling the weight of familial expectations. He talks about his involvement in social activities, seeking life balance, and finding a significant other. Join us for a glimpse inside one of the game’s fiercest competitors.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

This week...Wilson Hunter of "The Brainstorm Show"!

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic...-wilson-hunter

Wilson is a co-host of the amazing “The Brainstorm Show” podcast, a father, and an intense competitor. Or to use his words — ultra-competitive! We talk about parenthood, the origins of his competitive drive, and growing up with Magic friends that inspire each other to perform better everyday. Wilson also self-reflects on taking losses hard, working with the community to improve his game, and the guilt that he feels in having a hobby like Magic.

It gets deeply personal in places, and that’s where the learning happens. I’m grateful to know a great competitor and human being like Wilson, and hope that you’ll enjoy the listen.

P.S. HOT DAMN! That's podcast guest #20! Time flies when you're having fun...

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Question time: if I transcribed all of the existing interviews with my 20 guests, and released it as a book in text format, would you buy it?

"Humans of Magic: Year One" -- featuring Gerry Thompson, Mike Turian, PV, Ben Friedman, Jarvis Yu, Julian Knab, and a whole lot more.

It would be a lot faster to absorb and/or reference in book format. I could also throw in some bonus content and summarized learnings from each player.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

We are back with the first 2017 episode of “Humans of Magic”! Our first guest of the year is Kai Sawatari.

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic...5-kai-sawatari

Kai is half-German, half-Japanese, all amazing. He’s a serious Legacy player with 4th and 17th place finishes at Grand Prix events.

This podcast was hilarious. We talk about:
    - How Kai’s father would let him win at games!
    - Getting destroyed by a Goblin Charbelcher deck when he was 12 years old!
    - Irrational confidence!
    - Bromance!
    - Japanese culture and the crazy smiley guy!
    - The biggest mistake Kai ever made as a competitive player! (spoiler: it involves sleeving up Terminus)

Too many exclamation marks, for sure. Hope you enjoy the listen!

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks James, looking forward to this.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Alright, I've decided that I'm going to:

1. Bring the show back
    2. Release a text-transcribed version of the most popular podcast episodes (Gerry T, PV, Jarvis Yu, etc.) and release it in mini-book format

Stay tuned! And if there is a player in particular you'd like me to interview, please let me know.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

This week...Christian Calcano is on the 'cast.

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic/christian-calcano

Christian Calcano is a Gold Level Pro and well-known Magic grinder. If you know Legacy, you may know that he finished 2nd in GP Seattle back in 2015. We go deep into his childhood, leveling up, meeting Brian David-Marshall, and much more.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Will Jonathan joins "Humans of Magic":

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic/027-will-jonathan

Will Jonathan is a sports psychologist. mental performance coach, and Channel Fireball contributor. The first piece I read from Will was "The Best Way to Win." In this conversation, Will gives me advice on how to improve my mental game. According to him, it is all about focusing on process instead of results. And guess what -- it worked! Right after talking to Will, I Top 4’d a big Magic tournament during the same week! How’s that for some practical advice?

Great listen - excellent work!

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

I recently recorded a podcast with one of the coolest people around -- Tifa Robles. Tifa wears many hats. She is the founder of the Lady Planeswalker Society, a gamer, and a mother.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic/tifa-robles

We talk about:
    (1) Her day job in gaming and how she brings the passion to gamers on a national level.
    (2) Her principles for building inclusive gaming cultures, and the trials and tribulations of starting LPS.
    (3) What it is REALLY like to be a mother — and how it has given Tifa greater happiness and joy.

She was an amazing interview. I learned a ton, and hope that you'll give it a listen!

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Announcing "Humans of Magic: Year One"...the book of interviews with really cool people!

In 2016, I started an interview podcast called “Humans of Magic.” The podcast focuses on deep 1:1 discussions with Magic players and personalities. The goal is to give them a forum to express the things that they care deeply about, that you may not know from their regularly produced strategy content.

For example:
    • How did Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa grow up playing Magic in Brazil?
    • What makes it difficult for Gerry Thompson to stay in touch with friends?
    • Why is Christian Calcano pursuing a career outside of Magic?
    • What did Bob Huang learn about life, after traveling around the world?

Through these conversations, I want to give you insight as to WHO these people are — and not just what they do when they sit down to play Magic.

Podcasting is a great way to get my guests to open up, but it is not easy to listen to hours upon hours of content. This is why I have decided to transcribe these talks from AUDIO to TEXT so that you can fully enjoy the fruits of our labor. I am launching the Humans of Magic: Year One book anthology in Q4 2017. It will contain a collection of the best interviews.

Whether you are trying to become a better player, or just interested in knowing more about the biggest names in Magic, there is something in here for everyone. I promise that these will be the most in-depth interviews with Magic players that you will ever read.

And we are going to have some amazing Legacy representation. Here is a preliminary list of featured players:
    • Jarvis Yu
    • Caleb Durward
    • PVDDR
    • Gerry Thompson
    • Bob Huang
    • Julian Knab
    • Bryant Cook
    • Thomas Enevoldsen
    • Michael Bonde
    • Wilson Hunter
    • Roland Chang
    • ...and more

Here is more information about how you can get on the mailing list to get bonus content about the book. I also have a sneak preview of one of my earliest interviews - with Jarvis Yu:

https://writtenbyjames.com/2017/08/05/jarvis-yu-part-1/

That's it for now -- I hope you will be interested in supporting the interview series!

Best,
    James

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Jarvis Yu interview, Part 2:

https://writtenbyjames.com/2017/08/09/jarvis-yu-part-2/

Jarvis gives a play-by-play of his GP SeaTac win with Lands, ruminates on the future of Organized Play, and provides tips on how to get better at Magic!

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Gerry Thompson interview -- the chat transcript:

https://writtenbyjames.com/2017/08/1...erry-thompson/

Gerry has given his blessing for me to release the full transcript in the upcoming book. Very excited to be working with him and other players on it!

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Finally...a new podcast episode. It's a conversation with the Grixis master, Noah Walker.

https://soundcloud.com/humansofmagic/noah-walker

I want to share a conversation that I had with 21-year old wunderkind Noah Walker. Noah is a Magic player, competitor, basketball enthusiast, and...camp counselor?!?

You may know Noah from his exploits with Grixis Delver and 4c Control in Legacy. But there's more to Noah than meets the eye.

In fact, the conversation started off quite slowly. Noah was not quite sure what to make of some stranger asking him questions over Skype.

But once we started talking about his passion for helping kids, and how he is giving back to the same summer camp that he has attended since he was eight years old...

EVERYTHING CHANGED.

We ended up having quite a good talk about everything. Family. Growing up in Massachusetts. Facing defeat and picking yourself back up. The Boston Celtics. The importance of possessing the proper mindset, especially in the heat of competition.

I certainly knew very little about Noah at the beginning of our conversation. But I walked away from our chat extremely impressed. And to think that Noah is only 21 years old -- that is pure awesome!

That is why I am excited to share this recording with you, as part of the "Humans of Magic" series.

Dec 2011
    USA

I have a request, I would actually like to be on this podcast if you're ever looking for a guest. Life & the meaning of life, what it takes to be happy & individual perspective, knowing we all have our own reality, etc, is something I'm partially obsessed with. Pretty much every waking moment for years now, I can never get out of the back of my mind, the likelihood of my own mortality, & what that means. I also enjoy Meteorology, & have been doing Magic the Gathering alters full time for about 3-4 years now.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    I have a request, I would actually like to be on this podcast if you're ever looking for a guest. Life & the meaning of life, what it takes to be happy & individual perspective, knowing we all have our own reality, etc, is something I'm partially obsessed with. Pretty much every waking moment for years now, I can never get out of the back of my mind, the likelihood of my own mortality, & what that means. I also enjoy Meteorology, & have been doing Magic the Gathering alters full time for about 3-4 years now.
    Excellent -- DM incoming.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Hello, friends!

I'd like to share my conversation with Wilson Hunter, co-host of the hit podcast "The Brainstorm Show." The interview will be included in my upcoming book, called "Humans of Magic." This was originally a podcast (audio) that I've transcribed into 12,000 words.

https://writtenbyjames.com/2017/09/2...wilson-hunter/

Though we recorded this conversation a while ago, there are many evergreen topics here, including:

* Wilson's formative years: childhood, elementary and middle school
    * The importance of family and balancing it vs. Magical hobbies
    * How being introverted helped Wilson discover the competitive nature of Magic
    * His problem-solving framework for Magic innovation and excellence
    * The origin story of how the podcast began
    * The infamous Miracles chat, starring Mr. Jarvis Yu

It's a long conversation--and a long read--but it's well worth your time. Wilson is full of great introspection, and his mental approach to the game is world-class.

Wilson's Magic credentials:

* Co-host of the hit Magic podcast, “The Brainstorm Show”
    * Founder and CEO of CardBoard Live, a new streaming platform for card games
    * 2 Legacy Grand Prix Top 8s
    * 1 Legacy Grand Prix Top 32
    * 1 Limited Grand Prix Top 16
    * 1 Star City Games Invitational Top 4, and 2 Top 16s
    * Qualified for Pro Tour Ixalan

Thanks,

James

Thread Information