Thread: What to name with Meddling Mage and /or Pithing needle?

What to name with Meddling Mage and /or Pithing needle?

Hi!

The original thread is now 4 years old and since then, there has been many changes to the format itself.

What are your ideas of cards targeted by Meddling mage and/or Pithing Needle ability?

Thanks for all your answers

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: What to name with Meddling Mage and /or Pithing needle?

This is a rather pointless question to ask without any context, as sometimes there's several cards to choose from in the same matchup. Against Sneak Show for example you'll be naming Sneak Attack most of the time, but there are scenarios where you have to name Griselbrand, Sensei's Divining Top or even Jace.

Against Elves for example, a lot of people set Meddling Mage to Natural Order. But you're just as likely to name Elvish Visionary, Glimpse or Nature or even the most dreaded thing: Abrupt Decay, which is usually incredibly annoying for Elves if you're playing a hatebear-focussed list with equipments.

If you're looking for a specific scenario feel free to ask. Otherwise...does it really help you when I tell you to Needle Goblin Charbelcher?
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    This is a rather pointless question to ask without any context, as sometimes there's several cards to choose from in the same matchup. Against Sneak Show for example you'll be naming Sneak Attack most of the time, but there are scenarios where you have to name Griselbrand, Sensei's Divining Top or even Jace.

Against Elves for example, a lot of people set Meddling Mage to Natural Order. But you're just as likely to name Elvish Visionary, Glimpse or Nature or even the most dreaded thing: Abrupt Decay, which is usually incredibly annoying for Elves if you're playing a hatebear-focussed list with equipments.

If you're looking for a specific scenario feel free to ask. Otherwise...does it really help you when I tell you to Needle Goblin Charbelcher?
    Thank you for response, Julian!

You are right in your point that it always depends on the current situation, board state etc...

I was aiming to get some basic rules in matchups... Sometimes you are on play with needle in hand.. so I think that for every match up we can set a list of basic ´´what to name´´ with cards like Meddling Mage and/or Pithing needle....

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by rhames View Post
    I was aiming to get some basic rules in matchups... Sometimes you are on play with needle in hand.. so I think that for every match up we can set a list of basic ´´what to name´´ with cards like Meddling Mage and/or Pithing needle....
    I think the point you're going to see made here is very few decks will run Pithing Needle or Meddling Mage in the mainboard. So a discussion of what to name on a G1T1 Pithing Needle on the play just isn't a realistic debate. Pretty much every instance of these card's usage will be after G1, brought in specifically to counter threats shown from the opponent.
    Even the handful of decks that do run Pithing Needle mainboard are going to keep it in their hand until a proper threat presents itself rather then just windmill slam it down and name Goblin Charbelcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I think the point you're going to see made here is very few decks will run Pithing Needle or Meddling Mage in the mainboard. So a discussion of what to name on a G1T1 Pithing Needle on the play just isn't a realistic debate. Pretty much every instance of these card's usage will be after G1, brought in specifically to counter threats shown from the opponent.
    Even the handful of decks that do run Pithing Needle mainboard are going to keep it in their hand until a proper threat presents itself rather then just windmill slam it down and name Goblin Charbelcher.
    Sure i thought plays after G1....

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Rhames, the effort and (thus the) quality if your most recent posts and thread are definitely below what we require on this forum.

Please make sure to put more effort and refrain from these random one-liners. I'm really not sure where you're tryng to go with this conversation, but it feels more like small talk than an actual discussion.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Can we include Phyrexian Revoker in this conversation?
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Can we include Slaughter Games in this conversation?

Can we include real targets // the deck that you would name vs the snark comments that take as much time to type?

Whats a good cars to name vs miracles.... terminus? How about tendrils vs storm. Any other common match ups?

May 2015
    PDX

Without any context you generally wouldn't name a 1-drop creature with Meddling Mage as it is a 2 drop. If you have maindeck Pithing Needle, you're probably on a 12-post list, so Wasteland is the name.

I like to name Dark Ritual against Storm. Sometimes.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    I like to name Dark Ritual against Storm. Sometimes.

in a vacuum needle a fetchland
    in a vacuum mage a brainstorm

more specifically, you should name their enabler or win condition.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Plenty of people play Revoker maindeck. When you're on the play and that card would be your only turn 2 play in game 1, I'd strongly consider a mulligan against a player I don't know. The sort of decks which pack such hatebears maindeck really need the tempo, and dropping a vanilla 2/1 is suboptimal.

If you either know the guy's deck, or you know him personally and you know he dropped a ton of cash for some pimped out foil permanent he's bound to play with (let's say a Jace or Liliana), you're not operating in the blind obviously.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    Can we include real targets // the deck that you would name vs the snark comments that take as much time to type?
    Do you even Legacy bro?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I just name Scarwood Hag and when they ask why I just explain that I don't want their mom showing up in the middle of the game.

Animals travel for miles to lap at the salty tears.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I just name Scarwood Hag and when they ask why I just explain that I don't want their mom showing up in the middle of the game.

Animals travel for miles to lap at the salty tears.
    After seeing you play a Russian treefolk deck at a GP I 100% believe you would do this.

Thread Information