Thread: eternal masters

eternal masters

can you open a box of eternal masters with 2 rare foils? or has my box been tampered with

thanks.

Re: eternal masters

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwisdom View Post
    can you open a box of eternal masters with 2 rare foils? or has my box been tampered with

thanks.
    Wow, it's a complicated question.

When WotC prints cards, they have to print them on these things called "Sheets" until they are cut apart into individual cards. They are called "sheets" because they start out looking (and feeling) like the sheets you might put on your bed. The rollers they go on are called "beds" for short for the same reason, which is kind of funny.

It's not until after they print on an entire sheet that they go through a proprietary sealing process which involves adding a layer of blue, stiffer material to back up the card. As anyone who doesn't make a bed properly knows, sometimes sheets get wrinkled. That's not a problem as long as someone is there to fluff up the sheet immediately, but occasionally the blue layer gets added before the wrinkles are worked on on a corner of the sheet. That can happen if someone gets out of the roller machine in the wrong direction and screws up the sheet's progress and then isn't around to fix it right away. Then, then they end up with a chunk of cards they can't use.

So, what they do is, when they have a bunch of wrinkled sheets they have to cut off the excess and then leave the good cards on the sheet set aside until the end of the week. At that point, someone can come in and check out what they have left over by hand, and grab enough good cards left from the wrinkled sheets to fill up one normal sheet. This gets cut by hand. It's not really by hand -- they use a device called a "Box Mapper" to cut them -- but it requires an operator so it's not as automatic as the regular sheets. Then, this "Box-Mapped" set of cards is ready to seal up.

If you get a box that has been "Box-Mapped," then your distribution of cards will vary from the norm. That's really the only reason you could possibly have just two foil rares in a box. Otherwise, the sheets would guarantee you get your value back out of every box by equally distributing all of the foil Jaces and stuff between the boxes equally.

Basically, if you don't think you got your value out of a box, it's just because someone got out of the wrong side of the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Wow, it's a complicated question.

When WotC prints cards, they have to print them on these things called "Sheets" until they are cut apart into individual cards. They are called "sheets" because they start out looking (and feeling) like the sheets you might put on your bed. The rollers they go on are called "beds" for short for the same reason, which is kind of funny.

It's not until after they print on an entire sheet that they go through a proprietary sealing process which involves adding a layer of blue, stiffer material to back up the card. As anyone who doesn't make a bed properly knows, sometimes sheets get wrinkled. That's not a problem as long as someone is there to fluff up the sheet immediately, but occasionally the blue layer gets added before the wrinkles are worked on on a corner of the sheet. That can happen if someone gets out of the roller machine in the wrong direction and screws up the sheet's progress and then isn't around to fix it right away. Then, then they end up with a chunk of cards they can't use.

So, what they do is, when they have a bunch of wrinkled sheets they have to cut off the excess and then leave the good cards on the sheet set aside until the end of the week. At that point, someone can come in and check out what they have left over by hand, and grab enough good cards left from the wrinkled sheets to fill up one normal sheet. This gets cut by hand. It's not really by hand -- they use a device called a "Box Mapper" to cut them -- but it requires an operator so it's not as automatic as the regular sheets. Then, this "Box-Mapped" set of cards is ready to seal up.

If you get a box that has been "Box-Mapped," then your distribution of cards will vary from the norm. That's really the only reason you could possibly have just two foil rares in a box. Otherwise, the sheets would guarantee you get your value back out of every box by equally distributing all of the foil Jaces and stuff between the boxes equally.

Basically, if you don't think you got your value out of a box, it's just because someone got out of the wrong side of the bed.

I got other foils at common and uncommon. It's just that I have not heard of two foil rares in a box. When we draft modern masters, modern masters 2015, and eternal masters every always asks, what was the "foil" rare, hinting that is singular. Everytime I open a box of these premium boxes, i get 1 foil rare. I have not seen two before and got curious.
    anyone else pull more than 1 foil rare?

Also I opened one of the worst boxes in eternal masters history. I almost think that my box was opened and than resealed it was so bad.

sphinx, necro and wander were my mythics.

There were NO - tops, sylvan libraries, tutors entomb, sinkhole, maze of ith, heritage druid etc to break my fall.

all junk rares but one lone wasteland

I paid 290 for this box.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

So you played the lottery and lost.

As for the rare thing, there are generally 2 foil rares (regular and mythic) in a box where there's 1 foil in every pack.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

The vast majority of the time there is 1 foil rare/mythic per box, however with that said in fairly unusual situations you'll have a box with 2 foils rares/mythics or a box that doesn't have one. Both of those are rare to the point where it is commonly accepted that all boxes have 1 foil rare or mythic.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Also I opened one of the worst boxes in eternal masters history. I almost think that my box was opened and than resealed it was so bad.

sphinx, necro and wander were my mythics.

There were NO - tops, sylvan libraries, tutors entomb, sinkhole, maze of ith, heritage druid etc to break my fall.

all junk rares but one lone wasteland

I paid 290 for this box.
    And that Kids, is why we don't buy boosters especially for 20% more than MSPR.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    And that Kids, is why we don't buy boosters especially for 20% more than MSPR.
    I wish it just ended with low-value cards. Unfortunately, it was much worse than that. Many of the cards came curled and the inside of the box was crushed on all three sides. And many of the other cards were curled on both sides like pressure had been put on them. Non Foil cards were curled. There was even a smudge of dirt on the inside cover. Anyway I got suspicious. I know all about the box lottery. You win some and you lose some. But I did not even get mint cards. Thanks for letting me know about the foils. For a brand new factory sealed box, there were alot of red flags. I have to the conclusion that it is a manufacturing defect. As someone pointed out above, perhaps someone who box mapped this box got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    And that Kids, is why we don't buy boosters <anywhere near> MSPR.
    ftfy
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I wish it just ended with low-value cards. Unfortunately, it was much worse than that. Many of the cards came curled and the inside of the box was crushed on all three sides. And many of the other cards were curled on both sides like pressure had been put on them. Non Foil cards were curled. There was even a smudge of dirt on the inside cover. Anyway I got suspicious. I know all about the box lottery. You win some and you lose some. But I did not even get mint cards. Thanks for letting me know about the foils. For a brand new factory sealed box, there were alot of red flags. I have to the conclusion that it is a manufacturing defect. As someone pointed out above, perhaps someone who box mapped this box got up on the wrong side of the bed.
    If you're not happy about the product you got, you can always contact Wizards. They'll probably replace your defect product.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Varal View Post
    If you're not happy about the product you got, you can always contact Wizards. They'll probably replace your defect product.
    He already opened the box. At that point, unless every pack was damaged, he likely won't get anything in replacement.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Everyone says Wizards replaced damaged cards if they come damaged out of the box, I've never done it but I'd look into it if I was you.

Email them, I was told once they would replace a couple cards that got crimped.

I kept them anyway for funzies

I opened three boxes of Eternal Masters, because it is just plain fun to crack packs. All three boxes had 2 foil rares, but no foil mythics.

As a weird aside, in three packs from one box, the last four commons in the pack were Japanese. These were English boxes.

Thread Information