Thread: 140th at GP Prague with Knight Depths(4C Loam)

Oct 2013
    Portugal

140th at GP Prague with Knight Depths(4C Loam)

Hey guys,
    I am sitting in the plane doing nothing so I am going to give an overrun of my path at GP Prague.
    For this tournament our so-called team had a long run of testing leading to the GP. Unfortunately I left testing 2 weeks before since I was on vacation. During that time I kept a close eye here to gather some findings and knew I still had Friday to discuss with Niklas the optimal list. For this event we gather 9 people to the trip with the following decks plus results:
    3 Miracles - Day 1 Drop
    1 Grixis Delver - Day 1 Drop
    Elves - Day 1(6-2-1), Day 2 Drop
    Shardless BUG - Day 1(6-2-1), Day 2 Drop
    Storm - Day 1(6-3), Day 2(10-5)
    BUG Delver - Day 1(7-1-1), Day 2(11-3-1)

Not going to post the list I played in the trials but the results were awesome.
    Trial 1: Elves(1-2)
    Trial 2: TinFins(1-2)
    Trial 3: Miracles(0-2)

So yeah, no more sinking money for me. I finish the tweaks in the deck with Niklas and we ended up with 74 Cards alike. I played the following list:

1 Forest
    2 Bayou
    1 Badlands
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard:

2 Thoughtseize
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Containment Priest (Niklas was running Chandra)
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Golgari Charm
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Garruk Relentless

So about the list, we ended up cutting the 61st Card which ended up being the Deathrite Shaman(Missed him exactly 1 time), In the sideboard we went back to the Leylines since they are a safer plan against Graveyard and Pyroclasm as a sweeper(never used it). The containment Priest was a poor choice I think, either Chandra, Slaughter Games or even Revoker would be a better card since it can help against Miracles since I feel the matchup is not as good as it used to be.

Now to the rounds:

DAY 1
    Round 1 - 4 Color Delver WIN 2-0
    Sideboard
    Out: Confidant, Library, Teeg, Depths
    In: 3 Swords, Pyroclasm
    1-0(2-0)
    Notes: Pyroclasm was oversideboard.

Round 2 - Lands WIN 2-1
    Sideboard
    Out: 2 Lili(+1 otp), 1 Teeg, 3 Pfire, 4 Chalice(0 otp), (1 lib otp)
    In: 3 Leylines, 1 Charm, 3 Swords, 1 Sage, 2 Thoughtseize(-2 otp)
    2-0(4-1)
    Notes: First game I slowed him down with a karakas, after he found a wasteland for it I slowed him with a Wasteland. When he finally found a wasteland to force the combo I activated the Knight and comboed also to stall the game. Ended up winning with 2 12/12 knights. Also should have taken Depths out in the sideboard since it is bad to draw it.

Round 3 - BUG Delver LOST 1-2
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, Thicket, Confidant, Library,(Liliana 3rd Game)
    In: 3 Swords, 1 Pyroclasm, (1 Charm 3rd game)
    2-1(5-3)
    Notes: Lost to Bitterblossom 2nd game and mana denial 3rd game and I also think I sb bad. Should keep library /confidant instead of pyroclasm and not oversudeboard against bitterblossom)

Round 4 - Merfolk WIN 2-0
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, Thicket, 2 Loam, 4 Chalice
    In: 3 Swords, 2 Seize, 1 Sage, 1 Garruk, 1 Pyroclasm
    3-1(7-3)
    Notes: First time opening with first turn Chalice at 1 and it is Merfolk :(. Both games won with Depths and around Submerge. Also should have bring the Charm cause TNN.

Round 5 - BUG Delver WIN 2-0
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, Confidant, Chalice
    In: 3 Swords
    4-1(9-3)
    Notes: Liked this sb a lot more.

Round 6 - Eldrazi WIN 2-1
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, Confidant(+1 3rd Game), 4 Chalice, 1 Library(0 3rd Game)
    In: 3 Swords, 2 Seize, Sage, Pyroclasm
    5-1(11-4)
    Notes: 1st game lost to a couple revokers on knight that locked me. 2nd game won on wastelock. 3rd game after loads of removal and pinging with pfire I almost threw the game by ticking up Lili and keeping only sword in hand. Thankfully he did not do the math and I killed him in response of a eye of ugin activation(ancient tomb).

Round 7 - Shardless BUG WIN 2-1
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, 4 Chalice, Mox
    In: 3 Swords, Garruk, Sage, Pyroclasm
    6-1(13-5)
    Notes: I could play this matchup every round and I would be happy with the new sideboard. It depends a bit on their sb config but it is almost a rollover.

Round 8 - Shardless BUG WIN 2-0
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, 4 Chalice, Mox
    In: 3 Swords, Garruk, Sage, Pyroclasm
    7-1(15-5)
    Notes: Chop Chop.

Round 9 - BUG Delver WIN 2-0
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, Confidant, Chalice
    8-1(17-5)
    Notes: 2nd match was grindy as hell but he had no answer for the combo and was quite drained from the day.

After the 9 round I felt I could go on for hours. Played fast and except for 1 or 2 matches I finished with +20min on the clock.

DAY 2 - Let the spiral down begin

Round 10 - Merfolk LOST 0-2
    Sideboard
    Out: Teeg, Thicket, 2 Loam, 4 Chalice
    In: 3 Swords, 2 Seize, 1 Sage, 1 Garruk, 1 Pyroclasm
    8-2(17-7)
    Notes: 2nd and last time I opened Chalice on t1, I am good at this. Lost 1st fame to TNN and did not bring Charm because I am an idiot. 2nd game I open Seize on TNN, leaving a Image and Spreading seas plus lands on his hand. He t4(wasteland set him back a turn) TNN and image TNN next turn.

Round 11 - Miracles LOST 0-2
    Sideboard
    Out: 2 Mox, Wasteland, Maze, Ooze
    In: Charm, 2 Seize, 1 Sage, 1 Garruk
    8-3(17-9)
    Notes: Misplayed first game by baiting counterbalance trigger with loam(reveals sword) and playing a confidant instead of chalice.

Round 12 - Miracles LOST 0-2
    Sideboard
    Out: 2 Mox, Wasteland, Maze, Ooze
    In: Charm, 2 Seize, 1 Sage, 1 Garruk
    8-4(17-11)
    Notes: Best player I faced in the tournament in regards to loam, I believe he understood he was the aggro-combo perfectly and excel the plan perfectly.

Round 13 - Miracles WIN 2-1
    Sideboard
    Out: 2 Mox(1 otd), Wasteland, Maze, Ooze
    In: Charm, 2 Seize(1 otd), 1 Sage, 1 Garruk
    9-4(18-12)
    Notes: He went for the overload the board with enchantments which is easier to face imo. Last game he has ensnaring bridge and blood moon on the table and after a sage on the moon I killed him in last turn with pfire. Took him from 16 to 0 with only arbor and pfire.

Round 14 - 4C Delver LOST 0-2
    Sideboard
    Out: Confidant, Library, Teeg
    9-5(18-14)
    Notes: I misplayed 1st game, after doing the math I needed to dredge 2 lands to kill on next turn(knew 1 was there due to lib), hit it, did the math again and attacked before killing his blocker and died to the top deck bolt.

Round 15 - Grixis Delver WIN 2-1
    Sideboard
    Out: Who knows?
    In: 3 Swords and a couple more things, I guess
    10-5(18-14)
    Notes: I only remember of opening an aggro land with 10 min in the clock. He mulled to 5 and I went double knight. He mana screwed me and returned a pyro killing a chalice with kolaghans. I ended up killing him with the combo.

Well day 1 was awesome and day 2 was a wreckage. Still happy with the tournament since it was my first day 2 and my first pro point. I think that's something.
    As you noticed I did not face combo all GP but I think the deck is prepared to fight against Storm, Elves and Reanimator. All others are quite hard imo.

Great weekend in a great city and a great way to finish my 2 and a half weeks of holidays.

Keep loaming.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Re: 140th at GP Prague with Knight Depths(4C Loam)

Thanks for the write-up! Any changes you'd make to the 75?

Oct 2013
    Portugal

I would definitely trade the containment priest for either Chandra(tested way to little with her), a revoker or a pithing needle.
    Would trade pyro clasm for a charm or a deluge(probably charm)

Main Deck is perfect imo

Jun 2015
    New Jersey

Been on the fence about leyline of the void vs crop rotation package myself. Would you keep leylines in after only boarding them in once over the course of the weekend?

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Djehuti View Post
    Been on the fence about leyline of the void vs crop rotation package myself. Would you keep leylines in after only boarding them in once over the course of the weekend?
    I would. You must notice that I only found matchups where they don't shine, except for lands.
    I missed them against Tin Fins, and they are much more efective against Reanimator and Storm.

Great report and congrats on the finish, you had an awesome day one! As for day 2, sometimes luck sucks too!

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Pilhas were you my Round 1 oponent in the Mainevent? I was the guy with the Source playmat who Surgicaled away your AD. Were you the guy with the Grey hair and his friend who watched us playing. You also told me that you speak a little bit of german

If yes, I really enjoyed our games! This round was one of the most interesting in the whole weekend! Tight plays on both sides, really long games, really close ones with heartbeating
    Your topdecked Maze of Ith as your only out to my 7/8 Tarmogoyf on 13 life or so was really nuts against me especially after I wasted your 2nd black source which shuted off your Liliana & surgicaled all your AD (Even one in hand!) . But ok the MU is quite hard for me and you played very well.

But I lost 1:2 and not 0:2
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Pilhas were you my Round 1 oponent in the Mainevent? I was the guy with the Source playmat who Surgicaled away your AD. Were you the guy with the Grey hair and his friend who watched us playing. You also told me that you speak a little bit of german

If yes, I really enjoyed our games! This round was one of the most interesting in the whole weekend! Tight plays on both sides, really long games, really close ones with heartbeating
    Your topdecked Maze of Ith as your only out to my 7/8 Tarmogoyf on 13 life or so was really nuts against me especially after I wasted your 2nd black source which shuted off your Liliana & surgicaled all your AD (Even one in hand!) . But ok the MU is quite hard for me and you played very well.

But I lost 1:2 and not 0:2
    I'm afraid not I would remember a fellow sorcerer.
    Also I do not speak a word of german, my hair is not grey and it was kind of a stomp

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Pilhas View Post
    I'm afraid not I would remember a fellow sorcerer.
    Also I do not speak a word of german, my hair is not grey and it was kind of a stomp
    Oh ok, so someone else played the Loam vs 4c delver Round 1 game
    Thought it was you because my oponent was from a south/west country (Spain, Portugal etc...)
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Pilhas View Post
    I would definitely trade the containment priest for either Chandra(tested way to little with her), a revoker or a pithing needle.
    Would trade pyro clasm for a charm or a deluge(probably charm)

Main Deck is perfect imo
    Do you mean a second golgari charm over a pyro?

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugeek View Post
    Do you mean a second golgari charm over a pyro?
    Yes, I like the versatility of golgari charm, and while volcanic fallout would be nice against delver/miracles, I don't think we have a huge need of a sweeper against large creature decks(merfolks/shardless/eldrazi,etc). for dealing with TNN and pyro, golgari does double duty(protects against key removal)

Thread Information