The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Re: Eldritch Moon spoilers inbound

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Or for the thrill: Watch Gras Grow!
    Are you stalking me..?

Recure it but with what? Replenish...? Starfield of Nyx! oh yes! Hard lock with rule of law or the white eidolon(also an enchantment).

Too bad Power of the Moon trys to counter abrubt decay only to 2 for 1 you.

This + cavern of souls makes it from barely playable to complete trash...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Block your Delver, Brainstorm, trigger hits your Delver.

This set has a lot of interesting build-arounds. Mark Rosewater was not the lead designer. Hmm.....

I may need a few of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I like the idea here, I just wish they had worded it to work whenever you sac it to pay an additional cost of a spell, not just Emerge.

I have to admit, this set actually looks really good for limited.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

GSZ-able and significantly cheaper than Foe-Razer Regent. Maybe still too expensive for Legacy, but who knows. Tutorable creature green removal is something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    sounds like a plan...
    Kind of like, Ophidian, Arcane Lab, Forbid.

We have better tools now but it's still clunky. Wouldn't mind giving it another go, especially since you can cast spells and they can't with this new card.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Recure it but with what? Replenish...?...
    You could recur it with flicker type effects too, but there don't seem to be any suitable ones.

Now that the full spoiler is out... cards that intrigue me:

Deploy the Gatewatch - big mana cost, but a potential for a big payout if you can find three or more planeswalkers you want into the same deck. Probably more of a card for modern though.
    Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Clearly a legacy power level card.
    Imprisoned in the Moon - Planeswalker `removal` and utility.
    Cryptbreaker - Zombie tribal
    Whispers of Emrakul - Hymn is strong
    Bedlam Reveler - RR Draw 3 + a body is strong, even if it is conditional
    Eldritch Evolution - A different flavor of natural order
    Grapple with the Past - Probably too expensive, but cantrips.
    Eternal Scourge - Food Chain hijinx

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

GSZ-able and significantly cheaper than Foe-Razer Regent. Maybe still too expensive for Legacy, but who knows. Tutorable creature green removal is something new.
    If you have that much mana, there are probably better targets, like Titania or The Gitrog Monster. One more mana gets you a Primeval Titan, Woodland Bellower, etc.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Whispers of Emrakul - Hymn is strong
    I think trying to go for delirium would make this too inefficient most of the time.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I think trying to go for delirium would make this too inefficient most of the time.
    Ehh, maybe, but I mean when do you really want to use Hymn except when it's late enough in the game that it reads "target opponent discards their hand", or at least after you've manually torn the things out you don't want to see via Duress/Cabal Therapy/Thoughtseize? If we're just talking Standard (and we probably are, I don't think too many Legacy decks even run proper Hymn to Tourach) then I feel like waiting for Delirium was something you wanted to do anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Now that the full spoiler is out... cards that intrigue me:
    Oh, sweet, are we doing that again? Cripes! We've been forgetting to update the Combo thread too!! Ah well, I know how I'm spending a few minutes now.

Here are the cards I find interesting:

Faith Unbroken

This is hilarious. You get to 2-for-1 your opponent right up until he 2-for-1s you right back!

However, if you run this in a Boggles or Troll style deck, this seems really sweet. You can Oblivion Ring without breaking your stride! Might be a tiny bit too expensive at 3W to actually see play in Boggles or anything else competitive, but this is an awesome casual card. The card it reminds me the most of is Faith's Fetters, which is also solid Grade-B removal for casual decks.

Thalia, Heretic Cathar

Yep, card is good. Gonna see some Eternal play. Luckily, at 3 mana, it's more of a curve-topper than a four-of, so that should keep the price quite reasonable.

Imprisoned in the Moon

Every color gets an Oblivion Ring! Color Pie? What Color Pie?

Mausoleum Wanderer

Cursecatcher is playable. Judge's Familiar is awesome, too, but flying does not make up for the lack of tribal synergy. So, does being in the Spirit tribe, having Spirit-prowess, and making all your later Spirits into virtual Force Spikes make up for it? I have no idea, but I love this little dork.

At worst, he slots right into Blue Martyr, so thats something!

Unsubstantiate

It's like a little baby Venser! If your deck needs a 1 casting cost temporary answer to just about anything, then this is your bag. It will take a special kind of deck for this card to shine, but I'm glad this exists. It's going to quietly do things in eternal and no one is going to even notice.

Liliana's Elite

This is a solid addition to your Splinterfright casual deck.

Stromkirk Condemned

What if Wild Mongrel pumped ALL of your q

Bedlam Reveler

So... in the late game, I get to cast RR for a 3/4 Prowess and draw three cards? And I don't use up the cards to cast it, either, so I get to cast any new Relevers I find right away for another RR? This seems quite useful. And, perhaps more importantly, it's very unique. Unique cards are good to have.

Prophetic Ravings

It is now my mission in life to find a deck that really, really, really wants to play with 8 copies of Epiphany Storm.

Stromkirk Occultist

If you are reliably casting this for it's madness cost, this seems quite good. At 3 power, it is very likely to trample over anything else in play at that turn. So, your opponent has to decide whether to trade with this guy and potentially put you up a replacement card. I think this is a new all-star in RB Vampires, wherever that deck exists.

Thermo-Alchemist

I've always liked Gelectrode and its friends, and now we've got the new cheapest machine-gun character ever! Hooray!

Gnarlwood Dryad

This is a fine, fine card. A 1/1 deathtouch does fine guard duty on the first turn, and later on it becomes a possibly-still-relevant 3/3.

Grapple with the Past

Though in strictly casual decks, I find Sudden Reclamation to be a really powerful dig card in a ramp deck. Grapple doesn't dig as deep and doesn't put you up a card, but it is half as expensive. I'm not sure if this card is good outside of the casual context, but I really appreciate the way WotC has been tweaking green's particular form of card "draw" in recent sets.

Noose Constrictor

Wow. It's been a LONG time since any card in Blue/Green Madness got knocked out of the deck -- but I think Wild Mongrel just got handed his layoff paperwork. Changing color has not been relevant since the age of Terror and Nekratal.

Spell Queller

Counterspell creatures are very powerful, and this one is simply great. The artwork is super cool, too.

Drownyard Behemoth and Elder Deep-Fiend

All of the Emerge cards are really, really good. Any mechanic whose sole purpose in life is to cheat costs is just begging for abuse. But, mixing Emerge with Flash seems especially spicy. Not only can you wait until the end step to flash them in and get a free surprise beat, but you can also react to a removal spell or whatever.

Eternal Scourge

Not only does this go infinite with Food Chain, it's a very resilient threat on its own. I'm glad something is finally giving Reshaper a run for it's money as an Eldrazi 3-drop. Of all the cards I've seen on pre-sale, this one seems the most under-priced to me.

---> Watch out for spikes on Manipulate Fate or, less likely, Foresight if this card proves good enough for Legacy.

It That Rides As One

In a Soul Sisters build, this seems very powerful. Not super interesting, really -- just your garden variety 4/4 lifelink AND trample AND first strike for TWO. It wins on the ground all day long.

Geier Reach Sanitarium

An interesting riff on Mikoro that works better if your deck operates out of the graveyard.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Ehh, maybe, but I mean when do you really want to use Hymn except when it's late enough in the game that it reads "target opponent discards their hand", or at least after you've manually torn the things out you don't want to see via Duress/Cabal Therapy/Thoughtseize? If we're just talking Standard (and we probably are, I don't think too many Legacy decks even run proper Hymn to Tourach) then I feel like waiting for Delirium was something you wanted to do anyway
    Hymn can be backbreaking on turn 2. Hymn them, maybe hit two lands and the game is virtually over. Hymn is pretty good as long as your opponent has at least two cards in their hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Dec 2011
    Norway

I'm excited by many of the cards mentioned above, especially the new Thalia (as DnT is my primary deck), but as an old Jund-player, I'm also very excited about Grim Flayer. I think this guy can be good in a Jund shell.

bruizar

The only card I'm excited about is Emrakul. Surprised to see so many other mentions but no Emrakul.

Not at all thrilled with the set.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bruizar

I have the feeling Emrakul is being under appreciated the same way Ulamog 2.0 and Kozilek 2.0 initially were. For modern R/G Tron it's going to be a good alternative. Other than that I'm having a really difficult time finding playable cards.

Amikooltwo won't see legacy play, kozilek and ulamog 2 are very good.

I'd rather use slaver lock than give the op another turn.

Wotc dropped the ball on this one, keywords, cost and p/t are not worth that it can cost less.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I have the feeling Emrakul is being under appreciated the same way Ulamog 2.0 and Kozilek 2.0 initially were. For modern R/G Tron it's going to be a good alternative. Other than that I'm having a really difficult time finding playable cards.
    Was Ulamog 2.0 under appreciated by the legacy community? I thought people instantly recognized it as an upgrade over the old Ulamog, at least in the Turbo-Eldrazi thread.

Thread Information