Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Re: [Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Kid View Post
    Quick question for you guys!
    What if the opponent target Opalescence and not Parrallex Wave? You cannot save both right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm assuming Opalescence is being targeted with some legal "kill spell" for enchantments in this scenario.

This also assumes there is only one Parallax Wave on the battlefield.">Opalescence and one Parallax Wave on the battlefield.

Opalescence is not a creature (and therefore can not be targeted by creature kill spells) and can not be exiled by Parallax Wave.">If the above is true then Opalescence is not a creature (and therefore can not be targeted by creature kill spells) and can not be exiled by Parallax Wave.

Parallax Wave and two Opalescences then each Opalescence make the other a creature and Parallax Wave then can exile to save the targeted Opalescence.">If there is one Parallax Wave and two Opalescences then each Opalescence make the other a creature and Parallax Wave then can exile to save the targeted Opalescence.

Parallax Wave one Opalescence and one Sterling Grove in play the only creature / enchantment that can be targeted is Sterling Gove, but Gove can be exiled / saved by Parallax Wave. If a second "kill spell" is played to target Opalescence or Parallax Wave you can in response exile Parallax Wave triggering it exit the battlefield clause to return itself and Sterling Grove to the battlefield. This will then give Opalescence and">If there is one Parallax Wave one Opalescence and one Sterling Grove in play the only creature / enchantment that can be targeted is Sterling Gove, but Gove can be exiled / saved by Parallax Wave. If a second "kill spell" is played to target Opalescence or Parallax Wave you can in response exile Parallax Wave triggering it exit the battlefield clause to return itself and Sterling Grove to the battlefield. This will then give Opalescence andParallax Wave[/cards] shroud, and the spell still on the stack will fizzle on resolution.

Hopefully that clears this up.

Cheers mate, that's clearer!

However I still don't understand how you can save all your enchantements without losing Parallax Wave on a wrath effect spell (assuming you got Opalescence on board obviously)

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Kid View Post
    Cheers mate, that's clearer!

However I still don't understand how you can save all your enchantements without losing Parallax Wave on a wrath effect spell (assuming you got Opalescence on board obviously)

You do loose Parallax Wave but nothing Exiled by Parallax Wave. When Parallax Wave Exit's the battlefield it will trigger the exit the battlefield clause, and return all others. If there is a Starfield of Nyx that survives you can return the Parallax Wave to the battlefield during your next upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    You do loose Parallax Wave but nothing Exiled by Parallax Wave. When Parallax Wave Exit's the battlefield it will trigger the exit the battlefield clause, and return all others. If there is a Starfield of Nyx that survives you can return the Parallax Wave to the battlefield during your next upkeep.
    Ok so that's what I thought.
    I thought that I missed something!

Cheers for your help!

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

I piloted this deck today, I was on 2nd place (2-1) before I dropped out on the final match. we stayed super late at work so I was tired and hungry. But still decded to go out and have fun. :)

Round 1 (vs Sneak and Show)

Game 1 - Opponent played show and tell, firing off with a really early Show and Tell. It was Emrakul vs Parallax Wave, and he met banishing light the next turn, and soon got killed by Sylvan Library, Banishing Light and Wave.
    Game 2 - Opponent went first, I started with Leyline, and he Showed and Tell right away. It was Griselbrand vs Trinisphere. He scooped in a few turns when I assembled the Opal/Wave combo.

2-0
    Current standing 1-0

Round 2 (vs Burn)

My opponent Is apperantly a new judge, and he's very friendly and fun to play with.

Game 1 - Opponent assembled a few creatures really fast while I had the combo in hand, too many green mana sources and no second white mana available.
    Game 2 - I started with 2 leylines, he got me down low with the swiftspears and Eidolon, but it soon became a slugfest when my leylines became 4/4s, my leylines getting me there..
    Game 3 - "Juuuudge!" haha, judge was called when Humility and Opalessence was in play. The judge had an omg kind of expression on his face. This match also became a slugfest, but it ended quickly when Parallax Wave made an appearance.

2-1
    Current standing 2-0

Round 3 (vs Death and Taxes)

This match was a one sided beating, there wasnt much I can do.

Game 1 - Opponent started off with a vial, followed by turn 1 Thalia. I was then facing stone forge and batterskull shortly. I lost.
    Game 2- I went first, had a decent hand, but just not fast enough. opponent had Vial again turn 1, but this time I was facing not just Thalia, but Rishadan Port as well. I was soon over run by white critters.

0-2
    Current standing (2-1)

I was tired and hungry so I dropped out despite being told that im on 2nd place, and would have top 4d.
    As much as I want to stay, I'm just really tired, and shook everyones hands and told them great games.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Deleted. Meant to post in a different Thread :-/

Now that Cast Out is real, could be a nice idea to play a deck with Replenish? =)

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

After some more play testing the deck wants 3 Porphyry Nodes in the SB more than the 3 Carpet of Flowers. This helps shore up the D&T MU.

Since this deck does not play Argothian Enchantress it is a near perfect fit. Tutorable, can be found by Kruphix's Insight.

Took this one for a spin in a league last night to a 2-3 record. Beat Burn and BR Reanimator, both very luckily. Lost to Grixis Delver, BR Reanimator, and Elves.

I think we need to have full 4 Leyline of the Void in the side...otherwise that fast type of reanimator combo is extremely not in our favor. We do have some (exceedingly small) chance to get a milled Leyline into play using Replenish. Bonus points that we do have Groves to protect them from Wear//Tear (the guy I lost to found 3 in game 3...)

I've no idea what can be used for Elves. Can't really tell if Sphere is really helpful there or if some GW non-enchantment, non-artifact is needed. I dislike most ench/art answers for them due to Rec Sage. Maybe Grafdiggers Cage to supplement both matchups? Least they can't GSZ for Sage at that point and it could provide the time to win with our combo. Otherwise we have like...Holy Light as an option.

I'm not sure what to cut for Cast Out, either.

Any thoughts on the Solemnity/Phyrexian Unlife lock in here? Grove protects from Abrupt Decay and having both on the field could stall for quite a bit of time. Don't think I've seen any legacy enchantment decks try to abuse those two, there are modern decks popping up though. It might just take up too many spaces trying to fit enough in to reliably hit them, and it is another 2-card combo alongside our existing one. Least both enchantments are 3 cmc instead of 4.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Any thoughts on the Solemnity/Phyrexian Unlife lock in here? Grove protects from Abrupt Decay and having both on the field could stall for quite a bit of time. Don't think I've seen any legacy enchantment decks try to abuse those two, there are modern decks popping up though. It might just take up too many spaces trying to fit enough in to reliably hit them, and it is another 2-card combo alongside our existing one. Least both enchantments are 3 cmc instead of 4.
    Short answer I have not. Haven't really been playing to be honest.

I don't think it's a good idea either since Solemnity would kill the counters on Parallax Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    Short answer I have not. Haven't really been playing to be honest.

I don't think it's a good idea either since Solemnity would kill the counters on Parallax Wave
    >.< Couple of times now I've thought of a card with counters trying to work with Solemnity.

Though I can imagine a list with Opal/Wave replaced by those two, and then finding a way to add in 2 Sigil of the Empty Throne or some such win-con.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Never played this before, ran it through a league today and finished 3-2 despite some play mistakes. I could easily have finished 4-1; I just didnt realise I could O Ring a Pithing Needle on Parallax Wave to then exile the Sylvan Library (I had Opalescence in play so it was a creature). I O Ringed the Sylvan and died to not being able to exile stuff anymore with P Wave for the rest of the game (I was 1-0 and got him down to 2-3 life before dying to a Delver, so it definitely would have finished 2-0 in that case (and 4-1 total) instead of 1-2 and 3-2 overall.

Beat 4C Loam, 12-post Eldrazi, Eldrazi Aggro; lost (due to being unfamiliar to the deck as mentioned in the above scenario) to RUG Delver; and to BUG Delver due to just losing/being 1 turn too slow to play a 2nd Replenish in a row - first one got countered.

The deck was a lot stronger than I expected, I just played it as a gimmick/joke!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

With any deck running 4 Sylvan library, would it not make sense to try to play at least 1 abundance?
    -rob

Is 4 sylvan library really better than 4 argothian enchantress in an enchantment based deck? I'm new to the legacy enchantress archetype so i'm looking to learn here.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    I've no idea what can be used for Elves
    Versus elves one thing that I used to use for my GWr enchantress when I used to see elves in my area is Authority of the Consuls it's a measely 1 mana, that slows their deck to a crawl, that will buy you enough time to assemble your pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfCards View Post
    Is 4 sylvan library really better than 4 argothian enchantress in an enchantment based deck? I'm new to the legacy enchantress archetype so i'm looking to learn here.
    I wouldn't really call this deck enchantress. The deck wants to assemble to combo fast or find Opalessence fast, that's why it uses lots of tutor or card filtering spells.
    The deck can afford to pay the life for the sake of finding the pieces. The Sylvan Library can also start swinging once you drop the Opalessence :)
    It's actually pretty cool to smack someone for 2 with sylvan library, or in my case attacking with blood moon lol.

Ground Seal, also becomes a nice card draw engine once you have the combo out, if thats what you're looking for.

EDIT:
    Just a silly idea, since our tutors also ditch our enchantments in the graveyard, and we replenish them back. Is it being too cute if we use something like:
    Saproling Burst and Pandemonium and one shot them when we replenish? :)
    Again just silly idea lol.

EDIT 2:
    With so many Sylvan Library, wouldn't a splash of red be good for Words of War? Kills off opposing Teeg, and annoying pesky stuff. With Sylvan Library and Words of War on the field, you could easily create one sided board control versus so many annoying decks. Not bad of a clock either.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think something that doesn't take up so many slots might a 1 or 2 of enchanted evening. It stops more or less all spells from being played. Just make sure you're ahead!
    -rob

I'm currently working on my own version of G/W Opal/Wave. This is my list so far. I opted to go with a more traditional draw engine in the form of Argothian Enchantress as opposed to the Sylvan Library/Kruphix's engine as Argothian isn't affected by spell pierce/Decay and is immune to daze T2 if I have the T1 growth/sprawl. The lifeloss feels like it would be a little rough. It feels safer and provides sustained card draw throughout the game. I want to squeeze in a Mirri's guile or Sylvan Library somehow(pref guile to have the extra 1 drop) and possibly a second Carpet of flowers. I omitted Starfield of Nyx because it requires 5 enchantments in order to activate the combo. I went down to 3 Opalescence from 4 in favor of an E-Tutor in the event I need to find Wave more often to lock the board down. Trying out the wish package instead of the full GSZ package(3/2) as I think it's a safer T2(assuming wild growth/Utopia sprawl t1) vs decks packed with 4 daze and since it also can help me retrieve some answers/alternate wincon. I decided against the Doomwake Giant since it feels a little slow but i may throw it back in the board. I'm open to any questions/feedback. I'm not entirely sure if I'm leveraging the wish package properly. So far the deck feels like a control deck. Other cards that came to mind are Worship since i'm using Argothian as well as maybe tossing in 1 confinement just to have a safe card. The Leylines are maindeck to give a better shot vs all decks packing hand disruption these days(it seems like quite a few and it seems as though trashing the hand of any enchantress deck crushes it), improve the G1 storm matchup and to provide room for the wish package in the board. It also helps vs burn and provides acceleration for Sanctum assuming it's in my opening hand. I may go down to 3 in the maindeck since i'm only running 3 sanctums main. Still undecided. I'm not sure if I should squeeze in another banishing light or maybe a journey to nowhere.

Why did I choose Opal/Wave over the standard G/W enchantress confinement builds? Opal/Wave feels stronger vs a metagame filled with sneak & show, Czech pile, BUG/RUG delver and doesn't need the protection of sterling grove to keep confinement safe from abrupt decay.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 5 Creature
    3 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms
    1 Dryad Arbor

// 30 Enchantment
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    4 Parallax Wave
    3 Opalescence
    3 Elephant Grass
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Banishing Light
    1 Carpet of Flowers

// 1 Instant
    1 Enlightened Tutor

// 19 Land
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Serra's Sanctum
    2 Savannah
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    7 Forest
    1 Bayou

// 5 Sorcery
    3 Living Wish
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Creature
    SB: 1 Argothian Enchantress (wish for it)
    SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn (Wish for it-Alternate wincon, and SB vs sneak/show)
    SB: 1 Sigarda, Host of Herons (Wish for it and SB vs All is Dust/Emrakul)

// 10 Enchantment
    SB: 3 Drop of Honey (vs D&T)
    SB: 1 Engineered Plague (vs Elves)
    SB: 4 Rest in Peace (Vs anything that abuses yard) (I prefer this over Ground Seal as this is better vs Reanimator/Dredge)
    SB: 1 Blind Obedience (vs sneak) (could also possibly be Authority of Consuls)
    SB: 1 Rule of Law (vs storm/high tide/elves)

// 2 Land
    SB: 1 Karakas (Wish for it)
    SB: 1 Serra's Sanctum (Wish for it)

The engineered plague in the board is currently on the chopping block for a Dueling Grounds. If I made this change I would probably try and squeeze in a Gossamer Chains somewhere in the main to negate the single attacker and to have the potential of a repeatedly castable draw engine when paired with Argothian/Presence. I would also remove the Bayou maindeck. The Eidolon of blossoms in the main is on the chopping block as well. I may just swap it out for the Sylvan Library or Mirri's Guile. I also want to squeeze in a single Helm of Obedience in the board since i'm running 4 RIPS. In theory, the drop of honey are vs D&T as they'll be looking to vial out creatures while porting/wasting lands. I'm not sure it is fast enough. I've thought about maybe tossing in Tsabo's Web instead. Another card I am considering is 1 Tabernacle since it can be used vs D&T/Eldrazi and it can be wished for.

Other cards i'm not sure of if they may/may not be needed that I thought about are Nevermore and Runed Halo.

Again, I'm open to feedback about this build and welcome any suggestions. I'm open to adding other colors if it makes sense.
    Last edited by HouseOfCards; 11-07-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I think something that doesn't take up so many slots might a 1 or 2 of enchanted evening. It stops more or less all spells from being played. Just make sure you're ahead!
    Hey, mistercakes! I've been away for a bit. Currently the deck has o ring, p wave, and Opal. With that it nukes the board of all permanents.

Blink Oring with Exile trigger on the stack permanently removes the oringed permanent.

Online I've tested Living Plane to remove lands but it seems like win more.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    Never played this before, ran it through a league today and finished 3-2 despite some play mistakes. I could easily have finished 4-1; I just didnt realise I could O Ring a Pithing Needle on Parallax Wave to then exile the Sylvan Library (I had Opalescence in play so it was a creature). I O Ringed the Sylvan and died to not being able to exile stuff anymore with P Wave for the rest of the game (I was 1-0 and got him down to 2-3 life before dying to a Delver, so it definitely would have finished 2-0 in that case (and 4-1 total) instead of 1-2 and 3-2 overall.

Beat 4C Loam, 12-post Eldrazi, Eldrazi Aggro; lost (due to being unfamiliar to the deck as mentioned in the above scenario) to RUG Delver; and to BUG Delver due to just losing/being 1 turn too slow to play a 2nd Replenish in a row - first one got countered.

The deck was a lot stronger than I expected, I just played it as a gimmick/joke!
    Glad you enjoyed it. It certainly packs a punch. Let me know if / how you tweak the list if your interest in it has continued.

Thread Information