Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: [Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Re: [Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Ah ok, I was imagining this can also stop them from Decaying or Chaining your lock pieces vs Storm; or prevent them from casting Sneak Attack which is SnT's best way to beat you. Nevermore meets Runed Halo

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

As discussed a the end of the stream Words of Worship interaction does work as described.

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    I'm interested in the interaction of Sylvan Library & Words of Worship

i'd like to know if it's possible to:

Therefore, in the end for 2 mana I could net gain 6 life & draw a single card.
    You can also gain 15 with no draw and 3 mana, or gain 5 loose 8 (5-8) Net -3 life, and 1 mana for 2 total cards. (a discount to 4 life from Sylvan Library alone)

It's certainly interesting and can change races, help the burn and tempo MUs.

Edit:

Tested this a bot more tonight. Words of Worship is actually pretty good in this deck, and it's not a "win more" I still don't feel it's prefect, but the card sure can stall a game in combo with Enchantress effects, or just Sylvan

It's pretty easy to accidentally get to 50+ life Especially if your living the dream of Parallax Wave + Opalescence + Eidolon of Blossoms (infinite draw) + Words of Worship.

...but just the simple gain 6 for 2 mana a turn with no card loss can really turn some games, and allows us to abuse Sylvan Library draws more. Man, if you play this in paper expect to get friendly with the judges. So many bizzare interactions in this deck.

...also beat a delver deck with Carpet of Flowers

Main:
    4 Parallax Wave
    4 Opalescence
    1 Starfield of Nyx

2 Replenish

2 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl

4 Oblivion Ring
    2 Words of Worship

4 Sylvan Library
    4 Kruphix's Insight
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms
    3 Enchantress's Presence

2 Plains
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    6 Forest
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Savannah
    1 Karakas
    1 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Orim's Chant
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    Last edited by Freggle; 01-07-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

Just a short summary of the MKM event weekend: The deck pooped at me the whole time…

Played both trials on Friday, went 2-2 each…loosing the last round to storm 2 times definetly sucks. With 3-1 you got a bye for the main event. Two of my opponents in this trials made top 8 main event (Mud-like aggro deck and Sneak and Show). Other matchups where Pox, Maverik and Dragon Stompy with Burning Wish and a lot of protection white dragons…so a lot of random matchups and no Delvers.

So I had to go to main event without byes. After a quick loss to Storm again I beat UR prowess, lost 1-2 to mulligan 5 two times against ur Delver and lost to Storm again. So I went frustrated 1-3 drop.

Guess how often I could get the combo Wave / Opal? Exactly zero times…

I think we are at a point that this deck is not that good in the meta…Of course you can tweak the deck that you can beat combo, but then you loose to other matchups…I am really disappointed about the performance of the deck. I tried a lot of things, had 2 Choke and 2 Carpet of Flowers in sideboard, this was the best part of the weekend and this performed very well. But without this you are just too slow.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by slayjay View Post
    Just a short summary of the MKM event weekend: The deck pooped at me the whole time…

Played both trials on Friday, went 2-2 each…loosing the last round to storm 2 times definetly sucks. With 3-1 you got a bye for the main event. Two of my opponents in this trials made top 8 main event (Mud-like aggro deck and Sneak and Show). Other matchups where Pox, Maverik and Dragon Stompy with Burning Wish and a lot of protection white dragons…so a lot of random matchups and no Delvers.

So I had to go to main event without byes. After a quick loss to Storm again I beat UR prowess, lost 1-2 to mulligan 5 two times against ur Delver and lost to Storm again. So I went frustrated 1-3 drop.

Guess how often I could get the combo Wave / Opal? Exactly zero times…

I think we are at a point that this deck is not that good in the meta…Of course you can tweak the deck that you can beat combo, but then you loose to other matchups…I am really disappointed about the performance of the deck. I tried a lot of things, had 2 Choke and 2 Carpet of Flowers in sideboard, this was the best part of the weekend and this performed very well. But without this you are just too slow.
    Slayjay, sorry about the bad beats. That does not sound like any fun. Would you be willing to share the list you ran?

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

Of course.

4 Sylvan
    4 Kruphyxs
    4 Presence
    2 Grove

4 Wave
    4 Opal
    4 O Ring
    2 Doomwake
    1 Starfield

2 Replenish

4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia
    1 Fertile

4 Windswept
    2 Wooded
    1 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    4 Sanctum
    6 Forest

SB

4 Leyline Void
    4 Leyline Sanctity
    2 Banishing Light
    2 Choke
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Engineered Plague

Really wanted to beat Delver and creatures...but you can board 13 cards against Storm as well

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Here is a nearly Mono White list that does pretty well.

Much heavier on the creature hate, and less durdle. It uses the Parfait engine of Land Tax and Scroll Rack to draw tons of cards.

This list also ramps into Enduring ideal. Not to hard to stall the game to 7 mana with this 3 Terminus list.

Not tuned, but plays well, and is favorable to tempo, and fair against combo.

4 Land Tax
    3 Terminus
    2 Rule of Law
    4 Oblivion Ring
    3 Parallax Wave
    3 Opalescence
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Starfield of Nyx
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Scroll Rack
    4 Sylvan Library
    2 Enduring Ideal
    1 Humility
    1 Dovescape

9 Plains
    4 Forest
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Windswept Heath

4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Silence
    3 Replenish
    4 Orim's Chant
    3 Ghostly Prison
    Last edited by Freggle; 01-11-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I haven't had much time to test lately, but just wondered what the chances are that there's a version of this deck that wants Thought Scour to clear your Sylvans/Guiles and mayhap Search for Azcanta?

It would mean going bigger in on Replenish but worst case vs Graveyard hate it'll still cantrip (would only be bad vs Surgical, not RIP/Leyline per se). Maybe Attunement would be an auto include then as well but I'm not sure that's necessary, as Scour (and Azcanta) are already good by themselves...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

if you're going to use attunement, would be cool to run with pursuit of knowledge. i always wanted to pair them together in a deck.
    -rob

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    if you're going to use attunement, would be cool to run with pursuit of knowledge. i always wanted to pair them together in a deck.
    Don't need Attunement for that though - this deck already runs 4 Sylvan Library?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

oh i just meant in a UW shell. also if attunement is in play and you cast it, you don't need to pass the turn. so that's sorta cool. dunno if that's even any good even with replenish. prob just a win more.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    I haven't had much time to test lately, but just wondered what the chances are that there's a version of this deck that wants Thought Scour to clear your Sylvans/Guiles and mayhap Search for Azcanta?

It would mean going bigger in on Replenish but worst case vs Graveyard hate it'll still cantrip (would only be bad vs Surgical, not RIP/Leyline per se). Maybe Attunement would be an auto include then as well but I'm not sure that's necessary, as Scour (and Azcanta) are already good by themselves...
    Has anyone seriously tested Vessel of Nascency yet?
    I agree that it would probably make you want to think about replenish more, but this is where I would start if you wanted that effect rather than adding another color

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I woke up thinking... has anyone tried Trinisphere in this deck? Could even be considered maindeck 2-3x...

This, and all-in RIP-Helm (4 RIP 3 Helm) seem to potentially benefit from this tech most, as their combo's don't really care about 3-Ball unlike other Enchantress engines.

It stops your stuff from getting countered, it kills Storm, and just slows down your opponent whille you dig for the pieces with your CMC 2-3 spells. It seems better than Sphere of Resistance in this deck; I've lost games against Storm where having to pay 5 for my Opal and Wave through a Sphere was impossible as I was stuck on 4 mana several turns.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I like it!
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

looks like i waited too long to pick up the sanctum's, which were the only cards missing from this deck. will have to wait for this bubble to calm down.

:(
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    I woke up thinking... has anyone tried Trinisphere in this deck? Could even be considered maindeck 2-3x...
    It's funny how these things go full circle sometimes!

The new Saga cards are potentially interesting because
    a) They're non-aura enchantments so they work with Opalescence (and Kruphix's Insight and Serra' Sanctum and everything else)
    b) They have effects that provide advantage over multiple turns and then self-destruct so they're good if you can blink them to reset
    c) After they self-destruct you can bring them back with Replenish

Unfortunately I don't know that any of them are powerful enough to be obvious includes:
    History of Benalia can be a powerful card in the right shell but this deck probably isn't aggressive enough to warrant it
    The Eldest Reborn is at least an answer for TNN
    Fall of the Thran provides a permanent lock on everyone's mana if you have the Opal Wave combo online

Something to think about maybe

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    looks like i waited too long to pick up the sanctum's, which were the only cards missing from this deck. will have to wait for this bubble to calm down.

:(
    Oof... yeah there seems to be a *lot* more buyout activity as of late... stupid sh!t...!

Quote Originally Posted by area View Post
    It's funny how these things go full circle sometimes!
    That's been on my mind forever... a sort of Sylvan Plug Enchantress.

Haven't had time to work it out though, so much other stuff to do.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Fall of the Thran provides a permanent lock on everyone's mana if you have the Opal Wave combo online

Something to think about maybe
    That's cute! Hadn't thought about that interaction yet.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Yeah best etb trigger to abuse is probably something like soul/essence Warden. Everything after the combo is just win more. But these wardens are just not good enough!

So maybe Auriok Champion Auriok Champion. I play alot of modern and love to bring this guy vs grix. They cant remove it lol, it blocks gurmag and stalls pyros.

So yah you drop it to buy some time/annoy your opponent and once you combo - BAM infinite life no TNN race or watever!
    With the printing of Ajani's Welcome this deck now has a clean low-curve white answer to True-name Nemesis, & burn combined that can be found with Kruphix's Insight or Commune with the Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    With the printing of Ajani's Welcome this deck now has a clean low-curve white answer to True-name Nemesis, & burn combined that can be found with Kruphix's Insight or Commune with the Gods.
    You also beat storm with infinite life so it might be worth trying to fit that effect somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    You also beat storm with infinite life so it might be worth trying to fit that effect somewhere
    The new 1-mana rule of law (Deafening Silence) is also perfect for this archetype as it slots in perfectly with Serra's Sanctum etc and Storm combo was one of the worst matchups before. Could be a strong SB option and hopefully there are some other upgrades for this deck with the new upcoming Theros set

Thread Information