Thread: A legacy zombie idea

A legacy zombie idea

So I have been toying around with a few zombies I have and not sure where to go.
    I do want this for the "casual night magic" at the lgs but I would love to take it to anything "real" just for fun because why not.

I do like goblins and merfolk decks but they really are not my tribe. Been a fan of zombies ever since I started mtg really.

Not sure if I should take ideas from goblins and merfolk like vial, port, wasteland, Lords and that sort.

I do need cavern's for sure, wasteland is not good as most zombies I chose are 1 and multiblack so I would have to have urborg to make port and wasteland usable to cast stuff.
    But if I use vial then it don't matter, I really want to use rituals for speed but consistency against counter magic vial with cavern should be a must.

But dropping in 3 carnophage t1 is just sweet but like anything a fow means I'm done for. Now on to cards

Creatures I am interested in using
    Carnophage
    Corpse Harvester
    Geralf's Messenger
    Gravecrawler
    Gurmag Angler
    Maggot Carrier
    Sangrophage
    Shepherd of Rot

If I do use rits dark and culling are my top picks, I don't have any other fow user at the lgs so I think I can get away with a ritual build for the time being.

Removal in the form of edict effects and dismember.

Discard I don't really have room for but can be good to have, but then again at my lgs removal is almost non existent to the point of laughing your way out of the store.

I ha e been toying with draw in the form of sign in blood, nights whisper and alters reap.

And my creature curve is picked so low so I can use unearth, if it's useless I draw.

Reasons for creatures

I love the good 1drop zombies, I almost want maggot carrier over gravecrawler because it causes life lose on entering.
    But repeatability the crawler is by far the best for the long game.

Maybe maggot can go.

The phages because the most damage for the cost, life loss is a thing but I hope I do more damage before it matters.

Corpse harvester is fantastic, any zombie and a land for the payment of a creature that I can recure or it just comes back(messenger).

The fish because it's a big beatstick

Shepard of rot is really my endgame, I love that card because it reminds me of old pestilence which is another card I really found interesting.

I have it as a 1 of in the idea but tendrils of agony, it gives life back, takes life and works with all the rits and such.

But if I go vial its useless and I need a different way to get life back from the phages and Shepard.

I really want to make this a strong contender but it will never be "t2" unless we get a zombie recruiter and a 2/2 haste for 1.

I have gone through almost every zombie in the cmc top of 3 and these are the ones I really like.
    Only 3drop I like is messenger and I'm not a huge fan of the Lord's, I want to drop creatures, get some beats in and finish with SoR.

I do have 1 big issue and that's a lot of 2 cmc spells which can lead to bad opening hands and reliant on rits to do anything.

Not sure on numbers at this point or which direction to go to plan the deck.
    Just tossing around the idea and decided to ask for opinions on the subject.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: A legacy zombie idea

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    I don't have any other fow user at the lgs so I think I can get away with a ritual build for the time being.
    Combo decks are probably pretty great in that field.

Out of curiosity, what are the other decks you expect to run into? Whenever I build a new deck, I also build in mind of what I expect to face.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Zombies was my first love in Legacy from monoB to splash white and more. However, that was before delver and terminus existed. But some new zombie cards can make this more fun than what I remember. I topped out at 2-3 Undead Warchiefs, but Corpse harvester was way too slow for me. I usually pulled ahead with the one drops or Lord of the Undead paired with Gempalm Polluter in case my Shepard was too risky to activate.

Lands
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    7 Swamp
    1 Leechridden Swamp
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Cavern of Souls
    2 Mutavault
    1 Unholy Grotto

Creatures
    3 Gempalm Polluter
    3 Lord of the Undead
    3 Mogis's Marauder
    3 Shepherd of Rot
    3 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Diregraf Ghoul
    4 Carnophage

Spells
    4 Bad Moon
    4 Sarcomancy
    3 Unearth

Sideboard
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Yixlid Jailer
    3 Bitterblossom
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Fleshbag Marauder
    1 Withered Wretch
    1 Stillmoon Cavalier

Here's what I remember from the top of my head for a monoB list with some current updates (so it's not straight from 2009) and I'm also taking into consideration this is more of a budget. Correct me if I'm wrong here because I could add more things to beef up the power and consistency like Jitte/Dark Confidant and add white for disruption + removal. Manabase could be all swamps, but some key zombie cards like Unholy Grotto and Leechridden Swamp are cheap to get and should be in any zombie deck for reach. You mentioned Cavern of souls and I prefer that over vial to address countermagic since it costs no extra deck space and vials (and rituals) take up slots that could be threats. It is usually hard to recover from mulligans with zombies, so I like to keep the deck dense with threats and not give the opponent time to setup before I deploy the first wave of zombies.

Zombies have cool tricks like Carrion feeder + Gravecrawler to make huge one drops or have a mid-late game mana sink to bust through blockers or close the game out fast. Gravecrawler in this way can act as a zombie Ravager by eating creatures that were going to die to removal anyway or your own chumpblockers to then buyback with unholy grotto. The Mogis's Maruaders is also nice at keeping the pressure up once you are facing blockers. Mogis, Gempalm, and Leechridden Swamp (to some extent) can put you at a lifetotal high enough to go crazy with a final activation of shepherd.

Sb isn't actually made, but that can start you off. There are lots of useful zombies left if you need removal like pairing Nameless Inversion with Lord of the Undead to buy it back.

Hopefully this helps you eat some more brains.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Combo decks are probably pretty great in that field.

Out of curiosity, what are the other decks you expect to run into? Whenever I build a new deck, I also build in mind of what I expect to face.
    I expect very mediocre decks, if I remove a blocker I can get lots of damage in.
    If I can dump my hand ala affinity I'm golden.

If certain people come in I have oops and dredge to deal with. Otherwise its dumb aggro like I want to do but stronger than them.
    Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Zombies was my first love in Legacy from monoB to splash white and more. However, that was before delver and terminus existed. But some new zombie cards can make this more fun than what I remember. I topped out at 2-3 Undead Warchiefs, but Corpse harvester was way too slow for me. I usually pulled ahead with the one drops or Lord of the Undead paired with Gempalm Polluter in case my Shepard was too risky to activate.

Lands
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    7 Swamp
    1 Leechridden Swamp
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Cavern of Souls
    2 Mutavault
    1 Unholy Grotto

Creatures
    3 Gempalm Polluter
    3 Lord of the Undead
    3 Mogis's Marauder
    3 Shepherd of Rot
    3 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Diregraf Ghoul
    4 Carnophage

Spells
    4 Bad Moon
    4 Sarcomancy
    3 Unearth

Sideboard
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Yixlid Jailer
    3 Bitterblossom
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Fleshbag Marauder
    1 Withered Wretch
    1 Stillmoon Cavalier

Here's what I remember from the top of my head for a monoB list with some current updates (so it's not straight from 2009) and I'm also taking into consideration this is more of a budget. Correct me if I'm wrong here because I could add more things to beef up the power and consistency like Jitte/Dark Confidant and add white for disruption + removal. Manabase could be all swamps, but some key zombie cards like Unholy Grotto and Leechridden Swamp are cheap to get and should be in any zombie deck for reach. You mentioned Cavern of souls and I prefer that over vial to address countermagic since it costs no extra deck space and vials (and rituals) take up slots that could be threats. It is usually hard to recover from mulligans with zombies, so I like to keep the deck dense with threats and not give the opponent time to setup before I deploy the first wave of zombies.

Zombies have cool tricks like Carrion feeder + Gravecrawler to make huge one drops or have a mid-late game mana sink to bust through blockers or close the game out fast. Gravecrawler in this way can act as a zombie Ravager by eating creatures that were going to die to removal anyway or your own chumpblockers to then buyback with unholy grotto. The Mogis's Maruaders is also nice at keeping the pressure up once you are facing blockers. Mogis, Gempalm, and Leechridden Swamp (to some extent) can put you at a lifetotal high enough to go crazy with a final activation of shepherd.

Sb isn't actually made, but that can start you off. There are lots of useful zombies left if you need removal like pairing Nameless Inversion with Lord of the Undead to buy it back.

Hopefully this helps you eat some more brains.
    I do like the idea with carrion feeder, with a rit I can do that a few times.
    Gary is a possibly over the tendrils idea.

If I stick with the phages which I really want to, I dont see much removal if any happening.
    Most want to trade creature for creature, one likes to use mana dorks and lords.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

If you want to make Legacy Zombies you'll probably have to adopt a Merfolk approach.

Lords on lords on lords. And Aether Vial.

Problem is that Merfolk can run 8 2 mana lords (and 4 Phantasmal Image) where Zombie lords start @3 mana.

So basically what you're building is Merfolk Gone Bad (or Rotten Fish, whatever tickles your fancy).

Being able to cast Buried Alive for 3 Gravecrawlers is pretty awesome though, I'll admit that. Add in some Bridge From Belows and sac outlets and you might have something. Like Bad Dredge, or Baby Reanimator.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

It's a little old, but the Zombardment thread might be worth looking at.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

I put this together for Tribal Wars, but just posting it in hopes it might have a useful idea in there:

4 Putrid Imp
    4 Grave crawler
    3 Relentless Dead
    4 Diregraf Colossus
    4 Prized Amalgam
    1 Rotting Rats
    20 Creatures

4 Cabal Theapy
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Salvation
    19 Spells

4 Cavern of souls
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Wasteland
    5 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    21 Lands

60 Total

I toyed around with Zombies in Legacy for a month or two not too long ago. It was definitely fund and I took a lot of people by surprise, but I never really cracked the nut.. However, one card I am certain you NEED to play is Scourge of Nel Toth

For reference, this is what I ended up with:

Creature (29)
    4x Bloodghast
    2x Fatestitcher
    4x Golgari Grave-Troll
    1x Golgari Thug
    4x Gravecrawler
    2x Phantasmagorian
    4x Prized Amalgam
    4x Putrid Imp
    4x Scourge of Nel Toth

Instant (5)
    1x Darkblast
    4x Entomb

Land (18)
    1x Cabal Pit
    1x Cephalid Coliseum
    2x Dakmor Salvage
    2x Phyrexian Tower
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    3x Underground Sea
    1x Undiscovered Paradise
    3x Verdant Catacombs

Sorcery (8)
    4x Careful Study
    4x Gitaxian Probe

Sideboard (15)
    1x Ashen Rider
    1x Cabal Therapy
    1x Coffin Purge
    1x Dread Return
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2x Karakas
    2x Pithing Needle
    4x Reanimate
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Vengeful Pharaoh

Feel free to pick up the mantle, I am sure there is a good Zombie deck hidden somewhere in the cardpool, I have just moved on for now (Though Cryptbreaker briefly made me wanna go back)

Good luck with it

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    If you want to make Legacy Zombies you'll probably have to adopt a Merfolk approach.
    There are some other possibilities - a graveyard deck with Zombie Infestation or a combo deck that uses Rooftop Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook1e View Post
    I toyed around with Zombies in Legacy for a month or two not too long ago. It was definitely fund and I took a lot of people by surprise, but I never really cracked the nut.. However, one card I am certain you NEED to play is Scourge of Nel Toth

For reference, this is what I ended up with:

Creature (29)
    4x Bloodghast
    2x Fatestitcher
    4x Golgari Grave-Troll
    1x Golgari Thug
    4x Gravecrawler
    2x Phantasmagorian
    4x Prized Amalgam
    4x Putrid Imp
    4x Scourge of Nel Toth

Instant (5)
    1x Darkblast
    4x Entomb

Land (18)
    1x Cabal Pit
    1x Cephalid Coliseum
    2x Dakmor Salvage
    2x Phyrexian Tower
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    3x Underground Sea
    1x Undiscovered Paradise
    3x Verdant Catacombs

Sorcery (8)
    4x Careful Study
    4x Gitaxian Probe

Sideboard (15)
    1x Ashen Rider
    1x Cabal Therapy
    1x Coffin Purge
    1x Dread Return
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2x Karakas
    2x Pithing Needle
    4x Reanimate
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Vengeful Pharaoh

Feel free to pick up the mantle, I am sure there is a good Zombie deck hidden somewhere in the cardpool, I have just moved on for now (Though Cryptbreaker briefly made me wanna go back)

Good luck with it
    What would be your approach with the addition of Cryptbreaker?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think there would be value (like most other tribal decks) to run aether vial. works rather well with relentless dead if nothing else.

zombies after going through gatherer which might be playable

anathemancer
    cryptbreaker
    diregraf colossus
    geralf's messenger
    gravecrawler
    lord of the undead
    relentless dead
    gempalm polluter
    grey merchant of asphodel
    zombie master
    undead gladiator
    stillmoon cavalier
    lifebane zombie
    withered wretch
    gurmag angler
    grave defiler
    western paladin

probably need to run deathrite shaman in any case.
    -rob

Don't have a sideboard yet, but as a mainboard -- potential?

4 Putrid Imp
    4 Grave-crawler
    4 Prized Amalgam
    4 Scourge of Nel Toth
    4 Cryptbreaker
    1 Haunted Dead

4 Careful Study
    4 Force of Will
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb

4 Cavern of souls
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Blood-stained Mire
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

Cryptbreaker, haunted dead and scourge is bad.

I like the zombie mentor idea but it needs an aggro gas like the phages have.

Vial is a given at this point.
    If we went fish like we need Lords, and urborg with more recursion for our beaters.

Much discard lime hymn and duress, yes thoughtseize and iok are " better" but we want to eliminate removal/hate more than whatever and life mater's.

Shepard of rot is by far the best finisher if we untap and corpse harvester is great with gravecrawler and the like.

Messenger us costly but it's power level is insane, it comes in tapped but it's for sure 2 for 3b and a body,

It don't play well with most of the plans many bring up but what is offers is better than most tribal decks can offer.

I'll be the first to say I hate almost all the Lords for zombies but Lord of the undead seems the most playable.

Bloodghast is good only if it can be used, might be the 2drop we can use with gravecrawler.

I can't say enough about how much I love corpse harvester, it costs 5 but to get lands and a tutorable zombie and a land it's endgame pleasure.

I love the phages in non removal meta's, it's nuts, all they can do is block but then when sor comes online they lose.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

There's always the suicide black plan of going to the aggro side of things.

1CMC
    Gravecrawler
    Carnophage
    Carrion Feeder
    Diregraf Ghoul
    Sarcomancy
    Putrid Imp

2CMC
    Barrow Ghoul
    Blood Scrivener
    Relentless Dead
    Sangrophage
    Shepherd of Rot
    Spiteful Returned
    Stromgald Crusader
    Wretched Anurid

Add in Dark Ritual, some mass pump like Bad Moon, Dark Triumph, or Scare Tactics and maybe some removal of some sort.

It's a very all-in strategy, but it could be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

I like sarcomancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    There's always the suicide black plan of going to the aggro side of things.

1CMC
    Gravecrawler
    Carnophage
    Carrion Feeder
    Diregraf Ghoul
    Sarcomancy
    Putrid Imp

2CMC
    Barrow Ghoul
    Blood Scrivener
    Relentless Dead
    Sangrophage
    Shepherd of Rot
    Spiteful Returned
    Stromgald Crusader
    Wretched Anurid

Add in Dark Ritual, some mass pump like Bad Moon, Dark Triumph, or Scare Tactics and maybe some removal of some sort.

It's a very all-in strategy, but it could be fun.
    I've been messing around with sui-black style zombies for years now, and sadly I am very pessimistic that it'll ever work. Decks now are on a whole too strong, zombies are going to have to do something different; something semi-broken with consistency to even be a tier 2 deck...

Right now I'm pinning my hopes on Scourge of Nel Toth, although the deck indeed is very vulnerable to GY.
    Haven't developed a Side Board plan yet for that.

Anyway, this is what I got after some table top play this week, I might need to fit some putrid imps in.
    Turn 1 Entomb to Haunted dead is great, and I'm finding Diregraf to consistently come down as a 4/4 or 5/5 early game.
    Force of Will might be somewhat sustainable if dismember is taken out, and 2 more cards are taken out, to add 2 brainstorms to bring the blue cards count to 16 (still low..)

4 Cryptbreaker
    4 Grave-crawler
    4 Prized Amalgam
    4 Scourge of Nel Toth
    3 Diregraf Colossus
    2 Haunted Dead

4 Careful Study
    2 Brainstorm
    1 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Dismember

4 Cavern of souls
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Blood-stained Mire
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    Last edited by LordEvilTeaCup; 08-07-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEvilTeaCup View Post
    I've been messing around with sui-black style zombies for years now, and sadly I am very pessimistic that it'll ever work. Decks now are on a whole too strong, zombies are going to have to do something different; something semi-broken with consistency to even be a tier 2 deck...

Right now I'm pinning my hopes on Scourge of Nel Toth, although the deck indeed is very vulnerable to GY.
    Haven't developed a Side Board plan yet for that.

Anyway, this is what I got after some table top play this week, I might need to fit some putrid imps in.
    Turn 1 Entomb to Haunted dead is great, and I'm finding Diregraf to consistently come down as a 4/4 or 5/5 early game.
    Force of Will might be somewhat sustainable if dismember is taken out, and 2 more cards re taken out, to add 2 brainstorms to bring the blue cards count to 16 (still low..)

4 Cryptbreaker
    4 Grave-crawler
    4 Prized Amalgam
    4 Scourge of Nel Toth
    3 Diregraf Colossus
    2 Haunted Dead

4 Careful Study
    2 Brainstorm
    1 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Dismember

4 Cavern of souls
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Blood-stained Mire
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    I decided to revisit Zombies after I got to se Voldaren Pariah play out at the PT. I started of with the shell I shared earlier in this thread and wanted to go more grind than dredge. This is what I have come around to so far:

Creature (32)
    4x Bloodghast
    1x Carrion Feeder
    3x Cryptbreaker
    4x Gravecrawler
    2x Haunted Dead
    2x Lotleth Troll
    2x Prized Amalgam
    4x Putrid Imp
    4x Satyr Wayfinder
    4x Scourge of Nel Toth
    2x Voldaren Pariah

Land (19)
    3x Bayou
    1x Dakmor Salvage
    1x Forest
    2x Phyrexian Tower
    3x Polluted Delta
    2x Swamp
    1x Underground Sea
    1x Undiscovered Paradise
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Volrath's Stronghold

Instant (6)
    3x Abrupt Decay
    3x Grisly Salvage

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard (15)
    1x Abrupt Decay
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x Mindbreak Trap
    2x Null Rod
    2x Pithing Needle
    4x Thoughtseize

I will probably give this a go at the weekly legacy tourney at my LSG Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Rook1e View Post
    I decided to revisit Zombies after I got to se Voldaren Pariah play out at the PT. I started of with the shell I shared earlier in this thread and wanted to go more grind than dredge. This is what I have come around to so far:

Creature (32)
    4x Bloodghast
    1x Carrion Feeder
    3x Cryptbreaker
    4x Gravecrawler
    2x Haunted Dead
    2x Lotleth Troll
    2x Prized Amalgam
    4x Putrid Imp
    4x Satyr Wayfinder
    4x Scourge of Nel Toth
    2x Voldaren Pariah

Land (19)
    3x Bayou
    1x Dakmor Salvage
    1x Forest
    2x Phyrexian Tower
    3x Polluted Delta
    2x Swamp
    1x Underground Sea
    1x Undiscovered Paradise
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Volrath's Stronghold

Instant (6)
    3x Abrupt Decay
    3x Grisly Salvage

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard (15)
    1x Abrupt Decay
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x Mindbreak Trap
    2x Null Rod
    2x Pithing Needle
    4x Thoughtseize

I will probably give this a go at the weekly legacy tourney at my LSG Tuesday
    You might want to get some cavern of souls mainboard, helps you power through a Scourge of Nel Toth against force of will. I know you have both bloodghast and gravecrawler for recurrable sacrifices, but getting behind tempo might be game.

Looks promising though, let us know how you do! Ride those Undead Dragons to victory!

Servus,

I think that Zombies would have to be built on [card]Contamination[/card] to be worthwhile and to gain a justification to run the deck in the first place, just like it is the case with Back to Basics and MUC. The past sets have given Zombies a sufficent number of Cards that enable the Contamination lock while not being too bad on their own, namely [card]Gravecrawler[/card] and more recently [card]Relentless Dead[/card]. While the main goal should still be the usual beatdown in my opinion, one should consider the Contamination lock as a sideplan that works best if the Opponent already had to spend most of his ressources to stop the beatdown. It's not even the case that the deck becomes that much graveyard-reliant since said cards are all good on their own and if the Opponent tries to attack the graveyard, he will most likely be overwhelmed by the Zombie Horde anyway. Both cards Play work well both with Cabal Therapy and Carrion Feeder by the way, but that seems to be more known. Aside from that, another merit or apology of playing a Zombie tribal deck is is the maginificient synergy between [card]Lord of the Undead[/card] and [card]Nameless Inversion[/card]. I have two lists that im currently testing but still uncertain what judgement has to be passed.

Thread Information