Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Future of the Legacy Decks...

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: The Future of the Legacy Decks...

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Spells printed 'recently' that have been banned-

Dig Through Time
    Treasure Cruise
    Mental Misstep

Creatures printed 'recently' that have been banned-

Your move Yugi :^)

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

TKS needs a restriction in Vintage.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

So, apparently, adding Opposition to Elves! is a good thing, as Pierre Canali just went 7-1 at BoM Strasbourg.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

That deck is pure gasoline honestly
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

The new spells Wizards has printed have warped Legacy, while the new creatures have been pretty meh. Vryn Wingmare? Spirit of the Labyrinth?

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around...

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    TKS needs a restriction in Vintage.
    You spelled 'Gush' wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Arschmann View Post
    The new spells Wizards has printed have warped Legacy, while the new creatures have been pretty meh. Vryn Wingmare? Spirit of the Labyrinth?
    Eldrazi Stompy?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by aluisiocsantos View Post
    Eldrazi Stompy?
    It has meta presence, but format warping? How so?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

A quick look since RTR
    You forgot the most important one.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It has meta presence, but format warping? How so?
    It's close. You definitely take into account this deck when side boarding and chalice being prevalent is huge
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    You forgot the most important one.
    I was only posting non creatures. DRS, regardless of planswalker jokes, is still a creature.

As for Eldrazi. Format warping maybe, but not massively. The decks that are still pushing DTB have not changed. Eldrazi is slipping slightly in its win percentages but it's meta penetration is still high. It's effectiveness has started to fall away and while people might build a sideboard with it in mind, that's just what you do when a force appears you have to answer.

The format warping deck is still Miracles. All my data suggests that it's Miracles you must worry about the most. Even now after everyone claimed Eldrazi would end the format as we know it. Turns out that's not the case.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    It's close. You definitely take into account this deck when side boarding and chalice being prevalent is huge
    But chalice isn't a creature

The format warping deck is still Miracles.
    This. I can't remember a single meet where Miracles was represented and didn't figure in the top4. It's just so consistent against so many opponents.

The thing I take out of the changes in MTG, with their new prints over the last 5 years;
    Hate is getting stronger.
    Whether they're permanents or not, the cards that hate on combo's, graveyards, tokens etc. are becoming more varied and in some instances, terminal to a particular strategy.
    Going All-In, or Over-Reaching has always been something we have to be wary of in Legacy, but now that we have cards like Terminus, Flusterstorm, Grafdigger's Cage etc., all at a miserly cost of 1cmc, I feel the penalty for over-reaching has never been more severe.

From year to year, this discussion comes back like a boomerang. Legacy is the healthiest of all Magic formats.

Look at this summary (based on mtgtop8.com):

2016 (Aggro 39% Control 35% Combo 26%) - so far, it's July!
    2015 (Aggro 29% Control 39% Combo 32%)
    2014 (Aggro 34% Control 37% Combo 29%)
    2013 (Aggro 38% Control 32% Combo 30%)
    2012 (Aggro 40% Control 30% Combo 30%)
    2011 (Aggro 42% Control 31% Combo 27%)

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by paraszczak View Post
    From year to year, this discussion comes back like a boomerang. Legacy is the healthiest of all Magic formats.

Look at this summary (based on mtgtop8.com):

2016 (Aggro 39% Control 35% Combo 26%) - so far, it's July!
    2015 (Aggro 29% Control 39% Combo 32%)
    2014 (Aggro 34% Control 37% Combo 29%)
    2013 (Aggro 38% Control 32% Combo 30%)
    2012 (Aggro 40% Control 30% Combo 30%)
    2011 (Aggro 42% Control 31% Combo 27%)
    I would personally argue that no format is the "healthiest" and that Legacy just happens to suit what you like to do in Magic if you see it that way. Someone who enjoys Midrange would likely make the argument that Modern is the "healthiest". Both I guess have their points from their points of view.

As for your numbers. In 2011 the top aggro decks actually where aggro. Goblins, Fish, Maverick, Zoo and Thresh where your Aggro decks. Each of these actual aggro decks (well, Thresh was always tempo). Today the "Aggro" category is filled with "Tempo" decks and Aggro is no longer an actual deck type in Legacy. (Eldrazi is kind of back in that wheelhouse)

Control was an open field, Landstil, Thopters and Dutch Stax. The format was not all based around one core when it came to that category

Combo though... Cephalid Breakfast and High Tide. Come back I miss you both.

Your numbers on the breakdown look nice, but they are not telling the story of what has happened over those years. The 2011 format looks far more interesting to me than the 2016 one does. Goblin tinted glasses maybe, but hey, I will wear that bias on my sleeve.

I would personally argue that no format is the "healthiest" and that Legacy just happens to suit what you like to do in Magic if you see it that way. Someone who enjoys Midrange would likely make the argument that Modern is the "healthiest". Both I guess have their points from their points of view.
    I think your understanding of the term "healthy" is quite different from that to which we are used to. A healthy format is a format that allows a wide variety of cards/decks/archetypes to be viable. The healthy meta would allow for a loose "rock/paper/scissors" meta of Control, Aggro, and Combo. Finally, healthy legacy should allow multiple decks in these archetypes.

As for your numbers. In 2011 the top aggro decks actually where aggro. (...) Goblin tinted glasses maybe, but hey, I will wear that bias on my sleeve.
    Legacy is large enough that Aggro, Control, Combo hybridizes into Aggro, Tempo, Midrange, Prison, etc. deck archetypes. I would call it an evolution.

Mar 2013

I would call it a whole sale distrustion of Aggro as a force in Legacy. Tempo does not equal Aggro. Aggro in Legacy is dead.

Call it how you want to, I do not look at the 2011 format and think "Look how healthy Legacy is in 2016". I look at it and mourn.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

The healthy meta would allow for a loose "rock/paper/scissors" meta of Control, Aggro, and Combo. Finally, healthy legacy should allow multiple decks in these archetypes.
    Legacy's been more Miracles >= (Tempo >= Combo > Midrange > Tempo) for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Thread Information