Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of the Legacy Decks...

The Future of the Legacy Decks...

It looks like WotC has changed the way they print cards. They have started focusing more on creatures, planeswalkers and have gone away from printing efficient spells that have an effect they consider to be unfun. My question is what types of decks(both specific and broad categories of decks) are most likely to get upgrades and what do you think the legacy metagame will look like in the future?

I think tribal decks(with core sets going away) and obviously prison decks will start declining. While combo decks wont get many upgrades, they will continue to thrive as long as WotC doesnt print even better disruption than what we already have(I doubt they'll print another free counterspell and you cant really print much better than thoughtseize when it comes to hand disruption. Creature based decks especially decks like Death and Taxes and Nic Fit will get the most upgrades. Control and Prison decks will probably start to decline because they arent going to print good control cards in standard because they think it is unfun...

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Re: The Future of the Legacy Decks...

Google "mtg new world order"+ "creature power creep" you should find some articles from a few years ago.

Legacy updates usually involve some form of discount mechanic, both delve and miracle are a perfect example.

Tribal deck could also get an update because they can bring a decent card to a broken level much easier, also if Wizard plans to keep doing their back to xyz blocks Lorwin is one of the next ones and they'll likely print at least one or two good pieces, and most tribals in legacy dont need that much to get back int o the metagame.

Combo rarely gets anything, but a single spell can shake things up and save an archetype by itself (storm wouldn't be a thing without Past in Flames for example, getting another spicy engine could be enough for another 5 years cycle).

Control cant reasonably get tools better than what they have now, Terminus and Plowshares are the end of the line, stack control got Flusterstorm which is bonkers, both Monastery Mentor and Entreat are top notch finishers, the only thing we dont have is a clean card advantage spell, that won't be printed most likely because when they tryed with Dig and Cruise we all saw how broken it was, but counterbalance is good enough to do the "card advantage" on its own.

Pure prison is pretty much dead, there is no reason to not play a creature based prison with both eldrazi and white dudes playable, so yeah i don't think we'll never see a white stax deck, decks like that cant really get a spell that good to carry them back into the meta imho.

Also i don't think we can reasonably predict the future of the game, most staples are cards that no one could have expected to be printed in the first place, and we can't really have a clue about future mechanics, there are many ways to print broken legacy cards that are unable to destroy modern and standard, you can see Mentor being useless in modern, really good in legacy and cancer incarnated in vintage for example, I'm confident that a lot of playable cards will be introduced in the next expansions.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    It looks like WotC has changed the way they print cards. They have started focusing more on creatures, planeswalkers and have gone away from printing efficient spells that have an effect they consider to be unfun. My question is what types of decks(both specific and broad categories of decks) are most likely to get upgrades and what do you think the legacy metagame will look like in the future?

I think tribal decks(with core sets going away) and obviously prison decks will start declining. While combo decks wont get many upgrades, they will continue to thrive as long as WotC doesnt print even better disruption than what we already have(I doubt they'll print another free counterspell and you cant really print much better than thoughtseize when it comes to hand disruption. Creature based decks especially decks like Death and Taxes and Nic Fit will get the most upgrades. Control and Prison decks will probably start to decline because they arent going to print good control cards in standard because they think it is unfun...
    Legacy's card-pool doesn't change except for when new sets are printed and get sucked into the void of twenty-plus years of Magic. The best cards will always still be the best cards, and as long as they're legal, the future of Legacy archetypes and the cards they use won't change drastically - no matter what's excluded from a new set's print run. I'm kind of trying to understand why this is even a topic of conversation, because saying that Wizards has "gone away from printing efficient spells that have an effect they consider to be unfun" is vague. Spells (as in instant and sorcery spells) will always be a huge part of the game. The problem isn't what they're printing, it's that the spells that were already printed years ago are just so powerful to exclude from most competitive decks that added design space becomes minimal. This puts less a focus on what's new and "cool" as opposed to what works best in a Legacy-legal deck.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

This article may be of interest. From Jan 2010, but that writer sure called it right.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/articles...ild-things-are
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

This guy really up'd his crap post game.

I think the more creatures with cast triggers is the wrong direction, I'd rather get a spell countered then some fatty with a disgusting cast trigger ending the game and sitting there with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    This guy really up'd his crap post game.
    Is this supposed to be a compliment or an insult?

I think tribal decks(with core sets going away) and obviously prison decks will start declining. While combo decks wont get many upgrades, they will continue to thrive as long as WotC doesn't print even better disruption than what we already have(I doubt they'll print another free counterspell and you cant really print much better than thoughtseize when it comes to hand disruption. Creature based decks especially decks like Death and Taxes and Nic Fit will get the most upgrades. Control and Prison decks will probably start to decline because they aren't going to print good control cards in standard because they think it is unfun...
    Basically, the whole format is becoming more and more creature focused, you can even make a justifiable case to run Burn with as many as 20 creatures these days.

Creatures are getting better, which in turn means removal is getting better. With the shift to board presence mattering, combo is also getting worse. With combo getting worse, Force is getting worse and as such blue dominance is going down, though Force is powerful enough (to say nothing of Brainstorm) that blue's position as the formats top color will never go away.

Where the Modern meta is now, Legacy will be in another 5 years.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Basically, the whole format is becoming more and more creature focused, you can even make a justifiable case to run Burn with as many as 20 creatures these days.

Creatures are getting better, which in turn means removal is getting better. With the shift to board presence mattering, combo is also getting worse. With combo getting worse, Force is getting worse and as such blue dominance is going down, though Force is powerful enough (to say nothing of Brainstorm) that blue's position as the formats top color will never go away.

Those are pretty bold predictions there.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I did this in some post somewhere like a year ago but, if you look at a site like mtgtop8 or whatever and read the top card inclusions for all cards, you basically get your answer. Legacy plays old duals, Brainstorm, and the brokenest things from the last like 5 years of Magic. Jace, Delver, Dig Through Time, etc.

This post feels like a throwback to older times tbh -- a time whrn "Fish decks" where quaint oddities alongside Oath and Storm decks. The future is already here, more or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Well if blue gets worse combo gets better. Combo isnt going to decline unless there are bans...

That being said, legacy will not become like modern because modern is defined by fair nonblue decks which get crushed by combo in legacy.

Its been like this since Lorwyn (and I guess future sight, though goyf was probably unintended).

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

I think combo decks that focus on cheating stuff into play keep getting better and will continue to as long as Wizards keeps printing flashy, "overcosted" Mythics that cater to the casual/EDH crowd but end up being very powerful in Legacy too. Think Emrakul, Griselbrand, Omniscience, Enter the Infinite, etc. One of these hasn't come around in a little while now I think, but I expect others to break into Legacy in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Those are pretty bold predictions there.
    I don't know about that. Without getting into the Brainstorm ban argument, the existence of T2 and T3 combo in Legacy ensures that Force of Will is always going to remain a necessary police card to the format, and Force pushes things to blue.

On the creature front, it's a bit more bold and probably something of an unpopular prediction since Modern doesn't seem popular on these boards but with creature power creep the format is inevitably going to become more creature focused.

Well if blue gets worse combo gets better. Combo isnt going to decline unless there are bans...

That being said, legacy will not become like modern because modern is defined by fair nonblue decks which get crushed by combo in legacy.
    I mean in how the decks look, creature/removal counts, land counts, and so on not necessarily in color. Legacy is going to favor Blue just as in Modern Green and Red are the undisputed top 2 colors. That's not necessarily a bad thing either, and that's coming from someone who plays Blue in Modern but not in Legacy, meaning I do everything backwards.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

As far as creature power creep goes, Wizards just put a T1 Aggro deck out of nowhere on the map in form of the Eldrazi.

I doubt creature removal gets any better. AD was a fluke aimed at Legacy to combat Counterbalance. Removal in general gets overcosted to hell and back or gets more narrow in recent sets. The only way removal gets relevant in Legacy are "charm" type spells that can compensate their narrowness by doing other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post

I agree with this. I expect to see the extremely varied archetypal gameplans of Legacy get slowly melded together into a Modernesque world of mid-range interaction. I think Eldrazi is a harbinger of things to come; new strong creatures that provide fast enough clocks while being prison pieces, or working alongside prison pieces, will push things farther to the mid-range. Things are going to get grindier and grindier.

I think the overarching trend is that they will continue to push the envelop when it comes to "strong creatures that interact". (Thalia, the new Thalia, Vryn Wingmare, Thought-Knot Seer, Reclamation Sage, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Notion Thief, et cetera.) These creatures won't all be hits and find homes, but they're going to keep printing more and more, so the power shift is inclined in that direction. How long before we see a Rest in Peace or Flusterstorm on legs? I don't think creature-filled decks are going to get faster, just more interactive and controlling, which will make them more consistent.

Spells that power non-interactive combo (or heavy control), like Past in Flames (or Supreme Verdict), are much fewer and far between. Power will jolt back in that direction every know and then, but the long slide is into more decks having controlling interaction alongside creatures.

The flip side is that they will also continue to print more powerful creatures (and other permanents) on the top end, which makes reanimation and Show and Tell/ Sneak Attack/ Eureka "cheat things into play" combo strategies always circle around to being better and better. But I don't think they're really going to top Griselbrand and Emrakul, if they do it will just be another accidental hiccup on the road to the game being about interacting with creatures.

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Is this supposed to be a compliment or an insult?
    Compliment. You had some real doozies.

I think creature power creep is interesting to think about for the future, how long until Tarmogoyf has to grow to be as big as vanilla two drops?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I guess now...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Compliment. You had some real doozies.
    My sarcasmeter must be off... I read that as an insult. Unless your most recent response was sarcastic...

My brain hurts.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

I think prison decks were actually doing well lately, since how the meta shifted with the eldrazis. Stax decks and lands do really well against them.

Of course wizards don't really want to print more prisonesque permanents like cotv or trini, but overall they are doing well.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

A quick look since RTR:

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information