Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Bedlam Reveler [Eldrich Moon]

[SCD] Bedlam Reveler [Eldrich Moon]

This is about a recently spoiled card from Eldrich Moon.

Bedlam Reveler
    6RR
    Creature - Devil Horror

Bedlam Reveler Costs 1 less for each instant or sorcery card in your graveyard
    Prowess
    When Bedlam Reveler enters the battlefield discard your hand and draw 3 cards.

3/4
    In the spoiler thread, the suggestion was that it might fit into a delver style tempo list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Lets say a deck like the following:

2 Reveler
    4 Delver
    6 "non-spells"

18 Lands

18 Spells (at least 12 should be 1 cmc?)
    12 Mental note/faithless looting/Thought scour.

MN/FL put two random cards into your grave. Statistically, at least 1 will be another instant/sorcery. Faithless puts 5 random cards into grave. Statistically, at least 2.5 will be another instant/sorcery. With the draw, let's just assume you will cast at least two of these spells by the beggining of your turn 3 (so one turn 1, and another turn 2). That should give you at least 4 spells in the yard - maybe 7. Still with only 4, that means turn 2, you need to cast at least 1 other spell, and turn 3, you need to cast another spell prior to casting Reveler.

So by the time you cast reveler you would have played the following:

2 Mental note/faithless looting/Thought scour.
    3 Lands
    2 "spells"

Certainly doable. However, this also means that when you cast Reveler - you will be discarding at least 1 card.

----

Looking at the above we should be wondering if it is worth it

Edit: Those 18 spells would certaintly include 4 Brainstorm, 4 Gitaxian Probe, and 4 Lightning Bolt. Additionally, since you are in Blue, you will probably play 4 FOW. So the deck at that point is already built. You have 8 empty slots, 2 of which must be instants or sorceries and the others could also be non-creatures. . . but i jsut don't see that deck being . . . you know good.

Perhaps going all in on getting it out is the wrong approach?

I tend to think it's better suited to an approach like Brad Nelson's Jeskai Ascendancy deck

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...ndancy_co.html

For reference this would be the list with -4 Treasure Cruise +4 Reveler:

Creatures (12)

4 Fatestitcher
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Bedlam Reveler

Lands (18)

3 Arid Mesa
    1 Faerie Conclave
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    3 Volcanic Island

Spells (30)

4 Jeskai Ascendancy
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Mental Note
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Thought Scour
    1 Faithless Looting
    4 Gitaxian Probe

Sideboard

2 Pithing Needle
    3 Meddling Mage
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear
    1 Faerie Conclave

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Re: [SCD] Bedlam Reveler [Eldrich Moon]

Expedite to give it haste too?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Jeskai Ascendancy is fun as hell.

Unfortunately, it sucks in Legacy. My first attempt was going to be with TITI in a more control build than UR Tempo. But I don't think going hellbent works well with control. So I'm thinking Delver.

4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Monastery Swiftspear
    3 Bedlam Reveler

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce

3 Price of Progress
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Faithless Looting

17 lands
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Someone within R&D has a serious Ancestrall Recall addiction and needs to be taken into treatment asap.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I think everyone is overthinking the 6 instance/sorcery requirement and discard drawback.

Remember how everyone thought treasure cruise and dig would be hard to cast, and would require garbage like though scour and looting to work in a deck?

In UR delver, how many of the cards in the GY were not instances/scorceries? MAYBE 30% of them.

Imagine if TC cost 10U instead of 7U. It would not make a big difference. It would have still been a 4 of in UR delver, and probably still gotten banned.

This guy basically just requires 30% more cards in the GY to work, than TC with the added bonus of "put a tarmogoyf into play" for RR.

The "discard your hand" clause is irrelevant. If you have a hand with cards you want to keep you are already winning. If you are in top deck mode and you cast this guy, you are also winning. Where he is bad is in turn 1-3 where you can't really cast him.

I think this will definitely have a home in R based delver decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Someone within R&D has a serious Ancestrall Recall addiction and needs to be taken into treatment asap.
    They are thinking of us blue players but it cant be blue because tc/dtt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    They are thinking of us blue players but it cant be blue because tc/dtt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Red is just Blue's Puerto Rico, an occupied territory that's assimilating with the mainland as fast as it can.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

In a Delver deck, you are easily capable of emptying your hand rapidly and perhaps entirely by the time you've achieved the following criteria necessary to summon the Reveler:
    1) you've drawn a copy of the Reveler and have it in hand, ready for eventual casting,
    2) you have the requisite available in addition to perhaps some amount of generic mana to make up for less than the required number of Sorceries/Instants, and
    3) you filled your graveyard with enough spells to bring the generic cost of the Reveler down to or close to zero.

At this point (which is entirely possible as early as turn 3 or 4 in a typical Legacy game), the drawback of having to first discard your hand is either partially or completely mitigated by the nature of how quickly a Delver deck can cast its spells, especially if the deck was designed with this card in mind.

But here's the thing that makes this guy so over-the-top broken: it's not like you *have* to cast him at the first possible opportunity; you can simply sandbag a copy of the Devil while playing a typical Delver disruptive aggro/control role, casting your spells at an optimal pace and maximizing their effect, holding onto the Devil for casting at the perfect moment once you've completely exhausted your resources and actually need to refuel. That seems to be the correct approach towards playing this guy in RUG Delver; whereas perhaps in a straight UR list the best approach would just entail frantically flinging low-cost and 'free' spells like Gitaxian Probe and perhaps even semi-garbage such as Gutshot to quickly fill the graveyard, chaining these spells as fast as possible with only the intended goal of netting Prowess triggers in addition to casting back-to-back Draw 3s like you did during the Treasure Cruise era, all the while slinging all burn spells directly at the opponent's dome. Such an approach is rather crude in comparison to RUG's more strategically optimized deployment, but it's also competitive and viable -- or at least it was with Treasure Cruise.

The beauty of RUG Delver playing Reveler is that it could also do that sort of over-the-top aggressive approach if the matchup and gamestate warranted it; yet RUG is also capable of playing a very methodical control game that restricts its opponent's lines of play while putting them on a fast clock. Compared to its use as a draw 3 chain for the all-in type of games, in the more methodical control games Bedlam Reveler would serve a somewhat different function by being held back until the most optimal and guaranteed moment, rather than pushing all your chips in and hoping for the best in the aggro plan of attack.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

the problem with Bedlam is that you can't drop it turn 2, and you can't sculpt a hand prior to playing it. With all of those cantrips you're casting against combo to find your spell pierces you sure as hell don't want to discard them to reveler for 3 random-ass cards.
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by monovfox View Post
    the problem with Bedlam is that you can't drop it turn 2, and you can't sculpt a hand prior to playing it. With all of those cantrips you're casting against combo to find your spell pierces you sure as hell don't want to discard them to reveler for 3 random-ass cards.
    I don't see what you mean. If you can't play him t2 without profit, then don't do so. The same argument holds against Combo: either don't play him or, better yet, board him out for more disruptive spells.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12553&d=272433&f=LE

I've been goldfishing Reveler in place of Stormchaser in this build. It's bonkers!
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

I wonder if you could make a more controlling shell with 4 Bedlam Reveler along with 4 TITI (they play nice together since Reveler is a Horror) plus Snapcaster Mage since it works well with instants and sorceries in the graveyard and can get some value if you flip TITI and have to return it to your hand. Not sure if it would need another color or if it could be straight Blue/Red and do kinda a counter burn thing but it would be fun to test in any event.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Considering the EtB effect on Reveler, I think I would prefer it were not a horror. But I think a lot of folks feel as you do, and are tinkering with this idea. My titty deck is intentionally not red, but I do like these guys in the same deck. One significant caveat though, is that all of those creatures do not do their job without some planning. It makes the deck very bad at johnny-on-the-spot offense. Yes, control, but Legacy control decks that don't start with "m" and end with "iracles" have to present a clock when facing that rather popular deck. I don't like a deck design that starts with a bad matchup against the number one deck.

So, while reveler looks like it is at least turn four before you can cast it - and probably better on turn five so that you can use your hand first, I am going to stick with something between aggro and midrange for my first attempt.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post

So, while reveler looks like it is at least turn four before you can cast it - and probably better on turn five so that you can use your hand first, I am going to stick with something between aggro and midrange for my first attempt.
    On a different tack, I wonder what the crazy all-in reveler burn list would look like. ... This is probably terrible:

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Manamorphose

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Bump in the Night

4 Fireblast

4 Dangerous Wager
    4 Bedlam Reveler

4 Land Grant
    4 Rite of Flame

3 Taiga
    1 Bayou
    2 Badlands
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Mountain

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've always wanted to play Land Grant in a fair deck. I like it. A Gro style deck with Reveler seems sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

I think rufus has balls the size of cantaloupes to post a deck list with no blue mana. Land grant and Gitaxian Probe in the same deck makes for a strange game. I agree that it looks terrible. But hot damn it has style!

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I think rufus has balls the size of cantaloupes to post a deck list with no blue mana. Land grant and Gitaxian Probe in the same deck makes for a strange game. I agree that it looks terrible. But hot damn it has style!
    It's where I got to when I started looking for the fastest way to get reveler for RR on line in a burn deck. Is it really that far out there?

Honestly I think Dangerous Wager and Rite of Flame are the cards I'd look to cut first. They just don't do enough, or cost too much and replicate an effect that is better on the Reveler.

This would be a hilarious deck to play though.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Honestly I think Dangerous Wager and Rite of Flame are the cards I'd look to cut first. ...
    That's fair. Dangerous Wager is something I added at the end when filling out the last cards - there are definitely better choices.

This would be a hilarious deck to play though.
    I don't understand the strong reactions. It's mostly just "Burn: Apply directly to the forehead."

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Bedlam Reveler is the other rare in the Niblis of Frost Intro Pack. If you had this pegged for speculation purposes, sorry bro.

Thread Information