Thread: Tree of Perdition

Tree of Perdition

So i have a question about this interaction.

I activate Tree of perdition to swap my opponents life total with the tree, While that is on the stack i use a spell to switch the tree's power and toughness so that it is now 0 sending it to the graveyard. Then the tree's ability triggers which sets my opponents life. What does it set it to? The last thing that tree's toughness was right before it died or its toughness at the time the ability was activated.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Tree of Perdition

Tree needs to be in play for an exchange to work. If it dies, no values will change. When the Tree goes to toughness 0, the game will check SBAs and send it to the yard; the activated ability (presumably on the stack) will then fizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Tree needs to be in play for an exchange to work. If it dies, no values will change. When the Tree goes to toughness 0, the game will check SBAs and send it to the yard; the activated ability (presumably on the stack) will then fizzle.
    Hmm that does not seem correct. If i tap a prodigal sorcerer to do one damage and you kill it in response the ability does not fizzle. Take elephant graveyard even though the creature is in the yard you still gain the life equal to his toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondancerbb View Post
    Hmm that does not seem correct. If i tap a prodigal sorcerer to do one damage and you kill it in response the ability does not fizzle. Take elephant graveyard even though the creature is in the yard you still gain the life equal to his toughness.
    "Exchanges" are special in that they don't happen unless both pieces are in play during resolution.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moondancerbb View Post
    Fizzle isn't the correct word. The exchange ability resolves, but as one of the affected pieces is no longer on the battlefield, there is nothing to exchange with. You can't make a one-sided exchange.

701.8a. A spell or ability may instruct players to exchange something (for example, life totals or control of two permanents) as part of its resolution. When such a spell or ability resolves, if the entire exchange can't be completed, no part of the exchange occurs.

Example: If a spell attempts to exchange control of two target creatures but one of those creatures is destroyed before the spell resolves, the spell does nothing to the other creature.

Citing the rule is always good.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    701.8a. A spell or ability may instruct players to exchange something (for example, life totals or control of two permanents) as part of its resolution. When such a spell or ability resolves, if the entire exchange can't be completed, no part of the exchange occurs.

Example: If a spell attempts to exchange control of two target creatures but one of those creatures is destroyed before the spell resolves, the spell does nothing to the other creature.

Citing the rule is always good.
    This is exactly what i was looking for thank you guys.

Thread Information