Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

How do you guys feel about the Channelfireball sideboarding guide for Death and Taxes? I'm currently trying the same list and thought Collective Brutality might be good for the matchup but overall not sure what to take out.

Oct 2014
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by akwing00 View Post
    How do you guys feel about the Channelfireball sideboarding guide for Death and Taxes? I'm currently trying the same list and thought Collective Brutality might be good for the matchup but overall not sure what to take out.
    Brutality is excellent in the matchup. You can drop Unmasks to make room.

Quote Originally Posted by jroharo View Post
    Brutality is excellent in the matchup. You can drop Unmasks to make room.
    See now that's what I was wondering, when can you cut Thoughtseize vs cutting unmask? But thanks, when I saw the guide cut Chancellor I wasn't sure, cause I don't think I ever really have like cutting that card when sideboarding at all. Or at least it hasn't gone well for me personally.

Hey DNSolver, any chance you'll do a little write-up on how GP Louisville went for you? I've been testing your Chancellor-less build and really digging it, and I'd love to hear how it fared at the top level of competition.

Also, you mentioned this Twitch archive a while back: https://www.twitch.tv/originaloestrus/v/110793909
    It is unfortunately no longer available, I'm not familiar enough with Twitch archives to know, if it's gone now, is there any way it can be put back on there, or is it gone for good? Thanks!

I placed 36th at GP Louisville, but I wasn't playing this deck. Sorry to disappoint my fellow demon lords. To be clear, I still think the deck is great and very well-positioned, and I'm still keeping up with this thread.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post

If I were to run BR Reanimator with Tendrils this would be my list. http://imgur.com/a/QdMUv
    That's essentially the Children list I would run. Children and Tendrils do change some matchups considerably, specifically a) some combo matchups and b) decks that can answer your creatures relatively easily (D+T, Miracles, Stoneblade). I'm not even sure the Tendrils is necessary because you can probably establish a lock with Archetype + Iona by just looping Children until you can present a literally unbeatable boardstate.

Edit: I might cut a land for another Thoughtseize though.
    I love the ratios in this list.

10 fatties, of which 4 Griselbrand (can be cut down to 8 minimum if replaced by filtering, tutoring or manaless non-Chancellor disruption which is probably Daze)
    4 Entomb
    4 F.Looting / C.Study
    6 Disruption slots, of which 4 Unmask / FoW
    8 Mana Acceleration, of which 4 Petals
    12 Spells to cheat fatties in play, of which 4 Reanimate
    14 Lands, of which minimum 8 B fetches. If going down to 13-12, I would expect 1-2 Chrome Mox for land + Mox total to be 14.
    1 children / flex slot
    1 tendrils / flex slot

This feels very much like a solid core list to me.

Oct 2014
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by akwing00 View Post
    See now that's what I was wondering, when can you cut Thoughtseize vs cutting unmask? But thanks, when I saw the guide cut Chancellor I wasn't sure, cause I don't think I ever really have like cutting that card when sideboarding at all. Or at least it hasn't gone well for me personally.
    I had never considered cutting Chancellor before seeing that guide, and I haven't faced D&T yet online to try it out, but in theory I like at least trimming down on them for other threats that are more relevant (but still dodge karakas and/or swords). Chancellor does slow them down slightly, but we aren't really worried about their turn 1 so much as their turn 2 (rest in peace & containment priest) so chancellor doesn't really do much and tends to just die to STP.

That being said, I think that Brutality is much stronger than Unmask against D&T, especially since it provides an out to Containment Priest.

I've been playing around with the list below for the better part of a week. It went 4-0 last night at our local Legacy Weekly:

MONO-BLACK REANIMATOR 1.4

12 CREATURE
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Grave Titan
    4 Phyrexian Obliterator

14 MANA
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    7 Swamp
    1 Bayou

8 FAST MANA
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

8 DISRUPT
    4 Unmask
    4 Thoughtseize

8 TO GRAVE
    4 Entomb
    4 Putrid Imp

10 TO FIELD
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    2 Animate Dead

SIDEBOARD
    4 Reverent Silence
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

FEW NOTES
    - In the current meta (Delvers, Deathrites, Alluren) T2 - T3 Obliterator is excellent. Why not mainboard her?
    - Going mono-black laughs at Wasteland / Moons but, loses us card-draw from Faithless so...
    - We up the number of deal-with-me-or-else castable threats and get a better chance at winning longer games
    - We are still very fast just need to adjust our game a bit and potentially mulligan more aggressively

FUNNY FACT
    I opted to run Mono-Red Sneak instead and handed MBR to a local hustler. As it often happens when you lend decks out, I lost to my monster after 3 rounds of Wurms trampling over fair decks.

Aug 2016
    Göttingen

Quote Originally Posted by vieko View Post
    I've been playing around with the list below for the better part of a week. It went 4-0 last night at our local Legacy Weekly:

12 CREATURE
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Grave Titan
    4 Phyrexian Obliterator

14 MANA
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    7 Swamp
    1 Bayou

8 FAST MANA
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

8 DISRUPT
    4 Unmask
    4 Thoughtseize

8 TO GRAVE
    4 Entomb
    4 Putrid Imp

10 TO FIELD
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    2 Animate Dead

SIDEBOARD
    4 Reverent Silence
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

FEW NOTES
    - In the current meta (Delvers, Deathrites, Alluren) T2 - T3 Obliterator is excellent. Why not mainboard her?
    - Going mono-black laughs at Wasteland / Moons but, loses us card-draw from Faithless so...
    - We up the number of deal-with-me-or-else castable threats and get a better chance at winning longer games
    - We are still very fast just need to adjust our game a bit and potentially mulligan more aggressively

FUNNY FACT
    I opted to run Mono-Red Sneak instead and handed MBR to a local hustler. As it often happens when you lend decks out, I lost to my monster after 3 rounds of Wurms trampling over fair decks.
    Oh this looks sweet! It's a pity that it hasn't some filtering though.

P.S.: +1 envy points for having a Legacy Weekly!

If you play mono black I would include a playset of Collective Brutality (perhaps changing it with the playset of Putrid Imp)
    For me there is no reason to not play Collective Brutality. It's perfect for such a build.
    You could also include Lake of the Dead, but then again it makes you weaker to Wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by qomori View Post
    I haven't been tempted to test Chrome Mox, but I hadn't thought of the interaction with Chancellor. Doesn't help with Entomb/Reanimate or Faithless/Reanimate though--have you felt like you get more turn 1 Grisels pitching Chancellor like that?
    I moved to 2 chrome mox and ran it tonight, I like it, Its handy to get another mana source on turn 1/2 where you land drop and can keep going. Its also flexable for needing colors, Im unsure if its actually better than just having the lands, but its more explosive potentially. I used it on a abrupt decay, because I could not get a fetchland for my bayou. I could see this card being even better for a white sideboard, since it naturally pairs with CoTA after he did his thing.

I recently cut SSG, I am still unsure if I like it, more discard is nice, but vs delver SSG paid for dazes all day long. And there were plenty of times I just cast him and ran him to victory.

I get some Delver and Deathrite decks, but Aluren? When I was testing I just kept facing infinite Baleful Strixes, and that's terrible for Obliterator. Strix alone is the biggest reason why I stopped sideboarding Obliterator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I get some Delver and Deathrite decks, but Aluren? When I was testing I just kept facing infinite Baleful Strixes, and that's terrible for Obliterator. Strix alone is the biggest reason why I stopped sideboarding Obliterator.
    It is better MB on G1. for G2, I bring in Elesh and focus on getting to the combo kill early.

Quote Originally Posted by HansoRaptor View Post
    If you play mono black I would include a playset of Collective Brutality (perhaps changing it with the playset of Putrid Imp)
    For me there is no reason to not play Collective Brutality. It's perfect for such a build.
    You could also include Lake of the Dead, but then again it makes you weaker to Wasteland.
    I don't mind Brutality but prefer Imp (1CMC vs 2CMC, beats, discard at will). My only gripe against Lake (love the card) is getting it as the only land in my opening 7... that's a mandatory mull or timewalking yourself.

12 CREATURE
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Grave Titan
    4 Phyrexian Obliterator

14 MANA
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    7 Swamp
    1 Bayou

8 FAST MANA
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

8 DISRUPT
    4 Unmask
    4 Thoughtseize

8 TO GRAVE
    4 Entomb
    4 Putrid Imp

10 TO FIELD
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    2 Animate Dead

SIDEBOARD
    4 Reverent Silence
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

FEW NOTES

FUNNY FACT
    This looks fun. Could you run the Entomb package main instead of so many Grave Titans, or even put Annex back in as well for the Obliterators, (if you wanted to) then fit Fatal Push in the board? Something like Liliana of the Veil or Chains of Mephistopheles could be game breaking as well out of the board if you had room for it, this would make room and maybe even help the main? Probably belongs in another thread though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fairly obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Dark Ritual and Wild Cantor do produce mana. Pretending they don't won't change the function of the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    This looks fun. Could you run the Entomb package main instead of so many Grave Titans, or even put Annex back in as well for the Obliterators, (if you wanted to) then fit Fatal Push in the board? Something like Liliana of the Veil or Chains of Mephistopheles could be game breaking as well out of the board if you had room for it, this would make room and maybe even help the main? Probably belongs in another thread though.
    Not sure that running both Chains of M AND Griselbrand would be such a great idea...

Speaking of Fatal Push, did anyone test this already? It looks solid as is but am wondering whether Collective Brutality or Firestorm aren't still better (since they kill sthg and are discard outlet to bin us fatties).

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco111 View Post
    Not sure that running both Chains of M AND Griselbrand would be such a great idea...

Speaking of Fatal Push, did anyone test this already? It looks solid as is but am wondering whether Collective Brutality or Firestorm aren't still better (since they kill sthg and are discard outlet to bin us fatties).
    The deck in it's current form never ever wanted to play Disfigure so why would it want now?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I feel like this deserves a bump and looking into more.

After playing against the deck from the Delver side of things a lot more recently than before, I'm inclined to change my mind and agree with Jeff. The card disadvantage is very real, and I'm usually happy if Looting is being flashed back as it's so tempo negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I agree that you're beating Delver by Brute Force, but Faithless Looting is rarely a part of any Brute Force hand. You push your way through their hand by overwhelming Daze and Pierce with Ritual and Petal, and you often need Unmask + a black card as well. That takes a lot of actual cards to pull off, and they're prepared to punish you for not playing with a full hand. My postboard configuration against Delver, with no looting, is able to be much more aggressive at trying to win than a looting hand, especially one that's hoping looting finds part of the combo.

And remember, against Delver decks, binning a fatty isn't always a positive thing. If you're not immediately prepared to combo off, now it's much more vulnerable to deathrite or surgical than it is in your hand. If you're on the draw and they lead on turn 1 deathrite, and you have a hand of Land, Land, Faithless Looting, Griselbrand, Unmask, Thoughtseize, Exhume, you need a really, really good t1 looting to be in the game. You basically have to draw Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual or Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal. If you don't do that, then what do you discard? If you draw more fatties then you can discard two and hope your Exhume doesn't get dazed the next turn or that they don't also have surgical extraction. Otherwise you're probably stuck binning your unmask, which sucks because you really want to cast it.

So you lead on the looting, don't draw double petal. You have a Badlands in play, which your opponent can wasteland. You have Griselbrand, Land, Unmask, Thoughtseize, Exhume, and let's say Faithless Looting and Collective Brutality in hand. Now what do you discard? Obviously you keep the Exhume, the Brutality, and the Land, which means Thoughtseize, Unmask, Griselbrand, and Looting are your potential discards. You can discard the second Looting, but if your opponent has wasteland you'll want it. You can discard the griselbrand, but it will get eaten. You can discard your discard spells, but you need them to fight through the rest of the delver player's hand. In this case I'd probably discard the looting and the unmask and pray I don't get wastelanded. Then I can run the Brutality into their daze and hope they don't have it to kill the deathrite, but I can't discard the Griselbrand to the Brutality either because deathrite eats it.

My point, which I'm probably way overdoing here, is that you need a lot of resources to beat Delver. They have so many free spells they can cast to interact with you, so just going off before they can establish themselves isn't as good of a strategy as it is against Miracles or Death and Taxes or whatnot. And obviously there are faithless looting hands that utterly demolish delver. I'm not saying you can't beat them with it. I'm just saying that hands like the one I describe are far more typical than I would like. And that hand, which has a turn 2 combo with protection, couldn't beat a turn 1 Deathrite followed by Daze. Not exactly the highest of bars.

I appreciate the offer to test but the monoblack version I tested last night and was happy with plays 2 Liliana in the main, and I don't have $200 to buy them online at the moment. If I get it built to test I'll hit you up though. The only way I'll ever really convince people of this is by having success with it :)
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    I feel like this deserves a bump and looking into more.
    If you want to ramp up mana to hardcast stuff like Grave Titan or Keranos - Carpet of Flowers.

Activating Tortured Existence with Exhume on the stack is a super niche way to play through Surgical, DRS and Faerie Macabre.

If you want Planeswalker discard outlets - Liliana of the Veil, Nahiri, Jace Wryn's Prodigy. Liliana is the easiest to cast with a Dark Ritual, so she seems like the best fit.

If you want to force push your spells through - Overmaster, Vexing Shusher, Boseiju, Xantid Swarm, Defense Grid

If you want a more versatile Faithless Looting - Izzet Charm

If you feel that discarding a card as a cost for Collective Brutality to get rid of DRS is bad, Kolaghan's Command could also be what you are looking for (deal 2 & discard).

Keranos, God of Storms can also be a useful sb fatty. Not hit by Spell Pierce, indestructibility makes him a pain to deal with. Requires U to hardcast, though.

If you want a board clear - Pernicious Deed

If you want to counter or redirect activated abilities - Bind, Cursed Totem, Reroute, Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker

If you want to cheat creatures into play - Quicksilver Amulet, Elvish Piper

Random blue hate - Seedtime, REB, Ricochet Trap, Boil

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    If you want to ramp up mana to hardcast stuff like Grave Titan or Keranos - Carpet of Flowers.

Activating Tortured Existence with Exhume on the stack is a super niche way to play through Surgical, DRS and Faerie Macabre.

If you want Planeswalker discard outlets - Liliana of the Veil, Nahiri, Jace Wryn's Prodigy. Liliana is the easiest to cast with a Dark Ritual, so she seems like the best fit.

If you want to force push your spells through - Overmaster, Vexing Shusher, Boseiju, Xantid Swarm, Defense Grid

If you want a more versatile Faithless Looting - Izzet Charm

If you feel that discarding a card as a cost for Collective Brutality to get rid of DRS is bad, Kolaghan's Command could also be what you are looking for (deal 2 & discard).

Keranos, God of Storms can also be a useful sb fatty. Not hit by Spell Pierce, indestructibility makes him a pain to deal with. Requires U to hardcast, though.

If you want a board clear - Pernicious Deed

If you want to counter or redirect activated abilities - Bind, Cursed Totem, Reroute, Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker

If you want to cheat creatures into play - Quicksilver Amulet, Elvish Piper

Random blue hate - Seedtime, REB, Ricochet Trap, Boil
    All of the above are pretty much things that you either do already with maximum efficiency or don't want to be doing at all and therefore chose to play BR reanimator:

Ramping to hardcast creatures? No way.

Liliana of the Veil is of course a solid suggestion to nearly every black deck but at the end of the day it's a control card while this deck is the opposite of all control.

Forcing spells through? This is why you play discard and Chancellor. I personally would love to see Autumn's Veil get some uplift regarding this but likely not in this deck.

More versatile Faithless looting? It's very slow compared to Looting and comes with more vulnerable manabase. Charm is good in Stryfo's 4c reanimator but not here. This is a t1/t2 deck. Stryfo is prepared for longer games and there Charm shines.

Bothered by collective Brutality in corner cases? Just don't. Also, you can just kill DRS with Brutality without discarding anything - you don't have to escalate. If they have the counterspell, you won't kill the elf in either case.

Keranos? Why not but seems to have little impact. You can hardcast Grave Titan and Sire pretty much as easily as Keranos. In general, you don't want to be grinding like Keranos would make you.

Pernicious Deed? You shouldn't be sweeping the board outside some Elesh Norn or Massacre Wurm blowouts. Where do you even get the mana to activate Deed ? Also Novablast Wurm is a consideration against, say D&T and eldrazi. There are not many playable sweepers for artifacts in such deck as this. Pulverize comes into my mind and that's about it. Shattering Spree could also be a consideration if you fear MUd or stax of some sort.

Countering abilities? Why? There is literally only like DRS and Ooze that should worry you and the basic idea of this deck is to render them too slow. Cursed Totem also shuts down Griselbrand, which made me back in the days ditch it when I was playing reanimator.

Cheating creatures into play? Come on! Just play the deck as intended. Plan B is Stronghold Gambit or Show and Tell.

Hating blue? Your deck is supposed to be tuned to win on turns 1-2 through countermagic already. Blasts are never a bad idea, though. Also, most blue decks area actually slowed or shut down by Blood Moon.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Thread Information