Page 63 of 75 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1498

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Reanimate targets, so the rules regarding targeted objects apply. Reanimate would fizzle because the Griselbrand in the graveyard isn't recognized by the game of Magic as the same Griselbrand that you targeted originally. Same rules would apply to Animate Dead. However, Exhume does not target so while Exhume is still on the stack you could cast that unplayable card and get the Griselbrand in the graveyard.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Still running your multiple 5-0 list solver, or have you made any tweaks for the current meta?

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by sidewelljunky View Post
    Hi folks

I just saw a list with Pull from eternity in SB, found it interesting and wanted to have your thoughts

http://http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17626&d=309171&f=LE

Also, what's the ruling with let's say Grisel in grave, play reanimate, opponent responses with surgical, let surgical resolve (Rea still on the stack) and fetch into Scrub to play Pull from eternity ? Does Reanimate fizzle or does it put Grisel back on board ?
    It's a cute idea but you jump through more hoops than it's worth. I'd say if your super curious test yourself and post here with your findings!

Sorry I've been MIA mid terms finals and adult life have taken up all my time. I have three weeks off in December between classes and plan to get some more data in then.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    It's a cute idea but you jump through more hoops than it's worth. I'd say if your super curious test yourself and post here with your findings!

Sorry I've been MIA mid terms finals and adult life have taken up all my time. I have three weeks off in December between classes and plan to get some more data in then.
    I probably won't, I find it interesting but I think not sufficient enough.

Otherwise I am on the 3/3/2 with white splash version (Blood moon SB) ; I have a little competitive tournament saturday and I'll try to post reports.

I am also playing 13 lands (8 fetch 2 Badlands 1 Scrub 2 Swamp + 1 Mox) and it works fine for me (quite better than 12 and 2 moxes) but today I am questionning, why 2 swamps ? Is it better like this or with 3 Badlands/1 Swamp ? (except precisely when you have Moon in your SB, of course you'll always want 2 swamps)
    Last edited by sidewelljunky; 11-30-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewelljunky View Post
    Hi folks

I just saw a list with Pull from eternity in SB, found it interesting and wanted to have your thoughts

http://http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17626&d=309171&f=LE

Also, what's the ruling with let's say Grisel in grave, play reanimate, opponent responses with surgical, let surgical resolve (Rea still on the stack) and fetch into Scrub to play Pull from eternity ? Does Reanimate fizzle or does it put Grisel back on board ?
    Never tried it myself, but I suppose the Pull's from Eternity aren't only there to dodge exiling hate, but also to enable chrome mox / Unmask interactions. No idea if that makes playing PFE's interesting enough though.

Edit: just googled mox-PFE interaction, apparently mox doesnt provide mana anymore when the exiled card isn't exiled anymore! So tap it first before you pull it

Sep 2015
    Vancouver, Canada

Hey y'all. I dusted off my Exhumes last weekend and ended up top 4 in small-ish (about 30 people) local tournament here in Vancouver. There are lots of decks running quite a bit of permission in my meta right now, but I've noticed over the weeklies leading up to this past weekend that people seemed to be going lighter on graveyard hate, so it felt like the right time to draw 7s.

My list is posted here. Pretty standard mainboard with a green splash for the side. In the side, I had a 4/3 split of Decay/Silence, the big pig, 2 Faerie Macabre, 3 Blood Moons (expecting a lot of Grixis and Pile), and a couple of Spirit Guides.

I won't do a full breakdown, but the Blood Moons were useless (I ended up playing Miracles three times and Burn once) even though I still like them against some of the greedier mana bases. I definitely got lucky as well. I had to decay one Containment Priest in 14-games and got Surgical'd once (and didn't see any when I resolved discard spells), plus Burn is basically a bye.

Losses were to my buddy on Lands who shoved a 20/20 down my throat turn 2, and surgical'd me before making Marit Lage turn 3 in game 2. And the other was to Miracles in the semis, where we had an epic game 3 and his blind miracled Entreat was his only out to end it.

Drawing 7 is still the best feeling in Legacy, short of maybe watching your opponent read Archetype, look at their hand, and look back at you looking sad. :P

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by qomori View Post
    Hey y'all. I dusted off my Exhumes last weekend and ended up top 4 in small-ish (about 30 people) local tournament here in Vancouver. There are lots of decks running quite a bit of permission in my meta right now, but I've noticed over the weeklies leading up to this past weekend that people seemed to be going lighter on graveyard hate, so it felt like the right time to draw 7s.

My list is posted here. Pretty standard mainboard with a green splash for the side. In the side, I had a 4/3 split of Decay/Silence, the big pig, 2 Faerie Macabre, 3 Blood Moons (expecting a lot of Grixis and Pile), and a couple of Spirit Guides.

I won't do a full breakdown, but the Blood Moons were useless (I ended up playing Miracles three times and Burn once) even though I still like them against some of the greedier mana bases. I definitely got lucky as well. I had to decay one Containment Priest in 14-games and got Surgical'd once (and didn't see any when I resolved discard spells), plus Burn is basically a bye.

Losses were to my buddy on Lands who shoved a 20/20 down my throat turn 2, and surgical'd me before making Marit Lage turn 3 in game 2. And the other was to Miracles in the semis, where we had an epic game 3 and his blind miracled Entreat was his only out to end it.

Drawing 7 is still the best feeling in Legacy, short of maybe watching your opponent read Archetype, look at their hand, and look back at you looking sad. :P
    Glad you had fun and glad you came to the same conclusion about Blood Moon, it is useless in this Archetype.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

By the time you get a Blood Moon down you could have already won if you hadn't diluted your game plan with Blood Moon...

Hi, long time lurker, just wanted to give my thanks to this thread for helping me with my list. Here's my list that recently 5-0 ed a league.

4 Dark Ritual
    3 Unmask
    1 Grave Titan
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Badlands
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Swamp
    1 Chrome Mox
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

1 Collective Brutality
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Duress
    3 Show and Tell
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Archetype of Endurance

I've tried the green and white sideboard plans and I feel like the other options aren't as proactive as show and tell. Gambit is terrible against anything that has creatures because then you want to strip their hand of both permission and creatures instead of just ignoring their creatures. Echoing Truth is comparable to abrupt decay, sometimes better sometimes worse, its nice to be able to bounce leylines and marit lages. I still get confused as to what to sideboard out in each matchup, though. Is Faithless Looting really that bad against deathrite shaman?

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by tora-kun View Post
    Is Faithless Looting really that bad against deathrite shaman?
    In my opinion it is not bad, it allows you to dig for answers, and digging is a premium in this deck. I usually board out 1-3 fast mana and an irrelevant fatty and or some combination of discard depending on the MU.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

I’ve really been struggling with the lands, maverick, and DnT matchups here lately. My strategy has been get a fatty on board ASAP G1 and try to ride it to victory and G2 try to tin fins them out with a children of korlis chain but while the children line has won me a few games idk if the sideboard slot could be better used for a different tech creature (inkwell, sire, keranos, etc.). Do you side out some number of chancellors in these matchups seeing as they aren’t FoW decks and chancellor can be dealt with fairly easily? Maybe I’ve been overthinking my G1 creature and should just go for griselbrand in almost every situation?

Here’s my list for reference:
    2 Badlands
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Animate Dead
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

Sideboard:
    1 Archetype of Endurance
    1 Children of Korlis
    4 Faerie Macabre
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Elesh Norn
    1 Massacre
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Serenity
    2 Wear // Tear

I bring in needle, archetype, and children in all of those matchups but bring in the wear // tears & massacre against DnT/Maverick and bring in the serenities against lands because they often have chalice. I’ve been experimenting with what comes out and haven’t really nailed that down yet.

I have a bit of an odd list, sideboard is definitely a mess. It's teched out to fight the local meta since we're overrun with fair decks/delver over here.(that, and I don't feel the need to board much against other combo decks given our favorable matchup against most of them as it is) Some cards need more testing but it's been pretty successful.

Creatures: 10
    3 Griselbrand
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    2 Archfiend of Ifnir

Spells: 36
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Exhume
    4 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Unmask

Land: 14
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp

Sideboard
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    2 Monastery Mentor
    1 Grave Titan
    3 Wear/Tear
    1 Collective Brutality
    2 Stronghold Gambit
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pithing Needle

The little tricks I could do with Archfiend of Ifnir haven't come up often (i.e. getting around DRS/Surgical exiling your only Exhume target or opponents countering Entomb, or alternative t1/t2 lines) but the card has been a house against fair decks and makes mid-game Reanimate less risky and is also a fairly easy hardcast.

Monastery Mentor was in there before I added in the Archfiend and I don't think I need it anymore; the card was incredibly strong against decks that fought really low to the ground but it was useless against other fair matchups with bigger creatures. I want to cut it for something to improve Chalice/prison matchups since those are near-unwinnable for me right now unless I turn 1 them on the play or reveal Chancellor on the draw. It also allows me to run something closer to the conventional green splash since Mentor IMO was my primary reason for the white splash over green, aside from the absurd corner cases where I'm hardcasting my white fatties. That said I don't know how effective Abrupt Decay is in the Chalice matchups if Wear/Tear isn't cutting it either even when the opponent doesn't have Chalice on 2.
    Last edited by TokenMaster; 12-06-2017 at 03:41 PM.

New 5-0 (should have been 4-1) tonight after I was messing around with some fun sideboard plans. I've been enjoying the Mentor sideboard plan out of my blue-based TinFins lists, and I was trying to make that work for this deck. However, this deck runs fewer lands (I was on 12 until recently I went to 13, cutting the second Chrome Mox after finding some math in the TinFins thread that showed that the 2nd Mox was bad), so you can't cast 3 mana creatures as quickly/easily and maintain a Mentor through a Wasteland or 2. List:

4 Griselbrand
    4 Chancellor
    1 Iona
    1 Tidespout
    4 Entomb
    4 Looting
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask (this card seems so delicious after not playing it for awhile)
    3 Badlands (want 3 if playing Young Pyromancer)
    8 fetch
    2 Swamp (want 2 basics if playing Pack Rat)

Sideboard:
    4 Pack Rat
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Cryptbreaker
    1 Archetype of Endurance (still have to beat Death and Taxes)
    2 Cabal Therapy (I put these in as my last two slots, they will be changed...)

R1: Czech 2-0 (opponent misclicks to lose G1 in a weird scenario where I put myself dead to a burn spell and they misclick Kolaghan's Command). G2 Pack Rat mops up.

R2: Mirror 2-1 boarded in Pyromancer over Exhume on the draw.

R3: Sneak and Show 2-0 reanimated their Griselbrand

R4: Sneak and Show 2-0 reanimated their Griselbrand

R5: BUG Delver? 2-1. G1 Opponent plays DRS on 1 and I'm a turn slow, but they for some reason TAP their DRS to do something on their turn after I fetch Delta-> Thoughtseize -> take Force of Will. Kind of a questionable play that immediately cost him the game when I go Entomb Reanimate on my turn. G2 I turn 1 Entomb Reanimate but he has the Surgical (had to go for it in the face of DRS). My follow-up Cryptbreaker was awful, did nothing vs a flipped Delver. G3 Pack Rat mops up.

I realize that I was very fortunate in my pairings so don't assume this deck is broken. Pack Rat was pretty impressive, but if you miss on land drops or get Wastelanded it can do NOTHING without fast mana... I didn't get a chance to cast Pyromancer in a non-Griselbrand setting so I don't know how good he is.

Sideboard Changes coming up:

-4 Cryptbreaker -2 Cabal Therapy +6 ?
    Pyromancer?

I have 6 slots to further facilitate a transformative plan, and Pyromancer may or may not be good. Let me know in the comments. I am considering Bitterblossom after having rejected Gurmag Angler/Tasigur/Tombstalker, Goblin Rabblemaster, Mentor, and Stoneforge.

Edit: Just caught up on the thread and want to address some things:

Blue sideboard looks good. Keep at it if you enjoy it and are having success.

I never board out Faithless Looting.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    New 5-0 (should have been 4-1) tonight after I was messing around with some fun sideboard plans. I've been enjoying the Mentor sideboard plan out of my blue-based TinFins lists, and I was trying to make that work for this deck. However, this deck runs fewer lands (I was on 12 until recently I went to 13, cutting the second Chrome Mox after finding some math in the TinFins thread that showed that the 2nd Mox was bad), so you can't cast 3 mana creatures as quickly/easily and maintain a Mentor through a Wasteland or 2. List:

4 Griselbrand
    4 Chancellor
    1 Iona
    1 Tidespout
    4 Entomb
    4 Looting
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Thoughtseize
    8 fetch

Sideboard:
    4 Pack Rat
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Cryptbreaker

R1: Czech 2-0 (opponent misclicks to lose G1 in a weird scenario where I put myself dead to a burn spell and they misclick Kolaghan's Command). G2 Pack Rat mops up.

R2: Mirror 2-1 boarded in Pyromancer over Exhume on the draw.

R3: Sneak and Show 2-0 reanimated their Griselbrand

R4: Sneak and Show 2-0 reanimated their Griselbrand

R5: BUG Delver? 2-1. G1 Opponent plays DRS on 1 and I'm a turn slow, but they for some reason TAP their DRS to do something on their turn after I fetch Delta-> Thoughtseize -> take Force of Will. Kind of a questionable play that immediately cost him the game when I go Entomb Reanimate on my turn. G2 I turn 1 Entomb Reanimate but he has the Surgical (had to go for it in the face of DRS). My follow-up Cryptbreaker was awful, did nothing vs a flipped Delver. G3 Pack Rat mops up.

I realize that I was very fortunate in my pairings so don't assume this deck is broken. Pack Rat was pretty impressive, but if you miss on land drops or get Wastelanded it can do NOTHING without fast mana... I didn't get a chance to cast Pyromancer in a non-Griselbrand setting so I don't know how good he is.

Sideboard Changes coming up:

-4 Cryptbreaker -2 Cabal Therapy +6 ?
    Pyromancer?

I have 6 slots to further facilitate a transformative plan, and Pyromancer may or may not be good. Let me know in the comments. I am considering Bitterblossom after having rejected Gurmag Angler/Tasigur/Tombstalker, Goblin Rabblemaster, Mentor, and Stoneforge.

Edit: Just caught up on the thread and want to address some things:

Blue sideboard looks good. Keep at it if you enjoy it and are having success.

I never board out Faithless Looting.
    I would consider Bitterblossom too. SB: 4x Pack Rat, 4x Bitterblossom, 4x Pyromancer, 2x CB (or AD but then you have to add Bayou and risk of being wasted is higher), 1x Archetype. If you go for the transformative plan, do you board in 12 cards at once? If you just board in 8 transformative cards (4x Rat + 4x Bitterblossom) you can go back to 2x Badlands and add extra swamp (total 3x) in order the risk of your duals being wasted drops again.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

DNSolver, I was messing around with a tweak on the old Young Frankenstein as a BR splash only and it feels similar to this. It is not a transformational board thing which is why I never posted but it is doing similiar things as what you are. Personally I don't like the transform option here, too few lands and not enough can trips do not support this to function like the Esper variant does. my question is though how did you miss brutality? Unmask does feel strong when it is.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by ottomanottoman View Post
    Maybe I’ve been overthinking my G1 creature and should just go for griselbrand in almost every situation?
    The answer is almost always yes. Think of Griselfather as our equivalent of Ad Nauseum, it is OUR engine that always our deck to do unfair things. Very few situations will occur when it is not correct to just jam it. Some of them are as the following

- If you reanimate Griselfather and cannot draw cards and your opponent will
    - Kill him for sure when you pass the turn
    - Kill you on the next turn
    - If you can reanimate and draw cards and your opponent will
    - Kill you from Burn but you aren't sure
    - Kill you from a combo and you don't have enough fast mana or mana in general to interact with them even if you draw interactive piece
    - Your wife goes into labor

Very few situations off the top of my head, all involve losing, that I can think of make it so slamming Griselfather is not just correct.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post

4 Griselbrand
    4 Chancellor
    1 Iona
    1 Tidespout
    4 Entomb
    4 Looting
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Thoughtseize
    8 fetch

Sideboard:
    4 Pack Rat
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Cryptbreaker
    I've been leaning toward the U splash and toying with a sideboard of
    4 Pack Rat
    4 Show and Tell
    4 ancient tomb
    1 children of korlis
    1 archfiend of ifnir
    1 archetype of Endurance

EDIT:

Pack Rat and Show and Tell continue to be all-stars post board, however the ancient tombs were too cute, many hands have been made very awkward by the addition of colourless lands. I like being able to shore up the land count by 2-3 for post board matchups though, a couple fetches and/or Urborg may be a better way to go. Archfiend proved to be worth the slot both coming out turn 1 and going face 4x and coming out late into a griselbrand to end step wipe their board.
    Last edited by Orion121; 12-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

I'm seeing multiple 5-0 lists sporting Sire lately. Is that card actually worth running now with all the Delver variants running around?

Tidespout and Iona are both still better vs Delver than Sire when on the draw. Tidespout can bounce their stuff while clocking in for 5 a turn, and at least Iona shuts off a color (blue or red, depending on life total, or black vs BUG Delver with Liliana) and clocks pretty fast - fast enough in the air to keep up against Pyromancer especially once blue spells are shut off.

Sire gets chump-blocked by Pyromancer tokens or all of their creatures, so: unless you're making it T1 on the play, like I have said before on this thread, Sire is going to be worse.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Ah ha! I knew if anything would ever draw you out it would be mention of SoI! :D

Thread Information