Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1498

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

How do people feel about cutting a griselbrand in a postboard game, in case of surgical? I feel like having more fatties with different names makes recovering using brutality or looting easier as there are more non-griselbrand creatures left in your deck.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kofurea View Post
    How do people feel about cutting a griselbrand in a postboard game, in case of surgical? I feel like having more fatties with different names makes recovering using brutality or looting easier as there are more non-griselbrand creatures left in your deck.
    Maybe take out one but not 4. Also this dank meme describes how the Griselfather feels about your suggestion.

That is a good meme. There was one time on Paul Cheon's stream where he zoomed in on Griselbrand's art and asked the stream, "How does he eat?" and I got a good laugh out of that one.

I never cut a Griselbrand. No real surprise there. Realistically, if you are being Surgical'd, you either:

a) Kept a turn 1 that relied on no interaction turn 1 (matchup dependent, could be correct)

b) Had to go for it to avoid DRS or Relic turning on (correct)

c) Punted by going too fast post-board when you didn't have to, a real problem when Surgical is in the format

d) Never had a chance anyway because their hand was nuts

None of these problems are really resolved by going down on creatures. In most matchups, either Tidespout or Iona is bad and you can cut that one first. Then you shave a fast mana or a discard spell and you've made room for 2-3 slots, which in most cases is all you need. You only need more slots against Leyline + Chalice decks, where they won't have Surgical and you would rather have more creatures to be able to discard to hand size through a Chalice.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

Piggybacking off the "Keep or Mull" from a few pages ago, I just encountered a hand where I'm pretty sure I made a mistake.

Situation: Game 3 against a BUG Leovold DRS deck, which has shown you surgical in game 2.

Opening hand (play): Bloodstained Mire, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Reanimate, Exhume, Griselbrand

Since this hand falls flat on its face against surgical, do we consider muliganning this?
    If not, do we go for t1 Griselbrand with out fingers crossed?
    Do we keep and wait to see if we draw discard? (but allowing our opponent to potentially ponder / brainstorm / flusterstorm by giving them a first landdrop)

I chose to keep and try for t1 Griselbrand and "make him have it", which he did. I'm feeling like I've made a mistake, but I'm not sure what the actual correct line would be.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Piggybacking off the "Keep or Mull" from a few pages ago, I just encountered a hand where I'm pretty sure I made a mistake.

Situation: Game 3 against a BUG Leovold DRS deck, which has shown you surgical in game 2.

Opening hand (play): Bloodstained Mire, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Reanimate, Exhume, Griselbrand

Since this hand falls flat on its face against surgical, do we consider muliganning this?
    Do we keep and wait to see if we draw discard? (but allowing our opponent to potentially ponder / brainstorm / flusterstorm by giving them a first landdrop)

I chose to keep and try for t1 Griselbrand and "make him have it", which he did. I'm feeling like I've made a mistake, but I'm not sure what the actual correct line would be.
    Sort of new to the deck but my 2 cents is I like the keep but you could have gone for reanimating a different creature than griselbrand so the griselbrand in your hand doesn't get stripped away. Jamming T1 is what this deck is built to do so I don't think it's necessarily wrong to "make them have it" especially since you're only 1 piece away from going off again. BUG leovold is probably going to have a hard time getting rid of any giant monster you can get out (sans using edict) so it doesn't have to be griselbrand.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I also like going for it, you minimize the amount of interaction G1 basically have FoW or Surgical or you win. I mean you can keep if you think you're darling discard soon but it's risky. I would go for it or try to set up a potentially double fatty in the yard and exhume to play around surgical.

I'd play around Surgical just because I hate wasting the most powerful card in the deck, Entomb. With the hand above I'd draw, discard GB and pass. 99% of the time they won't Surgical until you cast a reanimation spell unless they are a scrub. Next turn fetch Swamp, ritual Exhume. If they Surgical at this point I'd respond with Entomb > Tidespout and put them on a 4-turn clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

I've been getting the hang of the deck more and more, thanks for all the feedback!
    I'm playing the legacy challenge in 1,5 hours and a 2k event next weekend, so I'll most likely type up a small report, with most likely questions about situation where I was unsure what to do.

If they don't have Surgical but cast Thoughtseize instead, taking Entomb would be pointless since Griselbrand is already in the yard. Exhume will get discarded but you still have 11 reanimation spells in your 51 card library, chances are you're going to draw at least 1 of them in your next 4 turns.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    I'd play around Surgical just because I hate wasting the most powerful card in the deck, Entomb. With the hand above I'd draw, discard GB and pass. 99% of the time they won't Surgical until you cast a reanimation spell unless they are a scrub. Next turn fetch Swamp, ritual Exhume. If they Surgical at this point I'd respond with Entomb > Tidespout and put them on a 4-turn clock.
    If you're on the play g3 you need to basically time walk yourself with this line though it plays around surgical it just gives opponent more time to falter. This will vary based on what you draw but I'm only a fan of your line if you're on the draw.

The issue with the hand above is that you are on the play. You can't draw discard without giving your opponent essentially infinite turns. If you pass first turn and discard turn 2, you are opening yourself up to DRS activation. Waiting against blue decks means that you are opening yourself up to Flusterstorm, or Brainstorm into Force of Will, besides random other grave hate such as Cage, Tormod's Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, Nihil Spellbomb, etc. I've seen Spellbomb and Surgical out of 10-color Leovold decks.

The other issue is that if you keep, you have kept 7 on the play with the most unfair playable deck in the format. If a blue opponent doesn't keep turn 1 interaction, they are a questionable player. Determing the experience level of your opponent in G1/G2 is essential to this decision. In some hands with multiple possible lines, you can snap keep a 7 and see how low they mulligan to evaluate what line to take (typically if they mulligan low, I will try to play a bit conservatively to maximize the effect of starting with more cards).

If you mulligan, you want to find either a discard spell as well as a playable hand, or a Chancellor and a turn 1 to beat Surgical reliably. Those are okay odds assuming you sideboarded minimally using my list, so you could consider a mulligan.

If you go for it with that hand, you get Griselbrand.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

May 2015
    PDX

I assume you're on the play in this g3. This is a pretty easy Mire, Pass -> fetch Badlands once they've shown you not Wasteland, and Entomb. If it resolves, bin creature in this order: Jin Jitaxias, Iona, Elesh, Grave Titan, Sire, Tidespout, Chancellor, Grisel. You have a black source in play and 2x Dark Rit in hand, prioritize hardcast backup plan to maximize useful topdecks or redundant reanimation plan of Looting -> discard Grisel.

If you topdecked Thoughtseize or Unmask, the plan can change to Rit -> discard; potentially discard their creature and Reanimate it. If you topdeck Coll. Brutality, you're only line is Rit -> Coll. discard Grisel modes discard & kill target DRS -> Rit -> Exhume. You scoop if opponent has a god hand i.e. green source, DRS, FoW targeting Brutality, FoW targeting Exhume, Surgical for Reanimate. The scenario is more convoluted if they have elected to pass with Fluster up.

Yeah, on the play, I'd still draw-go and go off based on what I have in hand, would play around Surgical. I'd wait to pick up discard off the top and in worst case scenario respond when DRS is cast. It would be very difficult to recover after losing 7 cards because of a greedy play against an extraction.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

Ok, so as promised a small report of my legacy challenge experience, playing mostly the DNS list, with the only change being -2 Faerie macabre, +1 coffin purge, +1 duress in the board, as I've liked duress more since I'm expecting more surgical decks than reanimator mirrors.
    Formatted as following:
    Roundnumber: Archetype
    Gamenumber (Play/Draw, number of cards kept in opener) Opening hand
    Small report about how the game went
    Sideboard changes (if any)

If you read this and find any of my keeps questionable, I would love to hear that and learn from people who have been reanimating Griselbrand longer than me.

R1: Dredge Quad Lazor
    G1: (D, 7) Swamp - Bayou - TS - TS - Grisel - Looting - Animate Dead
    End up having to thoughtseize myself, but this sets me up for the therapy that was dredged t1. I figure that it isnt going to get better, and that my most likely way to win is peeling a new reanimation spell. I manage to do that, but die on t3 to too much power
    SB: I chose to board in my graveyard hate over 2 brutalities and the tide, and board no anti hate due to my quick search finding that they rarely have any hate besides a few tormods crypts
    G2: (P, 6) Bayou - Entomb - Reanimate - Thoughtseize - Chancellor - Ritual
    I ritual thoughtseize t1, see looting + confluence + confluence + GGT + Bridge + Therapy. Figure that going for griselbrand might get me overwhelmed, so decided to take the looting and go for iona on black, which gets the concession
    SB: Figured I wanted children in my 60 during g2, so decided to cut another brutality. Usually it seems youre suppost to board down on fast mana, but it felt really wrong against this deck and brutality seemed extremely slow.
    G3: (D, 7) Bayou - Bloodstained - Chancellor - Grisel - Faithless - Ritual - Animate Dead
    Mainly kept due to the power of chancellor, and a turn 2 reanimation. Opponent fails to produce a turn 1 play, so i loot into more rituals and animate deads, discarding the two fatties. He loots and responds to animate dead by macabring my two fatties, making me feel like I shouldnt have dropped both in the yard. Opponent goes a bit slow, but can macabre me a 2nd time, and flips an memories journey from a dredge, which I cannot beat.

- Loss, 0-1 -

R2: Some Root Maze Stasis deck?
    G1: (D, 3) Animate - Animate - Reanimate
    Mulliganned to three, not a close to keepable hand before that. My opponent starts on root maze, crop rotates to forsaken city and enlighten tutors for a stasis. I have never seen the deck before, but its obviously some kind of tedious lock deck. I put myself into a position to draw a few rituals to combo off through the lock, and on turn 23 (yea lol) i decide to rit + entomb + double reanimate to get tidespout + something else on to the field and bounce his board to still win
    SB: Seen a ton of his deck, very hard to figure out what is good. Decide on the duresses and 2 decaysover iona (as he played 3 different rainbow lands) and three brutalities
    G2: (D, 6) Marsh Flats - Entomb - Reanimate - Exhume - Chancellor - Looting
    Hand seemed good for the matchup. Draw a griselbrand, decide on looting, discarding two fatties after drawing a 2nd grisel and chancellor, after which he rest in peaces me. Figured out that i probably should have boarded the reverent silences, to break the stasis lock. Opponent drops karakas, and it seems to get very hard to win. I decide to go for it on turn 25, but he has double misdirect and I only had one discard spell and just enough decays. So with less cards in hand I deck first, gg
    SB: Boarding in the silences, dont know what I was thinking. Saw 53 cards of his deck, and decide to board the duresses back out.
    G3: (P, 4) Bloodstained Mire - Petal - Entomb - Chancellor
    Again mulliganing badly, thought I could do better than my 7, but got promptly punished. I get RIPd on turn 2, and start my process of building up a hand that can beat this. Turn 19, I can setup a turn with decay into double reverent silence, which prompts the concession

- Win, 1-1 -

R3: DnT
    G1: (P, 5) Thoughtseize - Chrome mox - Badlands - Bloodstained - Entomb
    Again mulliganning badly, to what was basicly a mull to 4, but I figured it wouldnt get better than this. Thoughtseize him, see a ton of good cards against me, but am able to get a t4 tidespout (he had karakas) + thoughtseize off, but I see 2 flickerwisp + 1 stp (after tsing the first stp), which makes me unable to ever block or race
    SB: Boarding Archetype, Children, all decays, over 2 rits, 2 chancellor, 1 mox and 1 exhume.
    G2: (P, 5) Chancellor, Looting, Looting, Rit, Flats
    Bad hand, hoping that the lootings will fix a lot. Looting drew and dropped fatties, but was doing very little for a very long time, and containment + mom locked me out

- Loss, 1-2 -

R4: Esper Stoneblade
    G1: (D, 7) Mire - Flats - Rit - Rit - Grisel - Brutality - Reanimate
    A good 7. Drawing a new reanimation spell after a t1 thoughtseize gives me a t1 griselbrand, which is an easy victory
    SB: Children, Archetype and two decay over 2 rits, mox and tidespout. Thinking about duress, but unsure about what I would cut, so I left it
    G2: (D, 5) Swamp - Brut - Rit - Grisel - Chancellor
    Unexciting hand, but a good way to beat surgical. T2 thoughtseize + surgical gets rid of my grisel, and a 2nd surgical gets my chancellors, basicly making it too hard to reanimate anything
    G3: (P, 7) Swamp - Mire - Thoughtseize - Petal - Looting - Archetype - Grisel
    No reanimation, but a way to deal with surgical and a looting. Thoughtseize, seeing thoughtseize, surgical and rip with lands, chose to take the rip. Also chose cast the looting, to not get it thoughtseized and surgicalled, but drew a grisel and a land which made the thoughtseize + surgical empty my entire hand. Got myself into a position of topdecking in order to reanimate archetype to go the distance. I get the archetype on the field, but my opponent has a TNN, and follows up with a 2nd tnn, basicly leaving me without outs to ever attack before those go the distance

- Loss 1-3 -

R5: Four Horsemen
    G1: (P, 5) Badlands - Chancellor - Looting - Exhume - Reanimate
    I keep on mulling, but this hand is pretty deece. I loot into a pair of lands, and decide to go for a chancellor after being t1 sea+probe'd which gets forced. After a few more reanimation spells, I stick a chancellor while he has a basalt monolith. His hand is so destroyed by all the forces he cast, that he cant find the 2nd combo piece
    SB: Chose to board the duresses and decays over the usual 3 fast mana and 2 brutalities
    G2: (D, 7) Mire - Flats - Chancellor - Iona - Looting - Entomb - Reanimate
    A good 7. I get a turn 2 griselbrand after my looting got forced, but he topdecks ponder into mesmeric orb to combo out. He had a labman but no way to draw, so i got another turn, but 4 bridges made too big of a board presence for me to win. Makes me miss the iona in the board
    SB: Boarded in the children, to combo faster
    G3: (P, 7) Flats - Swamp - Duress - Thoughtseize - Looting - Entomb - Griselbrand
    Kept due to two discard spells, and any of my reanimation spells being live. I duress him and see omniscience + griselbrand after seeing his entire deck g2. His hand is contrained on mana, so I take his only cantrip. I t3 griselbrand, draw 14 but find literal 0 manasources (including land). Dont get punished, turn 4 i can bounce his entire board and lock his entire hand with iona with the exception of the card on top, and thats good enough

- Win 2-3 -

R6: Eldrazi
    G1: (D, 6) Badlands - Animate - Exhume - Brutality - Iona - Chancellor
    I'm not sure about this hand, but any land makes this hand good, and it has a way to beat DRS. Scried Rit to the top. Opponent leads on eye, and I chose to rit + brutality in order to give myself a good chance against TKS. Chose to discard iona, due to it being a faster clock. Iona turns the game into a boardstall, but I cant find a 2nd land for gettin grisel on the field before being overwhelmed
    SB: +8 green cards, -iona, chancellor, mox, 2rit, 2brut, 1exhume (not entirely sure about what to cut, so shaved some of everything)
    G2: (P, 7) Badlands - Silence - Looting - Looting - Brutality - Thoughtseize - Reanimate
    Figured that lootings could help me get the bayou to fight leyline, and thoughtseize deals with chalice. He opens on double leyline, i thoughtseize, he shows double chalice, which is a problem, but choses to preserve his city to not t1 chalice me. I find a way to deal with the chalice, and reanimate griselbrand, which rides home the win.
    G3: (D, 6) Silence - Silence - Entomb - Entomb - Rit - Swamp (Scry Mire to the top)
    Chose to mulligan good hands without silence, due to my opponent seemingly mulling aggressively. Keep a bit of a sketchy hand, with good potential. Get rewarded with the scry, and the fact that my opponent leylines t0. Misclick my fetch to get badlands instead of bayou... Have to use ritual + petal to hardcast silence while being beat down by monkey + jitte. Because of my screwup, I cannot get Tidespout + freecast the silence to get out of the aggro, and get jitte'd out of the match

- Loss 2-4 -

- Drop -

Final remarks:
    Faced a fair bit of "random" decks (Four Horseman, Stasis lock) where I wasnt too sure about what to do. Mulliganned more than I think I should, maybe I should open up to more hands being playable, or I was just unlucky but I hate to blaim luck for my preformance ;)

This is a very good hand, not only because of the T1 combo, but also because you only need to topdeck looting\thoughtseize\brutality\entomb to combo again in case of Force of Will. That leaves you with Surgicals to really worry about, and you might have entombed for a different creature than Grisel to saveguard the Grisel in your hand., leaving chances of topdecking a second combo-attempt at its maximum.

Not saying you should have done the latter, but your hand was definitely strong enough to take your chances against probably 2 Surgicals (as your hand was likely strong enough to overcome a single force). Ofcourse it remains a gamble and here you lost, but that does not mean you played wrong, only that you were unlucky he had it.

You should also consider how likely it is to mull into a better hand, which is fast combo plus disruption (which requires at least 5 cards, like land, ritual, entomb, exhume, chancellor, and all of this on a mull to 6), in comparison to a T1 combo and a topdeck away (15 cards if you play foursomes or about 30% chance) for a T2 second attempt.

Edit: I also dont think you should ever wait to draw into discard, because with each cantrip your blue opponent can play, the bigger his chances become of having more hate than you can handle.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

I've been pondering, and think that with the current 4c leovold and delver decks running the show, having a grave titan out of the board is amazing as an alternative (when you want to play around surgical) if you want a superehigh impact card that doesnt lose to edict or something. Though, I've seen very little people actually run the card. Do people have a specific reason to not include the titan?

Grave Titan can be killed with an instant speed Edict in response to the "create zombie tokens" trigger. But yeah, it is a pretty good threat.

I'd follow the similar line mentioned with entomb. Drawing a land would be awesome here as you can maybe save the rits to hardcast griselbrand, but discard spell would clear the way as well. You may want to hold the entomb to see what you draw due to the rituals as well though. Read on opponent might help there. Endstep risk/reward is what the deck does though.

I would prioritize Iona however, not jin gitaxias. Jin gives them a turn to find an out, which is likely. Iona, resolves, name black, puts them off most outs like toxic deluge, baleful strix, surgical extraction, edicts, and terminate effects, as well as the discard spells they run, and majority of their blockers (not just strix).

You'll likely kill them in 3 swings while they brainstorm looking for a non-black answer to Iona.

Good chance it gets surgicalled anyway, or FOWed then hopefully you can save a turn/get more gas.

edit- you can also take the discard line, give them grisel, then wreck with iona which they probably have LESS outs to depending on the board state./edit

I side out griselbrand for silver bullet hosers like elesh and iona. depends on match up.-to the other posts.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I want to apologize for not getting around to writing my report from DC here's a quick recap.

Round 1 - UW Stoneblade 0-2: G1 had the Force G1 had a Nihil Spellbomb/ Academy Ruin lock on me. (This was DNSolver's buddy who congratulated me on playing the correct green build lol)

Round 2 - BiG Eldrazi 1-2: Easy win Game 1, G2 he has Leyline and I wasn't sure what he was on as he conceded early. Game 3 he mull'd to 5 I keep very loose 7 with too much mana I should have mulligan'd more aggressively but my logic was playing around chalice and trinisphere which came up after I strip him of his first Trinisphere, then he proceeds to hit perfect land into Kozeilk the Butcher.

Round 3 - UR Delver 2-0: Game 1 fighting over counters and eventually get the Grisel on the field to take over. G2 best mull to 6 hand (Petal, Dark Ritual, Iona, Brutality, Animated dead, something) He opens land Delver go, I open with the petal, resolves, ritual resolves, Brutality pitching Iona and something irrelevant kill his delver see hand of Probe Swiftspear and bolt and lands. I take probe name red win easily with the 7/7 flyer

Round 4 - UG 12 Post 2-0: Easy wins with Tidespout game 1. Game 2 get to children of K for style and just take over board

Round 5 - Lands 2-0: Opponent Mulligans to 5 both games. G1 I race him before he gets a Marit Laige the turn I kill him. Game 2 would have had a sphere but Opening Chancellor stops that nonsense and I go to get Griselbrand and Archtype for his maze of Ith.

Round 6 - Infect 2-1: Get there really easily game one with drawing all the card with Griselbrand as life doesn't matter. Game two he turn 2s me. Game 3 he mulligans to 6 and has no interaction for my turn 1 Griselbrand and then I get Iona on Green he folds.

Round 7 - Omitell - He opens with cantrips I put a griselbrand in the yard and he show and tells an omniscience while I get my animate dead but he casts Emrakul. Game 2 I mistake him for Sneak and Show even though I saw the Cunning wish and make a mistake by getting children of K to draw a bunch of cards and go down to 2 life. I strip him of his show and tells and onimscience. His turn he Sudden shocks me ! I wasn't even mad.

I proceed to drop to chill with the boys the rest of the day.

Props - Lot's of turn ones, Brutality doing it's thing, getting deck checked round 2 agains MUD player and assuring him we won't have to worry about going past time. Never getting close to time. Dodging all the DRS players!
    Slops - Not mulliganing aggressively against the MUD player, missing my Omniscience player as a Sneak and Show player.

Im currently at 126 matches with the deck at a 64.3% win ratio. I have been testing -1 Faerie Macabre +1 Elesh but I don't think it's needed. Just lack of GY decks means no reason for 4 Macabre. After 200 matches I will do a formal anaylsis and suggest what should be included and or removed and I will go on to test that new version. Also, I would love to work with someone who is hellbent on Unmask over Brutality to compile information about what works best when. I have considered removing the Macabre for 4 Unmask in the board VS combo and Prison style decks but am not sure. More testing needed.

PS the smaller FOW playset tournament was missed as mistook it for being on a day it was not lol.
    Last edited by Darkness; 11-15-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Hi folks

I just saw a list with Pull from eternity in SB, found it interesting and wanted to have your thoughts

http://http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17626&d=309171&f=LE

Also, what's the ruling with let's say Grisel in grave, play reanimate, opponent responses with surgical, let surgical resolve (Rea still on the stack) and fetch into Scrub to play Pull from eternity ? Does Reanimate fizzle or does it put Grisel back on board ?

Thread Information