Page 61 of 75 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1498

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by TheStalk View Post
    Good luck at the event! Any chance you can give a quick write-up on your impressions with the deck playing at EW + SCG DC next week?
    Thanks. I will do a write up but was not at EW

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Thanks. I will do a write up but was not at EW
    My mistake, misread your post about booking a hotel, thought you were attending both.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheStalk View Post
    My mistake, misread your post about booking a hotel, thought you were attending both.
    Went 4-3 drop to chill with friends. Deck felt good mini report to come.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

I'm thinking about more ways to deal with graveyard hate (have a 5k 36 player tournament where my only real legacy option is BR Reanimator which people will know). Has anyone tried running more fast mana in the board, a set of ancient tombs or something and then try to power out 4-5-6 drops as a postboard strategy? I'm really tempted to try it and catch people off guard, but it all might get a bit cute

Quote Originally Posted by Kofurea View Post
    I'm thinking about more ways to deal with graveyard hate (have a 5k 36 player tournament where my only real legacy option is BR Reanimator which people will know). Has anyone tried running more fast mana in the board, a set of ancient tombs or something and then try to power out 4-5-6 drops as a postboard strategy? I'm really tempted to try it and catch people off guard, but it all might get a bit cute
    If you want to go with the "hardcast your threats" backup plan, the most common way this is done is by running a greater than usual number of Grave Titans (usually around 3 copies) along side a few copies of Lake of the Dead in your deck. Lake of the Dead plus two Swamps ramps you to 6 black mana (tap both swamps for mana, sacrifice a swamp to play lake, sacrifice the other swamp for four more mana). This is the perfect number to hardcast Grave Titan, which is probably the best threat at that CMC. If the game stalls out long enough and you manage to get more mana, you can even conceivably hardcast Griselbrand at some point.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    If you want to go with the "hardcast your threats" backup plan, the most common way this is done is by running a greater than usual number of Grave Titans (usually around 3 copies) along side a few copies of Lake of the Dead in your deck. Lake of the Dead plus two Swamps ramps you to 6 black mana (tap both swamps for mana, sacrifice a swamp to play lake, sacrifice the other swamp for four more mana). This is the perfect number to hardcast Grave Titan, which is probably the best threat at that CMC. If the game stalls out long enough and you manage to get more mana, you can even conceivably hardcast Griselbrand at some point.
    I have tried and disliked the lake of the dead plan, mainly due to how cluncky the lake is. I was thinking more 'all-in' transformational commiting something like 12 cards from the board. Maybe I'm better off just getting a sea and some show and tells to beat graveyard hate.

I have tried and disliked the lake of the dead plan, mainly due to how cluncky the lake is. I was thinking more 'all-in' transformational commiting something like 12 cards from the board. Maybe I'm better off just getting a sea and some show and tells to beat graveyard hate.
    You can run the dark depths package (12 cards) and add 3 more Abrupt Decays as SB backup for matchups that the Dark Depths package doesn't work against.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    You can run the dark depths package (12 cards) and add 3 more Abrupt Decays as SB backup for matchups that the Dark Depths package doesn't work against.
    Thanks for the response, I might have to try that strategy when I buy the deck back on MTGO :)

Different question: Both Darkness and DNSolver seem to be sold on the Unmaskless green version. Now the green I get, but when I played Unmaskless I felt like I could lose quite easily even after reanimating Griselbrand. I've played 2 for a while, which was an 'ok middle of the road' solution, but I've seen people like Todd Anderson say you want to be as all-in as possible with the deck and run the full four. Really having a tough time deciding what would be correct, and would like to know the rationale behind the number of unmasks they run.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Thanks for the response, I might have to try that strategy when I buy the deck back on MTGO :)

Different question: Both Darkness and DNSolver seem to be sold on the Unmaskless green version. Now the green I get, but when I played Unmaskless I felt like I could lose quite easily even after reanimating Griselbrand. I've played 2 for a while, which was an 'ok middle of the road' solution, but I've seen people like Todd Anderson say you want to be as all-in as possible with the deck and run the full four. Really having a tough time deciding what would be correct, and would like to know the rationale behind the number of unmasks they run.
    For me the Unmasks are very appealing, being able to cast another free spell to potential disrupt your opponent does seem extremely enticing. However with all of the Baleful Strix and Deathrite Shaman running rampant, I personally rather have the option of discarding a fatty in the yard from my hand and be able to disrupt or a kill a problem creature than go all in. I was testing with a 3/1 split between Thougtseize and Unmask. but felt that the 1 Unmask wasn't correct. I really only liked Unmask when going off with Griselbrand. I can understand the logic behind wanting 4 and maybe I should reconsider but the Brutalities have been nothing but amazing for me time and time again. If you get a Brutality countered you still have your fatty in the yard, as opposed to Unmask where you still need more pieces to put the puzzle together. That is my line of thinking. Also, DNSolver put up a league a while back with a deck tech you can check out here

I will be posting later today my results from D.C. I went 4-3 and made a few bad choices to keep a hand and 1 bad choice on what to reanimate and lost two rounds potentially because of those choices, but the deck was very good other than that. Oddly enough I didn't face any DRS decks but maybe that is because I started 0-2 .

I will be also be putting up my 100 Match Up Analysis sometime this week as I just finished my 100 matches and am at 66% win ratio.
    Last edited by Darkness; 10-30-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Darkness, I heard that you ran into one of my friends at the SCG. Sorry I wasn't there.

I am now dubbing Darkness and Zooligan as official Disciples of Griselbrand. They are allowed to post dank Griselbrand memes. However, anyone found playing Sire of Insanity will have this demon cult membership revoked!
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Darkness, I heard that you ran into one of my friends at the SCG. Sorry I wasn't there.

I am now dubbing Darkness and Zooligan as official Disciples of Griselbrand. They are allowed to post dank Griselbrand memes. However, anyone found playing Sire of Insanity will have this demon cult membership revoked!
    Yea Connor had me locked out game 2 with academy ruins and spell bomb and just had force game one. I forget the other players name Sam maybe, he was on miracles facing my friend but we did reminisce about you. I will be attending SCG Worcestor hope to see you there and don't worry, only change I have from your 75 atm is -1 Chrome Mox +1 Swamp, which both Connor and said other friend said that was an acceptable change you would approve of.

Speaking of I just finished my 100 matches with the deck and really only be having problems with Eldrazi and DRS Blue decks. Can you give me a quick run down of your SB strategies for both of them, more so what you take out. I just wanna see if I'm just getting unlucky or I am not boarding optimally. I usually win game 1 against them. Also, haven't seen much use for The Macabre as the GY decks are becoming less popular. Do I keep them in as the sacred cow or can you recommend other cards to replace a few to battle the current meta.
    Last edited by Darkness; 10-30-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post

Ha ha. Awesome!! I'll try to live up to the challenge with some memes in the future. No worries about Sire. Played that when I first built the deck and dumped it almost immediately.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I'm thinking of testing removing a chrome mox and animate dead for unmask split with brut. 3/3 or 4/2. Format seems hostile and disruption seems strong. Thoughts

I am running 3 TS 3 CB and 2 Unmask, 1 chrome mox and it's working like a charm, 2 moxen were just too much. the 4th TS and CB are in the SB, I personally would not cut animate dead from MB, that is the strenght of this deck against the weaker UB - there, I said it.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Atherion View Post
    I am running 3 TS 3 CB and 2 Unmask, 1 chrome mox and it's working like a charm, 2 moxen were just too much. the 4th TS and CB are in the SB, I personally would not cut animate dead from MB, that is the strenght of this deck against the weaker UB - there, I said it.
    Nothing to say, the UB version is slower and gets hated out easier, it is the weaker of the two. I have a wedding this weekend and a Win a playlet of FoW Monday which I will go in with my current 75 expect report for both DC and FoW day next week, been busy with school.
    Last edited by Darkness; 11-02-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Apr 2017
    Netherlands

I'm thinking of testing removing a chrome mox and animate dead for unmask split with brut. 3/3 or 4/2. Format seems hostile and disruption seems strong. Thoughts
    I have played a ton with (the white version) a 3/3/2 split between TS, Brut and Unmask, and it helped firing off at least one discard spell after reanimating Griselbrand. Without playing unmask you probably need the 2nd chrome mox in order to actually cast a spell when drawing only 7 with griselbrand, but I've really found the moxen to be mediocre. Two Unmask seemed to be a sweet spot, but Im probably only 60 matches deep with the version that ran that split so not really enough to draw statistically significant conclusions. I have a 1k-ish tournament in a week and am planning on running a green version (as decay seems to make beating different hate a ton easier than the wear/tear + defense grid + fatal push split I used to run).

I have two "versions" that I'm considering, the fairly stock version based off the DNS and Darkness lists, and a version with unmasks based on my own experience. I hope to get the final tix I need for finishing the deck online and running it through a few leagues before the event.

"Stock" list
    Code:
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Exhume
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Bayou
    4 Entomb

1 Archetype of Endurance
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Reverent Silence
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Coffin Purge
    (PS. Skimping a bit on the gy hate, because of the limited amount of reanimator I'm used to seeing at these kind of events, and adding needles because of the high amount of sneak//show I expect to see)

"Other" list:
    Code:
    MD:
    -1 Collective Brutality
    -1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Thoughtseize
    +1 Swamp
    +2 Unmask
    (PPS. If someone has some insight into a better answer for sneak and show, or other things about my preposed lists I'm all ears ;) )

I can see the 4/4/0 split being correct for MODO leagues (as strix/drs decks are literally everywhere), 4/0/4 lists being better if you expect to only face combo (which to be honest seems extremely unlikely with the top decks at the moment, but if DRS where to ever get the axe it could be correct) and 3/3/2 lists being better for a more unknown meta (as being able to play a discard spell extra after using reanimate and only drawing 7 can be extremely clutch against decks that run sorcery speed answers). Maybe the children + archetype line is better for actually beating sorcery speed removal, but I'm very inexperienced with running children in my board (and a bit weary to run it in a non-white version).

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Hi all,

What is the opinion on elesh norn in legacy right now? I'm not super high on her but idk how often reanimator needs/wants a comeback type of creature. She would have most likely won me a game last night where she would have wiped a big DnT board but I'm trying to separate that 1 scenario vs her overall usefulness.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by ottomanottoman View Post
    Hi all,

What is the opinion on elesh norn in legacy right now? I'm not super high on her but idk how often reanimator needs/wants a comeback type of creature. She would have most likely won me a game last night where she would have wiped a big DnT board but I'm trying to separate that 1 scenario vs her overall usefulness.
    She is a liability against DNT due to Karakas. I like Iona and archetype which locks people out fairly easily. If you know your meta has few to no Karakas or STP that's fine but I haven't missed her since I stopped using her.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

She is a liability against DNT due to Karakas. I like Iona and archetype which locks people out fairly easily. If you know your meta has few to no Karakas or STP that's fine but I haven't missed her since I stopped using her.
    Those are my thoughts exactly. Decks where she'd actually kill their creatures and I'd side her in she gets answered post board pretty easily (StP, Karakas, Edict effects, etc.). I'm currently on the DNSolver/your quad-laser-esque list and want to run an extra tech fatty in the board over the duress. I'm currently on Grave Titan for the pile/delver matchups because it'd be a lot of work for it to get edicted.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I have played a ton with (the white version) a 3/3/2 split between TS, Brut and Unmask, and it helped firing off at least one discard spell after reanimating Griselbrand. Without playing unmask you probably need the 2nd chrome mox in order to actually cast a spell when drawing only 7 with griselbrand, but I've really found the moxen to be mediocre. Two Unmask seemed to be a sweet spot, but Im probably only 60 matches deep with the version that ran that split so not really enough to draw statistically significant conclusions. I have a 1k-ish tournament in a week and am planning on running a green version (as decay seems to make beating different hate a ton easier than the wear/tear + defense grid + fatal push split I used to run).

I have two "versions" that I'm considering, the fairly stock version based off the DNS and Darkness lists, and a version with unmasks based on my own experience. I hope to get the final tix I need for finishing the deck online and running it through a few leagues before the event.

"Stock" list
    Code:
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Exhume
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Bayou
    4 Entomb

1 Archetype of Endurance
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Reverent Silence
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Coffin Purge
    (PS. Skimping a bit on the gy hate, because of the limited amount of reanimator I'm used to seeing at these kind of events, and adding needles because of the high amount of sneak//show I expect to see)

"Other" list:
    Code:
    MD:
    -1 Collective Brutality
    -1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Thoughtseize
    +1 Swamp
    +2 Unmask
    (PPS. If someone has some insight into a better answer for sneak and show, or other things about my preposed lists I'm all ears ;) )

I can see the 4/4/0 split being correct for MODO leagues (as strix/drs decks are literally everywhere), 4/0/4 lists being better if you expect to only face combo (which to be honest seems extremely unlikely with the top decks at the moment, but if DRS where to ever get the axe it could be correct) and 3/3/2 lists being better for a more unknown meta (as being able to play a discard spell extra after using reanimate and only drawing 7 can be extremely clutch against decks that run sorcery speed answers). Maybe the children + archetype line is better for actually beating sorcery speed removal, but I'm very inexperienced with running children in my board (and a bit weary to run it in a non-white version).
    I never actually had issues getting children of k. Onto the battlefield with the green version. I'm thinking about testing this 3/3/2 split. Would love to hear DNSolvers opinion on it. I agree in a DRS meta the 4/4 TS CB is probably just better, but in an known meta like a big SCG event it might. E worth exploring

Quote Originally Posted by ottomanottoman View Post
    Those are my thoughts exactly. Decks where she'd actually kill their creatures and I'd side her in she gets answered post board pretty easily (StP, Karakas, Edict effects, etc.). I'm currently on the DNSolver/your quad-laser-esque list and want to run an extra tech fatty in the board over the duress. I'm currently on Grave Titan for the pile/delver matchups because it'd be a lot of work for it to get edicted.
    Yea G titan isn't horrible. I don't think it's needed but you can test it and I would love to hear results.

Thread Information