Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1498

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by Slick752 View Post
    Is 2 Reverent Silence enough in Leyline of the Void MU?
    Why abrupt decay are not 3, but 4?
    Could you say what is your discard package?
    My discard is 2 therapy, 2 CoBru, and 4 Unmask.

Reverent is great for leyline, but that's about it. Sometimes you're digging against rip but I'm not as concerned.

Decay hits all relevant cards in D&T, hits Drs, rip, relics, needles, thorn effects, chalice, bridges..... I've seen lists split differently adding nature's claim to the mix and k-grip prior to the top ban but I always found decay had the most game. Also, having a bayou stick around for when you need it is not always trivial. Decks that play leyline, I find, tend to be wasteland/stompy decks, so you either keep a fetch around, or don't fetch red. It always felt clunky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Why titan sac effects against Lily and Diabolic Edict?
    Titan is good in a lot of fair match ups. Any deck that plays stoneforge mystic or delver tends to struggle with Titan. Control decks can also stumble against the card. Lands has to prioritize Tabernacle instead of wasteland, maze, Karakas, which are all better as a whole. Pile can try to race? Or set up baleful strix, but if their plan is to chump block we are still left with 8 power. Miracles must dig for terminus, or maybe an entreat, but that means that their cantrips are not being used as efficiently.

It is castable, but the icing on the cake for me is that it is not legendary. A lot of karakas' in my locals. I might be overselling the card a little at this point but I'm hard pressed to think of a sideboard with ~3 fatty slots and no Titan.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Why titan sac effects against Lily and Diabolic Edict?
    I've been rolling with grave titan for a while now and he's been great out of the board against any of the UBx delver/pile decks. Given that their answers to our fatties are most commonly edicts he's nigh unkillable and bigger than every one of their creatures. He's also been good against eldrazi given he leaves back blockers, is bigger than their stuff, isn't legendary, etc. (I'm on a BRw build for reference)

Apr 2017
    Santa Barbara, California

Has anyone tried running Gilded Drake out of the board?
    I'm running the grixis show and tell build, and it seems to synergize with stronghold gambit.
    I'm preparing this deck for GP Seattle.
    MTGO: Cucaracha_Gigante
    Currently Playing:
    Maverick. D&T.
    Reanimator.
    BURN.

Quote Originally Posted by Boneflute View Post
    Has anyone tried running Gilded Drake out of the board?
    I'm running the grixis show and tell build, and it seems to synergize with stronghold gambit.
    I'm preparing this deck for GP Seattle.
    I'm not sure how it synergizes with Stronghold Gambit? Stronghold Gambit will rarely allow both players to put a creature into play and even if it did Gilded Drake out-values a lot of creatures at CMC 2 as it's a better Delver on the opponent's board.

EDIT: Went 1-2 at a local legacy. Not a good result but I definitely saw game-costing misplays on my end.(boarded out all my outs to containment priest vs miracles and didn't thoughtseize before casting Entomb vs an opponent who mulled to 5 and had to play through a chancellor trigger) But a big takeaway for me is that Archfiend of Ifnir and Pack Rat are really, really good in decks that can make some room for both in the 75.
    Last edited by TokenMaster; 02-28-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Apr 2017

Quote Originally Posted by TokenMaster View Post
    I'm not sure how it synergizes with Stronghold Gambit? Stronghold Gambit will rarely allow both players to put a creature into play and even if it did Gilded Drake out-values a lot of creatures at CMC 2 as it's a better Delver on the opponent's board.

EDIT: Went 1-2 at a local legacy. Not a good result but I definitely saw game-costing misplays on my end.(boarded out all my outs to containment priest vs miracles and didn't thoughtseize before casting Entomb vs an opponent who mulled to 5 and had to play through a chancellor trigger) But a big takeaway for me is that Archfiend of Ifnir and Pack Rat are really, really good in decks that can make some room for both in the 75.
    Yeah, total brain-fart on my end. But I still wonder if Gilded Drake would be viable.

Thanks for the lead, that sounds spicy!
    Currently Playing:
    Maverick. D&T.
    Reanimator.
    BURN.

This BR Reanimator list placed 2nd at the latest Legacy Challenge with 2 Pack Rat and 2 Archfiend in the board.

The 4 Stronghold Gambit and 4 Show and Tell are interesting to me. I hadn't considered running both before, but they could allow you to side out Reanimate and Animate Dead, leaving only Exhume as a reanimation spell. That lets you dodge targeted grave hate entirely. I don't know if that's what Cucaracha_Gigante did, but it's an interesting possibility.

In the brackets you can see he beat Grixis Delver in the semi's, but lost in the finals to a virtually identical version of Grixis Delver.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftedClock View Post
    This BR Reanimator list placed 2nd at the latest Legacy Challenge with 2 Pack Rat and 2 Archfiend in the board.

The 4 Stronghold Gambit and 4 Show and Tell are interesting to me. I hadn't considered running both before, but they could allow you to side out Reanimate and Animate Dead, leaving only Exhume as a reanimation spell. That lets you dodge targeted grave hate entirely. I don't know if that's what Cucaracha_Gigante did, but it's an interesting possibility.

In the brackets you can see he beat Grixis Delver in the semi's, but lost in the finals to a virtually identical version of Grixis Delver.
    I'm a little interested in the decision of just 2 Pack Rat but also 4 Show and Tell as you'd probably bring both in, as well as Archfiend of Ifnir, Firestorm, and possibly Iona/Inkwell against fair decks. I'm in agreement with the idea that he boards out a lot of the reanimation for cards to sidestep hate.

I'm also a little surprised by choice of Unmask but not Collective Brutality though, especially with Archfiend of Ifnir in the board. But I do think Unmask pairs up with Stronghold Gambit and Show and Tell better and he doesn't have to worry about DRS or most hatebears postboard either nor does he particularly care about getting a creature in the bin in postboard games.

Digging through the Dominaria notes that got released early, I came across this:

Torgaar, Famine Incarnate
    6BB
    Legendary Creature — Avatar
    7/6
    As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This spell costs 2 less to cast for each creature sacrificed this way.
    When Torgaar, Famine Incarnate enters the battlefield, up to one target player's life total becomes half their starting life total, rounded down.

It seems like a cute target.

Apr 2017

I'm a little interested in the decision of just 2 Pack Rat but also 4 Show and Tell as you'd probably bring both in, as well as Archfiend of Ifnir, Firestorm, and possibly Iona/Inkwell against fair decks. I'm in agreement with the idea that he boards out a lot of the reanimation for cards to sidestep hate.

I'm also a little surprised by choice of Unmask but not Collective Brutality though, especially with Archfiend of Ifnir in the board. But I do think Unmask pairs up with Stronghold Gambit and Show and Tell better and he doesn't have to worry about DRS or most hatebears postboard either nor does he particularly care about getting a creature in the bin in postboard games.
    Hey guys, Giant Cockroach here. Here's some of my side boarding notes, hopefully it can be of help;

1. Regardless of the match up, I always boarded out 4 copies of Entomb, replacing them with 4 copies of Show and Tell. (Except Sneak and Show)

2. I found myself boarding-in Inkwell Leviathan almost every game. I happened to draw the card a lot, and it almost always delivered. Turns out, the card is absolute house in the current meta. I'm considering running 2 of them in my 75.

3. If I brought in Stronghold Gambits, then I would shave my resurrection spells. Usually something like -2 Exhume, -1 Reanimate, and -1 Animate Dead.

4. Pack Rats were underwhelming, and should probably be replaced by Collective Brutality. Firestorm could also be replaced, maybe by a 3rd Collective Brutality. (The only reason I didn't play copies of of Collective Brutality is purely budget related.) Collective Brutality should be included in the 75 somewhere, perhaps in the main deck.

5. Archfiend of Ifnir is deceptively good. But, perhaps he is better suited in a more grindy build, like Jund Reanimator. Where this grixis build is more oriented with being fast. The card has definite potential in Legacy Reanimator, because he's not very difficult to hard-cast. I would usually board them in replacing reanimation spells against aggro strategies. The Pack Rats + Archfiend combo (thanks DNSolver ) is absolutely bonkers, if you have the mana to support it. Perhaps a "Carpet of Flowers" type of boarding strategy would supplement it well.

Overall, regarding the overall experience of the tournament, I would say that this deck has serious game. Yeah, I had some good luck, but also, this grixis build seems pretty difficult to play against. And gives a lot of room for improvisation during game play. I'm really excited to take this deck to GP Seattle. LMK if any of you have any specific questions.
    Currently Playing:
    Maverick. D&T.
    Reanimator.
    BURN.

So i am hoping to get my sideboard plan in order here is my main deck and my board please help me with any match ups.
    4x Chancellor of the Annex
    1x Sire of Insanity
    1x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4x Griselbbbbrand
    1x Chrome Mox
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Animate Dead
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Entomb
    4x Exhume
    4x Faithless looting
    4x Reanimate
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Unmask
    2x Swamp
    2x Badlands
    1x Bayou
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Polluted Delta

Side Board:
    2x Abrupt Decay
    2x Stronghold Gambit
    3x Reverent Silence
    3x Collective Brutality
    1x Tidespout Tyrant
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2x Pithing Needle

Quote Originally Posted by Boneflute View Post
    Hey guys, Giant Cockroach here. Here's some of my side boarding notes, hopefully it can be of help;

1. Regardless of the match up, I always boarded out 4 copies of Entomb, replacing them with 4 copies of Show and Tell. (Except Sneak and Show)

2. I found myself boarding-in Inkwell Leviathan almost every game. I happened to draw the card a lot, and it almost always delivered. Turns out, the card is absolute house in the current meta. I'm considering running 2 of them in my 75.

3. If I brought in Stronghold Gambits, then I would shave my resurrection spells. Usually something like -2 Exhume, -1 Reanimate, and -1 Animate Dead.

4. Pack Rats were underwhelming, and should probably be replaced by Collective Brutality. Firestorm could also be replaced, maybe by a 3rd Collective Brutality. (The only reason I didn't play copies of of Collective Brutality is purely budget related.) Collective Brutality should be included in the 75 somewhere, perhaps in the main deck.

5. Archfiend of Ifnir is deceptively good. But, perhaps he is better suited in a more grindy build, like Jund Reanimator. Where this grixis build is more oriented with being fast. The card has definite potential in Legacy Reanimator, because he's not very difficult to hard-cast. I would usually board them in replacing reanimation spells against aggro strategies. The Pack Rats + Archfiend combo (thanks DNSolver ) is absolutely bonkers, if you have the mana to support it. Perhaps a "Carpet of Flowers" type of boarding strategy would supplement it well.

Overall, regarding the overall experience of the tournament, I would say that this deck has serious game. Yeah, I had some good luck, but also, this grixis build seems pretty difficult to play against. And gives a lot of room for improvisation during game play. I'm really excited to take this deck to GP Seattle. LMK if any of you have any specific questions.
    PM'd you for help :)

I played this list a decent amount for the past couple of weeks, including a Legacy 4K at CFB.

4 Griselbrand
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Archfiend of Ifnir

4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Unmask
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Badlands
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 Pack Rat
    4 Stronghold Gambit
    2 Unmask
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Archfiend of Ifnir
    1 Inkwell Leviathan

My overall record at the 4K wasn't great but I didn't have a whole lot of matchup experience and definitely punted hard at times. But I think the biggest highlight of my experience with this 75 is that I'm 6-0 vs Grixis Delver.

Final record at the 4K was 4-3, don't remember all my boarding decisions because I ran into a lot of matchups I wasn't too familiar with and this was a fairly new list though.

Round 1: Turbo Depths 1-0
    Game 1
    I'm on a slow hand of Thoughtseize, Collective Brutality, Entomb, Dark Rit, Griselbrand. Opponent cracks Hexmage turn 2 and I don't have it.

Game 2
    My opponent doesn't know what I'm on because I scooped early last game. I have Unmask and Stronghold Gambit turn 2 and Griselbrand draws into Unmask again to rip out his Crop Roto and clear the path for reanimating Tidespout Tyrant.

Game 3
    My opponent thinks for a few seconds and keeps, so I know I have to act fast or make a turn 2 with disruption. I mull into a turn 2 with Unmask which becomes turn 1 off the Entomb I scry back on top. Opponent jams Into the North with Spirit Guide turn 1 and I jam Griseldaddy turn 1 which extends into Tidespout Tyrant and multiple discard effects after I draw 14.

Round 2: Turbo Depths 2-0
    Game 1
    I have a turn 2 or turn 3 with Thoughtseize backup. I'm on the play and my opponent plays Bayou turn 1 and passes. I take the turn 2 gamble and he drops Crop Roto fetching Bog. I die before I recover.

Game 2
    I Stronghold Gambit a Tidespout Tyrant and that keeps my opponent locked out of Depths.

Game 3
    My opponent plays Ground Seal. I get lucky ripping Exhume off the top which becomes Griseldude and extends into Tidespout again.

Round 3: Jund Nic Fit 2-1
    Game 1
    Definitely not familiar with Jund Nic Fit vs BUG or the classic one. I miss lethal by accidentally drawing before untapping. Didn't think it was a huge setback as I still had lethal next turn and my opponent didn't have a hand or board. Big mistake because the opponent Sylvan Libraries to find Emrakul and Sneak Attack.

Game 2
    I flub hard here because I had a turn 3 hardcast Griselbrand knowing the opponent isn't on blue but the opponent Thoughtseized to take that away. The opponent follows up with Lost Legacy and takes Griselbrand and I no longer have fatties that hit hard and fast enough to beat the creatures in his deck.

Round 4: Food Chain 2-2
    Game 1
    Opponent on the play. I'm on a hand with Chancellor but needs a mana source to go off. Opponent goes turn 2 Strix into Chancellor, turn 3 Strix and DRS, and then I find a mana source and bring out Griselbrand turn 3. Griselbrand rips into a 7 of just fatties and lands. Turn 4 my opponent plays Leovold and turn 5 my opponent plays another Strix. I can't fight through the strixes, DRS, and Leovold with no reanimation in my hand.

Game 2
    I mull to 6 with just Lotus Petal and Chancellor; needed to find another mana source as I have Entomb and Reanimate in my hand. Opponent rips my hand apart with Thoughtseize and has Flusterstorm/FoW/DRS backup.

Round 5: Grixis Delver 3-2
    Game 1
    I turn 1 here and my opponent scoops it up, but not before I saw what he was on.

Game 2
    I keep a no-lander with Reanimate , Chancellor, Collective Brutality, Dark Ritual, Thoughtseize, Animate Dead. I see the land on my first draw. Opponent is on a mull to 6, lets Chancellor eat Git Probe, and blind Cabal Therapies hitting nothing. I see the land off my first draw and rip his hand apart before reanimating Chancellor while he has no board and no hand.

Round 6: BR Reanimator 3-3
    Game 1
    Opponent on the play reveals double Chancellor, goes Faithless Looting pithching both, Lotus Petal, Dark Rit, double Reanimate. I scoop without revealing anything but my opponent already knows what I'm on.

Game 2
    I keep a 6 with Thoughtseize, Entomb, Reanimate, Faithless Looting, Stronghold Gambit, land. Opponent reveals Chancellor and I play Faithless Looting into it. Opponent plays Dark Rit, Thoughtseize, Collective Brutality turn 1 leaving me with only Entomb but he needs to topdeck reanimation. He sees reanimation before I do and gets to Tidespout to lock me out of the game.

Round 7: Food Chain 4-3
    Game 1
    My opponent plays Ponder into a revealed Chancellor. I have Unmask, Dark Rit, Collective Brutality, Reanimate, Tidespout Tyrant and it gets there.

Game 2
    I'm playing a more disruptive match here and rip apart my opponent's board and hand with CoBru and Thoughtseize/Unmask. I eventually put a Pack Rat on the board and it gets out of hand quick.

Overall
    The deck feels pretty solid but I was lucky to not see BUG delver or any stompy as those matchups are my demons. It still has the natural problem of losing to itself once in a while but I think my post-board games are interesting as I can turn my redundant reanimation spells into more gas and streamline my disruption depending on the matchup. It's especially brutal vs Grixis Delver because postboard I have a lot of spells they need to answer on the spot which only gets backed up by more spells that they can't allow to resolve and that really drains the power out of their cantrips. I think I have a harder time against some of the less-seen decks because the sideboard is built to be strong against more common archetypes and I haven't had much experience against some of the more obscure decks with this particular list. Also even thought I beat my 2 Turbo Depths opponents I don't think it's really in my favor. It didn't come up in tournament but Pack Rat is huge in the grixis delver matchup and is nearly impossible for fair decks to keep up with when combined with Archfiend of Ifnir. Pack Rat is also pretty nice protection against Edict in some situations and can be a cheap target for Reanimate.

On the 3 Collective Brutality:
    I'm only running 3 because getting an escalated CoBru Dazed or Flustered feels bad and while it lets you bin creatures from your hand you don't necessarily want to do that vs DRS not knowing if you can stick the creature on the board right away. I'm running Pyroclasm instead of CoBru #4 because sometimes Pyroclasm steals games you should've already lost. I'm only on a 2/2 split between CoBru and Unmask mainboard because while CoBru is often nice in fair matchups Unmask raises the power level of Griseldad by a lot and gives you interaction vs fast combo even when they open strong. It also gives your Stronghold Gambit a bit of extra security postboard.

The basic mountain:
    Sometimes your hand becomes terrible because you drew the basic mountain and no other mana source but there are a lot of matchups and situations where you want access to red but would die to Wasteland, especially postboard. Also I wanted a third basic for Pack Rat and between these two things I think being stuck on basic mountain occasionally is a relatively small opportunity cost.
    Last edited by TokenMaster; 03-26-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Reanimate , Chancellor, Collective Brutality, Dark Ritual, Thoughtseize, Animate Dead
    Have you ever heard about taking another mulligan?

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Have you ever heard about taking another mulligan?
    I remember my exact hand now, it was all those plus Lotus Petal and my plan initially was to jam Dark Rit into Lotus Petal and see if my opponent throws a Force or Daze at it, but thankfully I didn't have to.

Maybe it wasn't the correct play to keep there but it was a hand that had a lot of gas once I got to my first land(and could operate off a basic swamp if I want to play around Wasteland) and was further protected by Chancellor and I was also up a game while also knowing I have a very strong matchup against them if it goes to game 3 and I'm on the play. I'm sure there are other people here with a pretty different opinion but I think mulliganing aggressively against decks that most likely will be able to interact turn 1 isn't ideal, especially decks that will pack both Flusterstorm and Surgical because while you do have a chance of opening unbeatable hands even mulliganing down to 4 your odds of finding protected turn 1s goes down drastically after you start mulliganing so I think hands where you're only missing one piece that makes up a significant portion of your deck and you still have disruption against the opponent; completely different story if you have no disruption and no combo.

You don't play any kind of Artifacts/Enchants hate in your side? Is this a meta call? How do you plan matchups where it is highly relevant and pack rat is just not doing the job? Thinking of MonoRed Stompy (with trinisphere or ensnaring bridge that can drop on turn 1), Jund, 4c Loam and so on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mannaus View Post
    You don't play any kind of Artifacts/Enchants hate in your side? Is this a meta call? How do you plan matchups where it is highly relevant and pack rat is just not doing the job? Thinking of MonoRed Stompy (with trinisphere or ensnaring bridge that can drop on turn 1), Jund, 4c Loam and so on ...
    In those matchups I try to get over the top with Stronghold Gambit (after playing some discard effects to look at their hand) or try to protect from turn 1s with Chancellor and discard effects or a turn 1. I don't feel stompy is a great matchup even with Abrupt Decay/Reverent Silence but we can still win off an alternative angle and our deck's sheer speed. I'm essentially giving up some percentage of our chances against those decks to have strong matchups against tempo/midrange decks and to be more resilient to wasteland as I can also run more basics this way.

It's also a bit of a meta call as I don't see those decks often so I do think the white/green splash builds can do better if you expect to face a lot of stompy. I also think my experience vs these decks can differ a bit because my opponents often cut creatures for lock pieces and that leaves them more vulnerable to Stronghold Gambit than they normally should be.

I played this list a decent amount for the past couple of weeks, including a Legacy 4K at CFB.

4 Griselbrand
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Archfiend of Ifnir

4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Unmask
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Badlands
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 Pack Rat
    4 Stronghold Gambit
    2 Unmask
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Archfiend of Ifnir
    1 Inkwell Leviathan

My overall record at the 4K wasn't great but I didn't have a whole lot of matchup experience and definitely punted hard at times. But I think the biggest highlight of my experience with this 75 is that I'm 6-0 vs Grixis Delver.

Final record at the 4K was 4-3, don't remember all my boarding decisions because I ran into a lot of matchups I wasn't too familiar with and this was a fairly new list though.

Round 1: Turbo Depths 1-0
    Game 1
    I'm on a slow hand of Thoughtseize, Collective Brutality, Entomb, Dark Rit, Griselbrand. Opponent cracks Hexmage turn 2 and I don't have it.

Game 2
    My opponent doesn't know what I'm on because I scooped early last game. I have Unmask and Stronghold Gambit turn 2 and Griselbrand draws into Unmask again to rip out his Crop Roto and clear the path for reanimating Tidespout Tyrant.

Game 3
    My opponent thinks for a few seconds and keeps, so I know I have to act fast or make a turn 2 with disruption. I mull into a turn 2 with Unmask which becomes turn 1 off the Entomb I scry back on top. Opponent jams Into the North with Spirit Guide turn 1 and I jam Griseldaddy turn 1 which extends into Tidespout Tyrant and multiple discard effects after I draw 14.

Round 2: Turbo Depths 2-0
    Game 1
    I have a turn 2 or turn 3 with Thoughtseize backup. I'm on the play and my opponent plays Bayou turn 1 and passes. I take the turn 2 gamble and he drops Crop Roto fetching Bog. I die before I recover.

Game 2
    I Stronghold Gambit a Tidespout Tyrant and that keeps my opponent locked out of Depths.

Game 3
    My opponent plays Ground Seal. I get lucky ripping Exhume off the top which becomes Griseldude and extends into Tidespout again.

Round 3: Jund Nic Fit 2-1
    Game 1
    Definitely not familiar with Jund Nic Fit vs BUG or the classic one. I miss lethal by accidentally drawing before untapping. Didn't think it was a huge setback as I still had lethal next turn and my opponent didn't have a hand or board. Big mistake because the opponent Sylvan Libraries to find Emrakul and Sneak Attack.

Game 2
    I flub hard here because I had a turn 3 hardcast Griselbrand knowing the opponent isn't on blue but the opponent Thoughtseized to take that away. The opponent follows up with Lost Legacy and takes Griselbrand and I no longer have fatties that hit hard and fast enough to beat the creatures in his deck.

Round 4: Food Chain 2-2
    Game 1
    Opponent on the play. I'm on a hand with Chancellor but needs a mana source to go off. Opponent goes turn 2 Strix into Chancellor, turn 3 Strix and DRS, and then I find a mana source and bring out Griselbrand turn 3. Griselbrand rips into a 7 of just fatties and lands. Turn 4 my opponent plays Leovold and turn 5 my opponent plays another Strix. I can't fight through the strixes, DRS, and Leovold with no reanimation in my hand.

Game 2
    I mull to 6 with just Lotus Petal and Chancellor; needed to find another mana source as I have Entomb and Reanimate in my hand. Opponent rips my hand apart with Thoughtseize and has Flusterstorm/FoW/DRS backup.

Round 5: Grixis Delver 3-2
    Game 1
    I turn 1 here and my opponent scoops it up, but not before I saw what he was on.

Game 2
    I keep a no-lander with Reanimate , Chancellor, Collective Brutality, Dark Ritual, Thoughtseize, Animate Dead. I see the land on my first draw. Opponent is on a mull to 6, lets Chancellor eat Git Probe, and blind Cabal Therapies hitting nothing. I see the land off my first draw and rip his hand apart before reanimating Chancellor while he has no board and no hand.

Round 6: BR Reanimator 3-3
    Game 1
    Opponent on the play reveals double Chancellor, goes Faithless Looting pithching both, Lotus Petal, Dark Rit, double Reanimate. I scoop without revealing anything but my opponent already knows what I'm on.

Game 2
    I keep a 6 with Thoughtseize, Entomb, Reanimate, Faithless Looting, Stronghold Gambit, land. Opponent reveals Chancellor and I play Faithless Looting into it. Opponent plays Dark Rit, Thoughtseize, Collective Brutality turn 1 leaving me with only Entomb but he needs to topdeck reanimation. He sees reanimation before I do and gets to Tidespout to lock me out of the game.

Round 7: Food Chain 4-3
    Game 1
    My opponent plays Ponder into a revealed Chancellor. I have Unmask, Dark Rit, Collective Brutality, Reanimate, Tidespout Tyrant and it gets there.

Game 2
    I'm playing a more disruptive match here and rip apart my opponent's board and hand with CoBru and Thoughtseize/Unmask. I eventually put a Pack Rat on the board and it gets out of hand quick.

Overall
    The deck feels pretty solid but I was lucky to not see BUG delver or any stompy as those matchups are my demons. It still has the natural problem of losing to itself once in a while but I think my post-board games are interesting as I can turn my redundant reanimation spells into more gas and streamline my disruption depending on the matchup. It's especially brutal vs Grixis Delver because postboard I have a lot of spells they need to answer on the spot which only gets backed up by more spells that they can't allow to resolve and that really drains the power out of their cantrips. I think I have a harder time against some of the less-seen decks because the sideboard is built to be strong against more common archetypes and I haven't had much experience against some of the more obscure decks with this particular list. Also even thought I beat my 2 Turbo Depths opponents I don't think it's really in my favor. It didn't come up in tournament but Pack Rat is huge in the grixis delver matchup and is nearly impossible for fair decks to keep up with when combined with Archfiend of Ifnir. Pack Rat is also pretty nice protection against Edict in some situations and can be a cheap target for Reanimate.

On the 3 Collective Brutality:
    I'm only running 3 because getting an escalated CoBru Dazed or Flustered feels bad and while it lets you bin creatures from your hand you don't necessarily want to do that vs DRS not knowing if you can stick the creature on the board right away. I'm running Pyroclasm instead of CoBru #4 because sometimes Pyroclasm steals games you should've already lost. I'm only on a 2/2 split between CoBru and Unmask mainboard because while CoBru is often nice in fair matchups Unmask raises the power level of Griseldad by a lot and gives you interaction vs fast combo even when they open strong. It also gives your Stronghold Gambit a bit of extra security postboard.

The basic mountain:
    Sometimes your hand becomes terrible because you drew the basic mountain and no other mana source but there are a lot of matchups and situations where you want access to red but would die to Wasteland, especially postboard. Also I wanted a third basic for Pack Rat and between these two things I think being stuck on basic mountain occasionally is a relatively small opportunity cost.
    I also played BR at the 4K, similarly I ended up with a 4-3 record.

R1: Pox/Lands (1-2) L
    R2: Burn (2-1) W
    R3: Grixis Delver (0-2) L
    R4: Tezz.dek (1-2) L
    R5: Mono-White Rebels? (2-0) W
    R6: Esper Stoneblade (2-0) W
    R7: Belcher (2-1) W

What do you think about Grim Lavamancer in the sideboard? Is he worthy to be there or not?

Aug 2016
    Göttingen

Quote Originally Posted by Listlik View Post
    What do you think about Grim Lavamancer in the sideboard? Is he worthy to be there or not?
    It's a dead card against R.I.P. or Leylines of the Void. When I consider cards for SB, I'm looking for silver bullets or cards improving a certain match up. What do you have in mind to bring Lavamancer in against?

Quote Originally Posted by splorf View Post
    It's a dead card against R.I.P. or Leylines of the Void. When I consider cards for SB, I'm looking for silver bullets or cards improving a certain match up. What do you have in mind to bring Lavamancer in against?
    I have seen Lavamancer in the sidebord of MTGO 5-0 Reanimator and it was very surprising for me. I do not have much experience about the deck (cos i am new legacy player) and about sideboard especially but i think that Lavamancer can be pretty cool against Grixis Delver annoying and dangerous creatures: shaman, delver and pyromancer. Also grim guy is excellent versus Strix, maybe versus DnT creatures without mom protection. Right now i use Fatal Push and Decay against all of this threats, but maybe Lavamancer is just a better option.

He can be very useful in situations where opponent countered all of your spells and you both in topdeck mode - when Lavamancer is a clock and another corner of the attack. The corner that your opponent can not expect.

Thread Information