Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Manabase Stock
    6 fetch
    4 badlands - not sold on 4 right now haven't needed more than 3 in any game, and the games I went over 3 land, I got swamps for protection from wasteland. 7th fetch ?
    2 swamp
    1 mountain - I run the 4xSSG, and I have never even considered fetching for basic mountain yet.

Choice 1:
    6 fetch
    4 badland
    2 swamp
    1 bayou

SB: Unmask default or similar with Reverant Silence/decays

vs

Choice 2:
    6 fetch
    4 badlands
    2 swamp
    1 Scrubland

SB: with something like:
    3 Wear//Tear
    2 Needle

- Kind of feel like you don't want to be on a sneak attack plan with the wear//tear and instead just want to go full 4 blood moon, and just use the wear//tear into the chalice/leyline, the Red sneak attack plan just kinds of ignores the leyline and seems simpler.

What are your thoughts people ?

Quote Originally Posted by xix View Post
    Manabase Stock
    6 fetch
    4 badlands - not sold on 4 right now haven't needed more than 3 in any game, and the games I went over 3 land, I got swamps for protection from wasteland. 7th fetch ?
    2 swamp
    1 mountain - I run the 4xSSG, and I have never even considered fetching for basic mountain yet.

Choice 1:
    6 fetch
    4 badland
    2 swamp
    1 bayou

SB: Unmask default or similar with Reverant Silence/decays

vs

Choice 2:
    6 fetch
    4 badlands
    2 swamp
    1 Scrubland

SB: with something like:
    3 Wear//Tear
    2 Needle

- Kind of feel like you don't want to be on a sneak attack plan with the wear//tear and instead just want to go full 4 blood moon, and just use the wear//tear into the chalice/leyline, the Red sneak attack plan just kinds of ignores the leyline and seems simpler.

What are your thoughts people ?
    The board plan I'm considering at this time has me rooting more for option 2 right now.
    I'm currently running the main deck SSG / Collective Brutality version at the moment.

SB
    1 Elesh Norn
    1 Iona
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Wear//Tear
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Underground Sea

I'm finding the Sneak Attack plan to just be a tad slow and with the 4 petals and 2 USeas in board I haven't had any issues thus far getting a Show and Tell off.
    Wear//Tear has been very important. Chalice @ 1 and Leyline just plain hurt bad. This card hits them both.
    I personally have only cringed when drawing the basic mountain in either build in my opening hand. I'd rather run a 3rd swamp than the mountain at this point.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Crotos View Post
    The board plan I'm considering at this time has me rooting more for option 2 right now.
    I'm currently running the main deck SSG / Collective Brutality version at the moment.

SB
    1 Elesh Norn
    1 Iona
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Wear//Tear
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Underground Sea

I'm finding the Sneak Attack plan to just be a tad slow and with the 4 petals and 2 USeas in board I haven't had any issues thus far getting a Show and Tell off.
    Wear//Tear has been very important. Chalice @ 1 and Leyline just plain hurt bad. This card hits them both.
    I personally have only cringed when drawing the basic mountain in either build in my opening hand. I'd rather run a 3rd swamp than the mountain at this point.
    So I take it you run 4 Badlands / 6 Fetches main, and when you board in the Show and Tell - Underground Sea package you remove 2 Badlands and __________________??

If you're going to run Underground Seas in the sideboard to fetch, I would definitely play 8 fetches.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    If you're going to run Underground Seas in the sideboard to fetch, I would definitely play 8 fetches.
    So run 2 Badlands / 8 Fetches main, and when you board in the Show and Tell - Underground Sea package you remove 2 Fetches and __________________?? Otherwise you'd get crimped on red mana for Faithless Looting.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Played a 5 rounder this afternoon and had one BR Reanimator player that I got to watch a little (and play against one round). Got a little insight from him on creature choices but didn't have enough time for sideboard questions.

He was siding in Blood Moon against a lot of people, but what do you take out for it? I suppose the same goes for Abrupt Decay and Reverent Silence, since those are likely catch-alls that you might side in on the blind (especially Decay).

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Recommended anti-hate cards:

Abrupt Decay - covers most hate cards in general

Reverent Silence - hits Leyline of the Void, which Abrupt Decay can't...
    Both these cards are 4-of in the SB of the Bayou'ed version. 8 cards seems like a lot to bring in G2, but if you didn't win G1 it seems necessary as you don't know what version of GY hate the opponent might bring in. You can make some guesses in certain matchups, but some could bring hate you could only target with either Decay or Silence.
    Last edited by Zooligan; 11-14-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    Both these cards are 4-of in the SB of the Bayou'ed version. 8 cards seems like a lot to bring in G2, but if you didn't win G1 it seems necessary as you don't know what version of GY hate the opponent might bring in. You can make some guesses in certain matchups, but some could bring hate you could only target with either Decay or Silence.
    That's the issue I have with the Green version, you don't ever want that space for 8 total cards, which is why I'd like to move to Wear//Tear, you can hit anything for only 4 SB slots. Once you board in 7+ cards, it gets really weird of being able to consistently combo (though one can argue that you can go a bit slower with blood moon as the whole goal of the card is to make your opponent not really be able to play magic while you build up from there.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Nocley View Post
    That's the issue I have with the Green version, you don't ever want that space for 8 total cards, which is why I'd like to move to Wear//Tear, you can hit anything for only 4 SB slots. Once you board in 7+ cards, it gets really weird of being able to consistently combo (though one can argue that you can go a bit slower with blood moon as the whole goal of the card is to make your opponent not really be able to play magic while you build up from there.
    Mmm, yeah, that's a pretty big vote for W/T. Decay is just so good... except when the leylines start voiding your yard.

Oct 2016
    Germany

Mmm, yeah, that's a pretty big vote for W/T. Decay is just so good... except when the leylines start voiding your yard.
    The most decks can be beaten with being fast. The problem is just that Leyline can't be beaten with Tempo, all the other hate can. So I'd never leave the house without an answer for Leyline. That's why I play W/T over Decay. Sure Decay is very flexibel, but bringing in Decay means loosing Tempo, and without this loss of tempo in a lot of cases Decay wouldn't be needed.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin Coldman View Post
    The most decks can be beaten with being fast. The problem is just that Leyline can't be beaten with Tempo, all the other hate can. So I'd never leave the house without an answer for Leyline. That's why I play W/T over Decay. Sure Decay is very flexibel, but bringing in Decay means loosing Tempo, and without this loss of tempo in a lot of cases Decay wouldn't be needed.
    I like that analysis. Very nicely said.

OK, back to RobNC's question, what comes out for the 3 Blood Moon?

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I like that analysis. Very nicely said.

OK, back to RobNC's question, what comes out for the 3 Blood Moon?
    Or anything for that matter.

Even with the anti-hate, you're likely bringing in 4 Abrupt Decay, 4 Wear / Tear, or 4 Reverent Silence (or a mix of all of those), and/or Blood Moon as well.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Hey, so, got a question:

I was playing online and ended up in the mirror. We both showed Chancellor T0. He cast Faithless into my CotA and passed. I played a land and was holding Entomb, Reanimate x2, Faithless, CotA, and G-daddy. I wanted to cast one of my Reanimate into his CotA with no legal targets in the yard, but the program wouldn't let me. So, the question - is Reanimate bugged online or should it really not be castable without anything in graveyards?

Hey, so, got a question:

I was playing online and ended up in the mirror. We both showed Chancellor T0. He cast Faithless into my CotA and passed. I played a land and was holding Entomb, Reanimate x2, Faithless, CotA, and G-daddy. I wanted to cast one of my Reanimate into his CotA with no legal targets in the yard, but the program wouldn't let me. So, the question - is Reanimate bugged online or should it really not be castable without anything in graveyards?

Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

mtgo is correct. you need a target in order to place reanimate on the stack.

Jun 2016
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by haxorz View Post

Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

That's correct, but it's a really confusing card. Even looking at the updated Oracle text:

Enchant creature card in a graveyard

When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Animate Dead to it. When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.

Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.

http://magiccards.info/5e/en/2.html

The key thing is the first line: Enchant creature card in a graveyard. You apparently you need to have a valid target when you cast it.

Aug 2016
    Göttingen

Quote Originally Posted by Doneval View Post
    That's correct, but it's a really confusing card. Even looking at the updated Oracle text:

Enchant creature card in a graveyard

When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Animate Dead to it. When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.

Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.

http://magiccards.info/5e/en/2.html

The key thing is the first line: Enchant creature card in a graveyard. You apparently you need to have a valid target when you cast it.
    He was referring Reanimate, not Animate Dead.

Jun 2016
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by splorf View Post
    He was referring Reanimate, not Animate Dead.
    Doh! Sorry.

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Hey there folks,

Yesterday I split (3-0 and IDd the 4th round) my weekly Legacy tournament (15 people showed in). I won 2-0 vs Goblins, where I had to reanimate my Griselbrand four times (he Warren Weirded me, I Reanimated the Grizzy again, then he Weirded me again, then I Animated the Grizzy, then he Decayed my Animate Dead, then I topdecked Exhume and that was all), 2-1 vs Miracles (first match I was Terminus'd three times and won at 1 life by Simian beats!), 2-0 vs Lands, where Blood Moon shined, and then we played last round for fun and lost 0-2 vs Jund Pox (1st match he played Smallpox to kill my Griselbrand, I draw 7 but there were nothing good there so I lost shortly after, and I punted 2nd match when I kept a no-lander after mulliganing to 6 because I forgot I was on the play!). I lived the dream of playing turn 0 Chancellor + turn 1 reanimate fattie a couple of times. The deck is really, really that good. But again, I didn't need to side in Sneak Attack for any of my matches. Stronghold Gambit would have been better vs Lands and Jund Pox, but this would imply some changes in maindeck, and I don't want to do this right now.

This Saturday there will be the monthly Catalan Legacy League, where around 60 people are expected. We'll see how the deck performs then!
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by haxorz View Post

OK, this is interesting. I thought you could cast it, just that it would fizzle with no legal targets.

What is the difference in wording on a card in general that will
    a) let you place a spell on the stack that fizzles with no legal targets
    vs.
    b) keep you from placing a card on the stack with no legal targets

If this question is too general for this thread I could delete and ask in the rules/interactions forum.

EDIT: Nevermind. This is the same as the Red Elemental Blast vs. Pyroblast on non-blue spell thing. If Reanimate was worded "Return target card from a graveyard if it's a creature." i could have cast it targeting opponent's Faithless Looting and it would have fizzled because looting isn't a creature, but because there were no creatures in any GY it could not be cast. I get it now. Eventually dawn comes to the granite head of every mountain (all evidence from earlier this month aside)...

What is the difference in wording on a card in general that will
    a) let you place a spell on the stack that fizzles with no legal targets
    vs.
    b) keep you from placing a card on the stack with no legal targets

EDIT: Nevermind. This is the same as the Red Elemental Blast vs. Pyroblast on non-blue spell thing.
    Cards mentioning a target, always require a legal target when casting. Even Pyroblast needs a target, even though it’s sole requirement is being a spell or a permanent. But you couldn’t cast Pyroblast without a permanent on the battlefield, or a spell on the stack.
    You can always play exhume though, as it does not require a target, only when the spell resolves you need to choose (in worst case scenario, there’s nothing to choose and exhume does nothing for you). So if your opponent would remove a creature from your graveyard in response to exhume being cast, you get to choose another (whereas Reanimate, targetting a specific dead creature, would fizzle).

Thread Information