Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Aug 2016
    Göttingen

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Regarding Collective Brutality: This is a quite different take on Reanimator, but this card seems to be viable
    http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13314&d=278162&f=LE
    Last edited by splorf; 08-31-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks for the responses. I see how Tendrils is better against Lands. It's not really played here though, so I guess Dreams has a bit more value. I don't think I would run both, either.

Maybe Unmask and Brutality should be run together? Toss Unmask to Brutality for turn3-4 plays, and vice versa for T1 kills. Seems fun.

My friends have been borrowing my cards to run the 4 SSG 4 Chancellor dindonrea build to 2-2 standings locally. Maybe it's time to try a list with discard.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    My friends have been borrowing my cards to run the 4 SSG 4 Chancellor dindonrea build to 2-2 standings locally. Maybe it's time to try a list with discard.
    Interesting. I'd love to hear about their feedback on this build. This is the one I am running more than regularly.
    What were the decks they faced?

Over here, when playing this version, we realized that the deck allows to mulligan rather aggressively, especially since we aim at comboing off T1-T2.

Lately, we've been toying with Insolent Neonate as additional Draw/Discard outlet. And I even play a MD Magus of the Moon.

FNM didn't go very well.

R1 bye

R2 Deathblade 1-2 - lost game 1 because I drew three creatures for my first three draw steps. G3 he had 2 Surgical Extractions in his opener.

R3 Burn - 1-2 - in this match, saw 4 hands with no lands, 2 of which I kept but missed on mana on 5-6 draw steps. Completely ridiculous variance here, nothing to interpret in my opinion. I mean, I am pretty sure I keep dark ritual, entomb, exhume, 3 other cards on a mull to 6, with a scry to find a land or lotus petal in the top 3 cards would be acceptable.

R4 BR Griselbrand semi-mirror 2-0

My store has started playing multiple Surgical Extractions per deck, so it has been getting more difficult to Griselbrand people properly. I am playing 4 Chancellor and Animate Deads still, probably necessary because of all the Surgicals.

Not sure about your comment regarding the Animated Dead.
    Did you mean Exhume?
    'cause AD needs a target in the grave when you cast it.

Personal type of play when dealing with Surgical Extraction:
    -if possible- Entomb first a one-off target and (try to) reanimate it. The reason is fairly simple: if this one is getting extracted, no big harm done since the 4-offs targets are still 'available' for future reanimation spells. If it did not get extracted, you are still ahead with a fatty in play.
    Play cards like Stronghold Gambit (creature doesn't need to go to the graveyard) or Sneak Attack post-Side.
    Play more creatures post-side which can be hardcasted instead of solely reanimated (Sire of Insanity, Grave Titan, Inferno Titan or even Wurmcoil Engine). Avoiding to rely to much on your graveyard can create windows and reverse the game in an expected way.
    Maaaaaaaybe worth considering a switch with Gitaxian Probes and Cabal Therapies. Probes MD and Therapies in the SB for instance (or even a couple MD).

I mean, this is probably obvious to most... or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco111 View Post
    Interesting. I'd love to hear about their feedback on this build. This is the one I am running more than regularly.
    What were the decks they faced?

Over here, when playing this version, we realized that the deck allows to mulligan rather aggressively, especially since we aim at comboing off T1-T2.

Lately, we've been toying with Insolent Neonate as additional Draw/Discard outlet. And I even play a MD Magus of the Moon.
    I honestly don't know what they think of the deck. I haven't asked them. I think they mulligan and blow themselves up a lot. Funny enough, this guy on Maverick always beats his Reanimator opponents, even Dindonrea. Do you have a list that you can share?

You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

3-1 at a Sunday Legacy event to make top 4, then split top 4 for $60 credit each.

R1: UB Reanimator
    G1: He mulls to 5 but has turn 2 Griselbrand. He fortunately didn't get a chance to see what I was playing.
    G2: I reveal Chancellor and shred his hand with discard, then end up making a Chancellor and clock him with it.
    G3: I Faerie Macabre in response to a Thoughtseize, eating a Tidespout and Blazing Archon. I end up getting a Chancellor out and beating him down with it. I Entomb a Griselbrand just before his last possible turn so that Exhume returning his Griselbrand wouldn't be enough.

R2: Grixis Delver
    G1: Thoughtseize takes a DRS, then I combo with Griselbrand.
    G2: I decided to go on the Stronghold Gambit plan, mostly because the hate cards out of Delver decks have been moving towards Surgicals, up to even 4 copies. Unfortunately, despite having a great hand with a primary reanimation plan and a Gambit backup plan, I drew more copies of Griselbrand and he kept drawing creatures. Gitaxian Probe was invaluable here for him to know what I was planning.
    G3: More of a resounding defeat after he probes and sees my Gambit plan. If this matchup was easy this deck would be broken, so I guess we have to accept it.

R3: Infect
    G1: I have a turn 1 on the play reveal chancellor -> reanimate Chancellor. Over the next two draw steps I draw Entomb and Reanimate to make a Griselbrand to block his infect creature.
    G2: My attempt at making Griselbrand the first time gets hit by Crop Rotation for Bojuka Bog. However, he has no response for my 2nd attempt and Griselbrand hits play. He has a Glistener Elf in play. I draw 7 cards and hit a land for turn and a Thoughtseize, which takes the lethal Berserk in his hand (gives trample). I also have Abrupt Decay, so I am able to kill his Elf the next turn and easily win.

R4: Miracles
    G1: He mulls to 5 and I Thoughtseize before going off.
    G2: He mulls to 5 and I Thoughtseize before going off.

@DNSolver :I'm trying various builds of the deck and right now I'm following your footsteps as it provides consistency to the deck, thanks to the discard pack.
    Can I ask you to share an updated list of yours, just to compare. I'll really appreciate :)

And BTW, congratz !! Grixis seems a very difficult matchup, as they have more threatening hate that we can handle G2/3.

Current build:

4 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp

SB:
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Reverent Silence
    3 Stronghold Gambit
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    3 Faerie Macabre

I was thinking - based on the lists I see online, most builds opt to either splash green for Abrupt Decay out of the board or blue for Show and Tell. Since the color requirement for either is really just a single dual land of the splash color, would it really be that much of a stretch to include both colors and get the best of both worlds?

I'm thinking a manabase something like:

8 fetchlands
    3 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp

Then a sideboard:

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Show and Tell
    2 City of Traitors (when going Show and Tell route)
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 situational fatties

Is there something that I am just not thinking of? Because with this setup (compared to the BRg builds with Stronghold Gambit in the board), you are basically trading the much more conditional Gambit for Show and Tell at the cost of just one of your basics or Badlands. I think I might try this direction next...

So, when are you going to board in Abrupt Decay vs Show and Tell? What are your sideboard plans for each? Are you boarding in both?

I don't think that we can ever board in 8-10 cards for both, due to diluting the deck too much. I think that up to 4 discard spells are cuttable, or possibly 1-2 fast mana in the place of discard, or Children/Tendrils when facing a deck that folds to Griselbrand's lifelink.

If you can confidently list matchups where Decay is better vs where Show and Tell is better, and an in/out guide for each, go for it.

^ Well, when you say it like that, I guess there is no good reason to include both. That is the reason I asked the question.

I would never board in 8 cards. If Show and Tells in the blue version are intended for the same matchups that Abrupt Decay gets brought in for the green version, then I would prefer to just stick to green. Against Show and Tell decks, I would bring in the Gambits (our 6 mana Sire < their 8 mana Griselbrands).

So this deck took 2nd place at the 195-player BOM Paris.

http://www.bazaar-of-moxen.com/fr/ur...vent=21&evt=21

Interesting that he didn't play Children and a kill spell.

Cool list. I have thought about Insolent Neonate before but looks like he had some success. Looks like after G1 he sides in 4 Thoughtseize, 3 Blood Moon, 3 Sneak Attack. Seems pretty good with all of his fast mana.

After playing Chancellor of the Annex for a bit, I'm thinking more and more that beating Surgical Extraction is not realistic without Shallow Grave. I think we have to streamline the deck to beat other cards besides Surgical. The best way to do it is probabably without Chancellor. The BoM version looks fine with it I guess, but mostly because it has extra fast mana and such. I would still rather play discard main, so I am making these changes:

-4 Chancellor of the Annex
    +1 Inkwell Leviathan
    +1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    +1 Tidespout Tyrant
    +1 Sire of Insanity

SB:
    Find room for Archetype of Endurance (to replace Sire after sideboard, might find his way into the main over Sire)

Is anybody else looking at splashing the Redcap Experiment and Platinum Emperium combo in the deck? They basically gave us our own Tinker Colossus combo to fall back on, which is pretty redundant if you count Burning Wish as well.

Cast Madcap Experiment.

Reveal Lotus Petal.

Concede.

So if we wanted to run that, we would have to cut fast mana. We could replace them with Spirit Guides I guess? But keep in mind that in Legacy (and modern too) Platinum Emperion is pretty bad. He can easily gets hit with Swords to Plowshares, Maze of Ith, Liliana, Jace, etc. because he doesn't do anything when he comes into play and he doesn't fly, so he can get chumped. Even if we turn 1 him we are still not in great shape vs many of the decks in the format.

On paper this deck looks really fun, but after playing it I just don't see how anyone could have consistent success with it.

The player who finished 2nd at the BoM Paris I think was just running hot.

Could you guys convince me I'm wrong here?

I just think the blue splash version is hands down just better.

Blue version struggles against Death and Taxes and Miracles. This version destroys Death and Taxes and has a good chance against Miracles.

I'm going to add this to the primer OP because people are asking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Blue version struggles against Death and Taxes and Miracles. This version destroys Death and Taxes and has a good chance against Miracles.

I'm going to add this to the primer OP because people are asking about it.

Why is is better against D&T and Miracles? Also I would if you could try to post a sideboarding guide for "Chevallier Michel" top 8 list from BoM Paris. Maybe try and contact him. I'm curious how he sideboards.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    Why is is better against D&T and Miracles? Also I would if you could try to post a sideboarding guide for "Chevallier Michel" top 8 list from BoM Paris. Maybe try and contact him. I'm curious how he sideboards.

Thank you.
    Most played hate cards out of Death and Taxes: Grafdigger's Cage, Rest in Peace, Containment Priest, Relic of Progenitus, Phyrexian Revoker on Griselbrand, Thalia, etc.
    Relevant to a turn 1 combo on the play: none
    Relevant to a turn 1 combo on the draw: Grafdigger's Cage

Most played hate cards out of Miracles: Rest in Peace, Surgical Extraction, Containment Priest, Top/Balance combo, Force of Will, Pithing Needle
    Relevant to a turn 1 combo on the play: Surgical Extraction, Force of Will (sometimes)
    Relevant to a turn 1 combo on the draw: above, also Pithing Needle (sometimes)

TLDR Spending a turn cantripping isn't as good as having a turn 1 combo available if you need it. Right now, it is better to have more redundancy than counter backup, and to be a turn faster than a turn more protected.

If you have any idea how to contact that guy from the Bazaar of Moxen, let me know. I can't do anything unless he posts on here. I also don't know what the philosophy is behind the Sneak Attacks, or why there are only 3.

Thread Information