Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by marshalltj View Post
    Writeup from the 2nd place at MKM series: https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...br_reanimator/
    A super sweet list including Sandwurm Convergence, stomped it pretty handily though. Highlights include casting Collective Brutality on Veteran Explorer game one with both swamps still left in my library, ramping myself before reanimating Griselbrand and reanimating an Eternal Witness G2 to get back Exhume and getting my opponent's only creature out of his GY.
    Brutal reading for Nic Fit players.

I want to preserve this screenshot on this website.

Just got a 5-0 with my same list. 6 turn 1s, 2 game losses.

R1: Storm
    R2: BUG Delver
    R3: Doomsday
    R4: Eldrazi Ramp/12post
    R5: Grixis Delver
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Just got a 5-0 with my same list. 6 turn 1s, 2 game losses.
    Is it this one?

4x Chancellor of the Annex
    4x Griselbrand
    1x Tidespout Tyrant
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Collective Brutality
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Animate Dead
    4x Entomb
    4x Faithless Looting
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Chorme Mox
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Polluted Delta
    2x Swamp
    2x Badlands
    1x Bayou

SB:
    4x Abrupt Decay
    4x Reverent Silence
    3x Faerie Macabre
    1x Children of Korlis
    1x Archetype of Endurance
    1x Grave Titan
    1x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Is the green splash with Decay and Silence better than the white splash for Wear // Tear? It consumes more slots. I play BR with white splash in paper and I'm absolutely stoked on Wear // Tear.
    "Ach! Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoat!"

Quote Originally Posted by tarmogoat View Post
    Is it this one?

[...]

Is the green splash with Decay and Silence better than the white splash for Wear // Tear? It consumes more slots. I play BR with white splash in paper and I'm absolutely stoked on Wear // Tear.
    4x Griselbrand
    1x Tidespout Tyrant
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Collective Brutality
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Animate Dead
    4x Entomb
    4x Faithless Looting
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Chorme Mox
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    2x Badlands
    1x Bayou

SB:
    4x Abrupt Decay
    4x Reverent Silence
    4x Faerie Macabre
    1x Children of Korlis
    1x Duress

Fixed.

The worst matchup for the deck is Grixis Delver, and Decay + Collective Brutality is where you want to be in that matchup, I think. I guess if you're worried about Stompy decks with Leyline Wear/Tear might be a better choice, but I've been able to win without it. Besides, Wear/Tear doesn't do anything vs Faerie Macabre while Decay will always hit something in every deck.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

4x Griselbrand
    1x Tidespout Tyrant
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Collective Brutality
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Animate Dead
    4x Entomb
    4x Faithless Looting
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Chorme Mox
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    2x Badlands
    1x Bayou

SB:
    4x Abrupt Decay
    4x Reverent Silence
    4x Faerie Macabre
    1x Children of Korlis
    1x Duress

Fixed.

The worst matchup for the deck is Grixis Delver, and Decay + Collective Brutality is where you want to be in that matchup, I think. I guess if you're worried about Stompy decks with Leyline Wear/Tear might be a better choice, but I've been able to win without it. Besides, Wear/Tear doesn't do anything vs Faerie Macabre while Decay will always hit something in every deck.
    What are you side boarding out agaisnt Grixis Delver? I assume you are pulling in 4 Abrupt.

Vs Grixis Delver:

-1 Iona (doesn't race well like Tidespout or Griselbrand, doesn't daze everything and protect turn 1s like Chancellor)
    -1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Dark Ritual

+3 Abrupt Decay

If you see Grafdigger's Cage / Tormod's, bring in 4th Decay over another fast mana. 4th Decay is mainly for Chalice decks

Oct 2016
    Saint-Petersburg

Hello everyone, guys.
    I have a question:
    Against whom B/R reanimator wants to put Sire of Insanity first?
    In my opinion Lands... yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick752 View Post
    Hello everyone, guys.
    I have a question:
    Against whom B/R reanimator wants to put Sire of Insanity first?
    In my opinion Lands... yet ?
    Definitely most non-graveyard combo decks such as ANT and Show and Tell

Oct 2016
    Saint-Petersburg

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Grease View Post
    Definitely most non-graveyard combo decks such as ANT and Show and Tell
    But ANT can topdeck PiF and goin' to combo, no ?
    I think Sire of Insanity is the worst creature against ANT.
    Although... ANT will have very little chance of such a scenario. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick752 View Post
    But ANT can topdeck PiF and goin' to combo, no ?
    I think Sire of Insanity is the worst creature against ANT.
    Although... ANT will have very little chance of such a scenario. Thank you!
    Considering Sire is a 3-4 turn clock, it would require a very specific sequence of draws for them to be able to combo off through Pif if you reanimate it on turns 1-2 (which is what you should always go for, really).

Griselbrand would usually be good enough for the UB version, but since we don't play Force of Will it's quite possible that our discard off the draw 7 isn't fast enough, giving them a window turn to combo off.

Iona on black has historically been the go-to trump target against ANT, but it allows them a clean out in Chain of Vapor, which they will be free to cantrip for.

Since I believe that it's much more likely for them to have or cantrip into a Chain then to draw exactly Led-Led-Pif (or a similar combination), I'd argue that Sire of Insanity is actually the best creature against ANT.

That said, most of our targets (including Chancellor) are probably going to be good enough as long as we combo off in the first 2 turns, and the same can be said for the Show and Tell matchup, so I can understand people deeming Sire not worthy of being played. Me personally, I believe it's too fun not to sleeve up...

Sire of Insanity against LANDS? You lose to Maze, land land Loam, land chasm? Land Crop Rotation? Sire is *awful* against Lands, even on the play. When you have an Entomb G1, you almost always get Griselbrand (unless you already have one in the yard).

Against Storm, Griselbrand -> discard spells is best vs both versions. Then, against ANT Iona on black should be a lock G1. Against TES Sire would probably be my second-highest priority or second creature after Griselbrand. You guys who are getting Iona or Sire first need to read Griselbrand a few more times. Chancellor is a fine option to get after Griselbrand also, might be a better bet post-board.

Against Show and Tell, Griselbrand -> discard spells is best, followed by Tidespout Tyrant, then probably Iona on blue to beat Omniscience shenanigans. If you have Sire, it's fine turn 1 but after that they can topdeck out of it with Sneak Attack -> creature.

tl;dr don't run Sire, always get Griselbrand with Entomb

Against Storm, Griselbrand -> discard spells is best vs both versions. Then, against ANT Iona on black should be a lock G1. Against TES Sire would probably be my second-highest priority or second creature after Griselbrand. You guys who are getting Iona or Sire first need to read Griselbrand a few more times.

A
    If maindeck brutality over Unmask becomes the norm, then you'll need to draw both petal/mox AND a Thoughtseize to disrupt them immediately after an early reanimation. Chances are you'll win the game anyway but Sire will almost always give them fewer outs, and standard ANT lists have exactly 0 outs to Iona in G1. Arguing that the situations where Sire is better than other targets are too few and far between to justify its inclusion is one thing, but denying that those situations exist tells me you are the one who needs to do some extra reading or thinking on cards.

With that said, Sire IS pretty bad against Lands.

In my opinion Sire is a win more threat. Being able to Put a Griselbrand early and the next turn follow up with a Tidespout into bounce all -> Sire is a lock from which nobody can recover. But you had already won 9/10 times by just getting Griselbrand out, and 9.99/10 if followed up by Tidespout (or Iona). Sire is just the cherry on top, but it's not worth the trouble of going through the motion of a T1/2 reanimation as the all-in answer-me-or-die threat, Griselbrand will always be that threat. Also, against most decks Chancellor is better at preventing opponents from playing the game than Sire, mainly because it doesn't make you discard the cards that will get you more reanimation/disruption action while beating the same clock in the air.
    "Ach! Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoat!"

I'm trying to figure out if I should play this or DnT for Vegas. How do you guys feel against the main lists, e.g. grixis and bug Delver, the mirror, SnT? I'm guessing things like food chain and aluren are fairly good matchups.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The best strategy against this deck right now is Daze + FoW + Surgical (out of the board) + DRS + pressure. Delver decks fill that role. That being said, I don't think you give up the matchup; I've managed to win my share of games with Chancellor + combo on the play, or having discard plus decay or collective brutality to deal with two things. Definitely a winnable matchup because if you deal with DRS or Surgical, the rest of your deck is set up to beat soft counters (fast mana) and even Force (with plenty of redundancy).

Against Storm, Griselbrand -> discard spells is best vs both versions. Then, against ANT Iona on black should be a lock G1. Against TES Sire would probably be my second-highest priority or second creature after Griselbrand. You guys who are getting Iona or Sire first need to read Griselbrand a few more times. Chancellor is a fine option to get after Griselbrand also, might be a better bet post-board.
    Not replying for you specifically, but wanted to address Iona vs. ANT - In my testing I've found that post-board Iona on blue might be better. While it doesn't lock out their win con, it prevents them from removing Iona from the battlefield, and although it is probably technically possible for them to go off with black spells only (I don't play ANT so I'm not 100% on the math here), the odds of them assembling a such a kill with no access to cantrips while getting clocked for 7 a turn in the air seems highly improbable.

The maindeck discard seems to have become Collective Brutality + Thoughtseize. I've been run CB + Unmask though, and like to hear from others why they prefer maindeck Thoughtseize over Unmask.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    The maindeck discard seems to have become Collective Brutality + Thoughtseize. I've been run CB + Unmask though, and like to hear from others why they prefer maindeck Thoughtseize over Unmask.
    From my point of view there are four choices:
    1) Collective Brutality (CB) + Thoughtseize (TS)
    Better against DRS or when you don't draw Entomb/Faithless to discard fatties.

2) CB + Unmask (UM)
    Allows creature disruption and better draw 7s from Griselbrand.

3) TS + UM
    I like this because it's the fastest possible configuration and the deck NEEDS to be fast. Consumes precious sb slots though because you need CB against some matchups.

4) Mix (e.g. 3TS, 3UM, 2CB)
    This is what I'm testing now. I want the speed but also don't want to get randomly wrecked by DRS and Strix.

To answer your question, I think Thoughtseize is a better choice for game 2/3 since you can't just blindly go off T1 for fear of Extraction and just leading with T1 Land-Thoughtseize assures that you get rid of annoying hate first without losing cards for Unmask.

Oct 2016
    Saint-Petersburg

1)What do you think about 2-3 Pyroblasts post-side against Chain of Vapor (ANT) and Daze/FoW (delver deck) ?
    2)Is Sire of Insanity bad against infect ?

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

What's the plan against Sneak-n-Show other than "be faster"?

Thread Information