Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1498

Thread: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Re: [Primer] BRx Griselbrand Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by JaiAlai View Post
    Two questions:

1) Why maindeck Iona over Elesh Norn?
    If I were to consider alternatives to MD Iona, I would first think about Ruric Thar vs combo heavy meta, followed up by non-legendary alternatives (Blazing Archon, second Tidespout Tyrant, Archetype of Endurance, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Platinum Emperion, Inkwell Leviathan) vs Karakas, followed up by "accidentally ritual-castable" creatures (Grave Titan, Sire of Insanity, Massacre Wurm, Combustible Gearhulk, Wurmcoil Engine). Only after considering all of those alternatives, I would consider running a creature which is bounced by Karakas, impossible to cast off rituals and doesn't help in the combo MU (unless the opponent goes for Empty the Warrens tokens or Dredge Zombie tokens or has a wacky small creature based combo such as Aluren or NO Elves) = Elesh Norn.

Against creature based decks, we should be faster than them to begin with. If it's a hatebear, you are not likely to get that Elesh Norn into play through the hatebear in the first place and you should be looking for something ritual-castable.

Aug 2016
    Göttingen

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Against creature based decks, we should be faster than them to begin with. If it's a hatebear, you are not likely to get that Elesh Norn into play through the hatebear in the first place and you should be looking for something ritual-castable.
    Please explain how it's more likely to ritual out sth. through a hatebear vs. cheating Elesh Norn onto the board. Apart from being screwed anyway when a bunch of hatebears are already sticking around, I can't see the scenario where ritual-ing out sth. is better than a board-wiping Elesh Norn, which gets bounced or plowed eventually. However, I agree that we have to be faster in any case.

It's probably pointless to discuss Iona vs. Elesh anyway. They fill different roles and the question should be more like "in which meta is x or y good", presupposing 4 Chancellor and 3-4 Griselbrand are seeded and you have to fill 2-3 fatty-flex-spots.

Quote Originally Posted by splorf View Post
    Please explain how it's more likely to ritual out sth. through a hatebear vs. cheating Elesh Norn onto the board.
    I was mainly thinking about active DRS and Containment Priest when writing my post. Grave hate bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    If I were to consider alternatives to MD Iona, I would first think about Ruric Thar vs combo heavy meta, followed up by non-legendary alternatives (Blazing Archon, second Tidespout Tyrant, Archetype of Endurance, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Platinum Emperion, Inkwell Leviathan) vs Karakas, followed up by "accidentally ritual-castable" creatures (Grave Titan, Sire of Insanity, Massacre Wurm, Combustible Gearhulk, Wurmcoil Engine). Only after considering all of those alternatives, I would consider running a creature which is bounced by Karakas, impossible to cast off rituals and doesn't help in the combo MU (unless the opponent goes for Empty the Warrens tokens or Dredge Zombie tokens or has a wacky small creature based combo such as Aluren or NO Elves) = Elesh Norn.

Wow, you gave me a lot of creatures to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by JaiAlai View Post
    Wow, you gave me a lot of creatures to think about...
    If that's not enough to think about, have a look at GER highlander Reanimator lists for additional food for thought. I don't seem to find a decent contemporary Sultai or Grixis list online, though, which is a pity. But here is a 1 year old 4c list from mtgtop8.com:
    http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=12730&d=273794&f=HIGH

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Todd Anderson wrote his report on the deck on SCG premium. He splashed Blue 1 Sea for the 4 Show and Tell package in the board. Had Unmask MD over Brutality in the Board for the explosiveness and said that you really should play all in G1. He went 12-3 in the event. Here is his list and basically my take on what he said.

Creatures: 10
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Spells (37)
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask

Lands (13)

2 Swamp
    2 Badlands
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard

1 Coffin Purge
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Stronghold Gambit

He mentioned he did not really know what to do with the coffin purge and S pact. Explained he liked Brutality but in his opinion is best to use unmask after drawing a bunch g1 with G brand.
    Last edited by Darkness; 06-22-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Todd Anderson wrote his report on the deck on SCG premium. He splashed Blue 1 Sea for the 4 Show and Tell package in the board. Had Unmask MD over Brutality in the Board for the explosiveness and said that you really should play all in G1. He went 12-3 in the event. Here is his list and basically my take on what he said.

Creatures: 10
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Spells (37)
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask

Lands (13)

2 Swamp
    2 Badlands
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard

1 Coffin Purge
    1 Slaughter Pact
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Stronghold Gambit

He mentioned he did not really know what to do with the coffin purge and S pact. Explained he liked Brutality but in his opinion is best to use unmask after drawing a bunch g1 with G brand.
    mmm aren't we super weak to containement priest with such a build? having only brutality (sorcery speed) vs a flash speed threat makes me feel unconfortable

Oct 2016
    Saint-Petersburg

Quote Originally Posted by NegatorITA View Post
    mmm aren't we super weak to containement priest with such a build? having only brutality (sorcery speed) vs a flash speed threat makes me feel unconfortable
    What do you suggest ?

One question, against whom should we side-in Stronghold Gambit except Storm and Belcher, lol ?
    I think they are good match-ups for us and I would rather play Pyroblasts against Storm, so Iona on black and pyroblasts are waiting bounce-cards.
    Also, pyroblasts can help us against Chech Pile and other decks, which contain many counterspells.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick752 View Post
    One question, against whom should we side-in Stronghold Gambit except Storm and Belcher, lol ?
    Miracles lists without Mentor. Now that those are mostly gone from the metagame/replaced by Stoneforge Mystic UW and UWx builds, Stronghold Gambit is not as powerful as it used to be.

Red blasts, extra spot discard, Defense Grid, Pithing Needle (vs DRS), versatile artifact hate (e.g. Wear / Tear or Abrupt Decay vs Grafdigger's Cage), Show and Tell are all valid alternatives.

Gambit isn't good against Belcher; they have 12 creatures (assuming no Street Wraiths).

Thoughtseize takes Containment Priest, and Dark Ritual helps the deck get under Containment Priest.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Gambit isn't good against Belcher; they have 12 creatures (assuming no Street Wraiths).

Thoughtseize takes Containment Priest, and Dark Ritual helps the deck get under Containment Priest.
    He Solver! Been a while since you've posted to the thread. Are you still on the BRg list or have you been trying the white splash?

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to post the list (with a white splash) which I have been doing well with in local tournaments.

4x Chancellor of the Annex
    4x Griselbrand
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1x Sire of Insanity

4x Entomb
    4x Faithless Looting

4x Reanimate
    4x Entomb
    4x Animate Dead

4x Unmask
    4x Cabal Therapy

4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Chrome Mox

4x Bloodstianed Mire
    3x Polluted Delta
    2x Badlands
    1x Scrubland
    2x Swamp

Sideboard:
    1x Ashen Rider
    1x Elesh Norn
    3x Wear // Tear
    2x Collective Brutality
    2x Fatal Push
    2x Thoughtseize
    4x Young Pyromancer

The Pyromancers come in in grindy matchups, like 4c Loam, Shardless and Food Chain, as it is a threat which they are not setup to deal with post-board. Works quite nicely, and is the main reason why I am running Cabal Therapy in the main deck over Thoughtseize. (You can also do some nasty stuff with Therapy + Rider)

Using a 2-2 split of Push and Brutality so I can answer a Containment Priest whilst a reanimation spell is on the stack.

Aug 2016
    Göttingen

Quote Originally Posted by AmusedGryphon View Post
    Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to post the list (with a white splash) which I have been doing well with in local tournaments.

4x Chancellor of the Annex
    4x Griselbrand
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1x Sire of Insanity

4x Entomb
    4x Faithless Looting

4x Reanimate
    4x Entomb
    4x Animate Dead

4x Unmask
    4x Cabal Therapy

4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Chrome Mox

4x Bloodstianed Mire
    3x Polluted Delta
    2x Badlands
    1x Scrubland
    2x Swamp

Sideboard:
    1x Ashen Rider
    1x Elesh Norn
    3x Wear // Tear
    2x Collective Brutality
    2x Fatal Push
    2x Thoughtseize
    4x Young Pyromancer

The Pyromancers come in in grindy matchups, like 4c Loam, Shardless and Food Chain, as it is a threat which they are not setup to deal with post-board. Works quite nicely, and is the main reason why I am running Cabal Therapy in the main deck over Thoughtseize. (You can also do some nasty stuff with Therapy + Rider)

Using a 2-2 split of Push and Brutality so I can answer a Containment Priest whilst a reanimation spell is on the stack.
    Interesting list! What do you board for Pyromancer?

I've had some good results recently by utilizing a Burning Wish sideboard. It's relatively easy to board without diluting the main strategy too much. Postboard Games are usually slower anyway and the toolbox added some resilience to combo off later in the game. Especially against D&T and Stoneblade it's sweet to be able to fetch for Massacre.

I've had some good results recently by utilizing a Burning Wish sideboard. It's relatively easy to board without diluting the main strategy too much. Postboard Games are usually slower anyway and the toolbox added some resilience to combo off later in the game. Especially against D&T and Stoneblade it's sweet to be able to fetch for Massacre.
    If you are using Burning Wish, you might as well go full Burning Reanimator and have Tendrills and Empty the Warrens in the SB so sometimes you can storm out once you land Griselbrand.

I generally do a straight swap for Unmask, as Unmask is a poor topdeck in the late game in grindy matchups. Then I straight replacing Moxen and Petals with the various anti-hate cards required for the matchup.

Aug 2016
    Göttingen

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    If you are using Burning Wish, you might as well go full Burning Reanimator and have Tendrills and Empty the Warrens in the SB so sometimes you can storm out once you land Griselbrand.
    This would require more dedication in form of LEDs and so on. My mainboard is pretty stock, except of one Cabal Therapy instead of the 4th Collective Brutality and Ashen Rider instead of Tidespout Tyrant. Currently it looks like this:

4 Burning Wish
    3 Sneak Attack
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Elesh Norn
    1 Stronghold Gambit
    1 Show and Tell
    1 Massacre
    1 Stitch Together
    1 Meltdown
    1 Chainer's Edict

What do you think about this monoblack version? Ninth place at the Legacy Challege: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...nge-2017-06-26

Creature (10)
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Sire of Insanity
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

Sorcery (20)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize

Instant (8)
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb

Artifact (6)
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal

Enchantment (4)
    4 Animate Dead

Land (12)
    12 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
    1 Archetype of Endurance
    4 Cryptbreaker
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 Pack Rat
    4 Ratchet Bomb

freebird
    Oct 2013
    Atlanta, GA

For builds running MD playsets of Thoughtseize and Collective Brutality and a Scrubland, what cards normally get sided out when you think you need the 4 Wear//Tear?

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by biglongjohns View Post
    For builds running MD playsets of Thoughtseize and Collective Brutality and a Scrubland, what cards normally get sided out when you think you need the 4 Wear//Tear?
    I tend to take out some mix of Discard and reanimate spells. I keep looting in to help dig. I am running the 3 Thoughtsieze/1 Unmask plan with 4 Wear//Tear in the board. I like the Brutality because it dodges Chalice on 1 and still gives you some discard outlet for a fattie.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I tend to take out some mix of Discard and reanimate spells. I keep looting in to help dig. I am running the 3 Thoughtsieze/1 Unmask plan with 4 Wear//Tear in the board. I like the Brutality because it dodges Chalice on 1 and still gives you some discard outlet for a fattie.
    How are you liking the 4 CB/3 TS/1 UM plan? Is it working out for you the way it has for me (i.e., TS in opening hand more often, Unmask available after many Grisel 7-14 when card disadvantage it creates isn't really a disadvantage, CB just a super-flexible house of a card)?

Thread Information