Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oracle Opposition

Mar 2014
    London

Oracle Opposition

Hi, my friend Pierre came Top8 at Bazaar of Moxen Strasbourg with this SWEET GUb Opposition deck.

Main
    2 Bayou
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    3 Gaea’s Cradle
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Verdant Catacombs

4 Coiling Oracle
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Shardless Agent
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth
    1 Wirewood Symbiote

3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    3 Opposition

3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Green Sun’s Zentih

Side
    2 Dismember
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Spellskite
    1 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Thoughtseize
    3 Winter Orb

He wrote about it for me here. Matchups and sideboard etc

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com/oracle-opposition/

CFB and SCG have featured it on their main pages as well if you want a different take.

http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...on-deck-guide/
    http://www.starcitygames.com/article...Destroyed.html

Hope you enjoy it!

Sib
    Last edited by Sibelius; 04-13-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Re: Oracle Opposition

I think this deck is super interesting. I was already trying out CloudVine when this deck showed up. Still going CloudVine route but with Oppositions, but might try this deck straight if it doesn't work out.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

One word why this deck doesn't get decent results: Terminus :/

Feb 2014

Why should this deck care about it?

Otherwise to me the deck looks so sweet. I would just look at a way to improve combo MUs.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

With that many Elves, I could see a singleton Birchlore Rangers add some value. An extra mana here or there can be crucial at times. Same goes for a Quirion Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I have played the deck in two local events here in NY.

went 4-0 the first night, against
    eldrazi
    eldrazi
    merfolk
    infect
    (i had – 1 trop +1 Cradle for that night)

last night I played it again, but cut 1 visionary for a 2nd symbiote
    made some sb changes this time as well (had played an extra surgical and a Marsh casualties… I can’t recall if I had the 4th abrupt decay in the sb this time. will have to look at the physical cards.

went 4-0 again
    burn
    aggro loam
    miracles
    eldrazi

i have been sideboarding differently in the eldrazi match-ups and miracles match-up than what Pierre has suggested in his library post.

i had noticed that the deck is pretty mana hungry and the deck sometimes can fail on itself of you don't get 2 lands in play (and they hit a removal spell)

edit : went through match history on modo.

modo league 1: (2-3)

list was pierre's 75 list exact

0-2 elves (he trounced me)
    0-2 storm (he trounced me)
    0-2 infect (his draws were above average but he got there)
    2-1 standstill (i think his draws were okay, and i just cantripped too many times)
    2-1 reanimator (i had good draws)

modo league 2: (2-3)

i changed a few cards here.

-1 visionary, -4 probe, -2 therapy
    +1 symbiote, +1 deathrite shaman, +2 winter orb, +2 thorn of amethyst
    sb had added a marsh casualties and a 4th abrupt decay (cutting 1 dismember and something else)

1-2 infect (marsh casualties was an autowin during game 2. game 3 he brainstormed into invigorate when i was at 5 counters turn before opposition prison lock)
    2-0 ur delver (kept him off price of progress and abrupt decayed some guys)
    2-1 eldrazi (this matchup seems pretty favorable overall)
    1-2 bug nic fit (he had multiple deeds and wrecked me with cabal therapies. he also was the reanimator player i beat in the previous league so his blind therapies were good.)
    1-2 miracles (i think i made a few misplays here as i had thorn out game 3 and didn't sequence things properly with shardless agents.)

-rob
    Last edited by mistercakes; 07-20-2016 at 12:04 AM.
    -rob

Mar 2014
    London

I think like any new deck there needs to be alot of practice with it before we decide what 'Tier' it is. That categorisation can often be a limiting factor on people picking it up so I think it would be best to shift away from such thoughts.
    The deck is obviously powerful as Pierre did so well. He is also kinda good at magic ....

Here are some Videos from the tournament. He was on camera ALOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1pM_nbcISg - top8 vs Elves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5M1P7aNHgo - Round 7 vs Lands :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyU4FlirAxc - Round 4 vs Julian Knab Elves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8x4L1_yQ0 - Round 2 vs Lands

Hope this helps

Sib

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I am 8-0 in local events so I'm very happy with the deck's performance. I didn't mean to focus on the tier comment, it was more of a push to play a deck because it's enjoyable.
    -rob

Jun 2010
    Germany

As an old Elves player, I got really excited about Opposition.

Took the 'stock list' and cut 3 Garruk, 1 Underground Sea, 1 Dryad Arbor 3 Shardless Agent for: 2 Tamiyo, Field Resarcher 1 Fetch 2 Savannah 1 Quirion Ranger 1 Scavenging Ooze 1 Reclamation Sage. Because of this I change I cut the 3rd Cradle for 2nd Wirewood Symbiote.
    And my SB looks like this:
    4 Force of Will
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Winter Orb
    2 Dismember
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Garruk Relentless

I think this configuration gives me a nice edge vs combo (high blue count and t0 interaction) & also Lands, Meddling Mage on Fire/Loam is huge while using Winter Orb or other effects to hinder them. Mage is also usable vs Miracles.

I am just starting to test this, so let's see if Tamiyo is worth it! I might go back to Shardless Agents for the blue count and CA but I really like these bullets in the maindeck.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeezay View Post
    As an old Elves player, I got really excited about Opposition.

Took the 'stock list' and cut 3 Garruk, 1 Underground Sea, 1 Dryad Arbor 3 Shardless Agent for: 2 Tamiyo, Field Resarcher 1 Fetch 2 Savannah 1 Quirion Ranger 1 Scavenging Ooze 1 Reclamation Sage. Because of this I change I cut the 3rd Cradle for 2nd Wirewood Symbiote.
    And my SB looks like this:
    4 Force of Will
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Winter Orb
    2 Dismember
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Garruk Relentless

I think this configuration gives me a nice edge vs combo (high blue count and t0 interaction) & also Lands, Meddling Mage on Fire/Loam is huge while using Winter Orb or other effects to hinder them. Mage is also usable vs Miracles.

I am just starting to test this, so let's see if Tamiyo is worth it! I might go back to Shardless Agents for the blue count and CA but I really like these bullets in the maindeck.
    sounds rather fun. i would argue that cutting the land is probably not correct. cut 1 of the cantrip guys over cutting the land. i do like the idea of a tamiyo or two. definitely worth trying out!

also try running garruk wildspeaker at least as a 1 of if you haven't so far. out of my wins with this deck many of them were because of garruk. anyway, best of luck with testing.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

modo league 3:

went back to original list -1 visionary +1 symbiote
    sb is
    pierre's -1 spellbomb, -1 dismember, +1 marsh casualties, +1 surgical extraction

2-0 reanimator
    0-2 storm (game 2 i surgicaled his infernal tutors on turn 1, but i just stumbled around after that and he was able to find his past in flames and tendrils without any tutors)
    0-0 was winning game 1 of miracles then server crashed
    0-2 omni show (game 1 he rips show and tell with only emrakul left in hand, game 2 my hand wasn't disruptive enough)
    0-2 sneak and show (game 1 he beats me, game 2 i surgical his show and tell. he has a turn 1 top and is able to find a sneak attack + grisel into emrakul off. not much i can do there)
    2-0 eldrazi (i had pretty decent draws, game 1 he had a fast start but i got a cabal therapy on 2 reality smasher...then i stabilized b/c he didn't want to attack. game 2 i got an early opposition and was able to kill his jitte)

really disappointed in magic online. i've played vs clashed in each of my leagues. while he is a good player, i would welcome more delver decks (he tends to play unfair blue decks).

matchups over 3 leagues + 1 server crash game

2 show and tell decks
    2 miracles
    2 storm
    2 infect
    2 reanimator
    1 eldrazi
    1 elves
    1 ur delver
    1 bug nic fit
    1 ur standstill

i thought delver was supposed to be popular.

would still like to figure out which matches are favorable or not with this list, so including paper games as well.

5 eldrazi (5-0)
    3 infect (1-2)
    3 miracles (1-1 + server crash)
    2 show and tell decks (0-2)
    2 storm (0-2)
    2 reanimator (2-0)
    1 elves (0-1)
    1 ur delver (1-0)
    1 bug nic fit (0-1)
    1 ur standstill (1-0)
    1 merfolk (1-0)
    1 burn (1-0)
    1 aggro loam (1-0)

23 matches, still not a sign of rug/bug/4c/grixis delver, shardless, lands, death and taxes, mud, 12 post, dredge
    lots of eldrazi though. i guess keep them coming.

thoughts? comments?
    Last edited by mistercakes; 07-21-2016 at 08:18 PM.
    -rob

This deck looks like a TON of fun! Unfortunately for me my meta is 50% combo so it's not a good idea to play it stock.

Why does this deck not run Brainstorm? And why 8 cantrip creatures? Seems way too redundant. I think cutting all 3 Shardless Agents and 1 Visionary for 4 Brainstorm could be a good call. I've goldfished it a few times and already cascaded into blank zeniths (already found both dryads).
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

using both dryads isn't very common, but it's not the best when it does. i have gone down to 2 shardless agents, and have considered brainstorm a lot for this deck.

the deck functions very well without brainstorm (sometimes blue mana isn't the easiest to come by)

also - just because you want to try brainstorm doesn't mean you need to run a full playset.

my current list is:

2 Bayou
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    4 Gaea’s Cradle
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs

4 Coiling Oracle
    3 Elvish Visionary
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth
    2 Wirewood Symbiote

3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    3 Opposition

3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Green Sun’s Zentih

i'm not sure what you could cut, i guess you could cut a land from this list to start...possibly a 2nd visionary, and maybe the 2nd symbiote.

current sb is:

Side
    1 Dismember
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Spellskite
    1 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Thoughtseize
    3 Winter Orb
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    -rob

Aug 2010
    Belgium

How about Equilibrium or Cloudstone Curio?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

what problem are those cards trying to solve? i'd recommend trying the deck a bunch before changing it. that should always be the first step. can you outline some of the difficulties the deck has?

so far my losses have been to faster combo decks, i'm okay with that. it's not meant to beat everything. you still can due to having good cabal therapies sometimes, and post sb you have access to some cards they may find difficult.
    -rob

I have goldfished the stock list and it is really fun and functions very well, but yeah it definitely looks soft to combo. I think you could cut the 4th cradle, 3rd visionary, 4th GSZ, 2nd Arbor or 4th hierarch/deathrite. There's not much of a toolbox in the deck anyway so I think the 4th gsz can go. Brainstorm helps find stuff anyway.

Edit: I have tried with -3 shardless - 1 visionary +4 brainstorm and it seems great. Just having ways to improve clunky hands is fantastic. I don't want those 4 cards against my meta anyway, so I might as well replace them with ways to find therapy.

You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

again I'd recommend actually playing the games with the deck. the snake is easily the 2nd best card in the deck besides the Cradle and maybe garruk.
    -rob

I agree with you, I never mentioned cutting Oracle because I know it's one of the best cards. I will play some games with it soon, but I will start with 0 Shardless and 3 Visionary for 4 Brainstorm.

Mar 2014
    London

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    I agree with you, I never mentioned cutting Oracle because I know it's one of the best cards. I will play some games with it soon, but I will start with 0 Shardless and 3 Visionary for 4 Brainstorm.
    So cut actual card advantage for pseudo card advantage, seems bad. As does removing 4 creatures which is the entire point of the deck. You can't tap them out with Brainstorms. You can't overrun them with Brainstorms ...

I'm in a 50% combo meta. The turn I tap 3 for a creature, I'm dead as a dodo. Maybe this is just not a good deck to play where I live, but whatever, I'll try it anyway.

Thread Information