Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oracle Opposition

Aug 2008
    Slovenia

Re: Oracle Opposition

1-of Deranged Hermit (in place of 1 Garruk) is hilarious and surprisingly good in testing as it does both power up Opposition and close games quickly if need be.

Other changes I've been liking is adding Quirion Ranger & Scryb Sprites. I'm still on the fence about BS (would probably come in for the Probes but the deck is mana hungry as is).

Reminder for the storm matchup: all their mana sources besides LED need tapping and they are very sequence dependent, getting Oppo online asap is a big part in winning against storm (that and accepting a good part of SB will have to be dedicated to combo hate. BUG Nic Fit is a good place to start scavenging for ideas).

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by DireLemming View Post
    Other changes I've been liking is adding Quirion Ranger
    Called it a week ago!
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm not sure there's enough mana guys to support Ranger. it'll never be a terrible card, but I think it's a lot worse in this deck than in a deck playing nettle sentinel.
    -rob

Dec 2013

Are you confusing Quirion Ranger for Birchlore Rangers, by any chance..? Quirion works wonders with any mana dork, Birchlore cares specifically about Elves.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

If I can get the Oppositions in the mail this week (seems no one around locally has any) then I'll take the deck to a couple of small legacy events this weekend.

Quirion is a good addition - I've always been impressed that Forest + Dryad Arbor + Quirion produces 4 mana by itself. And I do like that Deranged Hermit is sort of a Zenithable Garruk. Seems worse in the Miracles matchup though, which makes me hesitant.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

well when you are ramping with Quirion it's to power out a massive amount of guys, this deck hasn't been so explosive. I'm not against trying it. also brainstorm could be great to ramp snake into Cradle.
    -rob

Jun 2010
    Germany

Quirion Ranger also works well with the 3 Winter Orbs from the sideboard.

Btw I played an Edric last FNM, drew me 4 cards once and 3 cards the other time (it always got killed by removal after one attack). And sadly, he got Pyroblasted vs Miracles. Glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeezay View Post
    Quirion Ranger also works well with the 3 Winter Orbs from the sideboard.

Btw I played an Edric last FNM, drew me 4 cards once and 3 cards the other time (it always got killed by removal after one attack). And sadly, he got Pyroblasted vs Miracles. Glorious!
    Nice!

I plan to test an Edric as well, in place of one of the Agents, I think. I have played a version of Nic Fit BUG and fondly remember landing Edric against a slowrolling 12Post player. Swing in with team, draw 2 cards, play some Vets and small guys. Next turn swing, draw 4 cards, play more small guys. Next turn swing, draw 6 cards...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i do agree that shardless is the weakest link in this deck. this was also the recommended cut by canali. the winter orb + ranger is a good interaction. might make more sense to run orbs in the maindeck in that case, but again this deck is quite good vs most of the fair decks (miracles included although orb would improve it more)

haven't tried edric yet, seems like it could be great. i'd rather run that over the brainstorms and it seems like it would be a fantastic gsz tutor target. the other option is to run a gaddock teeg somewhere in the 75, even though it's horrible with 10 cards in the deck, it shuts storm out until they have an answer...and you do have therapy to sacrifice or abrupt decay if you want to play them if the time is right.

alex: what part of germany are you in?
    -rob

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by DireLemming View Post
    1-of Deranged Hermit (in place of 1 Garruk) is hilarious and surprisingly good in testing as it does both power up Opposition and close games quickly if need be.
    As soon as I saw that someone had Top 8'd a Legacy tournament with an Opposition deck I started picking up the cards I needed for it, I have played Opposition in Legacy in the past, but never has it looked so powerful (and fun) to me.

Interestingly enough I drafted a friends Legacy Cube yesterday and after first picking an Opposition I ended up drafting this:

I was pretty excited to basically play the cube version of the deck I have been playtesting. Games went very smoothly, Opposition is broken in cube especially with a lot of token enablers and ramp.

My point here is, this draft got me thinking about playing Deranged Hermit in Pierre's list. Every time I put him into play I won, very easily. He either closes the game out very quickly, or forces the hard lock with Opposition.

I have started to test him in place of 1 Garruk as well and have so far been very impressed, also nothing beats the look on people's faces when you put a Deranged Hermit into play in Legacy!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

would love to try to fit a skyshroud poacher somehow. he can tutor up the squirrel man, snake, or visionary, or the EtB disenchant guy. living the dream...
    -rob

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    well when you are ramping with Quirion it's to power out a massive amount of guys, this deck hasn't been so explosive. I'm not against trying it. also brainstorm could be great to ramp snake into Cradle.
    You could also use it to power out an Opposition, after which you use Quirion for extra Opposition activations. If you don't have any lands to drop, you can use Quirion Ranger to untap both a Dryad Arbor (by returning it to your hand) and another creature. That's 2 extra Opposition activations @ zero cost.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Mar 2014
    London

Another 3rd part 'Deck Tech'

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/carlos...posing-forces/

Ill add it to the op

Sib

Dec 2013

One comment on the article:

"This may seem like a deck that’s weak against Terminus and can’t reasonably deal with decks like Show and Tell. However, you can tap down your opponent’s White sources in response to miracle triggers or during their upkeep."
    Tap the white source in response to the miracle trigger? Seriously. You can't expect your opponent to be that stupid.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    One comment on the article:

Tap the white source in response to the miracle trigger? Seriously. You can't expect your opponent to be that stupid.
    Agree 100%. Tapping manasources as an answer to a trigger?
    And "this may seem weak to show and tell"? Seriously? Sneak and show is the only combo deck against which opposition is obviously great.

I do not think this article add anything or should be linked in the OP. It's a poor piece of work.

Mar 2014
    London

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Agree 100%. Tapping manasources as an answer to a trigger?
    And "this may seem weak to show and tell"? Seriously? Sneak and show is the only combo deck against which opposition is obviously great.

I do not think this article add anything or should be linked in the OP. It's a poor piece of work.
    Ok. Deleted

Sib

Jun 2010
    Germany

I don't think you really read all of it. He said that someone new to this deck/card may assume that it is bad vs miracles/SnT but then he says it is definitely good to tap Grisel/Emrakul & I think he meant it's obviously better to tap white mana in the ukpeep.

I tested the original list yesterday against Grixis Delver and Lands. Maybe it's just me, but against Lands it was horrible. Even after side with me bringing in Ooze, Surgical, Orb, PNeedle and Spellskite, it was not enough. PFire cleans up our whole board, Wasteland eradicates our mana and they have a fast clock in Marit. I never felt in a winning mood, even when I was winning (that lone game I mean).
    Against Grixis it was a bit better, but definitely not a good MU. I was really planning on playing the deck this weekend, but after such a testsession, I'm not courageous enough to do it. Back to the old Elves build I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Darklingske View Post
    I tested the original list yesterday against Grixis Delver and Lands. Maybe it's just me, but against Lands it was horrible. Even after side with me bringing in Ooze, Surgical, Orb, PNeedle and Spellskite, it was not enough. PFire cleans up our whole board, Wasteland eradicates our mana and they have a fast clock in Marit. I never felt in a winning mood, even when I was winning (that lone game I mean).
    Against Grixis it was a bit better, but definitely not a good MU. I was really planning on playing the deck this weekend, but after such a testsession, I'm not courageous enough to do it. Back to the old Elves build I guess...
    Do you think that multiple Spellskite would be the key against Lands? More graveyard hate? I don't own even a Spellskite, wondering if I really need to pick a couple up before going to two tournaments this weekend. The lack of much card selection in here makes me want to try for a sideboard of mainly 2 of's, but that is tough.

Think my sideboard is going to be:
    1 Dismember
    3 Winter Orb
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Null Rod

I've been impressed with goldfishing - several times having Opposition + 5 creatures on turn 4. Of course, everything looks swell without any resistance. Will have to get some practice reps in with some buddies tonight. I've opted for -1 Agent +1 Edric but if testing tonight seems iffy with him, I'll go back to 3 Agents, they do seem sweet when you simply need more bodies. And I've made room for a Quirion Ranger who seems easier to activate if you have only managed to get Hierarchs or Dryad Arbors or Agents in play.

To improve the lands MU, I think we need more GY-hate. The spellskite could be another spellbomb or even a Relic of Progenitus.

Thread Information