Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oracle Opposition

Re: Oracle Opposition

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    maybe drop 1 nettle for 1 garruk.

garruk also makes 3/3/s for opposition!
    I tried this, really enjoyed the Garruk. I only saw it against Miracles though. Winter Orb gave me enough time to get multiple 3/3 beasts onto the field and have a ton of pressure.

I went undefeated and split finals with a 4c Delver list, who ran me over in two friendly games. I beat 12Post, NO Rug, and Miracles. 12Post I was able to get Opposition out early and then completely lock him down, then barely got a Hoof out in time in game 3 to win before he did shenanigans. NO Rug I had quick Hoof game 1, then in game 2 he punted and got Elderscale Wurm instead of Progenitus when I didn't have much of a board. I had time to get Opposition out and take over the game, and eventually find a DRS to drain him below 7. Think I had up to 25 wolf tokens thanks to WRP. Miracles I saw the power of Winter Orb, albeit my opponent had some poor hands in games 2 and 3.

My side was:
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker
    2 Winter Orb
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Flusterstorm

I'd echo @kalkhasse:

So in my limited testing the deck felt almost like a more midrange Elves deck, which is all nice since I like that aspect of Elves. But I also felt that except for Garruk the deck is very sensitive to the same hate as regular Elves but slow enough that you always have to play through it since you rarely have the option to combo off before hate comes online.
    I really like that getting Opposition into play even while you have only 1 or 2 creatures can really help stabilize and then completely take over the game. Enjoyed it more than Natural Order in this aspect. Yet we can be a tad slower and thus our creatures are more sensitive to early wraths and such. Not sure if hand disruption from the side should come in against red decks, or stuff like Flusterstorm.

The manabase is really difficult - I am going to go down to possibly 1 or 0 Coiling Oracles since they seem clunky. I do really like them as sort of classy Visionaries...maybe 1 to GSZ for once I have Symbiote engine going. I will try to add another Nettle Sentinel and Birchlore Rangers. The rangers' ability to add mana of any color seemed very key to being able to get down Opposition. Garruk I think I'll leave just to the side.

So something even closer to traditional Elves, albeit with more focus on Birchlore. Not sure if Winter Orb is worth the mainboard, there are many decks that won't care that much.

Same list as before, but -1 Oracle, -1 Winter Orb, +1 Birchlore Rangers, +1 Glimpse of Nature. I'll probably go to 7 fetches and add another Bayou, since I had trouble casting Decays from the side.

How do you guys like the new Legendary BUG elf?

Quote Originally Posted by James718 View Post
    How do you guys like the new Legendary BUG elf?
    I think he deserves a sideboard slot at least and a maindeck possibility for GSZ. I like that he helps us stay up on creature count in face of removal and also helps out vs Wastelands.

Feb 2014

I played the deck yesterday to an awful 3-3 record.
    The deck felt like it had an unbeatable endgame (I played 4 WS and they were by far the best performing cards of the evening), but very soft to very fast strategy.

Played 2 cavern of souls, and they were underwhelming.

Got beaten by reanimator (G1 Entomb T1, rea Elesh T2; G2 win with discard, ooze and drs; G3 loss despite a 2 DRS, discard and ooze hand), Death shadow (way to fast to be handled) and storm (mulled hands in G1 and G2 that would have been perfect if CoS was a fetchland or bayou).

The deck was fun to play, but felt softer to fast strategies than I thought (I ran the 4 GP - 4 CT 1 daze MD alongside 3 seize, 1 SE, 1 CotV, 1 daze, 1 flusterstorm SB).
    It is of course to small a sample to draw conclusions from it, but that was how it felt.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think maybe you just got a bit unlucky. i had good hands vs a storm player and likely the same shadow deck while i was over there and managed to squeak out some wins. they were almost exclusively due to well timed therapies and some abrupt decays...i do agree though that is part of the deck's weakness and it might just be worth it as sometimes you'll get lucky and not play vs the fast decks. can't beat everything, but you can have fun and win sometimes :)

-rob
    -rob

I tried playing this yesterday (the BUG version) and board wipes are blowouts. I may try the bant version next.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I feel like this deck holds up to sweepers decently but you'll need to play more symbiotes. the 8 cantrip guys are pretty effective at ensuring you always have some extras post sweep. it's possible you didn't have good draws.
    -rob

I only played 2 symbiotes. My version had 3 visionaries , 4 oracles and 2 brainstorms. I cut all Shardless agents

Has anyone tried Alluren in here?

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I really liked the Bant version, has anyone tried out Leovold?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i don't think anyone has tried the new guy yet, i haven't been able to make it out to a tourney in a few weeks now (other than a starcity, where i played a different deck). i will do some testing over the next few weeks.

-Rob
    -rob

Leovold is awesome. I use him as a one of because we can green Suns for him. Everytime I don't gsz for him asap I regret it.

Some changes that I have been trying.

Arachnogenesis and Ishkana
    After losing to flipped delvers really quickly I'm trying these as a way to stop the flyer attack. Both also add fuel to an eventual opposition. A Winters Blast may be worthwhile as well.

The new Nissa looks like it can fit in here. So much card advantage!

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Another top 8 with the original list.

I have added 2 Arachnogenesis and an Ishkana to the board. Those additions have helped dramatically vs fliers

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it's pretty close to the original list. for note:

-4 probe
    +3 baleful strix
    +1 fetch
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    it's pretty close to the original list. for note:

-4 probe
    +3 baleful strix
    +1 fetch
    Funny you mention these changes. I have been thinking for a while about cutting the 4 probes. But if I did that I thought I'd be better off with thoughtseizes instead of cabal therapy. Although we do have the ability to get more value out of the cabal therapy.

The strips would greatly improve our matchup vs fliers.

I thought the deck could use one more land as well. Wasn't sure though if I wanted another basic land though instead of another fetch

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea i think we'll have to hear back from him. generally therapy is going to be better than thoughtseize anyway. there will be times when you blind naming cards will prevent them from reactively casting brainstorm. there will be the few times when you don't hit the card you want, but understanding what cards are good against this deck will allow your cabal therapies to be more on target.

i've been running a 4th cradle over the 3rd trop, but i suppose with strix you can't really get away with that.

really interested in his matchups. pierre said that this was the guy who originally gave him in the list, so this guy probably has the most hours with the deck.
    -rob

hi everyone, I'm proud to be one of the designer of this list and i was very surprised when i discovered this topic and all the work you have been doing around my original build ! On every french forum no one seemed to care...

I would have liked to see all this before the BOM tournament has occurred but i won't complain, i went to a nice top8 last saturday with it.

So... Here is the story of the deck :
    I don't know why i was looking this (i don't play the format) but i saw a standard deck (or maybe T2) with evolutionary leap. Just thought : wow if i got a lot of cantrip guys to sacrifice for it i'll make some insane card advantage ! So i packed visionary and wall of flowers with evolutionary leaps, some gaea's cradle and some tockens producers : Nissa, Gideon (Ally of Zendikar, not the one in the list), and lingering souls. Used to play some oath of Nissa to find a cradle/a creature/or a plainswalker. They were my green brainstorms.
    Gbw Alpha version 0.1.0
    The mecanic was INSANE, drawing all the time producing a huge amount of mana but... Killing was very slow. But i had that feeling i had to continue to dig this way.

At this time i wanted to play brainstorms so i changed a lot of things to make the deck a lot more blue to have force of will but i had to finally remove the Gaea's Craddle... Unsuccessful try.

I came back to the previous version and add green sun's zenith and 2 dryad which happened to be golden in the pack. I removed the white and black to get more blue and found out the coiling oracle :
    Gu Alpha Version 0.1.1

During a whole night testing and a brillant idea, Opposition made it's show ! Evolutionary Leap was discarded, GSZ was taken out and the deck was powerful but never ending any games (if not Garruck).
    Gub Beta version 0.9.0

Finaly i ended up to the BoM Strasbourg Trial on friday with this list : Gub Beta 0.9.1 (I don't remember my exact sideboard so i've put mountains instead..)
    What i remember, is that i had no winter orbs in the sideboard and i went 4-2 with easy wins and 2 tight loss to miracles... During that day, my friend Pierre Canali followed me through my matchs and was amazed with the deck. He told me : I'd love to play it tomorrow. At this time point, the deck was not 10 days old and i was still not very confident with it. So i played another deck and Pierre brought it to the main event with a few modifications.

You can Find his article in the first post of this topic or HERE.
    The list : Gub Opposition Finale 1.0.0

I'll share with you all my feelings about saturday BoM Paris Main Event Asap.
    I hope you enjoyed the reading

kLu
    ps : sry for my approximative english.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

kLu,

thanks for posting. i think there's some small things to hit on when we can go back and forth with decklists. would love to hear the tourney update first though. also have you seen the list that went 5-0 on modo?

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post964489
    -rob

Thread Information