Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Opposition

Re: Oracle Opposition

In fact, Garruck is not my main concern, it's cabal therapy.
    I found it quite strong, but...
    but it's too slow or clumsy against fast combo or reanimator decks. But it can't do anything with top/terminus and when the game slow down, it can't deal with opponent's topdecks...
    Testing force of will is a fresh air and freed the manabase from that early black mana.

But that comes with a price : you have to run a fairly high blue card account.
    In my tests against the metagame, a lot of players got some delvers, creeping tar pit or TNN and garruck was a pretty poor play in those situations.
    I've won another tournament yesterday with the list i posted and i never missed the fat man.
    In fact, I never feel like i have to win fast since i got a few tempo trix and force of will to back up

You should try it.

Mar 2014
    London

I'm glad this deck is still on some peoples radars.
    I will be getting the parts fro it I'm missing online so ill report back after some testing!

Sib

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sibelius View Post
    I'm glad this deck is still on some peoples radars.
    I will be getting the parts fro it I'm missing online so ill report back after some testing!

Sib
    With the rise of Leovold, opposition is pretty bad, as they draw a card with every activation...:/
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm excited about this deck again. Without the risk of Counterbalance I think we can run some more blue cards including force of will. Maybe even a Tradewind rider.

The other option is cutting some other cards in favor of maindeck thorn or some other prison card. Elves was almost an impossible matchup so I think force of will or some other kind of interaction will be preferred.
    -rob

I top8'ed yesterday in a 73 persons tournament in Geneva with the deck.
    the list : // FORMAT : Legacy
    1 [UNH] Forest
    1 [] Underground Sea
    2 [] Bayou
    2 [FUT] Dryad Arbor
    3 [US] Gaea's Cradle
    3 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    3 [] Tropical Island
    4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
    1 [AVR] Craterhoof Behemoth
    1 [] Vizier of the Menagerie
    2 [] Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2 [SC] Wirewood Symbiote
    3 [] Baleful Strix
    3 [RTR] Deathrite Shaman
    3 [] Elvish Visionary
    3 [] Shardless Agent
    4 [] Coiling Oracle
    4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
    3 [7E] Opposition
    1 [] Brainstorm
    3 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
    SB: 1 [UNH] Swamp
    SB: 3 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 [THS] Thoughtseize
    SB: 1 [] Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 3 [] Fatal Push
    SB: 1 [] Reclamation Sage
    SB: 3 [ZEN] Marsh Casualties
    SB: 2 [LRW] Thorn of Amethyst

I lost to add nauseum, draw against a grixis (very good match up) and won : elves!, UR delver, grixis, sneak & show and ichorid.
    The game against combo was a joke for the both of us and he won because of a mystake i did.
    Elves! is a pretty though match up but force of will helped a lot against the first natural order (he finaly passed one for 17 dmg, i was 18 so i blocked 3 and i finaly won after dealing with his deathrite shaman). The second game i've let him tutor his visionary, with which he drew 3 cards and then tutored leovold. I've set my engine up and accumulated some force of will against any threat he could oppose. A marsh casualties ended the game.
    Against sneak & show, he won the first after setting up a fast S&T (i had no opposition in hand). The second i've let him resolve S&T to let an opposition come into play which won me the game. The third was easy, he drew nothing but lands (no fetchlands after brainstorm due to blood moon...).
    UR delver, i had enough hate for his threat, and went through pillars and harsh mentors without too much troube. Even nemesis can be dealt with due to marsh casualties.
    Ichorid was very very hard and brainconsuming. Both game, i've got down to just a few hp but some good decisions maintained me alive just enough time to get to deal with the zombies or the big grave-troll

1/4 final against Eldrazi, i started a bit mana short and got some trouble getting some more lands/mana and finaly lost both game lacking just a few little thing to win the game...

So this is my 3rd time playing this deck in some major events.
    Paris, september 2016 at BoM (195 players) top 8 :
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13462&d=279098&f=LE
    Paris, April 2017 at Eternal Week end (448 players) : 6-3
    Geneva, April 2017 (73 players) top 8

And a few more in my local store.

I have to say i'm quite happy with the ban of top. Miracle was not impossible to win, but always hard.
    Vizier is quite good against the mass removals or leovold.

I'll appreciate any feedback or questions.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Glad to see you're still playing the deck! I haven't touched it in a while due to the bad elves matchups and my local store playing a lot of combo.

Interesting to see you cut therapy probe and garruk. I really liked garruk in the list and he won me a lot of matches when I played the deck. Did you run into any opposing Leo's?
    -rob

I've faced many leovold but we have several answers.
    coiling oracle can keep us drawing into some win conditions or decays.
    Decays can directly deal with it without being countered.
    Leovold can let us use opposition while our opponent got his.

I'm not saying we don't care, leovold is one of our main concern, but we got some ways to deal with it. I've not lost against Leo being the only threat but he can buy enough time against us to let them draw the toxic deluge, golgari charm or the food chain combo.

I haven't touched it in a while due to the bad elves matchups
    With force of will, Leovold, 3 fatal push and the 3 marsh casualties, i've not lost my 3 last match against elves. It's not what i'd say a good match up anyway.

But the only metagame in which i don't want to take this deck is in a combo-heavy metagame (storm, reanimator, painter, elves ... ?)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thanks for the update. i completely had not considered having out our own leo would deny them the card drawing. that's pretty great.

what would you say is the worst non-blue card in the deck? i think next time i play this i would still like to have 1 garruk in the main :D
    -rob

I'd say the slot for the Garruck would be the one i've removed my 4th decay for : the vizier. This slot, for me is there to come back from a wrath effect so i think they'll do the same.
    I really liked garruck but in fact, I think he was at his best against miracle and that it is quite a poor choice against nemesis/bolt/delver.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Looking at the first list, this is somewhat similar to a NO GUx list I was looking at possibly doing. I'd consider NO and Prog in the list instead of a couple probes/whatever, maybe in place of a GSZ or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quick report:

3 Gaea's Cradle
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    2 Bayou
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Underground Sea

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Coiling Oracle
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Elvish Visionary
    1 Dwynen's Elite
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Deranged Hermit
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Opposition

Side

3 Faerie Macabre
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Marsh Casualties
    1 Spellskite
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize

Played the weekly yestarday (~30 people):
    G1 vs UB Reanimator
    I ramp, but cannot find Ooze or DRS before he reanimates Griselbrand. Couldn't find Therapy either :(
    +3 FM +1 FS +1 CT +3 TS
    -3 AD -1 Behemoth -3 Opp -1 Symbiote
    Have FM in opening hand which saves me from exhume t2. I manage to get Ooze with tons of mana and very good presure but he finds Pithing Needle for it and goes for Elesh. GG!
    0-1

G2 vs Zombardment
    Quick Ooze takes the game easily.
    +2 Fatal Push +1 Marsh Casualties
    -3 Cabal Therapy
    Get stuck with Dryad Arbor and Tropical for the entire game. Draw at least +3 cards with Symbiote+Oracle. Happens!
    Game 3 he starts early beats, I develop my board and Opposition takes the game.

1-1

G3 vs 4c Aggro Loam
    T3 Opposition under his Dark Confidant that I cannot respond. He draws a lot of cards but Leovold+random 1/1 lock the game while attacking for 5 a turn (hierarchs)
    -3 Baleful Strix -3 CT
    +1 Spellskite +3 Fatal Push +2 Macabre
    T1 Confidant from his side reveals Fire Covenant (!). Kills my Dryad Arbor and Hierarch+Wasteland game 3 it is!
    Lots of cheap creatures and Opposition take the game quickly.

2-1

G4 vs Esper Stoneblade (with Thopter/Meek combo added)
    I clear the path for Opposition with Therapy while taking 3 from a TNN. Dwynen's+Symbiote flood the board and take the game from there.
    -3 Baleful Strix -3 Cabal Therapy
    +1 Spellskite +3 Thoughtseize +2 Marsh Casualties
    I overextend a little with creatures and run into Perish (my opponent was stuck on lands, I tried to capitalize and fail horribly). Visionary+Symbiote recover the advantage and a timely Behemot seals the deal.

3-1

G5 vs Esper Stoneblade

The only relevant spell he plays is Ponder. I have a fast aggresive hand and win quickly.
    -2 Baleful Strix -3 Cabal Therapy
    +1 Spellskite +3 Thoughtseize +1 Flusterstorm (he is on heavy spot removal list)
    I took a Supreme Veredict with TS but couldn't resolve Opposition. He kills tons of creatures and lands Jace (he's at 9. I have Hierarch and Dryad but he has a couple of blockers. I manage to find Behemoth the last
    turn before he -12 me but he double swords my creatures (Hierarch was tapped). Almost is never enough!
    Game 3 I keep a very bad hand and got punished for it.

From my annotations... I think the 4th Opposition is a must. It is the card that makes this pile of value into a real threat. Also the manabase sometimes is very annoying to cast spells on time, specially Strix and Opposition.
    I played this deck a couple of times in the past and always thought that Elves is much better (still think it is), but hell it is a blast to play indeed.

Hello guys,
    I made another top8 last sunday with my oppo deck in a 30 persons tournament.
    I played almost the same list as my previous one.

For people that think this is just a bad version of elves, it's wrong.

The match ups are very different.

Aggro :
    [++]Grixis & Bug aggro match are excellent.
    [-] UR delver depends only on price of progress
    [+]Death & Taxes match is good
    [+]I've not played Eldrazi Aggro much but all the later tests were in my favor.
    [.]Infect can be though, we have only few options to deal with his creatures.
    [--]burn is hard

Control :
    [+]Uwx doesn't have counterbalance and easy access to terminus. It must be easier than it used to be
    [+]BUG Midrange can do a fast Nemesis with eventualy jitte on it. It must do it otherwise it can't win.
    [.]Stoneblade : same as above
    [+]Grixis & Bug Control can't deal with all our value
    [.]Loam & Lands can have a wasteland on our cradle with tabernacle on board. In addition, marit lage can be hard to deal with, mostly because of krosan grip.

Combo :
    [+]Show & Tell : we got many options but the fact we can put an opposition in play face down when they put an emrakul is golden. Won me many match.
    [-]Storm : we are a bit slow, leovold & force of will help anyway.
    [--]Elves : very hard game one. Balanced game 2..
    [.]Reanimator : we got many weapons to win the game. Beside that, Rea is very fast and can prevent disruption.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

sounds great that you're still using it. congrats.
    -rob

mtggoldfish just posted this video about this slightly different take on BUG Opposition, what do you guys think?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...c-309580a9b4c2

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionz View Post
    mtggoldfish just posted this video about this slightly different take on BUG Opposition, what do you guys think?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...c-309580a9b4c2
    The list looks really good. What I like about it is that there is enough chaff to fit removal and discard and still keep a solid core! I think a single Veteran Explorer and 3-4 Therapies would be pretty good.

I could see Avenger and Sidisi become something like Master of the Wild Hunt and/or Deranged Hermit.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

It was either a mtgo list or a Japanese player. I saw it on hareruya.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    I could see Avenger and Sidisi become something like Master of the Wild Hunt and/or Deranged Hermit.
    I'm not an expert on the deck but I tried a couple of games with a similar deck using Chasm Skulker and I think that card is also okay (although that was a different build with Pyromancer/Therapy so there were more ways to sacrifice it).

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

Hey guys, shameless plug here for my channel, just thought some people here might enjoy watching this deck. A friend of mine has been working on it recently and is playing a BUG Opposition list that closely mirrors a lot of the builds in here, but I don't think he actually reads this forum. I caught some footage of it recently and despite not getting a very common matchup for him to play against, I think the games are decent and a good showing for the deck.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or want the list, I can probably get him to provide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPBj5aPfxA

Quote Originally Posted by ashent View Post
    Hey guys, shameless plug here for my channel, just thought some people here might enjoy watching this deck. A friend of mine has been working on it recently and is playing a BUG Opposition list that closely mirrors a lot of the builds in here, but I don't think he actually reads this forum. I caught some footage of it recently and despite not getting a very common matchup for him to play against, I think the games are decent and a good showing for the deck.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or want the list, I can probably get him to provide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPBj5aPfxA
    Nice video, will love to see the list. Is Edric, Spymaster of Trest a sideboard card for him?

Is anyone still playing this deck post Deathrite ban? I'm no quite sure where to go with the deck, or if should still even be BUG or Bant, but this is the list I'm currently testing. Would love to hear any feedback and ideas!

4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Birds of Paradise
    2 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Coiling Oracle
    3 Baleful Strix
    4 Elvish Visionary
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest

4 Brainstorm
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Abrupt Decay