Thread: U/R Artifact Reanimator

Jul 2016
    USA

U/R Artifact Reanimator

Introduction

I've always really loved the card Goblin Welder, and have tried to make it work for a while. Ever since Daretti was printed, I think the idea has gotten a boost. Having a hard-to-kill permanent that does everything you want it to is absolutely great for the deck. I started out with a Mono Red Prison style deck, but I didn't like this because the prison elements hurt us too. The second one I worked on was a R/W version that tried to pump out the reanimation as fast as possible. I didn't like this version because counterspells stopped it pretty effectively. I think that this is the best version I've made, and I would like to build on it as much as possible. If you like attacking with giant robots and overwhelming the opponent, this deck is for you.

How it Works

//Artifact (10)
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Lightning Greaves
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

//Artifact Creature (4)
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Wurmcoil Engine

//Instant (12)
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    2 Intuition
    2 Izzet Charm

//Planeswalker (1)
    1 Daretti, Scrap Savant

//Sorcery (10)
    4 Careful Study
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Trash for Treasure

//Creature (4)
    4 Goblin Welder

//Land (17)
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Seat of the Synod
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Great Furnace

SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Pyroblast
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Spell Pierce
    SB: 1 Spine of Ish Sah
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Wipe Away

The deck works very similar to Painted Stone, except instead of the Painter's Servant and Grindstone combo, we just reanimate big robots. We use the cards Faithless Looting, Careful Study, Izzet Charm, and Intuition to find and dump our giant robo-dudes into the yard. These cards also find Daretti, and Goblin Welder to reanimate them. By having the Mirrodin artifact lands we can trade in a land for an Inkwell Leviathan! You have permission with Force of Will and Daze to protect our combo, and also counter graveyard hate in games 2 and 3. Ensnaring Bridge I thought was a good add to the deck so we can stop aggressive decks to attack in and Welder it away so we can attack with our big robots. Sensei's Divining Top is easily one of the best cards in the deck. It digs for our pieces, we can tap it to draw, hold priority, Welder it to the graveyard for our robot and still draw the card. Lightning Greaves helps Welder stay alive and allows us to attack with our robots if we can't make them on our opponents end step. Cavern of Souls also helps us resolve our Welders since we're not really casting any other creature. Chrome Mox is just fast mana, and are used to power out our combo faster. Trash for Treasure is used as another reanimation spell, because I wanted to cut some number of Daretti since it costs four mana, but wanted to still have the same number of reanimation spells. Our reanimation targets are Inkwell Leviathan, Platinum Emperion, Wurmcoil Engine, and Sundering Titan. But these can be whatever you like. Something I like about this deck is you have potential for instant speed reanimation, so you can adjust these targets to your liking.

Color Splashes
    As mentioned in the replies to this thread, splashing Black for Entomb + Reanimate might be a good plan. This build functions more as a traditional reanimator deck, only with Goblin Welder for extra reanimation. Splashing Black also gives you access to some good sideboard cards.
    Splashing White I think is the worse of the two splashes that I've been told about. Splashing white gives you accesss to a more Imperial Painter Build. Imperial Recruiter (or the new one from Conspiracy 2,) to fetch up the Welder and some other utility creatures. This build runs more like a prison deck rather than a combo deck, using Blood Moons and Chalice to lock the opponent out.

Sideboard Time!

The 2 Ensnaring Bridge is for the creature decks in the format, such as Delver and Stoneforge Mystic decks. The Flusterstorms and Spell Pierce are for opposing combo decks, such as ANT and Belcher. 2 Pyroblast is for any blue deck. Shattering Spree is for artifacts like Chalice that can really hurt the strategy. Spine of Ish Sah for Sneak and show, because we can Show and Tell it in or reanimate it to destroy their Griselbrand or Emrakul. Surgical Extraction is for Combo decks. Tormod's Crypt is for any graveyard deck, Loam, Dredge, Reanimator. It's especially good because we can reuse it with Goblin Welder at instant speed. The 2 Wipe Away is because of Counterbalance. Counter-Top shuts off SO MUCH in this deck.

Conclusion

I really like the idea for this deck, and this is just a base. Please give me your thoughts on the deck and some ways I can improve it. All constructed criticism is considered and appreciated. Anyways, thanks for reading about my silly brew, and have a great day. :D
    Last edited by Blackweb; 08-22-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Re: U/R Artifact Reanimator

Looks like a fun idea. Some thoughts,

Replace the MD angel with Emperion, it's harder to kill.
    MD the spine so you have some sort of removal
    Maybe even MD shattering spree, the deck does sort of fold to Chalice at one and you can also use it to kill one of your guys in response to StP
    Cavern of souls to ensure your goblin can make it through, probably cut a volcanic and one of each artifact land for 3 cavern

Cuts could be intuition and gamble, with the card draw you have you probably don't need as many copies of these. Could go down to 3 and 2 respectively.

I don't know that 4 copies of Pyro blasts is necessary, may want some combination of Pyro blasts and spell Pierce.

Maybe shrapnel blast could find a place here as well.

Just some ruminations.

I like the Idea, my only problem is that from what I can tell is that you only have 6 ways of getting stuff back from the yard. One of them takes a full turn before you can use it, and dies to every form of removal, the other costs 4 mana.
    If I can make some suggestions Sundering Titan might be an option, and lotus petals help you ramp, and are easy sac targets for welder. Also lightning greeves is also might be something to look into

Years ago I saw a B/R version which operated more like a traditional reanimator but with welders. It gives you the ability to get dudes in play faster with entomb, and reanimate / exhume, but lacks the flexibility that blue offers. Regardless let us know how your testing goes.

Jul 2016
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROorDIE View Post
    Looks like a fun idea. Some thoughts,

Replace the MD angel with Emperion, it's harder to kill.
    MD the spine so you have some sort of removal
    Maybe even MD shattering spree, the deck does sort of fold to Chalice at one and you can also use it to kill one of your guys in response to StP
    Cavern of souls to ensure your goblin can make it through, probably cut a volcanic and one of each artifact land for 3 cavern

Cuts could be intuition and gamble, with the card draw you have you probably don't need as many copies of these. Could go down to 3 and 2 respectively.

I don't know that 4 copies of Pyro blasts is necessary, may want some combination of Pyro blasts and spell Pierce.

Maybe shrapnel blast could find a place here as well.

Just some ruminations.
    I like changing Angel for Emperion and will definitely implement that. About Spine it's very expensive to just plain kill stuff, and they can kill my welder in-between reanimating the spine if I were to do it that route. I like the idea of the main deck Shattering Spree but in my meta there isn't very many artifact prison decks, which is what I put it in the sb for. Feel free to main deck it if you want, seems like a good insurance policy. I also really like Cavern. The only creature we're actually going to cast is the Welder anyways. In terms of cuts to the main deck, I think that Intuition is very good for reanimation, but with our cantrips we should be able to find more of them. Also I ran Gamble as more copies of Intuition. Gamble could very easily be trimmed. I think that Pyroblast is really great against counterspell decks, but I agree that cutting them for some other counters could be good.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Is there no space for Thirst for Knowledge here? This totally reminds me of the old Tools n Tubbies Vintage deck.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Jul 2016
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by moseby View Post
    I like the Idea, my only problem is that from what I can tell is that you only have 6 ways of getting stuff back from the yard. One of them takes a full turn before you can use it, and dies to every form of removal, the other costs 4 mana.
    If I can make some suggestions Sundering Titan might be an option, and lotus petals help you ramp, and are easy sac targets for welder. Also lightning greeves is also might be something to look into

Years ago I saw a B/R version which operated more like a traditional reanimator but with welders. It gives you the ability to get dudes in play faster with entomb, and reanimate / exhume, but lacks the flexibility that blue offers. Regardless let us know how your testing goes.
    I think Sundering Titan should be really good, especially since I can hit multiple dual lands with it. I don't know about Petal tho, we have enough cantrips to find our lands to play Daretti. It is a great sac target but I have Top, Bridge and the artifact lands. I also had greaves in the very first version of the deck and I think it would be very good in this version as well. As for running black, I think the best card for the strategy from the color is Entomb. I think the reanimation is good, but we aren't trying to reanimate our guys as fast as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jul 2016
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    Is there no space for Thirst for Knowledge here? This totally reminds me of the old Tools n Tubbies Vintage deck.
    Thirst is good but it costs too much for a discard outlet. Gamble, Looting and Careful Study all cost 1. We don't have as much mana ramp as Vintage does, so I don't like it in the deck.

Really cool concept. I'll throw in my thoughts.

Someone mentioned it before: your reanimation suite is very vulnerable. You do run Greaves to protect Welder, but the only way of equipping T2 is playing Welder T1 and thus being weak to removal. Daretti comes online on T4 at the earliest, which seems too late, given UBx Reanimator powers out Griselbrand T2 with more protection than you have. I would consider some artifact mana (Grim Monolith, Chrome Mox, Izzet Signet?) and definitely Ancient Tomb to fix this (T1 Furnace Looting, T2 Tomb Greaves Welder). More artifacts might be helpful when you're looking for something to sack to Welder. Have you found the deck to be artifact-light?

6 reanimation effects seems a low number, even with so many cantrips.

As robots, I would agree that Sundering Titan is great as might be Myr Battlesphere, as your reanimators are reusable.

My main point is about your protection suite which consists of just Force at the moment. UBx Reanimator runs up to 4 Forces, 4 Dazes plus Discard. And it is faster than your deck, because Reanimate does not suffer from summoning sickness. I think there are some things this color combination (UR) has going for it, however. You could run Chalice, losing cantrips and Looting. You gain protection from Swords and Lightning Bolt and you might run Izzet Charm as a substitute with bonus options. Pitches to Force, kills Deathrite Shaman, counters Liliana. Cavern helps you cast Welder under Chalice. Otherwise, have you considered Daze? Or Blood Moon?

I like Intuition a lot in the deck. Could you run 3 Darettis to Intuition for it?

Keep posting how it goes, please.

Transmute Artifact is probably worth considering some number of somewhere in here.
    Hill Giant means business.

Jul 2016
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tourach View Post
    Really cool concept. I'll throw in my thoughts.

Someone mentioned it before: your reanimation suite is very vulnerable. You do run Greaves to protect Welder, but the only way of equipping T2 is playing Welder T1 and thus being weak to removal. Daretti comes online on T4 at the earliest, which seems too late, given UBx Reanimator powers out Griselbrand T2 with more protection than you have. I would consider some artifact mana (Grim Monolith, Chrome Mox, Izzet Signet?) and definitely Ancient Tomb to fix this (T1 Furnace Looting, T2 Tomb Greaves Welder). More artifacts might be helpful when you're looking for something to sack to Welder. Have you found the deck to be artifact-light?

6 reanimation effects seems a low number, even with so many cantrips.

As robots, I would agree that Sundering Titan is great as might be Myr Battlesphere, as your reanimators are reusable.

My main point is about your protection suite which consists of just Force at the moment. UBx Reanimator runs up to 4 Forces, 4 Dazes plus Discard. And it is faster than your deck, because Reanimate does not suffer from summoning sickness. I think there are some things this color combination (UR) has going for it, however. You could run Chalice, losing cantrips and Looting. You gain protection from Swords and Lightning Bolt and you might run Izzet Charm as a substitute with bonus options. Pitches to Force, kills Deathrite Shaman, counters Liliana. Cavern helps you cast Welder under Chalice. Otherwise, have you considered Daze? Or Blood Moon?

I like Intuition a lot in the deck. Could you run 3 Darettis to Intuition for it?

Keep posting how it goes, please.
    I like pretty much all your ideas, especially Izzet Charm. The only things I have to say that I disagree with is Chalice and Blood Moon. With both of those cards the deck would have to be changed substantially. Also, since we're adding a lot of artifact mana, I think Ancient Tomb isn't great; mainly because it doesn't tap for colored mana, and it also hurts us. Thank you very much for all these great suggestions. I'm currently trying to implement them.

Thanks!

Jul 2016
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    Transmute Artifact is probably worth considering some number of somewhere in here.
    We won't pay for anything we transmute into, if we're just trying to entomb an artifact, Intuition is much better. It puts two in the grave and we don't have to sac an artifact when it enters.

Quote Originally Posted by moseby View Post

this really needs Entomb+Reanimate to get beyond cute fun deck imo, alternatively eiither Painter+welder&robots or Reanimator+Welder might work
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

This is a 3 card combo that relys on the graveyard to work.
    When will this deck ever be better than SnT into Emrakul or Omniscience?

Which is why SnT shouldn't be a card to me. There is no way to do something better with one card.

Trash for Treasure fits the theme, IMHO.

Jul 2016
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    This is a 3 card combo that relys on the graveyard to work.
    When will this deck ever be better than SnT into Emrakul or Omniscience?

Which is why SnT shouldn't be a card to me. There is no way to do something better with one card.
    It probably won't, but I just wanted some help on my pet deck. :p

Jul 2016
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Kagehisa View Post
    Trash for Treasure fits the theme, IMHO.
    I agree, I'll look and see if it can fit into the deck. Especially since it doesn't get killed by EVERYTHING. lol

Thread Information