Thread: Spell Queller and X Spells

Spell Queller and X Spells

Let's say I exile Entreat the Angels cast off its Miracle trigger. The CMC is 3 where both X are 0 since it's being cast off Miracle, right?

When Queller dies, can they declare that each X is 9001 and cast it for free getting 9001 tokens?
    Normally there's a X = 0 in cast for free clauses but this doesn't have it.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Spell Queller and X Spells

X values are the same for all instances on the card.
    CMC is always the top right value.
    X costed spells are the paid value on the stack.

So a miracle'd Entreat with X=3 has a CMC of 9 on the stack.

When you play an X costed spell without paying it's mana cost, X is always zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Let's say I exile Entreat the Angels cast off its Miracle trigger. The CMC is 3 where both X are 0 since it's being cast off Miracle, right?
    No, the CMC of a spell with X in it is whatever the cost for X is being paid, while the spell is on the stack.

107.3a If a spell or activated ability has a mana cost, alternative cost, additional cost, and/or activation cost with an {X}, [-X], or X in it, and the value of X isn’t defined by the text of that spell or ability, the controller of that spell or ability chooses and announces the value of X as part of casting the spell or activating the ability. (See rule 601, “Casting Spells.”) While a spell is on the stack, any X in its mana cost or in any alternative cost or additional cost it has equals the announced value. While an activated ability is on the stack, any X in its activation cost equals the announced value.
    So, Entreat's CMC is equal to the announced cost of X plus 3. Unless they cast Etreat for Zero, you can't traget it with Queller.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    When Queller dies, can they declare that each X is 9001 and cast it for free getting 9001 tokens?
    Normally there's a X = 0 in cast for free clauses but this doesn't have it.
    No, if you cast it using an alternate cost, or not pay it's cost at all, X has to equal zero:

107.3b If a player is casting a spell that has an {X} in its mana cost, the value of X isn’t defined by the text of that spell, and an effect lets that player cast that spell while paying neither its mana cost nor an alternative cost that includes X, then the only legal choice for X is 0. This doesn’t apply to effects that only reduce a cost, even if they reduce it to zero. See rule 601, “Casting Spells.”
    So, no, 9001 is not a valid choice, zero is the only choice.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    X values are the same for all instances on the card.
    Good to know, thank you!
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Thread Information